Grabbed Dune Part 2 tix, looks amazing & who elsešŸ‘

CANtalk

Cheap Tuesday, early show since it's near 3 hrs long
Happy Well Done GIF by Top Talent

VIP 19+ w/ food & alcohol, should be great :nod:. I saw the first Dune in the theatres first week of release 2021 :clap:

Excellent in so many ways, like source material, epic director, big budget, etc. And iirc rated 97% on Rotten Tomatoes šŸŒ‹

I can't be alone in looking forward to this, who else here?

:peace: :leaf:

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
Sounds great! I will have to check if we have anything like that here, with the food & drinks. I know one place 10min walk from where I live that does this but haven't checked for Dune tickets yet..

I have to be honest I was a bit disappointed with part 1.. Partly because I had read the books, but I do usually try to walk in with an open mind when watching movies based on books I've read. Directors and producers have their own artistic visions. I guess what really got to me was how they changed the name Muad Dib from the books to Mahdi in the movies. It's like taking a fictional western name and changing it to some common name like Tim.. Kinda ruined the whole vibe when I was sitting in the theaters for part 1

Still looking forward to part 2 though :)

CANtalk

I'm going to a typical movie muliplex with that screen room option.

Enjoy the trailers, some super hi-res selectable

CANtalk,
Reactions: Tellus

vapirtoo

I've read all the books and both the old Dune and this current one try to follow the books.
My 34 yr. old son loved the new one and would actually want to see it again!
All of the Imax screens are sold out here in Queens N.Y.

CANtalk

I luv Imax but they're none local yet (just liemax).

Great to see all the book readers! I would say books are always better than movies, but I still really enjoy many movies adapted from books. There's a lot of artistry (good & bad) to make a book into a 2 hr movie. Look at Ridley Scott's 1982 Blade Runner, based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? with changes. Excellent.

Dune is a lot to condense. David Lynch's 1984 Dune also made some different big & controversial changes over the books.

More movie info, cheers

Pukka

My mom was bored when I was a tyke (pops traveled a lot for work) so she taught me to read really young. It caused an addiction only seconded by VAS. The last move (like 20 years ago) the combined collection between The Wife and I was something around 200 standard U-Haul packing boxes. I guess you could say we're hardcore readers.

I very seldomly enjoy watching movies based on books after reading tbe book. The book is always better, immho. I allow two exceptions, _Mother Night_ and _Slaughterhouse Five_ by Kurt Vonnigut, both books have excellent movie adoptations.. The same with movie remakes. Working with the assumption that the OG director/producer created perfection how can anyone believe that they can improve it with a remake?

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
I've read all the books and both the old Dune and this current one try to follow the books.
My 34 yr. old son loved the new one and would actually want to see it again!
All of the Imax screens are sold out here in Queens N.Y.
I agree both do follow the books. the old movie maybe followed the books a bit too much.. It was almost a literal translation? But i did like how the audience get to hear the characters thoughts out loud. It was funny watching but also good

Great to see all the book readers! I would say books are always better than movies, but I still really enjoy many movies adapted from books. There's a lot of artistry (good & bad) to make a book into a 2 hr movie. Look at Ridley Scott's 1982 Blade Runner, based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? with changes. Excellent.
I actually read, Do androids dream of electric sheep.
The book was much darker than the movie.
I enjoyed the movie more. The new one not as much.
I started reading the book last year, a chapter maybe, just forgot to go back. But I did enjoy Blade Runner!

...the combined collection between The Wife and I was something around 200 standard U-Haul packing boxes. I guess you could say we're hardcore readers.
I would love to spend a few months at your place looking through all those books would be a nice vacation for me heh
I very seldomly enjoy watching movies based on books after reading tbe book. The book is always better, immho. I allow two exceptions, _Mother Night_ and _Slaughterhouse Five_ by Kurt Vonnigut, both books have excellent movie adoptations.. The same with movie remakes. Working with the assumption that the OG director/producer created perfection how can anyone believe that they can improve it with a remake?
I felt the same before but try to give movies a chance, it can be a different art form. But then I don't watch movies too often so I maybe miss out on the bad adaptations

Have tickets for noon today!!!
I guess noon has passed?? Hope you enjoyed it, but no spoilers I have to wait to the weekend

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Wasnt a bad movie ,but that love drama between the main dude and zendaya was a bit too much. The ending scene where she got neglected and got depressed and went for a worm ride was hilarious, but in no way epic after all that happened before ,so that was pretty weak IMO ,otherwise cool scenes and graphics ,but no where near the magic of the OGs.

vapirtoo

At one point in my life, I had read all of Vonnegut's novels and even one from his son!
Frank Herbert believed that women soldiers would be more humane than men.
I used to feel that way when I was younger; now I'm not so sure. Anyway, hows about
a nice big cup of that spice melange.

CANtalk

Sounds like many have & will see this movie, share ur feedback & enjoy :tup:
Fight Film GIF by Dune Movie

:love: :love:Excellent visuals & so much world building

Miami Vice Deal With It GIF

CANtalk,

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Was into Science Fiction when I was a teenager, 60 f-ing years ago and read Dune way back then. Drove south yesterday to North Conway: Outstanding pastrami at Moat Mtn. and a big strong hoppy ale. Had the Crafty + loaded for the five minute drive to the theater. Bought a cup a coffee with my ticket and sat back. No trailers, previews, or public service announcements. Lights went down and the drama began. An enjoyable and engaging movie, more entertaining and distracting from the world's and my problems than I expected. As a science, history, and books guy, I find too many movies stupid and/or boring. This was neither. Highly recommend.

Sounds great! I will have to check if we have anything like that here, with the food & drinks. I know one place 10min walk from where I live that does this but haven't checked for Dune tickets yet..

I have to be honest I was a bit disappointed with part 1.. Partly because I had read the books, but I do usually try to walk in with an open mind when watching movies based on books I've read. Directors and producers have their own artistic visions. I guess what really got to me was how they changed the name Muad Dib from the books to Mahdi in the movies. It's like taking a fictional western name and changing it to some common name like Tim.. Kinda ruined the whole vibe when I was sitting in the theaters for part 1

Still looking forward to part 2 though :)
I read the books too, but it has been 30 years. This remake shifted towards female empowerment. Dr. Kynes was Chani's father if memory serves. Jessica's role and Chani's role has been expanded. That said, I did purchase the BR DVD, and when part 2 is available, I will purchase it as well. Movies rarely equal the books. Now the CGI.... wow... on part 1.

vapirtoo

I have read all of the Dune books, and this current crop of films do a fairly good job.
My peeps have rated it around a 75 to 85 mostly due to the lack of plot development.
I want to see it again, so for me it was pretty good. ( The guild and their spice addiction
was not expanded on.)

bellona0544

Saw it in 70mm IMAX with a friend and some edibles and it was incredible. Everything I wanted out of the second half of Dune. Villenueve mentioned he wasn't gong to make a third one unless he could make it even better than the second, so I am hopeful that they take their time to finish the story of Paul with all the spectacle it deserves.

Top Bottom