Going to get into vapes, what do i choose (portable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

So the idea of vaping is very appealing to me and i plan to switch over compleatly from combustion.

im looking for a portable vape to use on the go, money is not really an issue and i sort of have my eyes set on the new da vinci ascent but until its reviewed and tested im looking to pick something else up for now.

Is the MFLB good for a first timer and will it hold any use after i potentially get an ascent? I like that it is very small and discreet.

Also is there king of the portables like the volcano is to desktop users that i should consider?

Pepper,

hoptimum

So the idea of vaping is very appealing to me and i plan to switch over compleatly from combustion.

im looking for a portable vape to use on the go, money is not really an issue and i sort of have my eyes set on the new da vinci ascent but until its reviewed and tested im looking to pick something else up for now.

Is the MFLB good for a first timer and will it hold any use after i potentially get an ascent? I like that it is very small and discreet.

Also is there king of the portables like the volcano is to desktop users that i should consider?

Theres portable and theres stealthy. While I would agree that the Solo is an excellent portable vaporizer, its too big to be considered really stealthy, about the size of a red bull can. Plus you have to have the glass stems with you. The mflb really is stealthy, but theres more of a learning curve to it. There are a few others in the running as well, like the pax and a couple of new ones.

PaperClouds

The Iolite is my personal favorite, but that's because I don't like batteries, it runs off butane. And there really isn't a learning curve at all with it either. Just flip the switch to 1 and ignite. The short coming with it though is that you can't change the temp and you need to make sure you have a little more time then when you use the Solo or MFLB. I like the "set it and forget it" aspect of it as well no fiddling with heating it up again and again, it does that for you. There's no possibility of combusting or "under-vaping"(if that happens haha), it just knows when it's not at right temp and when it is, which I believe is 378F. While that doesn't seem too hot, I've gotten bigger hits out of the IO then I have out of an Extreme Q. And I don't know of any other vape self re-heating portable that you can fit into a fast food cup and be a ninja about it.

PaperClouds,

hoptimum

The Iolite is my personal favorite, but that's because I don't like batteries, it runs off butane. And there really isn't a learning curve at all with it either. Just flip the switch to 1 and ignite. The short coming with it though is that you can't change the temp and you need to make sure you have a little more time then when you use the Solo or MFLB. I like the "set it and forget it" aspect of it as well no fiddling with heating it up again and again, it does that for you. There's no possibility of combusting or "under-vaping"(if that happens haha), it just knows when it's not at right temp and when it is, which I believe is 378F. While that doesn't seem too hot, I've gotten bigger hits out of the IO then I have out of an Extreme Q. And I don't know of any other vape self re-heating portable that you can fit into a fast food cup and be a ninja about it.

I like the iolite too, and I would include it in the stealthy portable category. Theres a couple of caveats, the most important being that you must use high quality butane. The other is, once its on your herb will cook whether youre hitting it or not, unlike the mflb.

hoptimum,

PaperClouds

= "The other is, once its on your herb will cook whether youre hitting it or not, unlike the mflb."

This is what I mean't about needing a little more time, you can't really stop hitting it. It never really though about it like that for some reason though. I think just because every time I use it I don't let it heat up more then once without hitting it. Unless of course it's getting towards the end, that's generally how I can tell it's beat. If you let it heat up twice and you still get very little it's pretty much done. It should be a pretty dark mocha roast, at least mine is. Also you need to have at least 1/3 of a bowl packed or clouds won't form it works best when completely full.

PaperClouds,

hoptimum

This is what I mean't about needing a little more time, you can't really stop hitting it. It never really though about it like that for some reason though. I think just because every time I use it I don't let it heat up more then once without hitting it. Unless of course it's getting towards the end, that's generally how I can tell it's beat. If you let it heat up twice and you still get very little it's pretty much done. It should be a pretty dark mocha roast, at least mine is. Also you need to have at least 1/3 of a bowl packed or clouds won't form it works best when completely full.

Agree. i have also found that it helps if you let the bowl heat up a couple of minutes before hitting it. Otherwise you dont get much right away.

hoptimum,

PaperClouds

I also found a new V2 IO for 100$. I've never paid more then 110$ for any of the ones I've had, and I've had 3. And by v2 I don't mean Wispr, they have a new version of the original that has the same igniting system as the Wispr and you can tell the difference. Mine has lit the first time every time 100's of times and and hasn't only a handful, which used to be a problem with the V1's.

PaperClouds,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can

I would say it depends on your tolerance. The MFLB and Iolite were both on the weaker side for me. If you're lightweight you might consider them until they don't work well enough for you. The MFLB is more difficult to use. The Ascent sounds like a really great vape so far, just hope it gets good marks in the reviewing period.

As for King of Portables, there are three that come to mind.

The Solo is a solid product. Reliable, efficient, portable. It's not very stealthy and can be cumbersome if you need to stash it on your person.

The Thermovape Cera is looking like a real beast. Aesthetically pleasing and innocent, very stealthy, chambers for herb and concentrate. It's conduction ceramic, which is different from the Solo's glass on glass set up. Battery life seems alright, and overall use is pretty friendly. The biggest drawback for me was price. Starting at $250 it only comes with the body, chamber of choice, and mouthpiece. You have to buy the batteries, charger, and other chambers (if wanted) seperately. Each chamber is another hundred. Then there's just the fact it's not been out as long as others, so you get less opinions and test of it. So far, it's well received.

Last but definitely not least is the Persei. It has great battery life depending on your volt/cart combination. It's variable voltage system in conjunction with the Super Stealth Kit means that you can build a mini set-up running at 3.7v. With regular ohm carts you can do oils and waxes, with the Hercules Chamber you can do herb, or herb and oil for the 7.4v herc. Bunch of peripherals and W9 is always adding more. That's what I like best about this vape, the company takes feedback sincerely and makes the product for the patient. They have excellent customer service and have been in the game a while now with a good name to show for it. There are trade-offs here of course: the filling mechanism for the regular Omicron carts can be difficult for new users. The learning curve includes many minute details that some may find exhausting. But it gives you some great clouds and lasts long if you use it right.

Hope that helps some.

Atomsk,
Reactions: vorrange

PAZ

What are you looking for with the vape exactly, what features matter most to you?

Stealth?
Taste?
Efficiently?
User friendly?
Load size?
etc.

There really isn't a king of portables at the moment. Theres about 5-6 very good vapes, but none of them are them are head and shoulders better than the other.

Sidenote - Volcano isn't the king of desktop vapes. Right now it's the Cloud.

PAZ,

vorrange

Vapor.wise

Here the king of portables is the Arizer Solo, although the king of desktops is not the Volcano. If you want something for now, and then decide what's best, go Solo.

vorrange,

Pcpvapors

I agree that the current king of portables is the solo, there are vaporizers on the market that are giving it a run for its money but their long term reliability is unknown. Please take no offense when I say I can't help but laugh my ass off when reading the volcano is "king", stick around a while and do some reading you'll see why I laugh.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Pepper, as you can tell we all seem to have vapes that are our favorite or defalt tools . I do like the
Iolite's classic or WISPR both of mine are great, But if waiting to plunk down $ 250 or more for the
Assent in a month or so I might just go low tech and pick up A vapor Lithe for $ 45 or genie for a few bucks more as they have never let me down. There are some great vapes out now. Good Luck .

I'm waiting on the asscent too Looks amazing.

RUDE BOY,

max

Out to lunch
No, and the Volcano is only the king of the desktops to those who just scrape the surface of the vaporizer world.

Pcpvapors said:
I agree that the current king of portables is the solo
Really? Wouldn't that depend on how you want to use the portable? As a pocket vape the Solo would be way down the list.

No, and the Volcano is only the king of the desktops to those who just scrape the surface of the vaporizer world.

Really? Wouldn't that depend on how you want to use the portable? As a pocket vape the Solo would be way down the list.

This completely. The solo is king if your looking to use it mostly at home but also sometimes on the road. However, because of its size it would be far down the list on portability. If you plan to be walking around and bringing it places the solo is not a good choice. There is no king of portables, because each and every one of them exceeds at certain circumstances. There a few good ones, like pax, cera, inhalater, solo, etc. None is king though, each has their own uses.

TheCookieKing,

cellardoor

The Ascent looks very promising if you can wait (one month for release, a few more for reviews unless you're brave). The Solo (my friends call it the trippy can) is a beast for car or home use but isn't the best to walk around with. The Cera and Inhalator are popular here but I've never used either so someone else would have to explain the major differences for you.

cellardoor,

Curiousone

I too think the Solo is a great first vape that works well as a portable. It is great for at home use, at a friend's house and in the car. I think the Inhalater XP looks awesome and there are some great reviews showing its effectiveness.

If stealth is an issue and money isn't--go with the XP (you will have to be patient for it to ship). If you just want to get into the game with a solid vape that can be portable...nothing better than the SOLO for $160, imo.

I love my Solo. I expected to want an Inhalater XP or Pax soon after, but I am satisfied for now. I can sit back and see what the future has in store before buying another vape...I do think the future looks bright for portables!

NotPotRelated

MFLB Pro
If your new to vaping you probably want a hard hitter to start with. The mflb isnt a hard hitter but its a great vape with a learning curve, so i wouldnt recommend that first. I would go with SOLO

NotPotRelated,

smoking2long

I only know that I've only used the Iolite, and they have a great warranty. My first one V1 broke after just under two years. Now the replacement broke after about another year. Didn't think they would replace the replacement after a year, warranty said they would within 90 days. Anyway in the Iolite section, someone told how to replace the piezo igniter with a grill starter. Good agian, hopefully another year out of this unit. I sort of feel guilty, before I fixed it I ordered a Hammer (another butane). I just like not having batteries charging. I really need stealth in my house, I can't have some device charging or really even batteries without being questioned. So a can of gas hidden in the golf bag. Also I think my backup won't be near as stealth. The Iolite I think is the most stealth.

smoking2long,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

smoking2long

This completely. The solo is king if your looking to use it mostly at home but also sometimes on the road. However, because of its size it would be far down the list on portability. If you plan to be walking around and bringing it places the solo is not a good choice. There is no king of portables, because each and every one of them exceeds at certain circumstances. There a few good ones, like pax, cera, inhalater, solo, etc. None is king though, each has their own uses.

the iolite has to be the King

smoking2long,

wild1willie

really should look at the mflb.
the 'lunch box' was first mentioned to me about 4 years ago so i went to the local head shop and said give me a lunchbox vape. that started a quest that has gone in giant spirials
the lunch box was the Vapormatic Deluxe. fortunately the fan fell out of it the first week so i was able to get store credit for dirt and firts . then came the BC Vape very much like the 60s 12v cig lighter and the fish bowl just gone thank you! im tired of screw'n around so the Volcano came home to stay and is a very sweet piece. home is a motor home so its kinda portable but not for the grouse grind or any other out door activity. joints are so out these days. so an iolite is kinda stealthy so i stop my mountain bike on a path 30 kilometers from vancouver and some guy zips past and and says nice iolite and is gone down the hill. Busted? magic flight LAUNCH box! WOW great lemon shark and lemon shunk oh so tasty and just a dab will do ya' you can take hits all day long with 2 batteries. grind it fine. hell, throw in some kief! zoom a little about 1450.00 Canadian $$ does not include glass and stone pipes and bongs and other stuff

wild1willie,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom