Gender and marijuana

steiner666

Serial vapist
Nah, I'm not starting a basic weed tutorial thread to teach new users the basics like "female weed=good, male weed=bad).

I've noticed that an overwhelmingly large percentage of the ppl that I know who consume cannabis in some shape or form are males. Now, I'm sure the first logical thought most of you have is "You probably just know more men than women", which is probably true, but not by such a sweeping majority. Even if I was familiar with as many women as men, i still wouldnt know many female "stoners" (i dont like this term personally, but i'll be using it for ease of use as opposed to saying "people who smoke/vape" or other lengthy all-inclusive references).

For instance, my male friends pretty much ALL smoke/vape (unless they HAVE to stop to get a job or pass a test), but NONE of their g/fs do. My g/f doesnt either. These women aren't just shying away from it because they're not experienced either. They've pretty much all smoked it numerous times in the past, they just quit for whatever reason.

And they never have a good reason for why they quit either. I personally don't like "non-stoners" hanging around during vaping or any other ganja related activities and transactions because part of my mind just keeps screaming "NARC!". So, naturally, someone passing it up spurs me to barrage them with questions as to why.

When i've asked some of them, they tell me about how they were into serious drugs, along with pot, and that they were out of control and had to quit, and when they quit coke/meth/whatever they quit smokin pot too. They usually say "they didnt like the person they were" or something like that. I ask them if they think it was the weed that created the problem and they almost always say "No" and then can't come up with any good reason when I ask why they felt they needed to quit that too then. I think these ppl are just the type that are... weak-willed for a lack of a better term. You know, how some stoners can ration things out and partake of it responsibly and still go on with the rest of their lives and yet some act like total fiends who will steal from friends/family or sell heirlooms and such to get their next bag and then do absolutely nothing but sit on the couch 24/7.

Some say (and this is the one that pisses me off to no end) "I just grew out of it.", as if weed is only for lesser, immature ppl. I think these ones are the ppl who just smoked because it was the cool thing to do at the time, not because they enjoyed it. Like they associate smoking pot with the delinquent, adolescent, dumb things that they did with their friends while skipping school back in 7th grade more than with the actual effect. They think, obviously, that you can't be a responsible, employed adult/parent and still enjoy weed.

Some people just say no because of something they wont talk about that happened in the past. As if they smoked weed before and ended up acting like they were drunk and on acid and are too embarrassed to tell about it or risk repeating it. I can really only speculate on these ones and why they won't.

My g/fs excuse/reason is that she has asthma. First of all, i know a lot of stoners who have asthma. Second, she smokes cigarettes, so wtf is the problem with hitting a joint or especially a vape? She's SO much funnier and entertaining when she's baked too. Instead of scowls and bitching and overall negativity, she's all giggles and jokes... I've seriously been considering making some green dragon just to slip it to her w/o her knowing, esp when she's really moody.

Anyways, i just can't figure out why females seem to be so much LESS likely to be be stoners. They're all adults in their 20's or 30's, so its not that they're just uncertain and inexperienced, and most of them smoke cigarettes and/or drink, so it's not like they're concerned about effects on their health. They're not nursing or caring for toddlers or living with parents or someone who wouldnt approve either.

Of course i'm not trying to be sexist or anything here. I know there are a number of female members here and on other weed-related forums, and that's great. I'm just trying to figure out why I dont really know many in real life. Does is have a stronger, more desirable effect on males for some scientific reason? If anything, I'd figure there would be more scientific/biological reasons for females to use it than males (to help with cramps/nausea).

Has anyone else observed this among their local friends/relations? Any insight?

steiner666,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Sorry dude, no speculative reasons here. My g/f burns through about an oz a month, my sister smokes (weed and tobacco); I only know about 4 females who def don't smoke, 3-4 who probably don't smoke, and the rest I know are prob/def smokers.

Eh, but then my g/f is also a hardcore video/console gamer too :)

Tom

tdavie,

sour

My girlfriend doesn't, and won't and I personally haven't had any female friends who do like weed. A couple of my male friends have a couple female friends each who smoke weed. Just about every headshop and dispensary i've been too has that one cool, totally hot, interesting "stoner" looking girl working there. All I think in my head is it must be nice to have a girlfriend like that, because all of my girlfriends have had sort of anti-420 mindsets. Misinformation is a bitch.

sour,

steiner666

Serial vapist
tdavie said:
Sorry dude, no speculative reasons here. My g/f burns through about an oz a month, my sister smokes (weed and tobacco); I only know about 4 females who def don't smoke, 3-4 who probably don't smoke, and the rest I know are prob/def smokers.

Tom
Oh man, you've got it good! I've only had 1 relationship w/ a gamer type of girl, and she didnt smoke, and 1 relationship with a stoner girl, and she didnt game. Now i'm w/ on that doesnt do either, wtf, lol, workin backwards. They need to open up an videogame/headshop hybrid store for me to camp out at and pick up ladies :cool::brow:

sour said:
My girlfriend doesn't, and won't and I personally haven't had any female friends who do like weed. A couple of my male friends have a couple female friends each who smoke weed. Just about every headshop and dispensary i've been too has that one cool, totally hot, interesting "stoner" looking girl working there. All I think in my head is it must be nice to have a girlfriend like that, because all of my girlfriends have had sort of anti-420 mindsets. Misinformation is a bitch.
lol tell me about it. my g/f nags me more about how often i vape than my own mom has ever.

All i can figure is that there is somewhere where men get together to call dibs on them stoner babes and we just didn't get the memo.

steiner666,

sour

steiner666 said:
All i can figure is that there is somewhere where men get together to call dibs on them stoner babes and we just didn't get the memo.
Hahaha that's kinda how it feels!

sour,

mnmlh

Most of the females I know who smoke have been older folks. I've spent time with mostly gen x and y'ers, and it's my observation that, unless you are in certain parts of the country (or "scene"), it's mostly a male activity. I figure that is due to the general deviancy that men are prone to, which also causes them to break the law in the first place. There is a stigma beyond that though. If you think about all the D.A.R.E. bullshit, it gives the impression that pot is only "done" by skateboarder dudes. To women, it might even be a worse type of scarlet letter than the label "slut" because of this ingrained perception.

mnmlh,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Not sure what I can add, but most of my friends of both genders do at least occasionally, and even if not actively pursuing- they will hit it if offered. I'm a girl that didn't start smoking until 21- 37 now. Only because of association, meaning, I wanted to - but had no connections. I do note one thing- many more girls than guys are happy to pop a pill, me included.. :/ Though I can't take opiates (puke-city.) I am and have always been a control freak, so even when I was dabbling with coke for a year or so, it was no problem to be a weekend only thing. So I do think it may be more luck of the draw so to speak.

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
sour said:
steiner666 said:
Hahaha that's kinda how it feels!
One of the first things my husband asked me when we were still at the flirting/hanging out stage- do you toke? :D

indigal,

luchiano

The reason is because women are more prone to go along with what society says then men. Herb is seen as a losers drug and they don't want that image associated with them.

This image problem most women have is the reason why so many did cocaine in the 80's because cocaine was seen as a rich mans drug and if you said you did cocaine that meant you have money because it was at one point $100 a gram.

The same could be said about alcohol. There are tons of alcoholics in the suburbs but because they drink wine and not hard liquor or beer they aren't alcoholics, they have class and just want a little something to relax but this isn't true because wine has more alcohol than beer and they usually drink more than one glass and it's done everyday but because they all do it along with "rich" people, they aren't "bad people" like beer drinkers, vodka drinkers or weed smokers.

People are really kids in the mind.

luchiano,

lwien

luchiano said:
The reason is because women are more prone to go along with what society says then men. Herb is seen as a losers drug and they don't want that image associated with them.

This image problem most women have is the reason why so many did cocaine in the 80's because cocaine was seen as a rich mans drug and if you said you did cocaine that meant you have money because it was at one point $100 a gram.

The same could be said about alcohol. There are tons of alcoholics in the suburbs but because they drink wine and not hard liquor or beer they aren't alcoholics, they have class and just want a little something to relax but this isn't true because wine has more alcohol than beer and they usually drink more than one glass and it's done everyday but because they all do it along with "rich" people, they aren't "bad people" like beer drinkers, vodka drinkers or weed smokers.

I think that's a bit of stereotyping, eh? Out here in Cali, there is absolutely no class distinction between those that smoke/vape weed and those that don't. It crosses ALL socio-economic boundries, from very wealthy lawyers, doctors and businessmen to broke college students. Same thing with coke back in the 70's. Only difference was that if you didn't have a lot of money, you did less. And vodka drinkers? If anything, they occupy the upper class echelon of the drinking crew. And believe me, there's a lot of down and out street wino's and guess what they drink? Wine.

I don't think broad brush stereotyping like that is really accurate, especially if you consider a broader demographic than what exists within your own neighborhood.

lwien,

indigal

Amongst the corn
lwien said:
luchiano said:

I think that's a bit of stereotyping, eh? Out here in Cali, there is absolutely no class distinction between those that smoke/vape weed and those that don't. It crosses ALL socio-economic boundries, from very wealthy lawyers, doctors and businessmen to broke college students. Same thing with coke back in the 70's. Only difference was that if you didn't have a lot of money, you did less. And vodka drinkers? If anything, they occupy the upper class echelon of the drinking crew. And believe me, there's a lot of down and out street wino's and guess what they drink? Wine.

I don't think broad brush stereotyping like that is really accurate, especially if you consider a broader demographic than what exists within your own neighborhood.
I have to agree with you lwien.. Unless we are talking about young tweens here, I don't know any adults of either gender that chose to or decline to indulge in something like weed because of society at large. That's a hugely over drawn generalization, on every point as seen though some cultural viewpoint that sees wine as good, beer, vodka and weed as bad and cocaine as just a status symbol? :peace:

indigal,

Raf007

Retailer
me too, most of the stoners I know are males.
Only a few females.
My Gf doesn't toke (that's more for myself hehe), she plays video games some times to times, especially surf's up and buzz on PS3 :D (yes, we are almost 30), and that's cool enough.
Shed doesn't care that I smoke, and at the beginning of the relationship that's the first thing I made sure of. No way to be with a non supportive girl.
Personnaly, I don't mind when non stoners are around.

Raf007,

PerseusStoned

This thread is sounding more and more like a sexist rant than anything... :-/

Based on this poll conducted by Gallup more women then men actually do support legalization.
picture.php

To those who don't necessarily have statistics training and are going to misread the data/those who want a summary: The percentage of women supporters is one less (44% to men's 45%, but there are more women then men in the world, ergo more women smoke, they're just a slightly smaller ratio of their gender). Please note this is only legalization support and not necessarily indicative of who is actively breaking the federal law/social stigma and using.

I mostly only know females who smoke; most of the guys I know swear weed will wreck everything and thats why they only drink. Then again I hang out with more of a Bukowski type then anything. I think your answer has more to do with the women and men you know and are hanging out with then men and women in general. Might be your area, might be the personality types you're with.

Later revision: Based on this survey, your results are pretty much explained. It says that roughly 4 out of every 5 marijuana users are male. Please note this is an older study and there has been many gender gap closings in drug use over the past few years.

PerseusStoned,

steiner666

Serial vapist
indigal said:
...I do note one thing- many more girls than guys are happy to pop a pill, me included.. :/
This i've definitely noticed also. From young to old as hell, a large majority of the women i know take pills.

I kinda agree with what luchiano said. I'm not trying to stereotype, but, based on my observations, it does seem like women are more concerned with their self image than men. They put more effort and time into appearances, from hair to shoes and everything in between. A lot of guys I know just throw on the first clean shirt they can sniff out and a hat and they're ready for any occasion. A lot of men I know aren't ashamed to expel excess gasses from one end or the other publicly, while most, if not all, women i'm familiar with would die of embarrassment.

I think this, combined with the stereotypically dumb and dirty hippy image that the government/corporate-sponsored ads and programs try to make people associate with pot smokers, may have a significant part in the choices of some (especially younger, more impressionable) women on whether or not to partake.

I'm not saying that the repulsiveness of this cliched stoner image is exclusive to women though - I drank for a majority of my teenage years and was content with that, and all the people i knew who admitted to smoking pot were dumb kids around my age whom i had no desire to be like. It wasnt until i got closer to adulthood and met up with some "old-heads" that I became interested in it and it's actual effects. It was sort of a "I'll have what he's having" moment.

steiner666,

lwien

steiner666 said:
I'm not saying that the repulsiveness of this cliched stoner image .........
Repulsiveness of the cliched alcoholic?
Repulsiveness of the cliched coke addict?
Repulsiveness of the cliched opiate addict?

Maybe it's different out here in Cali, but weed use is actually viewed as LESS repulsive than any of the above behaviors.

lwien,

steiner666

Serial vapist
lwien said:
steiner666 said:
I'm not saying that the repulsiveness of this cliched stoner image .........
Repulsiveness of the cliched alcoholic?
Repulsiveness of the cliched coke addict?
Repulsiveness of the cliched opiate addict?

Maybe it's different out here in Cali, but weed use is actually viewed as LESS repulsive than any of the above behaviors.
Oh i'm not disagreeing that that's how it SHOULD be viewed - smoking/vaping buds from a naturally occurring, non-addictive plant that you couldn't OD on if you wanted to should be encouraged, given the other options out there. You're area is obviously ahead of the curve. Send some of that change over my way, east.

I do think there were a lot of movies that sort of glamorized cocaine usage, and ppl w/o first-hand experience don't know how ugly the addiction can get. As luchiano said, in the movies it's almost always the rich guy, the tough guy, the lawyer/wallstreet/celebrity guy who does blow, and those are the type of guys some women want and some men want to be (i'm sure you've met plenty of young Scareface wannabe gangsta kids, i know i've met my fair share), so it's somewhat of a desirable image i think. The movie stoners are usually completely gone mentally, have little vocabulary outside of "Man" and "dude", no comprehension skills, and, at the most, are good for a laugh. Not a lot of ppl aspire for that image lol.

alcohol is legal, so people of all sorts openly consume it. I'm not sure how it is there, but drinking is largely synonymous with socializing here. if you're looking for something to do on a friday/saturday night, drinking is next to the only option. The bottlers make money off it, the government makes money off it, the bars make money off it... so while it is widely acknowledged that drinking can become habitual, a lot of the adverts focus on the "fun" and "social" elements around it. My parents were pretty strict, but i've always known that they have wine or a beer now and then, but if they had ever smoked weed that information i would have never been privy to - if for no other reason than because they wouldnt want to encourage breaking the law. So just the popularity of alcohol, mixed with the clean conscience that legality and the examples set by other provides, encourages the use of it over mj.

I'm sure this isn't a factor for EVERY person, man or woman, who chooses not to use mj, but it's just the one that has made the most sense so far.

steiner666,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i would only ever consider a hippie chick, myself. my first rule of relationships is to make sure we have compatible vices.

Hippie Dickie,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
With herb I notice alot of it depends heavily on peers and their views on the subject. I know just as many females who partake as I do males.... however females are more discreet about it. They don't advertise it the way my male friends, and me at times, do. However, of the females I know I would say the majority of them are older than I am... there seems to be an age difference between the two groups more so than gender.

DevoTheStrange,

edamame

vaporist
My fiancee decided to not smoke as her act of 'rebellion' (she comes from a family of stoners), but she's been using my vape for the past week because of a bad toothache :o

edamame,

PerseusStoned

edamame said:
My fiancee decided to not smoke as her act of 'rebellion' (she comes from a family of stoners), but she's been using my vape for the past week because of a bad toothache :o
This is a pretty entertaining sentiment :D Thanks for sharing, must be pretty hard to rebel in that family, really.

PerseusStoned,
tdavie said:

Tom
that's funnybecause I am also a girl who smokes and i am a heavy video gamer as well (also a runner/basketball player) could be the more tom-boy girls that get into it?

claires20,

bcleez

I think you just need to expand your horizons and meet new people. I have met people from all walks of life that smoke. Man, woman, dog, cat, rich, poor...

Most people don't advertise though, because what's the point?

bcleez,
Top Bottom