Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Good luck on that other thing for sure Mr.C.

I have a question if you could oblige... and on a lighter side... what wire gauge are you using for your coils?

TommyDee,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Good luck on that other thing for sure Mr.C.

I have a question if you could oblige... and on a lighter side... what wire gauge are you using for your coils?

Thanks.

WRT wire gauge, I settled on 16AWG MR200 wire. Different wire gauges behaved a bit differently, as one might expect, but the differences were subtle and were less significant than the relationship between coil height and vapcap tip. Speaking generally, coils made from smaller gauge at diameter x took longer to complete a given heating cycle than coils of the same inside diameter made made from larger gauge wire, or in other words, larger gauge wire performs the task of induction heating more efficiently than thinner gauge wire, and in general (and speaking specifically to my analog relay design), a less efficient IH produces better flavor and vapor production, up to a point.

I found the 16 AWG MR200 wire to be the best overall choice for the size coils I wind. I have been using this size since I began, so after much investigation I basically confirmed that it was a good choice.

Hope that helps.

mr_cfromcali,

flammy

Hi all, I recently posted about my experiences regarding adjusting the coil in my 15mm and more specifically lowering it.

I have since done the same with my 16mm thick walled insert unit and it's even better than before. MrC explained the concept to me and I'm sure he did the same in this thread prior but the coil position is analogous to where on the cap you would heat with a torch. If you heat towards the top, you want to lower the coil. If you heat towards the bottom, you might want to consider raising the coil. I am a flavor chasing whore so lowering the cap made the most sense.

What surprised me is that this adjustment also benefited my 16mm TW unit. I really enjoyed the performance prior but the adjustment has really evened out the avb and I am now able to go more cycles. For reference, on both of my 15mm CF and 16mm TW, I now only have one spacer and have lowered the coil as far down as I can so that the coil touches that spacer. The coil height makes such a big difference and the adjustment itself is extremely easy. I believe a video was posted on here by MrC illustrating those steps which I found to be very instructive and useful.

I have also since shut off the LED light on the front of the unit so that it doesn't glow green simply by turning it on. I find that I only need an indicator for when the heater is engaged and it will still glow red when engaged despite this shut off.

Last edited:

Webro

Looking forward to hopefully being in the next batch of heaters. Has anyone had there case etched yet? Have been talking to the guy at Vacavapes about it. Will be really cool if that works out.

Webro,

martinstraka8282

does any one know a rough waiting time if i put my name down today?
cheers
I signed up on July 21st last year.

I'm hopeful I will have mine in the next couple months, but hard to say.

Either way it should give you some indication on wait time. I'm at about 7 months now and last batch he did was for April 19, 2019 sign ups, so like still a good batch or two away.

martinstraka8282,

MAbud

A brief Fluxer Update:

Hi all,

I want to let you know that I have made progress completing my long-standing "open items" on my Fluxer to-do list, and am down to what I think is my final task. This piece isn't customer-facing but is nonetheless important. I am working on this last item presently, and am hopeful I will be able to resolve it within 1-2 weeks. Sorry to be vague, but I'll post more info soon, when I can share it. :)

For now, the thing I want to convey is that I see light at the end of my present tunnel, and I'm very hopeful I can get back to making heaters again real soon. The sooner, the better, too - I have waaaaay too many heater parts on hand to stop now! :lol:

More news as I learn it.

Cheers,
:leaf:
that would be awesome!!

I am ready to see something beyond the April 19, 2019 batch :lol:

MAbud,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
that would be awesome!!

I am ready to see something beyond the April 19, 2019 batch :lol:

You and me both. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, we're back in a holding pattern at the moment, and while I'm still hopeful I'll be able to move forward on my remaining obstacle this week, I learned late Friday that it may take a bit longer. I was expecting to use a particular company for a business-related service, and had submitted paperwork to make that happen. On Friday, a day after submitting my completed paperwork to them, they informed me that have recently decided to stop servicing cannabis-related businesses. :bang: I need to line up another vendor for this service, and it's taking time. This search is being handled by a professional, but even with a pro at the helm of the process there is some waiting for quotes to come in. I can't get more specific than that at the moment, but that's the cause of the current delay. It has nothing to do with the physical properties of making these things, and everything to do with making sure I have the right things in place before I crank out a few hundred more of these over the coming months.

I have said this before and continue to say it at every opportunity: Thank you all for your patience with me and your willingness to wait for one of my heaters. I am doing what I can to resolve this current situation ASAP so I can get back to making heaters!! :nod:

I think it will be worth it. I'll certainly be ready to crank out as many of these as I can once this last bit in is place. :rockon:

Stay tuned, as I'm sure this saga has some more twists and turns ahead...:popcorn:

Cheers,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi all, and happy Valentine’s Day.

I got word late this afternoon of a new quote for the business service I mentioned in my last post, and it’s a good one. I have accepted the quote verbally, and if things go as expected I should have this thing in place as soon as Wednesday. This is very good news, and I felt it was worth sharing ahead of the weekend (which most of you are already enjoying).

I’ll post more details once things are signed and my money has been accepted, but for all of those waiting: this is good! If things continue as I expect, I’ll be able to send out more order confirmation emails Wednesday or Thursday. :tup:

Cheers,

Last edited:

alphakry

Yeah - thanks! It will be a huge relief for me to finally address this business service and take care of it.

just hurry up before Lucid and Dynavap get to it!! (no offense to either of them, they're both geniuses that changed my smoke game forever and for the better)

alphakry,

PKOK

:tup::tup:Yeah - thanks! It will be a huge relief for me to finally address this business service and take care of it.

Plus it means I can start selling heaters again, which is something er all want. :clap:

Question Mr C, on your web site I filled out the "waiting List Sign-up" but get no confirmation even after creating an account. It says "Sorry you don't have access" Do I need to fill out the waiting list again? I'm glad your back up, your work is incredible, I just have a NEED to know I'm on that list :mental::mental:

PKOK,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Question Mr C, on your web site I filled out the "waiting List Sign-up" but get no confirmation even after creating an account. It says "Sorry you don't have access" Do I need to fill out the waiting list again? I'm glad your back up, your work is incredible, I just have a NEED to know I'm on that list :mental::mental:

Hi, @PKOK . Thanks for your kind words.

OK - let me take another crack at explaining this. I'll discuss the waiting list first, then I'll address the matter of creating an account on the fluxerheaters.com web site. (And I am going to post the short answer to that last bit up top: please don't create an account on fluxerheaters.com until I invite you to confirm your order. More on this further below.)

The Flux Deluxe Waiting List

This is the Flux Deluxe Waiting List Sign-Up page (link)

waiting-list-form-numbered.png

It's a form, and it needs to be completed (#1) and submitted (#2). Complete the fields, then click the "ADD ME TO THE WAITING LIST" button (#2).

After you click the button and submit the form, you should see this confirmation message* in place of the form:

waiting-list-confirmation.png

* I added this confirmation message after my initial rollout of the waiting list form, so I know some people who added themselves to the list in the late spring or early summer may not have seen this message, so if that's you, don't panic. It has been in place since July or so, IIRC. And I need to update that 4-6 month estimate, as 6-12 months is currently more accurate.

Anyway, ideally, that's how you add would yourself to the Flux Deluxe Waiting List. After you submit the form, I receive it as an email in a standardized format. And as long as Google exists, I'll always have a copy of it.

Real life is messy, however, and not everyone uses the above form, for a variety of reasons. Some folks never see the form at all and just send an email asking to be added to the waiting list. To account for this and be as fair as possible, I actually use "the date of first email contact" when I am ready to send out a new batch of Order Confirmation emails for a given range of dates. BTW, these emails are the final step before I build you a heater, so getting one is the goal of the waiting list.

To accomplish this, I wrote some scripting in my waiting list database that parses and de-duplicates names from my gmail inbox, and compares them to names and email addresses in the waiting list, always keeping the earlier entry. In this way I sift through the emails and waiting list forms and shouldn't miss anyone, while also always using your earliest date of contact. This system works well and once I can get past the current business holdup I am eager put it to use making heaters!

So, that's an overview of the Waiting List process.

Fluxerheaters.com web site accounts

Fluxerheaters.com allows everyone the option of creating a customer account on the fluxerheaters.com web site. While there is no harm in creating an account "now", I would prefer that you not create an account on the site until I invite you to do so.

I use the accounts on the fluxerheaters.com web site for my Order Confirmation process. They are not used for the waiting list. Again, there's no harm in creating an account ahead of time, but I'm not going to do anything with it until I invite you to confirm your order. Why even expose this feature now, you ask? The answer is that my site is built from a template, and that template has certain rules and limitations. The above arrangement isn't ideal, but it's what I could manage from the options available to me via my site building template, which is geared towards the more common retail model of having stock on hand and a need to attract customers. My business is currently more bespoke, so the e-commerce and customer management components of this template aren't perfect fits right now. I like other aspects of the website's backend and feature set, however, so I'm trying to make do with having the accounts feature exposed 100% of the time, when in reality I would prefer to offer it on an invitation-only basis. Eh, you pick your battles and do what you can...

So that's what's up with the waiting list and the fluxerheater.com customer accounts. Sorry for the wordiness, but hopefully that explanation is helpful. I know that there are many more people waiting for my heaters than the 200 or so I've made to date, so I understand that this subject is very important to many of the folks reading this thread. I am trying to be as fair as possible, and not penalize people who found me but didn't find my waiting list page.

FYI, I will be out of town most of this coming week, with intermittent internet access to boot, so I may not be able to reply to this thread or email until the evenings. I'll post an update on "things" as I get more info, and I'm hopeful I'll be back to making heaters (or at least sending out more Order Confirmation emails) by Friday or so.

Cheers,

Last edited:

PKOK

I apologize, us old geezers tend to miss things....but thank you for the explanation. I do have the
account (oops) and I filled out the Waiting List Signup again, this time I saw the Thank You Confirmation.
Anyway I feel better knowing and if I end up with two :clap: Anyway good luck with your backlog, I really
hope you love this hobby of yours because people seem to love the results :) .
I've enough parts to make half doz China heaters to get me thru the year but looking fwd to throwing
those in the trash.

AcidFlashbang

Does the included charger cut power when the batteries are full? Ive been anxious about leaving my heater charging overnight.

AcidFlashbang,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Yes, AFAIK. It monitors charging status and communicates that via a status LED that changes from red to green as it charges, so it knows when the batteries are charged (green LED) and does not overcharge them.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
My best guess with some reading is that the basic China BMS simply divides up the input voltage when charging. Li-ion is simple that way. Give the cell 4.2V and it stops charging when the voltage is reached. They do this by requiring 12.6V input and dividing that 3 ways for a 3S configuration. There is also a 'balanced' version that helps make sure each cell sees 4.2V but that one has parasitic drain.

Over-voltage and under-voltage kills Li-ion cells. And excessive charge rates. Otherwise they are perfectly happy little cells taking on a charge from whatever is available.

PKOK

[QUOTE="WRT wire gauge, I settled on 16AWG MR200 wire"[/QUOTE]

The only thing I could find on "WRT" was Waytek- Tinned copper, hook-up wire. Like
TommyDee I too have been wondering what a good wire was. Those China burners need
all the help....

PKOK,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Sorry for confusing you, @PKOK. By “WRT” I meant the abbreviation for the phrase “with regards to”. Sorry if that was too texty.

The coil wire I use is 16AWG MR200. It is 16 gauge, and it is enameled copper magnet wire, rated to 200 degrees C. It’s good stuff:

Amazon link: Essex Magnet Wire 16 AWG Enameled Copper Wire | Heavy Build Winding Wire for Transformers, Motors, Generators & Electronics - Genuine Essex HTAIH GP/MR-200 10 LB Spool

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081KTX3RG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lKDtEbPXBEHZ9

They also have it and similar wire by other suppliers in smaller spools.

Note: you must completely remove the enamel layer from the ends in order solder it - you can’t solder to the enamel. Protip: A Dremel tool with a rough grit sanding wheel works best for this. Wind the coil but leave the ends long, and strip back a good portion on each leg (~1cm if using a Chinese IH) so you have enough exposed to make a strong connection.

Last edited:

PKOK

Sorry for confusing you, @PKOK. By “WRT” I meant the abbreviation for the phrase “with regards to”. Sorry if that was too texty.

Damn now I feel like a Dunce. I need to sit down with my 27yr son and have him School me :hmm: No really, I appreciate your time sir, you all ways give everyone detailed and complete answers. Your schooling all of us
it's one of your strong points that potential customers see and appreciate as well.:tup:

Top Bottom