First time Vape - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focalized

I never had an interest in vaping, but now with all the dry herb vapes, and a house full of kids I figured Id give it a shot.

Ive read so many reviews and watched so many videos. Ive heard good and bad about the more popular brands. I recently got ahold of a knock off G Pen elite, yes ive ready all about grenco on this site too. I read the reviews on the pro but wasnt impressed, the elite was everything i was looking for and more. The size is perfect, I liked the larger bowl, and the digital controls were nice. That being said, the Chinese version tasted horrible and no amount of cleaning or burn offs fixed it. I got my refund and was planning on buying from Grenco directly but wanted to see about other options.

Im looking for something small, similar size to the elite. Im only really using for herb, no need for liquids, and unless i can get some wax, which seems doubtful, dry herbs is all i need. Larger bowl, solo smoker, mainly looking for discretion around the kids, not something easily seen and smell to a minimum, and requiring minimal maintenance. I just cant get that with my bong....

Any thoughts from anyone using the G Pen ELITE?

Any other suggestions for another vape in the $150 ish price range with similar size and options?

Squiby

Any other suggestions for another vape in the $150 ish price range with similar size and options?

I highly recommend the Dynavap Vapcap. The base model is $30. The range for the different Vapcap models is from $30 USA glass model to $150 USA for the indestructible titanium model.

They are the size of a cigarette and they can stand up to vapes many times its cost. There are several configurations available as they have a modular build so you can swap out various components to get a customized look.

They really are fantastic vapes. Small, discrete, beautiful and very efficient. There is a dugout available to store your herb and Vapcap. When closed there is no discernable odor. The whole works fits easily in a pocket.

Since getting my Vapcap, my other vapes sit around gathering dust. The vapour is flavourful and VERY smooth. It is super efficient, you will save money on herb since tiny amounts of herb get you where you need to be. It is fast. You will be fully medicated in a minute.

Check out the Dynavap thread.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-225

And the Dynavap Website

http://www.dynavap.com

BprZ2kX.jpg

5Cvxqu7.jpg

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
The size is perfect, I liked the larger bowl, and the digital controls were nice. That being said, the Chinese version tasted horrible and no amount of cleaning or burn offs fixed it. I got my refund and was planning on buying from Grenco directly but wanted to see about other options.

Why if you didn't like the one you have, do you think buying direct from Grenco will be any different? It's the same shitty product no matter who you buy it from. Stay away from the elite - it's not worth the high pricetag.

There are many vaporizers which come to mind. Although I say for $150, you can't beat the Arizer Air.

It may not be the fastest vaporizer on the market, but it's reliable and versatile. Both the stems (which hold the herb) and the batteries are replaceable. And it uses a standard 18650 battery which makes charging and buying replacements super easy.

I have a vapcap and it's a great vaporizer, high temp extraction, efficient, and FAST to heat up. But not everyone can/wants to use a loud hissing butane torch - so keep that in mind. (Also I have problems using my Vapcap on beaches where the wind can cool off the vape before you get a good hit).

Im looking for something small, similar size to the elite. Im only really using for herb, no need for liquids, and unless i can get some wax, which seems doubtful, dry herbs is all i need. Larger bowl, solo smoker, mainly looking for discretion around the kids, not something easily seen and smell to a minimum, and requiring minimal maintenance. I just cant get that with my bong....

I'd love to suggest the Grasshopper vaporizer, but there is a LONG wait time for them right now. Which sucks because it's an amazing vape - 6 second heatup times, ultra stealth size (literally a pen!), replaceable batteries, and basically no maintenance (remove mouthpiece and drop in cup of ISO when dirty, that is it lol). And it can blow huge clouds thanks to its convection heater.

Many people love the grasshopper for ultra stealth needs, but it's just out of your price range, and right now preorders are about 1 year behind schedule (I waited 15 months for my hopper, but the wait is decreasing now that they've started mass production)

Alternatively I might suggest the Magic Flight Launch Box - it's not the easiest vaporizer to "learn" (so sharing with friends may be difficult). But it's very affordable, and produces some amazing clouds with practice. And you can even go ultra stealthy by removing the mouthpiece and holding the vape in the palm of your hand - with practice you could make it look like you're blowing into your hands to keep them warm.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Welcome to FC! If you stick around I'm sure you will find this is a great community.

The G-Pen isn't respected much around here, I have no experience with it but I trust this forum a lot. We collectively want to help others select quality vaporizers, and we support vaporizer manufacturers that put out quality products.

If you like the G-Pen, I suggest the Focus or maybe the new Focus Pro. I haven't used one but they have a lot of fans here and I've considered buying one to play around with. I have a Grasshopper and VapCap, and agree with everything @Ratchett says about those, and add that vapcaps have wait times of over a month on average when purchased direct from Dynavap.

If you don't mind a little bigger vape the Boundless CF is one of the best bargains in the vape market right now in my opinion. It's slower to heat up than the hopper and vapcap, but faster than the Focus, 30 seconds or less for the CF.

There are discount codes for Boundless's site (BNDLSFC) and puffitup.com (FC-1). @PuffItUp is a great retailer with an active presence on the forums, who ships insanely fast and provides excellent customer service. They carry the Boundless, Focus/Pro, and VapCap (and many more!) but they are currently sold out of vapcaps.

In my opinion you should probably get a CF, or maybe a Focus/Pro if you prefer the pen form. This will get you vaping as soon as possible. There is a good chance you are going to want a second vape anyways, at least for backup purposes. Using a nice solid budget vape will give you a good idea of what you like and prefer in a vaporizer, and will help make that second purchase easier.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

I agree with @Ratchett about the grasshopper, but it does have a small oven (but you don't need a big one with that vape!).

I'll add to your options, the pax2. That's another elegant, small profile vape with a great warranty. It's just solid, and may have the oven size you are looking for.

The only possible negative based on your wish list is that people say it does smell. Personally, I haven't noticed that, but there's a simple inexpensive solution...get end caps from @Ratchett !

I have to add that I really like @Vapor_Eyes reasoning about a first vape. Everyone on fc knows that first vape is only the beginning...

waxdab23

Also consider getting a smoke buddy. Those things are magical for discretion.

waxdab23,

bounce5

I recommend the Sploofy over the Smoke Buddy. Sploofy makes the vapor disappear completely and has a replaceable filter. They also have great customer service.

bounce5,

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I recommend the Sploofy over the Smoke Buddy. Sploofy makes the vapor disappear completely and has a replaceable filter. They also have great customer service.
I've used a smoke buddy jr. and a Grasshopper during a movie in the theater with no visible vapor at all. The smoke buddy jr. and hopper make a great pair! The filter isn't replaceable but it is super compact and discreet, you can hide it in the palm of your hand and it doesn't make an awkward bulge in your pocket.

And as @Mr. Me2 says, the first vape is just a beginning. It sounds a little shitty before you enter our world. You need more than one device to get high? I can get high with an apple, some aluminum foil, and a bic lighter!

I know that at first I wanted one vape to rule them all. That's simply not possible. I look at vaporizers like a tool, one for each purpose.

One vape is definitely enough to get you by until you buy your second vape, even if that takes a year or more. The great thing is, you save so much money vaping that eventually your vaporizers pay for themselves. At least that's what I keep telling myself lol!

But seriously, vaping is so much better in the long run. Besides the health benefits, I get more effects with less material, and it is more enjoyable with less negative side affects.

bounce5

I recommend the Milaana. It's a very solid portable battery powered on -demand convection unit. Since I bought mine, it's become my favorite for home use through a waterpipe. I was on the hunt for the best vape that is compact, affordable, and efficient from the beginning. I started with butane vapes because of their reliability. No electronics to break afterall. But I found in the end that I value the silence that the battery powered vape, Milaana had to offer. In addition it has an open airpath (meaning it's easy to draw so it feels more natural/comfortable), it has replaceable batteries, a simple glass airpath with scientific glass that is cheap and easy to clean (maintenance, check!). The the fact that is on-demand vs session vape is nice. That means it only heats up when you engage the button, then it cools - that means it's more efficient. And it's powerful, so it gives really big hits if you want that. That also makes it easier to finish your sessions quickly, which is also nice because vaping dries out the throat a bit - doesn't matter which device you use. So yeah, I recommend the Milaana. Maybe you can tell I'm a bit affected from it's effects right now....;):lol:

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
I still love my flowermate. Even with the addition of the Evo as my main unit, the flowermate tastes good, decent size bowls, and very even vaping. We have used it public since it looks like a high end ecig, and the smell is so minimal no one notices, even in an illegal state.

I don't want to use a lighter, otherwise I would likely have tried the vapcap first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom