***Gamers*** What are you playing?

florduh

An excellent way to solve multiple problems in BG3 is using 'Shove' to push a boss or enemy from a high enough ledge it kills them. I've used it and laughed at it multiple times now. There are so many ways to approach things.

Yeah that's my #1 strategy at this point. Look for an opportunity to shove motherfuckers into a big hole. Gravity is OP. I hate when the shoe is on the other foot though, lol.

me using gravity on enemies: Haha fuck yeah!!! Yes!!

enemies using gravity on me: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.

delta hotel

Yeah that's my #1 strategy at this point. Look for an opportunity to shove motherfuckers into a big hole. Gravity is OP. I hate when the shoe is on the other foot though, lol.

me using gravity on enemies: Haha fuck yeah!!! Yes!!

enemies using gravity on me: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
I have to ask, what are you playing as? Rangers have been my D&D staple for 20+ years now so I started there and was having my usual brand of fun, but I started a game with someone else as a way of the open fist monk, and it's been way more fun for me. Monks are a second favorite class of mine, maybe it's just the variety after so long of being a ranger. Being able to cross the entire area, then run up to something and strike 3 times, knocking it down with just my fists feels SO GOOD. Also catching and throwing arrows back at targets never gets old.

delta hotel,
Reactions: LesPlenty

florduh

I have to ask, what are you playing as? Rangers have been my D&D staple for 20+ years now so I started there and was having my usual brand of fun, but I started a game with someone else as a way of the open fist monk, and it's been way more fun for me. Monks are a second favorite class of mine, maybe it's just the variety after so long of being a ranger. Being able to cross the entire area, then run up to something and strike 3 times, knocking it down with just my fists feels SO GOOD. Also catching and throwing arrows back at targets never gets old.

Wizard:shrug: not very creative but I like the way the spells look. Plus I've hit a good stride. Good AOE spells for crowd control. And I've got some kind of shockwave ability that can knock even chonky enemies off cliffs.
There are a ton of fun looking classes. This game begs for multiple playthroughs so I'm not too concerned about it. I've heard bards can convince bosses to kill themselves with charisma alone.

image.png

(this is a joke.... I usually only scum save when it's obvious I'm fucked during combat)

delta hotel

Wizard:shrug: not very creative but I like the way the spells look. Plus I've hit a good stride. Good AOE spells for crowd control. And I've got some kind of shockwave ability that can knock even chonky enemies off cliffs.
There are a ton of fun looking classes. This game begs for multiple playthroughs so I'm not too concerned about it. I've heard bards can convince bosses to kill themselves with charisma alone.

image.png

(this is a joke.... I usually only scum save when it's obvious I'm fucked during combat)
Wizards are awesome and CC is super powerful in this game. As long as you're having fun with the class. Everything is pretty viable in this game, especially on the balanced setting.

florduh

You're not nuts, gaming is having it's Barbenheimer moment.

And there's still a bunch of new releases still to come. Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed, Armored Core. That's just the A's.

I know the conventional wisdom is that Starfield will suck. But I'm a believer. In Todd We Trust. I've been waiting for a game like Starfield my whole life.

This was probably my most played game as a kid in the 90's:

220px-Wing_Commander_-_Privateer_Coverart.png

Edit: oh man...the nostalgia hit lookin at that box. I remember being like 7-8 years old at CompUSA, strolling down aisles with boxes of PC Games on CD-Rom. All of them had a nice proper manual in it. And the smell?! That delicious new electronics cancer-smell!

I do like being able to download games from home without getting off my ass. But we definitely lost something in exchange for convenience.

Last edited:
I love me some phone/iPad games: Archero & Clash Royale
As a habit it comes and goes, these days I'll play for a while then take long breaks, but I still enjoy them a lot.

AmbivalentGreen,

delta hotel

I completely fell off with TOTK. Got about 60 hours in and then lost interest. Maybe will pick it back up at some point.

The next games I’m looking forward to arrive in October. Spider-Man 2 for PS5 and Super Mario Wonder for the Switch. I think they drop on the same day!
I got it the week it came out, put the cartridge in my Switch, and haven't turned the console on since. It'll be there waiting when there's a lull.

EarthworldTim

I know the conventional wisdom is that Starfield will suck. But I'm a believer. In Todd We Trust. I've been waiting for a game like Starfield my whole life.
Most of what's being said specifically is critical of the buggy rushed release trend from developers like EA, cd projekt red, etc. All of the more recent elder scrolls games survived that as well as cyberpunk(this one was the worst of the recent offenders imo) so I'm not too worried about Starfield. I think the worst thing it could do is overpromise and under deliver and I don't think Bethesda really has that reputation. I feel like no man's sky really over promised and has only delivered in the last couple years because they stuck with it. I also feel like I've waited for a game like Starfield my whole life and to date I felt like Mass Effect and ME2 were the only games that kind of came close previously.

I haven't played much BG3 yet but I love it and I'm so glad I held off on buying Diablo, made the choice to buy BG3 easy. I watched my friend play through most of pillars of eternity and I liked it but not enough to play my own campaign. BG3 feels like a way more approachable RPG.

Nostalgia related, I remember spending quite a bit of time with these games back in the day. I also played any and all Lucasarts games I could get my hands on, namely Tie Fighter.

florduh

Most of what's being said specifically is critical of the buggy rushed release trend from developers like EA, cd projekt red, etc. All of the more recent elder scrolls games survived that as well as cyberpunk(this one was the worst of the recent offenders imo) so I'm not too worried about Starfield. I think the worst thing it could do is overpromise and under deliver and I don't think Bethesda really has that reputation. I feel like no man's sky really over promised and has only delivered in the last couple years because they stuck with it. I also feel like I've waited for a game like Starfield my whole life and to date I felt like Mass Effect and ME2 were the only games that kind of came close previously.

I haven't played much BG3 yet but I love it and I'm so glad I held off on buying Diablo, made the choice to buy BG3 easy. I watched my friend play through most of pillars of eternity and I liked it but not enough to play my own campaign. BG3 feels like a way more approachable RPG.

Nostalgia related, I remember spending quite a bit of time with these games back in the day. I also played any and all Lucasarts games I could get my hands on, namely Tie Fighter.

Oh shit, I remember playing Descent and Tie Fighter! Haven't thought about that in....decades.

I've played No Man's Sky here and there. It's enjoyable, but it's not a RPG. And the cartoony graphics aren't really my thing. But it's still cool.

For me personally, it will be hard to fuck up Starfield enough that I'll be disappointed. "Oh, it's just a NMS version of Skyrim with Fallout 4 combat..." Cool. I'd play the fuck out of that! They've also had almost a full extra year to iron out the wrinkles.

It's gonna be hard to compete with Baldur's Gate from a RPG perspective. All the characters and voice acting in that game are so engaging. But I am more of a Sci-Fi head than a Fantasy guy. So we'll see.

Is every character in BG3 insanely horny, or am I just playing as too much of a nice guy? This frog lady started sayin' shit that would get you slapped with a sexual harassment lawsuit on Earth, like an hour into the game:

Baldurs Gate Bg3 GIF by Larian Studios

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

EarthworldTim

Did you guys know there's split screen couch co-op on Baldur's Gate 3?! You have to use two controllers but you can use a keyboard for text and number fields like splitting gold when trading for example. It's definitely more tedious than kb and mouse but really well done. This game is blowing my mind not long after Tears just did the same. Insane gaming year!

More nostalgia, that balloon fight game reminds me of the one and only Nintendo Game & Watch I had as a kid, loved that thing so much.

florduh

Did you guys know there's split screen couch co-op on Baldur's Gate 3?! You have to use two controllers but you can use a keyboard for text and number fields like splitting gold when trading for example. It's definitely more tedious than kb and mouse but really well done. This game is blowing my mind not long after Tears just did the same. Insane gaming year!

More nostalgia, that balloon fight game reminds me of the one and only Nintendo Game & Watch I had as a kid, loved that thing so much.

If you hook up an extra monitor, your co-op buddy can have their own screen too! I also prefer m&k, but the controller support is surprisingly good. It also frees up more screen space. You can also pretty seamlessly switch between mouse and controller in single player.

florduh

Bloomberg, of all places, suggests that Baldur's Gate is a banger because Larian isn't a publicly traded company.

Over the past 40 years, big corporations have basically turned into those bodegas that are just a front for selling drugs. You know... shelves full of expired, dust covered food. Because the groceries are just a front for the real money maker.

That's how every publicly traded company works these days. It's why products and services have gotten progressively shittier. They're just a front. The real money makers are various financial scams. Stock scams. Buybacks, etc.

Larian Studios went in a different direction. Instead of making money by manipulating their share price, Larian makes their money by creating an amazing product and selling it to gamers. Kind of sad that this is a newsworthy way to do business.

florduh,
Reactions: Ramahs

florduh

Starfield is maybe the only Xbox exclusive I really wish was coming to PS5.

I think the exclusivity is kind of a bummer. But if Todd delivers it will move some Xboxes for Microsoft.

If you have a decent internet service you can always stream it from Gamepass. It's locked to 30 fps on Xbox anyway so it might be a comparable experience.

Texus

I think the exclusivity is kind of a bummer. But if Todd delivers it will move some Xboxes for Microsoft.

If you have a decent internet service you can always stream it from Gamepass. It's locked to 30 fps on Xbox anyway so it might be a comparable experience.
Yeah, let's see how reviews look. I mean, with BG3 coming to PS5 in a couple weeks that will keep me busy.

And yeah, what a incredible year for games. Maybe 4 or 5 games that would be Game of the Year in any other year.

Top Bottom