First Vape Decision: HerbalAire vs. SSV vs. DBV vs. Extreme Q

Which vape will have the best hits while maintaining the greatest herb efficiency

• DBV

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • SSV

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Extreme Q

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • HerbalAire

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Cudi

So I'm looking into making my first vape purchase and I have been browsing through these forums quite a bit. While there are similar questions to mine it seems like there is rarely a unanimous agreement on which is the best and it often depends on personal preferences which is why I thought I should make my own thread.

I was originally set on the Arizer Extreme Q because I want a hose for more personal/solo use and the bags for group use. However it seems like there isn't a lot of love lost around here for the Extreme Q which is why now I'm pretty much between the HerbalAire and SSV.

The thing I want most is the strength of hits to efficiency ratio. I want something that's going to get strong hits but I also want something that will conserve my herb for me, I also still care about durability and other qualities but efficiency and strength are my two biggest concerns.

I appreciate any feedback or thoughts, thanks a lot.

P.S I'm also going to throw this poll in here because it looks pretty handy for my question

max

Out to lunch
You can get big hits from any of those models but 'out of the box' the SSV will deliver the highest vapor/air ratio. It'll take some bowl stirring and wand rotation though, becuase of the narrow air stream hitting the bowl. The DBV is close, and will require less fiddling and deliver more predictable hits. Since the other two are dual mode models, the direct draw mode is a little more compromised. If you're not going to use bags I'd pass.

Efficiency is up to the user, since you can load very small amounts in any vape. Small hits are efficient since they're easy to process. If you load large and hit large, you're going to waste more vapor- no way around that. If you want vapor rich hits but not as big as the SSV/DBV will encourage you to take, something like the e-nano or HI, used with a waterpipe, can allow you to easily control your hit size (direct from the stem/vapor tube), or get bigger ones using water filtration. You're not going to find anything that delivers big hits and still stretches your supply. That's like expecting high gas mileage from a V8.

hoptimum

IMO, a dual purpose vape like the EQ or I presume the HA won't deliver hits as heavy as the DBV or SSV. If you want to conserve with either of those latter two, just load less in the stem. A quarter stem, which is I think around 0.2 grams, is more than enough for me in the DBV.

hoptimum,

Meghan

My default these days to suggest an Underdog. I couldn't be happier with mine. Huge hits (if that's your thing), and even the smallest loads seem to go forever...at least via direct draw. It's simple, the customer service is awesome, and it has the added bonus of not totally looking like paraphernalia. :)

Meghan,
Reactions: Peloton

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I've never had an HA, but I respect it and would probably recommend it. Tough as nails, very efficient, no need for grinding and does bags and whips. The SSV whip works fine for small groups, so a bag experience is not a necessity.

stickstones,
Reactions: MG23

MG23

Relaxin'
I presume the HA won't deliver hits as heavy as the DBV or SSV.

Since the other two are dual mode models, the direct draw mode is a little more compromised. If you're not going to use bags I'd pass.

IMO these statements are unfounded and misleading.
Myself, and many other HA owners with the necessary comparative experience find the HA's direct draw option preferable to the DBV/SSV/EQ; stock vs stock. We find the hits to be more potent and less harsh.
The HA's direct draw option also requires much less work than the competition, while at the same time offering far superior heat penetration/extraction strength; bag blowing option aside.

MG23,
Reactions: Peloton

max

Out to lunch
IMO these statements are unfounded and misleading.
Myself, and many other HA owners with the necessary comparative experience find the HA's direct draw option preferable to the DBV/SSV/EQ; stock VS stock. We find the hits to be more potent and less harsh.
The HA's direct draw option requires much less work than the competition while at the same time offering far superior heat penetration/extraction strength; bag blowing option aside.
I used both the SSV and HA for years, and I don't agree with you. I liked the HA quite well as a bag filler but found it quite unsatisfactory (especially compared to the SSV) with direct draw. I've seen many posts, over many years, that agree with that assessment too. That makes my statement NOT unfounded or misleading, but just an opinion, like yours. I'll thank you now, for refraining in future posts, from calling others' opinions "unfounded and misleading".

max,

MG23

Relaxin'
I was not calling your opinion on which vape you prefer unfounded or misleading.
I am aware of your experience with the HA.
As I quoted: I was specifically referring to your conclusion that the HA's direct draw option is somehow "compromised" for the sake of the bag blowing option as being misleading.
As far as I know there is no factual basis supporting this claim, which makes it unfounded in my opinion.

Either way, I meant no offense; just trying to keep facts and opinions separate.

MG23,

max

Out to lunch
I probably should have worded my post to reflect my own personal experience, but my conclusion on these models is shared by many. I've been reading the experiences of others with these brands for many years on multiple forums. So where's your factual basis for "requires much less work than the competition while at the same time offering far superior heat penetration/extraction strength;"? I was touting the HA's hot air penetration with chunks of herb as far back as 7 yrs. ago, but that was with a constant stream of pumped air. I found those 18 tiny inlet holes much less useful with direct draw, so my conclusion was that the design was better suited to bag fill than direct hits. The narrow air path, fine for filling bags, along with the same narrow path in the supplied direct hit 'straws', restricts the draw compared to full sized whip vapes like the SSV and DBV. The Extreme goes in the other direction, with an all around wider air path and large bowl, providing a much lower vapor to air ratio vs. the 7th Floor models. For that reason the elbow screen became a popular alternative for placing the herb, where it could be packed to provide denser hits.

I've seen quite a few people say they're happy with the HA's direct draw, but most of them have used a glass piece to increase the size and density of the hits. And I don't get the "much less work" part, especially with the DBV, which I found did not normally need any bowl stirring or wand adjustment, since the outlet hole in the heater cover is large enough to cover the bowl diameter. I didn't find the SSV to be a lot of work either, since I tend to stir all but the most narrow of bowls (1/4" diameter), at least at the end before dumping. The HA, in direct draw mode, is a compromise IMO because I don't believe it would have been designed like that, with such a narrow air path, if it was a direct draw only model. While I'm glad that you and others are happy with it in direct mode, I believe a higher percentage of people like a dedicated whip vape for direct hits, vs. the HA or E.

max,

MG23

Relaxin'
So where's your factual basis for "requires much less work than the competition while at the same time offering far superior heat penetration/extraction strength;"?
It'll take some bowl stirring and wand rotation though, becuase of the narrow air stream hitting the bowl.

^^^ This, combined with a fine grind being mandatory for the other three models listed.
Herbalaire, on the other hand, requires 0 preparatory work (no grinding) as well as 0 intermediary work (no stirring or turning). With the HA, optimal results (complete extraction) at the temperature selected can be achieved simply by turning a knob, dropping in an entire piece and then hitting it to completion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Since the other two are dual mode models, the direct draw mode is a little more compromised.
The HA, in direct draw mode, is a compromise IMO because I don't believe it would have been designed like that, with such a narrow air path, if it was a direct draw only model.

This is all I was looking for; the opinion on theoretical design amended to an opinion instead of a fact.

MG23,

steiner666

Serial vapist
HA and SSV (and DBV of course, but to a lesser extent, IMO) are both solid as fuck vapes, but I'd pick HA between the two, and would especially recommend it to a vapor noob over the SSV for the same reasons that still love them for.

the smart temp controller guarantees no accidental combustion, and the accurate temp selection and thorough extraction leave no question as to whether you're "getting everything", which was one of my biggest questions when i first got into vaping. It was this "discovering where to stop" exploratory vaping that lead me to accidentally combust in my DBV when i first got it lol so the HA would have prevented that problem altogether, if i would have started with it.

between the two, it really just comes down to usage preference for me, in the end. sure, after a while i got to be such a pro with my SSV that i could vape herb to the same extent as the HA, it just took more effort to do so. by "effort" i mean i had to pay attention to knob position (and with no markings and an easily removable knob, thats always a bit of a guess anyway), mind my drawspeed, aim airflow around in the wand (standard HC), and stirring (probably more than was needed but i'm OCD like that).

I understand that some ppl, especially ppl coming from smoking, will like the 7th floor vapes for direct because they have that higher airflow rate, and you can crank up the knob to make the element hot enough that you can still get thick as hell rips even at those speeds. (But then you pass it to someone who hits it slow and FIRE!) However, restricted airflow, be it with HA, solo, logs, or whatever vape, never really bothered me.

Having that multi-mode option with HA is nice too, but even just comparing direct-draw modes i'd still want a HA if i had to choose.

I've compared the HA to driving an automatic and the SSV/DBV to a standard before, and i still think thats pretty accurate. some ppl really love the standard for their own reasons, but a lot of ppl would rather have things the easy way, so they can devote their hands and attention to something else (heh) but either way they both get you to the same place, Highasfuckville.

and i havent owned an EQ so i can't comment on that one at all

PuffItUp

Retailer
Really you are comparing 4 great vaporizers. I have to vote for the Extreme Q though, if anything for personal preference. We have a Q set up in the center of our computer table with a water pipe attached, the deep cyclone bowl lets you hit it for a long time without repacking making a great vape for sharing. Also, vapor quality is subjective, I like that on the Q you can set the the temp digitally to whatever you want, and you can also go from whip to balloon if you choose to do so.

PuffItUp,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom