First-time vape buyer, trying to decide between SSV and EQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rextober

Hey everyone,

After my bong broke, I decided to up my game and start researching vaporizers. After trying to take in all of the information out there (forums, videos, manf. websites), I'm experiencing a bit of analysis paralysis about what kind of vaporizer to purchase. I understand that there is no "best," I'm just looking for something that's the "best fit" for me. Given how knowledgeable this community seems, I figure I'd let you know what I'm looking at, a couple questions I'm having, and if you guys have any recommendations or advice on the subject, I'd be much obliged. Thank you in advance for reading this, as I fear I may have lots of questions ahead!

This is a big purchase for me financially, and after having my bong break (fragile percolator branches) I really want to buy something that will give me a smooth and reliable vaping experience.

Three units I've heard really good things about are the Extreme Q (EQ) and the Silver Surfer (SSV) and it's little brother, the Da Budda Vaporizer (DBV).

Point #1: Build Quality
I heard the DBV and SSV especially, are built extremely tough, and that the EQ has some more fragile parts. But the swivel feature on the EQ makes it seem less likely to get accidentally knocked over.

Point #2: Thick Hits / Harsh Hits
I like getting really high, but I usually don't like really large hits that kill my lungs. With my bong, I would usually take a handful of small rips, rather than one or two monster hits. So I don't think a high vapor to air ratio, would be necessity (though as an option, I would welcome it for use on some occasions). Does a thicker vapor usually equal a harsher hit? I've heard the SSV delivers huge hits, but if I turn the temp down, can I get smoother hits with it?

Point #3: Hands Free / Ability to Stay Warm
My preference would be for hands-free, I think. Unless manually rotating the bowl achieves greater efficiency. But my concern is that with all of these units, when the whip is locked on to the heating element, is the herb still being vaporized between hits? Do I have to turn off the vaporizer in between hits so I don't lose herb? Or if I'm not haling, than additional herb is not being vaporized? Do most of you guys leave your units on most of the time if you know you are going to smoke again in a couple hours?

Point #4: Noise
Compared to each other, how loud are these units?

Point #5: SSV, a better whip experience?
A lot of what I've been reading has been suggesting that If I'm strictly using these as whip vapes, then the SSV is superior to the EQ. Aside from perhaps a thicker vapor, why is this? Do all of these units have different max temperatures?

Point 6: Cleaning / Reloading Ease
How do these units compare to each other as far as ease of cleaning and ease of loading new herb?
Also, when loading these units, I've seen some videos where the herb is "vaccumed" into the bowl/chamber. How are they doing this?

Point 7: Smell / Aroma
Do these units create different/stronger smells than one another when in use? Does vapor creep across a house or apartment like smoke does. Discretion is important for me.

Point 8: Go Portable?
My friend asked me why I just don't buy a MFLB since the vaping experience is pretty much the same minus swapping out the batteries instead of having it plugged in. This is a tempting option too. But something in the back of my head is telling me that a less-portable unit will give me a better vaping experience if I'm not on the move, is this true?

Point 9: SSV over DBV?
Is the SSV worth the extra money over the DBV. I would be buying the metal hands free attachment for the SSV, if I ended up getting it.

Thanks everyone!

Rextober,

gim

1: I think the older extreme towers gave a semi bad rap about fragility on the EQ. The element is very secure/immobile and I never feel that any part is fragile beyond expectation. The base is wide enough that the unit sits very securely and the element is hidden behind a metal shroud. I would not consider the EQ to be any more fragile than other units.

2: I generally side on the idea of more hits over harsh hits. I've heard the SSV can produce monsters. With the EQ I have choked myself out a few times just like back in the days when I used to combust, so it is certainly possible. The variable control from 50C to 260C really pretty much allows you to hit it however you want.

3: The EQ as you probably know has a quick heat-up time and uses 3 sensors to average the core temp. As long as you're not using the fan, if you're not hitting it there is no vaporization happening(or very very little). You can take a hit and come back in two hours for the next one if you want. The EQ has an auto off feature you can set to various lengths so you don't forget it's on. I typically leave it at 2 hours because otherwise I've probably wandered off and forgotten about it.

4: No real experience here, other than the eq is very quiet.

5: Again, no direct comparison to SSV. Keep in mind the availability of the option to use bags is nice.

6: ..

7: The smell is certainly better in every way. The smell is much more herbal, but also much more faint. My gf hates the smell of combusted herb but doesnt mind the vaped smell at all. I used to worry about the smell (of combusting) on my clothing but with vaping it is nearly non-existent. All units should probably be pretty similar. You're always going to get more smell the higher in temp you go(and more you do).

8: The EQ has an optional battery pack.

I'm sure someone with more experience on the other units as well will chime in. Don't forget the EQ's remote.. it seems like a gimmick but really is a nice feature to have.

gim,

Rooster99

I just went through the same thought process - I ended up ordering an EQ. I chose it due to its noob friendlyness (i can give ppl bags or let them do those vapor shooters), its flexible, it allows me to try many different forms of vaping. I figured it was going to be the 1st of many vapes so I would get a jack of all trades and go from there if i truly get into the whip experience. I also think the Cloud would be worth waiting for.

Rooster99,
I would go with the EQ if you want the ability to do bags and it's really simple operation , I do small rips all the time I just suck up a tiny pile of herb into the elbow of the wand and get 2-3 good hits and that is enough for me for a few hours . I love the remote control option it is great to put on a bag and walk away and when you notice it is full just click the fan off and come grab it when your ready to get Vaked :)

I have never tried the SSV or DBV they look nice and all but I think the EQ is easier to use and is more flexible to what you want out of it .

BcBud420,

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
I would recommend SSV for a purist experience. Less breakable parts, very effective simplistic design with the downward angle.

audiodelic,

stinkmeaner

Rextober said:
Point #1: Build Quality
I heard the DBV and SSV especially, are built extremely tough, and that the EQ has some more fragile parts. But the swivel feature on the EQ makes it seem less likely to get accidentally knocked over.
!
The SSV & DBV are pretty sturdy but it is really only because of the simple materials they use, they are made out of standard aluminum pipe as the housing and inside you have a common dimmer hooked up to a cartridge heater which is just like the ones found in $20 soldering iron. Now this has no reflection on how the SSV works because they work well, but with the VapeXhale Cloud coming out, the SSV is just going to be outclassed in that price range. With the VapeXhale Cloud you have a device actually designed from the ground up as a vaporizer instead of the SSV that you can literally build in your garage with a trip to the Home Depot and Radio Shack, the Cloud features an electronic temperature control using a PID loop, a full glass heat exchanger, and it is housed in its own proprietary aluminum housing which was designed and molded just for the Cloud. After reading this and still want to buy an SSV, go to Ebay and bid on one instead of using the "buy it now" feature because they sell for $180-190 all the time, with the materials they use it is simply not worth the retail price in my opinion.

If you are considering the EQ then you need to look the at the pictures in this thread: http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3131
If build quality is important then you should consider the Herbal Aire or the Zephyr Ion

stinkmeaner,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
stinkmeaner said:
Now this has no reflection on how the SSV works because they work well, but with the VapeXhale Cloud coming out, the SSV is just going to be outclassed in that price range.
I agree, I have been more than satisfied with my SSV, but I am considering selling it just to get the Cloud. As an SSV owner since January, my advice is to save your money and wait for the Cloud, :2c:

AgentofChaos,

tuttle

At this point I don't think suggestions for the Cloud are going to be very helpful. It is still in development with no timeline for release and has major unwanted body heating issues which (in my opinion) will not be solved by simply adding insulation, it is going to require a body redesign. So I don't think it is going to be a good candidate for someone who wants to get into the market now.

I haven't used the Extreme so I can't comment on it. I do have a SSV which had been my main hitter for a while, but has been replaced by a log style vape for everyday type use, but still serves as the big hitter. I will agree with some of what stinkmeaner said above, the SSV is pretty simple (it is more that just a dimmer, the heater is controlled by a thyristor, but still pretty simple). I got mine for $175, and for that price I would say it is worth it. As for SSV vs. DBV, I think the main decision you have to make is if you want the standard wand that the SSV offers, or do you only want hands free GG connection. If you are only going to use hands free, then it seems that it would make more sense to go with the DBV. If you want both then the SSV.

tuttle,

stinkmeaner

tuttle said:
At this point I don't think suggestions for the Cloud are going to be very helpful. It is still in development with no timeline for release and has major unwanted body heating issues which (in my opinion) will not be solved by simply adding insulation, it is going to require a body redesign. So I don't think it is going to be a good candidate for someone who wants to get into the market now.

I haven't used the Extreme so I can't comment on it. I do have a SSV which had been my main hitter for a while, but has been replaced by a log style vape for everyday type use, but still serves as the big hitter. I will agree with some of what stinkmeaner said above, the SSV is pretty simple (it is more that just a dimmer, the heater is controlled by a thyristor, but still pretty simple). I got mine for $175, and for that price I would say it is worth it. As for SSV vs. DBV, I think the main decision you have to make is if you want the standard wand that the SSV offers, or do you only want hands free GG connection. If you are only going to use hands free, then it seems that it would make more sense to go with the DBV. If you want both then the SSV.
That is kind of funny, I don't think you know about thyristors or how a dimmer works, so I will make this as short as possible.

A thyristor is the main component in a common household dimmer, you commonly have a TRIAC or a SCR but for cost reasons the more common is TRIAC, it works by alternating power current by turning the power off for up to 120 times per second. A TRIAC is a bidirectional triode thyristor.

As for the Cloud, they will not have to redesign the housing, Stonemonkey55 already said they are looking into Aerogel, do you know that a 5mm thick Aeogel blanket can insulate up to 1,200 degrees fahrenheit. Truth be told we are dealing with vaporizing temperatures which are extremely low in the insulation markey and many other insulation products will work, Aerogel would actually be overkill.

mod note: update- the Cloud will not use Aerogel. "we are no longer using Aerogel, it just didn't work for this application properly."

stinkmeaner,

max

Out to lunch
Is the SSV worth the extra money over the DBV. I would be buying the metal hands free attachment for the SSV, if I ended up getting it.
My :2c: - if you're going to use hands free, get the DBV. The SSV with the attachment will give you a narrow air stream which, during a long hit, will tend to overcook the targeted part of the herb, and limit the size of your hit (unless you have a large load in the bowl). The standard connection on the SSV works much better 'as is' because you can slightly move/rotate the wand during a hit to provide better coverage of the bowl contents. How much you move the wand is up to you and also depends on the amount you load. With a small load you'd want to move the wand angle quite a bit, for good coverage. OTOH, if you want to limit your hit size, the narrow stream and a short/quick draw also works well. The standard connection gives you more options, hit wise, but takes a little more attention.

Using the HF attachment (may not be a perfect fit on the heater cover either), you'd end up having to remove it to stir the bowl between hits. Buying the SSV with hands free wand/heater cover is a much better setup than the adapter IMO. I believe Vapeworld sells 'em at standard price, so that's the way to go for hands free SSV. The downside to HF with ground glass on this model is gravity. Some slippage may occur down the road. Hard to say.

The DBV is the way to go, IMO, for hands free use with a 7th Floor product. It also provides big hits but in general they're more predictable. The horizontal angle is also better for hands free use. Your load will stay put and so will the wand.

max,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom