First time chef

Soup

OK, I'm looking at 30gm of ABV and some coconut oil. Just opening this jar makes me gag. I don't have anything special to cook with, so how can I make this palatable to put in some brownies. How much do I use . Is there a good reference site or book for this. I would be using about 1/4 cup of the coconut oil along with some butter.

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I also have accumulated my ABV and am looking for some way to put it to use.
My preference would be a tincture but am having a challenge accessing the proper high proof aclchol.
One thing you may want to Google is washing the ABV which apparently eliminates the burnt popcorn elements.

hans solo,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've had great experiences simply blending the ABV into a milkshake after I've powdered the ABV.
10 - 14 grams of powdered ABV blended into a Vanilla/Nutella/Peanut butter milkshake gets me to where I want to be.

Soup

You should not feel the need to blow you cookies when you open your ABV jar. My ABV has a scent of herb and a slight toasted aroma.

It has the smell of a dirty ashtray and the thought of eating ashes, well...

So right now 12 gm is in the crock pot in some coconut oil, I will strain it later and make some brownies. I am unsure about the amount to use. I keep seeing people say that 1 - 2 gm is a lot to use and yet I see
Ramas say he has used 14 gm in a single milkshake. I can't see it as worth the trouble if this jar that took months to accumulate will only be good for two uses.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Ramas say he has used 14 gm in a single milkshake.

I generally require a significantly larger dose than most claim to need.
Always start out small, then work your way up as you gain experience.

I'd suggest just starting out eating the equivalent of a gram or two the first time.
Maybe your first dose or two will be enough to give you an experience...maybe it won't. But that's a LOT better than eating too much and having a very uncomfortable experience (or just sleeping for 20 hours. lol).

Soup

OK, 12 gm, 12 hours in the crock pot. The yield was slightly less than 1/2 cup coconut oil, strained it. It made 12 mini brownies. Eating 4 yielded very mild buzz at about an hour, it was surprisingly short lived.
Did not taste as bad as I expected, if I hadn't known I would probably thought they were OK. Next time I will use much less oil, that was a lot of brownies to eat! I'm not sure it was worth the effort, but it encouraged me to experiment with bud.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I’m like @Ramahs & @Soup as far as edibles, not only with ABV brownies but commercial edibles, nothing spectacular. Like a big space cake in Amsterdam or once on the flight back to England I ate a canna chocolate bar and quite a few gummy bears with little to no effect. In Amsterdam of course there were many other things in the day, but I waited and gave it a chance. Nada. :\

I’ve got a weird gut disease which maybe explains it? I’m trying once last time with ABV, if I get the same result (nothing really) then I’m just going to start pitching it. Not worth my time and energy, but I have been thinking cooking with concentrates could be a fun learning experience! :evil:

virtualpurple

@pxl_jockey if you ever want to dive deeper to see if your illness contributes to your lack of effect feel free to hit me up! I’m finishing up an advanced practice degree and although most of my experience is based in emergency medicine all of my schooling is geared towards primary care. I’ve got quite a few resources at my disposal in terms of textbooks, research databases, etc. and of course, I’m my time in medicine I’ve worked with many providers that are just leaps and bounds ahead of me in terms of knowledge.

I too feel like I require much stronger doses than many to really lift off.

I have had decent luck with milkshakes mixed with AVB in the past and honestly was able to cover up most of the taste.

In general though it is incredibly hit and miss.

I made a batch of fruity pebbles treats about a month ago using a little over a quarter, probably 10 grams of decarbed bud into about a quarter cup of cocunut oil. I initially planned to make 9 treats but ended up making 4 treats of roughly equal size.

My permanent residence is in Alaska but I am in Texas until May completing my FNP so I am back to purchasing on the black market so I have no idea what the strength is, so I went with the assumption of 10% (that’s apparently what the US reported was the average thc content in 2009). Just a decent rule of thumb to use when estimating dosage when you don’t have that sort of data available.

If indeed I was around 10% thc, using 10g of bud I should have had 1000 mg of thc in the batch, so 250mg per edible.

Super inconsistent results. The first and third edible really didn’t seem to do much at all for me. The second edible started to kick into gear and had me thinking I was going to really blast off but it subsided within about 2 hours.

I’m just an average sized guy, 5’11” and float between 165-185 depending on my diet and activities. My weed guy is probably closer to 6’4” and probably minimum 260 pounds. He got the last treat (hey, take care of your dealer and he’ll probably take care of you) and though I told him my results weren’t that great he apparently had a great time with it.

I wish I had the answer because when I take edibles I’m seeking that “oh shit, was this a mistake?” experience. I just think it’s a great opportunity for introspection and to put myself under a microscope.

The few times I’ve really gotten that experience it has been an uncomfortable and sometimes emotional ride that I find very valuable, unfortunately the real journey has been trying to actually get there lol.

If you do end up giving up on your avb for edibles consider keeping it around to make a medicated lotion or salve with. In addition to coconut oil you can toss in some beeswax and essential oils and make anything from a neutral lotion to an icy-hot type of rub. I e not yet made it for myself but several people here on the boards have reported good results to help with achey joints.

You could always try and make a tincture with the avb but man I would probably try and water wash for awhile before trying that, I imagine that the taste will be quite terrible but if you can make it strong enough you may be able to get a pretty decent sedative effect from throwing a bit underneath your tongue for awhile.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I’m like @Ramahs & @Soup as far as edibles, not only with ABV brownies but commercial edibles, nothing spectacular. Like a big space cake in Amsterdam or once on the flight back to England I ate a canna chocolate bar and quite a few gummy bears with little to no effect. In Amsterdam of course there were many other things in the day, but I waited and gave it a chance. Nada. :\

I’ve got a weird gut disease which maybe explains it? I’m trying once last time with ABV, if I get the same result (nothing really) then I’m just going to start pitching it. Not worth my time and energy, but I have been thinking cooking with concentrates could be a fun learning experience! :evil:
If you want to test your ABV just sprinkle some on left over pizza or peanut butter. I use 1/4 tsp if I don't know that batch of ABV. If you feel nothing, try another day with 1/2 tsp. Right now I have coconut oil, alcohol tincture, honey elixer, an alcohol and honey blend, honey elixer, and agave nectar elixer all made with ABV. They all have an effect. It's not as strong as bud or trim, so I use more ABV than I would bud or trim when making these goodies. They get plenty strong.
The gut issue can be bypassed by using the tincture and elixer sublingually. Put a few drops under your tongue, and bypass the digestive system entirely. Works quicker as well by going right into the bloodstream.

Last edited:

aoaiwof

The only time I've had success was when I made some cookies, but no idea how much ABV I put in! Ate 1g on a cheese sandwich the other day but didn't get anywhere. Going to try a 2g dose at some point.

anycolouryoulike

Generally speaking I would put the ABV in jars with water. Change the water after some hours, then the next day. When the water remains clear you've done it enough times. After that make cannabutter with it. The butter can in turn be easily used in a cup of hot chocolate or brownies or cookies or even frozen if you don't want to use it straight away.

Last edited:
anycolouryoulike,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I was going through so much cheese cloth, I finally ordered some nut milk bags from Amazon. They have a draw string, so they can be dunked in liquid like a large tea bag, then pulled out and drained to strain. Two cost the same as my last pack of cheese cloth. Bonus, I can make almond milk using one, water cure ABV with the other, then infuse almond milk with the ABV. Extra bonus, I can use almond milk as is, or add starter and turn into ABV yogurt.
Even without the nut detour, I'm glad to not have to keep buying cheese cloth, and rinsing only takes a few seconds. I'm pleased that they can be reused.

Last edited:

aoaiwof

I've heard that the washing helps with flavour but not much else, what are your experiences with this peeps?

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
simple,time honored and super effective firecrackers - try this:
ingredients: graham crackers, creamy peanut butter, coconut oil (optional but recommended)
preheat oven to between 305 to 310. use an oven thermometer for this or any edible because it's otherwise wildly inaccurate and we're dealing with science not chicken.
spread healthy gobs of peanut butter on two graham crackers.
sprinkle ABV as generously as you want on top of both crackers.
add a bit of coconut oil on top of each.
swirl the bud into the peanut butter with a toothpick.
then, join both crackers together to form a sandwich.
fold it into a sheet of aluminum foil but fold it tight so the vapors don't escape.
throw it into the stove and bake for 23 minutes.
after the 23 minutes shut stove off and open door to prevent further baking.
best stored in the freezer.
When ready, eat, wait 90 minutes and see God in colors.

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
It is weird. I don't like the effect and after effects of whole plant edibles, long infused tinctures etc.. Doesn't matter if I eat little or a lot. Extracts based edibles might be much more tolerable for me.
ABV might contain more CBN than fresh material?

Sick Vape,

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I vape exclusively at 338f and I find the tincture I make from my abv has some interesting attributes.
It seems to blend all the best strains that I have vaped into one awesome effect

hans solo,

aoaiwof

I usually vape around 360F/370F and finish on 390F, but I'm not always getting super dark brown ABV, and there is definitely a little smell left, so I figure it must still have cannabinoids left.

I'll keep collecting more and do a wash. I don't mind the taste as long as there isn't too much: 1g on a cheese sandwich was tasty, 4g was just too much. But it seems like people fall into either a 'sensitive' or 'desensitive' camp: some people report getting blasted on 1g and other people need 8g+ to get very little lift.

The most I've had in one go was 4g, so I guess I will try and collect until I have at least 12g, and then wash and try an oil extraction and cook with that.

aoaiwof,
Top Bottom