Glass VaporGenie vs VaporStar comparison review

Keyser Soze

Kevin
Retailer
F.Y.I Sheldon Black has a 16" 5mm...that works LOVELY with the VaporStar. Plus it has a super classy design.

Will try and post pics later....:cool:

Keyser Soze,

FEAR420

For some odd reason it looks green,but I can assure you,there is NO GREEN in there...all brown. Most likely the lighting I use over my bed...

FEAR420,

Bananiq

good news, I've invitied Dan the owner of VaporGenie.com to participate in this forum, so we can expect another superb vaporizer producer discussing @ FC

Bananiq,

Bananiq

I lost my VaporStar's metal cap few days ago :( but don't worry, because finally my new Glass VG has arrived ... not just one, but two! One as a gift for a friend. :) must go for them to the post office and then I will be happy again. I will take care of the baby I promise.
Additionally, I lower the durability rating of VS because the metal cap really can easily burn the wooden bowl especially when jet-lighter is used.

Bananiq,

Bananiq

Hello again :)
So, after I satisfied all my needs and desires with my beloved GlassVG, I am little disappointed of the build quality.

What I noticed, I think they changed the top filter piece. The ceramic filter hole (not the GonG connection) seems to me narrower than the one on earlier GVG revision, but thats ok. What is worse, my one glass VG DOESN'T retain the screen (the screen fall off the pipe when inverted!), the other one retains the screen perfectly, in fact the screen must be pushed a little to fit there and the joint hole is not quite in the middle of the bowl. Moreover the both pipes have pretty different airflow. One blows quite easier than another because has bigger joint and mouthpiece hole. I, of course, understand that blower is doing great job and he isnt a robot, but it costs $99 and one of the feature - "screen doesnt fall out" isnt accomplished here. Shame that I live on the other continent. You can see different size of the pipes on this picture.

OTOH, they are really beautiful units providing amazing clean hits:)

Bananiq,
so outside of these issues, do they both perform as well as your first glass VG?
Also, how are those corduroy pouches? Decent quality?

wunderkind,

Bananiq

Yes, they perform very well.. very big and tasty hits, in fact the one with better airflow hits like a monster :p Corduroy pouches are very good quality, nice looking and provide some luxury feeling to your glass VG. however I prefer the natural hemp one because of the smell :p

Bananiq,

Bananiq

Hello there,

bad update: I broke my second Glass VG :( ....sad accident... jeez, I have bad luck with this pipe... But it's not dead yet. Luckily, the pipe can be held by rubber bands, and works well with good seal....also better access to the residue on the other hand :p

what is worse, recently my top piece has broken as well, which made the GVG useless (altough I managed to vape only with ceramic sponge isolated with another screen, but didnt work well because the filter alone is too small for that wide bowl) ...

other news: The ceramic filter is not as durable in a long-term as I though ...
since my top piece broke, I could play with the filter a little, and to my surprise, when gently scraped with tweezer, the filter leaves the black dust....this might lead to others' statements on VaporGenie thread about 'shrinking VG filter' which I also experienced. I am quite dissapointed due to this.
However, I contacted the vaporgenie chief and it seems they will not send me the Top piece of Glass VG even after I bought 3 Glass VGs and made a wholesale inquiry. I am quite pissed. But afterall its my fault. I consider to use GVG with some all glass filters like Clear Dome's flame filter of HDVape heat diffusor.

Bananiq,

stinkmeaner

Bananiq---You know what I would do is have a glass blower make one for you with some thick 5+ mm glass that way you don't break it again. Technically this thing is really just a Gong Sherlock or one of those arms that you attach to a ashcatcher to make a bubbler.

So all the blower really needs to do for you is make an arm with some notches for a screen or even a glass screen like the Luke Wilson bowls. You could even have the only worked VG type vape.

Then they would just take a male joint and make a spot for your ceramic filter. The only thing you would need to do is measure the approximate distance from filter to the bottom of bowl so that it vapes the same, and give proper dimensions of the filter or even give the filter to them to make it exact.

stinkmeaner,

Bananiq

Thank you stinkmeaner for these suggestions, I would be really happy if somebody could make new top piece and the pipe for me, but I really don't know any glass blower around :( I live in an area hostile to everything related to mj so the nearest glasswork is far as mj decriminalization.... good idea though, and I really like those Luke Wilson bowls :) ... however I dont prefer the VG ceramic filter anymore, I would be happier with some all-glass heat diffusors like CD's filter or HD vape.

Bananiq,

stinkmeaner

Both of the ones you have mentioned use a system where you inhale butane by keeping the flame in the airway. The CD filter was never even on the market in the first place, just a few beta units. The HD vape seems overrated, a have seen posts where people are not satisfied so if the VG filter works, then why change it.

Real all glass would be something like "The Glass Vape" or "Vapocane" , these you don't have to keep the lighter on while inhaling.

Vapocane
http://www.vapocane.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mYoAfslZEI

The Glass Vape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmdqqpCqM0k

stinkmeaner,

Wolface

For $35 the Vaporstar should last forever, and dropping it does nothing. It seems to work better than a buddies VG and is far more versatile IMHO.

Wolface,

Bananiq

2stinkmeaner: thank you for those links, the most appealing to me is Vapocane, but I don't like how big the hot part is,... if I can burn myself just with vaporstar :D I would seriously hurt myself with that thing...also
the inhaled butane isn't an issue with a torch lighter + quality butane.

2rin101: thanks for the link, this will be the last option, but I would like to try something else, moreover after I lose belief in VG filter's quality. I have reasons to assume that VG filter deteriorates with time. I think I will give HD vape heat diffuser a try, just finding if it has 18mm GonG, the owner doesnt respond.

2wolface: Actually my vaporstar was seriously burned inside/outside after a year of usage and I don't have it anymore. Yea it cannot be broken by dropping, big advantage for me :D But I admit vaporstar cooks the bowl more evenly than glass VG. (smaller bowl, better heat flow)

Bananiq,

djonkoman

to add about the stealth of the VG... I have the handcarved model(walnut), and I can say mine is pretty stealthy, especially since almost all stoners here(in the netherlands) smoke joints, so most people don't relate a pipe to weed, especially if it's such a nice classic looking pipe from wood
and since vaporizing also doesn't expell much odour, and the odour there is is much different from the smell most people know(the smell of burned weed mixed with tobacco), it's realy stealthy
for example this summer I used my VG on a terrace of a coffeeshop(not a dutch coffeeshop that sells weed, but one that actually sells coffee, not called coffeeshop in dutch ofcourse because that would create confusion), and after I had taken a few hits an old lady at the table next to us says to me how it's so nice to see someone smoking pipe:D (wich is more something for old men here, I guess that's the same in the US)

djonkoman,
Reactions: Bananiq
Top Bottom