First Batch of Duff Butter Under Way

xman

I just threw about 7 or 8 grams of Duff in a small pot with a cup of water, 1/4 cup butter AND .... my Solo stem. The stem is almost clean already. That's pure cannabinoid there. I'm going to let the duff boil for 4 or 5 hours and see how it looks. Cheese cloth is around here somewhere. Never done this before. Used to just empty the ashtray and scrape my bowl. What would a standard dose be considered, a tablespoon?

X

xman,

Bouldorado

What's the theory with the water? Seems unnecessary IMO. Anyway, assuming that "duff" is vaped weed and that your butter method works, you don't want to eat a whole tbsp unless you have a very high tolerance.

Just do the math: 1/4 cup butter = 1/2 stick = 4 tablespoons. Eating a tbsp will give you ~2grams + a portion of the solo reclaim.

Bouldorado,

xman

Teaspoon then I guess, but are you sure a gram of butter is equal to a gram of weed?

The water helps to regulate the temperature (butter alone would get too hot and burn off the THC, CBD & CBN) as well as bear out some impurities apparently.

I just realised I forgot to coffee grinder grind my duff down to dust. I hope I can still expect a good result. Maybe I'll try to cook longer.

xman,

Bouldorado

Haha no I didn't say that at all.

1/4 cup butter = 1/2 stick = 1/8 lb
1/8 lb * 16oz =2oz
1oz =28g
2oz * 28g = 56g (butter)/8g (abv) = ~1g weed per every 7g of butter.

If you weigh out your dose, I'd say 5g of butter is a good start.

Bouldorado,
Reactions: Enchantre

xman

Just about 5 hours now and I'm getting anxious. The place doesn't smell too bad, I've been running the stovetop fan most of the afternoon. Gonna get ready for the straining now.

Couldn't find the cheesecloth so I just used a fine mesh SS strainer. This is a small amount so it worked fine, but for anything larger I think I'd want to consider my plan better and be more fully prepared. 6 hours cooking in total.

The mixture is already separating into mostly poo water and inky green saturated fat. I've rinsed everything and squeezed the duff as well as I could but I know there' still some goodness in there. I'm trying to figure the best way to extract it. Throw it in some coffee grinds maybe and put the oily tools right in the pot.

I calculate that I started with about 55ml of butter and appear to have about 15ml in the cooling jar. I believe I've read to expect a slight loss, around 15-20%, but this seems crazy.

xman,

Bouldorado

Either the butter didn't fully congeal, or your 5 hrs of boiling managed to burn a lot of it off.

This is why it would've been better to not use water, and not cook for so long. 5 hours is WAY to long; 1 hour would have been plenty. Even 20 or 30 minutes would have been sufficient, especially since you were using abv, which is at least partly activated by the vape.

Bouldorado,

xman

I've read "the longer the better", but after 6 hrs or so you start wasting time. Maybe it different with duff.

The butter looks creamy and a little inconsistent with some suspended particles that made it through the SS mesh. (there was a small hole) If I give my process an B for ease and effectiveness
(took a mark for forgetting to buzz the duff first), then I'd have to give the resultant product aesthetic a D. It's beautiful to look at from the top, but the side of the jar reveals the low quality. Cheesecloth next time for sure.

I'm going to rinse the remaining buttery duff in my coffee this morning. This won't be a true indicator of how stiff a dose is but it'll be a fun prelude.

Slight buttery taste in the coffee, but not much. I guess I squeezed it out better than I thought. I'm not expecting to feel anything from this.

Nw I just have to decide what I think the rest of it is worth and try a dose.

xman,

xman

Dumping the poo water revealed a much better looking product than it appeared to be from outside the jar. I broke them into about 4 teaspoon sized servings. Duff butter smells pretty good. I just smeared one of the servings on toast and while I wouldn't say the taste is exactly palatable, it's not offensive. Easily "complimented" by another flavour, I chose blueberry jam this time. I'm going to wait a while and see what happens, then report back with me final update/ This has been fun. :)

xman,

xman

k, I have a nice body buzz. Nothing stellar, but my tolerance is very high right now. I'm planning a tolerance recovery soon and I'll be able to tell a little better then, but I think it worked okay.

SO

Preparation

Process A The duff cooks for along time at a cooler temperature in this recipe it was still a very easy process. I'd probably do it again.

My Action B Even though I neglected to buzz grind the duff it still went pretty smoothly. Few moving parts makes it easier not to mess up.

Result

Look A creamy and green like it should be, a very small amount of debris.

Smell C Although the cooked aroma is present making the smell a bit dank I don't mind it and my wife, who has a very sensitive nose and dislikes the smell says that although she didn't like it, it was still better than smelling smoke. Although this doesn't add up to very good grade it does warrant a significant passing grade.

Taste C Alone on toast won't be everyone's thing but it is easy to make this enjoyable. There are probably some awesome ways to compliment the flavour that are waiting to be discovered.

Dose (provisional)B Seems to be about as potent as any edibles I've had on average which, admittedly, vary wildly.

Conclusions

This was a great experience. If it had been a complete disaster it could have been disheartening, but having some success right away as well as seeing room for simple improvements is inspiring. I'm going to find out about other processes that, with little equipment can still yield good results and get me to cooking edibles. I'll need 200-300g of duff and a roughly equivalent amount of saturated fat to get to the point where I can bake a tray of brownies and stronger is always better than weaker. With the efficiency of my new vape that's going to take a couple of months to achieve. Maybe I can talk to some friends about teaming up and sharing the results. :brow:

xman,

xman

Thanks, I saw that, but didn't think it'd be as effective as cooking. I'll give it a try.

The problem I have with eating it is that unless the cannabinoids are in a saturated fat emulsion, I've never gotten anything off it.

xman,
Top Bottom