Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

mario

So I'm popping back in to report what a full week of having my FD was like.

In a word, fantastic.

It heats up all my vapcaps quickly and efficiently. The AVB is always a uniform roast and the hits are silky smooth. I use my Omni XL for awesome air hits with just a simple click and hit. It's so easy and perfect every time that with the omni dialed in airflow wise, the experience is simple and easy to replicate over and over again. I was doing some work from home and had the FD sitting next to me on my desk and I could simply tap click click click and I had a nice hit keeping me going while I was working.

It doesn't seem like much at first, but not being restricted to a plug is a gamechanger for the heaters I think. The fact that I can take it around the house or sit it on any desk next to my Dynastash and have everything I need for a session is out of this world. I loved my Lucid Customs IH, but it just doesn't compare to the FD. Also the 16mm coil in the Lucid quickly became annoying to me.

The 14mm coil I don't even have to think about. When it clicks, it's done and it's ready. With the 16mm coil in my desktop Lucid, I have to sit there and wait for a few seconds after the click to get a full hit, especially with my SS tips. The 14mm coil heats all of them right the first time without any fiddling. The 16mm coil takes more...art? I think the only reason this is a negative, is because it requires you to pay attention. The 14mm doesn't. You listen for the clicks and it is right all the time. That's it.

So I think the previous analogy of the sports care isn't quite right. The sports car requires more attention and careful handling to not make a mistake while driving. The 14mm coil seems to do things exactly right without you having to think about it. Now if you don't listen to it, yes it will fry the bowl in a heartbeat, but if you are listening for your clicks, it works right every time. The 16mm coil I feel like I never know what I'm going to get.

Also something I've noticed about tactile switches.

The FD has the depth of the switch perfectly lined up with where the majority of the bowl is. So when you depress the button, the cap is perfectly placed.

My Lucid is not like this. While there is a bottom for the vapcap to sit on. If you have ANYTHING wider than a normal stem, it doesn't go all the way down. So nonavongs or even a Glass Water Wand prevents the tip from going all the way to the bottom of the heating port. Which means that there is a section (the most bottom of the cap thinking upside down) that doesn't get heated right because it isn't lined up with the coil.

So in this, I think the FD is insanely more efficient and effective than some of the heaters out there. The depth of the port and the positioning of the coil are specifically important and were really nailed on the FD.

Anyone on the fence, don't hesitate. The wait is worth it, and the quality of the work is out of this world. It has made my vaping experience an absolute breeze and much more enjoyable.

mario

Nice review @mario!

I agree with your remarks on the 14mm coil being super easy to use. I was trying to say that a couple pages back but you did a much better job of explaining it. Thanks! :tup:

I read your post and really had to think about it when I was using it. When I first got it I was trying to use it like my lucid and I was NOT getting the results I wanted. So I fiddled with the pot some and still was having trouble getting an even cook. Then I realized that I was probably over thinking it and just let the heater do its thing and just relax with it. That was the first time I got a hit that made my eyes cross.

started@52

Yea, I’d like to hear from someone that has the 14mm and 15mm(if anyone has both). My 14 is perfect for my SS tip but heats the my Ti tip hotter then the base of the cap and abv is black on top but light on the bottom. Remember this is my personal experience with the 14mm(temp dialed down) and may not act like others). The PSM heats both Ss and Ti about the same(perfect) but battery life is about a third of how long the FD lasts. I’m thinking the 16mm might be too cool and don’t really like counting after the click as I forget after the first bowl, lol.

started@52

I think the Mother Fluxer should have a 14, 15, and 16mm all in one and use at least 6 21700 batteries all in a waterproof pelican case with lots of switches, buttons, dials and storage!

mario

I'm not sure how many 15mm's are out in the wild. @mr_cfromcali would have to confirm if any of those have made it off the bench yet.

But I imagine that it is in the middle of the two coils. Would give you a second or so of wiggle room, but wouldn't be as 'artistic' as it is with the 16mm. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not shitting on the 16mm coil at all. I think for people that take more time and are looking for a slower more dip and sip experience, the 16mm is exactly right. For me, I like the stronger hits and I use mine through glass A LOT so the power is more my style. That doesn't work for everyone. I mean hell I've seen people happy with heating their caps by candle light and when I have tried that it has been useless to me since it is so slow and light.

So just to be clear, I don't think that one is better than the other. I think they are for different things and they are different styles of vaping. It really does depend on what you are looking for.

For me, the 14mm is perfect because I like the consistency, but I understand if there are others that don't like that as much.

Slickwilly

My #2 FD has a 16mm and is plenty hot enough.:2c:

It is no slouch by any means. With a TI tip and screen in middle, herb at 62%, and fresh batteries. it is killer! :rockon:

I fast click alot. Inset in FD wait for clicks, take draw until 2 clicks, insert back in FD, exhale, wait for clicks and repeat total 3 times in a row. ABV is usually even and a dark brown. Towards end of battery life I can take 4 nice hits, since batteries are weaker. I don't do that all the time, but it sure makes you quick to get right.:smug:

I never hold passed the click in my FD, even with a SS tip. :shrug: I have tested all my caps and have picked a few that work better in either the FD or my @Pipes portside. My favorite cap has 2 nice sharp clicks that are about 2 seconds apart. Also have a few caps just to use with torches.

If you only have 1 cap to use and it clicks quick then you may have to hold after the click? May I also suggest you get another cap.:lol:

Everyones set up is slightly different with caps, tips, dryness of herb, fresh batteries, type of battery, ambient air temp, etc. Only real way to determine difference is if someone has all 3 coils in seperate FD and using same dynavap set up. Its tuff to compare when the coils are from different heaters.

Any of @mr_cfromcali coils in a FD will get you where you need to be! Dont be losing sleep over it .:tup:

mario

Yeah I wasn’t saying in any way that the 16mm was worse in any way, I think if I did that fast repeate process with the 14 I would end up toasting everything in the bowl, so if that is your method sounds like the 16mm is perfect.

I have 4 different caps and tips. 3 Ti tips/caps , and 1 Shadow tip/cap. Some of the caps are new-er and one of them is over a year old. They all behave the same way in my FD. This was not the case in my Lucid IH, so I don’t think there is anything wrong with the caps I’m using.

I was just trying to point out that there was a strong difference between the two coils sizes, but they didn’t have negatives or positives, they were just different. In my experience, the sports car analogy didn’t really hold up so I wanted to post about that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

testymctest

Ok here goes was going to wait to compare 14 and 15mms but will give you my experience so far.
Have been using my Omni for about a year so pretty comfortable with it, after 1st week never combusted usually clear in 3 to 4 hits (2/3rds bowl pretty dark abv).

Received my FD 14mm with topside. And my experience has been closer to @started@52 .
Ti tip would heat really fast 1st heat slight separation of clicks but unless I let it cool for a good while subsequent heat cycles would come really fast and only one muffled click, and heat would creep up the base of the omni. Bowl would be uneven and charred esp by the tip. I was combusting every night and getting afraid to heat so was pulling out at any sign of any click. Also the topside adjustment seemed to make no difference. So after a week of frustration (side note I'm very meticulous and this was not "user spacey error") I started experimenting with empty bowls just practicing and even ordered a new tip in case (turns out old one was better than new, zero seperation of clicks on new one). So after contacting MrC he said I may have just gotten an extremely efficient FD. Batteries were brand new too lg hg2 I believe. So the 15mm is getting shipped to me today.

Hearing how this is working so we'll with the SS tip maybe makes some sense ti tip just being more efficient. Also residual heat makes it worse with subsequent hits. And if it got too dry looking for the 4th heat cycle way more likely to char or burn.

MrC was terrific as usual sent on Thurs and it's already on it's way back.

Had these reviews been posted may have gotten ss tip and done more experimenting, but think will be happy to have a little softer heat up with the 15mm. Will let you all know soon.

Just wanted to get this out there so people can make the best choices for their needs, and MrC can have happy customers. This is by no means a complaint. The FD is simply a thing of beauty, and for me will be a real game changer as @mario has said.

Last edited:
received my fd on valentine's day. it is a 15mm coil.

i like to take the avb to the dark side. to get there i count two seconds past the second click. this is consistent with my use of a single flame aomai torch. with the torch i usually stop at the click for the first heat up and count two past on subsequent heat ups. with the fd i've been counting two past the click with every heat up.

i'm very happy with the fd. i don't mind counting--i always count from the start in case i forgot to wait for the cool down click. been burned too many times by that mistake. hasn't happened yet with the fd but i know it will.

from reading online (fc, r/dynavap and r/vaporents) it seems there is variation of click behavior between caps so i take all the counting, etc. with a grain of salt. it seems one of the charms of the vapcap is to learn it's unique personality.

in other words, my experience with the 15mm is probably not terribly useful but add it to your data as you weigh your choice.

i also have one of mr c's original desktop with pwm control. i got the fd for when i am away from a power source. i like the desktop a lot but have retired it in favor of the fd, even at home.

vapcap and flux deluxe, a marriage made in heaven.

Slickwilly

I think if I did that fast repeate process with the 14 I would end up toasting everything in the bowl
Give it a try :science:

I was just trying to point out that there was a strong difference between the two coils sizes, but they didn’t have negatives or positives, they were just different.
My point was I didn't want people to get the wrong idea about the performance of the 16mm coil in the FD, when comparing 2 different IH with completely different insides.

I sometimes wish my 16mm was even a little cooler. When I'm in no rush and really want to enjoy the taste, like the first hit over and over again. :love:

It's great we have choices for everyone's different needs. :tup:

Last edited:

mario

Give it a try :science:

I think I will when I get home, what's the worst that can happen? I am the one who gets too toasted? lol

I guess I didn't think to take into account that the internals are different and not just the size of the coil, looking at the internals of the two heaters, you are right there are some massive differences and I am sure that plays a part in how it performs. Now I just have to tell myself that I don't need a FD in 16mm as well as 14 hahaha.

I do think it is really awesome how we have all had more or less the same heater (with small diameter differences) and we have all had to find the unique personality of our heaters and our vapcaps and make it work in the way. It actually makes the vapcap even more special than it already was. We all have a bond with the vapcaps we use because we know them. The FD's appear to be the same. We are all getting to know our heaters and that is making the experience even better!

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the long delay in updating the thread, but I have been busy (work, life, Fluxer stuff - you name it). Back this afternoon with some updates.

Power relay and MOSFET issues: I'm still receiving reports of bad power relays MOSFET failures. You will know if you are affected by this, unfortunately, as your heater will stop working. If this happens, you will need to send your heater back to me for repair.

The 14mm coil heaters with top mount temp controls have experienced more failures than the other models.

So far I have identified a few factors that contribute to this type of failure: inconsistent chip quality in the MOSFETs used in the power replays; excess resistance in the temp control circuit (due to an error on my part); and a lower-than-ideal solder temp for the heater MOSFETs (I switched to a higher temperature solder, and it has some different heating requirements). There may be more causes, too, but those are the ones I've identified so far.

If you are affected by this issue, please send me an email and I will send you the instructions for sending it back. The turnaround time for the repair is quick.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the rough edges...

14mm coil vs 15mm coil:
Some 14mm coils run very hot. Some merely run hot. ;)

As was mentioned up-thread, the 14mm + Ti tip combo can be especially unforgiving if the heater over-performs just a little bit. The temp control doesn't always do much to reduce temps in this situation, as the very close coupling afforded by the tight work coil "wins" over the lower power you send to the heater - the material near the edges of the chamber may still char due to the longer heating time, even of the heat is a bit lower overall.

If you got a heater with a 14mm coil and find you hate it, I will be happy to change it. Send me an email, we'll work it out.

The 15mm coil is also a nice size. It seems to respond better to the temp control than the 14mm. (And a shout out to @affirmative_dave__ a friend IRL, for that great 15mm coil user report! :wave:) I think people will like the 15mm coil a lot once they try it.

One thing I have learned while working with these various coil sizes is the importance of winding a tight coil. I think my earliest 16mm coils weren't wound as tightly as they could have been, and this made some 16mm coils perform like 17mm coils. This can be fixed with a new coil, BTW.

Additional thermal fuse:
Starting immediately, I am adding a second thermal fuse to the circuit. It tucks in against the front side of the coil:

IMG-7286-private.jpg

This will protect against runaway heaters issues while on the mains power adapter. I need to do some more testing to be sure, but this may also make it possible to operate the heater from a mains power adapter with the batteries removed.

The new fuse will be 115°C, will be normally open, and should be transparent unless/until tripped. If tripped, it will short the positive and negative paths of the circuit, tripping the power fuse and immediately stopping the heater from operating. Once the heater cools down, the power can be cycled and the heater circuit will be restored to regular operation.

This is intended to serve as a secondary safety check and an absolute kill switch for excess heat/runaway heater situation.

I will also be adding this to units that come back to my bench for repair, or any Fluxer heater that wants one.

Lists, progress, waiting times:
The list is long, my progress is slow, and some folks feel like they have been waiting forever.

Thanks for your patience. I had more delays in February than expected, plus the shop was offline for a week, so...not a lot of progress to point to, especially when coupled with the power relay failures that require repair. Thanks to everyone who still wants a heater.

One ray of hope here is that some schedules have changed lately, and as a result I may be able to squeeze a bit more shop time into the week. Since I am the bottleneck, that has to help, lol. Thanks for your patience.

I will wrap this up for the moment, as I need to run some heaters over the the post office before it closes. Thanks for all the kind words and the feedback, which is especially welcome in light of these damn power relay issues some of us have been contending with. If you are a customer and were affected by this - thank you!

Cheers,
:leaf:

Last edited:

mario

No problem! Glad someone is enjoying my ramblings on about how much I love the darn thing.

I took it with me on my lunch break today and it was fantastic. Not having to worry about a torch or fuel or anything in my car while I enjoyed a nice session is beyond awesome. I keep the FD with me and my dynastash filled and ready to go and just about anywhere I am I can sneak in a quick hit or a quick session. It's an amazing device and I find more reasons to love it every day.

mario

I have found that with my usage. I can last about 2 days before needing to charge. I usually charge it a bit at night anyways.

I usually do 2 caps in the morning before work. 2 caps at lunch in my car, and then 8 or so over the course of the night.

That being said, after an entire day of that, no lights of the battery tester go out. On the second day of that it will drop a light, but that’s all. I use the included cable to charge it since taking all the batteries out and putting them on my charger is a pain in the ass. There hasn't been an issue from me by using that charger, the indicator lights change with usage and it goes back up to 100% when the light turns green on the charger. So I'm not worried about anything in that regard.

So I would say that with a 14mm coil, I'm getting better than expected results, or I use it less than most. (Though I don't know if that is true or not...)

Top Bottom