Glass Balls: Choosing & Sourcing

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I have been on a quest to get some glass balls to add to a few of my stems for extra cooling & in one instance to add a little air resistance (TM).

When searching for Boro Balls (borosilicate) I find you can only buy them in large quantities from science lab sources. And I for one, do not need 3 pounds of 6mm glass balls!

2 Questions:

So, here are some other terms I see out there that I can buy in much smaller amounts. Can anyone out there tell me which (if any) are safe to use and which terms are red flags?
Quartz
Boiling Stones
Lime Soda

Where are you all getting them from? Is there any good sources out there that sell less than 100 balls for a reasonable price?

sickmanfraud

Has anyone tried putting glass or ruby balls into the bottom of the Tinymight cooling stem?

I would like more resistance (and Cooling) but I am concerned that I could break the stem itself.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Jill NYC

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Has anyone tried putting glass or ruby balls into the bottom of the Tinymight cooling stem?

I would like more resistance (and Cooling) but I am concerned that I could break the stem itself.
I’ve heard some replace the metal bits with ruby in their cooling units, not just loose in the stem but with a couple of screens you could definitely experiment. The balls just need a bit of room to expand, if they’re packed too tightly you run the risk of too much thermal expansion/breakage.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder

Testing it out right now with 6mm ”boiling stones” I got on Amazon.
seems to add a little resistance and cooling. Time will tell, but I think it is a great cheaper alternative to buying a new stem.

I think I need to remove a few based on comments here.
C0811-AD9-FEDB-468-A-A925-F128-B73063-AB.jpg

4615-E831-6-B69-4-B6-D-A17-A-AA43-ABEA19-AC.jpg

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
But they don't say how many balls the package contains.
Yeah, @RustyOldNail is right - just one. But if you buy in bulk (2+) you get a discount!

I am personally looking for the $15 range to include 50+! (Many have a lot more than that, which is why I was looking for any red flag terms I should avoid)

Jill NYC,
Reactions: Summer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah, @RustyOldNail is right - just one. But if you buy in bulk (2+) you get a discount!

I am personally looking for the $15 range to include 50+! (Many have a lot more than that, which is why I was looking for any red flag terms I should avoid)

I don't think you can pay that low for that many, boro is cheaper than quartz, but I've never seen that few offered at a time...

Shit Snacks,

sickmanfraud

I have an additional caution to add to the idea of pulling glass (or other material) in the bottom of the long 3D cooling stem.

When emptying the basket screen carefully remove the AVB without dislodging the screen. If you tap the stem against the inside of an AVB container you risk hot glass balls flying around.

Also, here is a link to Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004035467066.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.74ea3c00e5slvb&mp=1

10 6 mm Ruby balls for $1.99.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Being used for cooling I don't think there is a worry of expansion. In a heater on the other hand they are subjected to much more energy.

My glass TM cu is packed tightly, it relies on the tightness to keep the balls in place. It's been like this for months and I haven't damaged anything yet

img_20210804_212719_copy_1093x639-jpg.11076

img_20210804_225613_copy_1379x1655-jpg.11081

Top Bottom