Got a one eyed cat

tdavie

Unconscious Objector

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

About 2 weeks ago I started some holidays, mostly with the intention of buying a house (delays though....sigh). However, I did adopt a one eyed cat from a local shelter.

The little guys name was Winky, although GF renamed him to Uther Pendragon. Had him isolated to one room of the house for 7 days, gradually introducing one animal after another.

He's now fully integrated into a house with 3 other cats and 4 dogs, and doing pretty well. I've never had a cat before, only dogs, so this is an adventure.

Don't know why he lost the eye (it was removed at 2 months of age, this is an old photo by the way), but I'll find out when I take him to the vet for a check up. Other than a tendency towards being startled if he is approached from the right side (he's got his left eye), he seems as mobile as any other of GF's cats.

Any advice for a new cat owner trying to keep a kitten entertained?

thanks

Tom

tdavie,

crawdad

floatin
tdavie said:
He's now fully integrated into a house with 3 other cats and 4 dogs, and doing pretty well. I've never had a cat before, only dogs, so this is an adventure.

Any advice for a new cat owner trying to keep a kitten entertained?

you say you have 3 other cats but never had a cat before, not sure what you mean there. just give the little guy attention like petting and some play time like put on a glove and have him chase your hand on the ground. some cats tend to like shoe laces, so ive learned over the years.

i just rescued an animal last week myself, a dog.

crawdad,

stinkmeaner

That is a very compassionate thing to do tdavie, considering a disabled cats chances of adoption are pretty slim which makes the chances of him being euthanize pretty high.

The cats I have known have always loved those chasing toys, the ones on a fiberglass pole attached to a string, they love to chase and paw at them. Also cats love fresh cat nip if you can find it at a pet or feed store.

Uther Pendragon... now that is a Merlin fan. Just make sure you don't do any magic around young Uther cat or he will surely hang you.

stinkmeaner,

lwien

stinkmeaner said:
Just make sure you don't do any magic around the cat or he will surely hang you.

Cats themselves can be pretty magical, eh?

Hats off to you guys who adopted pets from shelter.

/salute

lwien,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@crawdad. There are other cats, but they belong to GF. So it's a bit of a learning curve for me. I got the kitten (bout 7 months of age) from a no kill shelter, so he never would have been euthanized. But he was in the shelter for 5 months because no one wanted a one eyed cat, perhaps figuring they were more expensive for vet visits and health care.

So far he likes (dog wise) the Golden Retriever because it's so damn calm. Not too fond of the Cairn Terrier or the Greyhound though.

lwien; I'm only getting my pets from shelters or no kill organizations from now on. Never from a pet store. Although 2 years ago, I drove to the States to get the terrier from a breeder.

Tom

tdavie,

crawdad

floatin
ah. cats do like their independence/isolation but some will want more attention then others, have to pay attention to their habits (does he follow you around? if so he is longing for more attention). ive been a cat owner to 4 different cats in a range of about 8-9 years, all roamers who were looking for a home.

i usually adopt from the road, and i mean "the road" but otherwise i pick up from rescue shelters or "the pound". pet stores are for accessories, i know there are animals there too but the price is usually a major deterrent not to mention we have enough wandering around without breeding for a profit.

crawdad,

lwien

Around here, pet stores that sell dogs and cats are going out of business like crazy.

lwien,

vapirtoo

I've always taken in kittens from the street or from people who don't want them.
These cats always become a focal point for all of my visitor/roommates .
Currently I have brother and sister cats that are six years old with the male
looking just like Iwien's avatar only older and no headphones.
Question: Do your cats get the munchies after sitting around as you vape?

vapirtoo,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
All of our fur babies are rescued, and some are disabled.

I'm glad to hear someone else adopting. :)

Vicki,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I had left the cats alone for about 24 hours when I went to GF's house on Friday, taking my 2 dogs with me. Got back about 4 hours ago, and found I no longer had a) growing bamboo plants in the living room, b) a flowering/fruiting Christmas cactus, and c) some kind of perpetually flowering acalypha (really don't know the common name).

Guess I've got one hell of a learning curve in front of me :)

Tom

tdavie,

SmokingElectricity

Awesome story. I rescued both of my cats from bad situations. one was left unconcious in a black garbage bag with a note on it "put me to sleep" at my vets office. the other i found while working in queens, roaming the streets starving. now they are both happy, chubby cats.

as for kitten tips. just give it lots of love and food... and be prepaired to have some of your stuff broke LOL.

here are mah 2 rescues.
twins6.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@SmokingElectricity. Your cats look very com tent. The one to the 'upper right' looks like it tules the roost.

It was 'coldish' today's (-12), so I lilt a fire in the fireplace, and found that the cats have not moved away from the fireplace in over 6 hours. Bout 3-4 feet away.

When I woke up at 9 am, they were weaving in and out between my feet, causing a very uncoordinated me to trip :)

So far, the dogs seem to be avoiding them.

Tom

tdavie,
SmokingElectricity said:
Awesome story. I rescued both of my cats from bad situations. one was left unconcious in a black garbage bag with a note on it "put me to sleep" at my vets office. the other i found while working in queens, roaming the streets starving. now they are both happy, chubby cats.

as for kitten tips. just give it lots of love and food... and be prepaired to have some of your stuff broke LOL.

here are mah 2 rescues.
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3221/twins6.jpg

I hope whoever abandoned the first cat gets ebola.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom