Firewood Vaporizer

chililvr

I have searched this forum from the introduction of FW8 through now for how to best clean the ceramic parts. Some say iso is no help, others suggest soaking the parts in iso overnight, and someone even mentioned that heating the empty capsule kind of burns off the surface. Would everyone please share their best methods for cleaning the ceramic capsules and mouth connection? Thank you!

chililvr,
Reactions: Duba

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I have searched this forum from the introduction of FW8 through now for how to best clean the ceramic parts. Some say iso is no help, others suggest soaking the parts in iso overnight, and someone even mentioned that heating the empty capsule kind of burns off the surface. Would everyone please share their best methods for cleaning the ceramic capsules and mouth connection? Thank you!
Ceramic capsules soak in a vial of iso for 20 minutes or so. Elbow connector gets swabbed inside and out with iso-soaked q-tips. Everything gets rinsed with water and air-dried.

My capsules do have stains but I don't worry about it.

bigeasier

Been loving my FW9. Question to those here, how are you folks removing the abv after smoking? I've been waiting until it cools and then blowing through the screen to pop out the puck nice and clean. Its been super easy but last night I noticed that I blew out the screen doing this!

moondog

Been loving my FW9. Question to those here, how are you folks removing the abv after smoking? I've been waiting until it cools and then blowing through the screen to pop out the puck nice and clean. Its been super easy but last night I noticed that I blew out the screen doing this!
I never need to hit two capsules back to back so I don't need to take out a capsule until it's totally cooled. I dislodge the ABV with a stirring tool and pour it out. Then I use a small wire brush to clean off the screen and get any stragglers out of there. Finally, I'll blow through the screen for good luck. 🤓

Just stopping by to say I'm about 5 months in to daily FW8 use and I still love it. I think the extra capsules and two batteries make for easy regular use. I don't use a tool to take out the capsules anymore, though I still prefer a scoop for packing.

Great device, well made and beautiful! Hope you're all enjoying your firewood, and thanks again to this community for helping me find the right vape!

sternica

Just got a FW9 as well. Hits hard! I also don’t mind the capsule system…it’s easier than it’s described. I’m usually done after a bowl but if hot swap is needed, probably better to get extra capsules. Going to continue testing…
How is your FW9 treating you?

sternica,

leanpubpackage

How is your FW9 treating you?
I really enjoy it. I am a big fan of hybrid heating and the fact that this is an on-demand hybrid is a plus.

I run mine mostly at 430 native. First hits are always light and terpy as the bowl takes time to heat up. The second hits are always the biggest and punchiest for me. Sometimes I even hold the button 5 seconds after the buzz if I want to cough my brains out.

I have 0 issues with the capsule system and I actually take more issue with the wood on wood battery and bowl cover. It’s not the smoothest experience and I worry about the longevity of it. Pressing the button 4-9 times to set temperature can be difficult if you have poor coordination and timing.

Having an extra pot will always come in handy with this device.

3STOCK

Now about 1 month into having the FW9 and using it daily and happy to report it’s been fantastic!
Personally, low temps for flavorful rips are my preference and so I set temp 1 at 330F, temp 2 at 350, and temp 3 at 370 (mostly for CBD bowls). Keeping it at 330 will usually clear a bowl with the added conduction element. FWIW I find flower can combust at higher temps if you hold down the button for too long.

The biggest learning over time has been patience: Unlike the Crafty, you should wait a bit after finishing a bowl to empty the it such that you can hold the ceramic bowl in your hands and blow out the flower in mostly one puck/piece. Was using tweezers when I first started and emptying the bowl immediately after each session was done but it wasn’t clearing very well and getting dirty so I use tweezers less and less.

Having external batteries (I bought 2 Sony Murata VTC 18650s) as well as an external charger means no unwanted downtime and that rocks.

Been using this case for travel with a spare battery, spare bowl, and tweezers for on-the-go (link: https://a.co/d/0fylRN7)

If you’re going to use tweezers, the smaller cross-locked aka pinch to open ones are pretty clutch: https://a.co/d/0d7cNuc

Definitely worth buying some spare bowls as well, plus this loading tool also works as a great holding spot for spare bowls (https://delta3dstudios.com/firewood-v8-capsule-loading-tray)

Cleaning components in iso has been insanely easy and makes maintenance a major selling point of the FW9 compared to standards like S&B portables (in addition to better battery, beauty, flavor, and vapor cooling)

Lastly, per Marc’s instructions, I bought 120 and 180 grit sandpaper blocks (https://a.co/d/8IcAHwn) and wax (ZBD GOODS Z's Tung Oil, Beeswax, & Carnauba Wax https://a.co/d/0IA2S7y) and have done 3 coats on the FW9 so far, each looks better than the last. Plus it’s a very meditative process that takes no longer than 20 minutes each time plus 15 minutes of drying if you do it right. Image attached after just 1 coat. The wax makes the wood color warmer and slightly darker each time which is beautiful.

Many thanks to this thread that convinced me to buy. Every single friend who’s tried the FW9 has been blown away and envious. The most frequent thing I’ve heard from friends is “this is not only the best portable vape I’ve ever tried, but it’s also a work of art.”

moondog

Now about 1 month into having the FW9 and using it daily and happy to report it’s been fantastic!
Personally, low temps for flavorful rips are my preference and so I set temp 1 at 330F, temp 2 at 350, and temp 3 at 370 (mostly for CBD bowls). Keeping it at 330 will usually clear a bowl with the added conduction element. FWIW I find flower can combust at higher temps if you hold down the button for too long.

The biggest learning over time has been patience: Unlike the Crafty, you should wait a bit after finishing a bowl to empty the it such that you can hold the ceramic bowl in your hands and blow out the flower in mostly one puck/piece. Was using tweezers when I first started and emptying the bowl immediately after each session was done but it wasn’t clearing very well and getting dirty so I use tweezers less and less.

Having external batteries (I bought 2 Sony Murata VTC 18650s) as well as an external charger means no unwanted downtime and that rocks.

Been using this case for travel with a spare battery, spare bowl, and tweezers for on-the-go (link: https://a.co/d/0fylRN7)

If you’re going to use tweezers, the smaller cross-locked aka pinch to open ones are pretty clutch: https://a.co/d/0d7cNuc

Definitely worth buying some spare bowls as well, plus this loading tool also works as a great holding spot for spare bowls (https://delta3dstudios.com/firewood-v8-capsule-loading-tray)

Cleaning components in iso has been insanely easy and makes maintenance a major selling point of the FW9 compared to standards like S&B portables (in addition to better battery, beauty, flavor, and vapor cooling)

Lastly, per Marc’s instructions, I bought 120 and 180 grit sandpaper blocks (https://a.co/d/8IcAHwn) and wax (ZBD GOODS Z's Tung Oil, Beeswax, & Carnauba Wax https://a.co/d/0IA2S7y) and have done 3 coats on the FW9 so far, each looks better than the last. Plus it’s a very meditative process that takes no longer than 20 minutes each time plus 15 minutes of drying if you do it right. Image attached after just 1 coat. The wax makes the wood color warmer and slightly darker each time which is beautiful.

Many thanks to this thread that convinced me to buy. Every single friend who’s tried the FW9 has been blown away and envious. The most frequent thing I’ve heard from friends is “this is not only the best portable vape I’ve ever tried, but it’s also a work of art.”
Great post!!

Glad you're loving the FW9 so much.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Anyone know of any third party stems with beads/bricks that don’t stick out when retracted? Been keeping an eye on GoodVibes Boro but looks like most of the recently posted FW8/9 stems stick out 0.5-1” and I’m worried I’d accidentally chip those since I almost exclusively use my FW9 while out and about.

Octavia,
Reactions: 3STOCK

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Anyone know of any third party stems with beads/bricks that don’t stick out when retracted? Been keeping an eye on GoodVibes Boro but looks like most of the recently posted FW8/9 stems stick out 0.5-1” and I’m worried I’d accidentally chip those since I almost exclusively use my FW9 while out and about.

Just get a custom from him or specifically ask him to make more like that in his next drop, I can ask him for you too if that helps

Duba

Accessory Maker
Well, another solution is to add a leather jacket to protect the device and the protuding mouthpiece.
I use mine all the time and it's a secure way keeping it in my pocket or a bag.

Last edited:

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Just get a custom from him or specifically ask him to make more like that in his next drop, I can ask him for you too if that helps
Does he charge much extra for customs, and do they take very long to make? I totally forgot commissions were a thing 🤦‍♀️

Well, another solution is to add a leather jacket to protect the device and the protuding mouthpiece.
I use mine all the time and it's a secure way keeping it in my pocket or a bag.
Do you make non leather cases (eg canvas or pvc)? Seems like a good secondary option but I can’t stand the feel of leather

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Does he charge much extra for customs, and do they take very long to make?

No extra and you don't pay until it's ready, but it can take a bit of patience until he has the time to make them because of the length of the list and him doing regular drops, which is why I suggest just having him make those for the drop as that would likely be quicker

EarthworldTim

If you're not averse to acrylic and titanium @RogueGuy might be able to make you one. With the intercooler it does a great job and I always have that stem in when I'm on the go with my FW7.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
If you're not averse to acrylic and titanium @RogueGuy might be able to make you one. With the intercooler it does a great job and I always have that stem in when I'm on the go with my FW7.
Ooh those look nice too, may end up snagging a stem from both sources to compare! Never used titanium in a vape before but definitely liked my old school mflb acrylic stems.

Thanks for your help y’all!

619WAZ

Hi all, just picked up a FW9 (a gift actually!!) and feel like a dumbass. When I heat the bowl, that first buzz seems to come in less than 5 seconds. I try and draw and nothing. So, I keep holding and a few seconds later I get vapor. I keep holding and it practically combusts. Help! There are no technique videos I can find.
Also, only one of my USB-C charging cables actually works on this vape.
Help!
Is there a tutorial somewhere?

619WAZ,

3STOCK

Hi all, just picked up a FW9 (a gift actually!!) and feel like a dumbass. When I heat the bowl, that first buzz seems to come in less than 5 seconds. I try and draw and nothing. So, I keep holding and a few seconds later I get vapor. I keep holding and it practically combusts. Help! There are no technique videos I can find.
Help!
Hey man no worries it’s a bit of a learning curve. The first buzz(es) are communicating that the bowl is BEGINNING to heat and what preset it is set to (1/2/3 buzzes) and then the later buzz is saying that the bowl is at the temp you’ve set the preset at.

However, at the beginning of a new bowl the device might need to heat and be held for a few seconds beyond the second buzz to actually see vapor when you exhale.

Importantly, after the device has not been activated after a while of heating to full temp it will do a longer buzz to indicate the device is powering down. This is normal.

The device comes with a manual that you can also find on the firewood website that explains the buzzing system and presets.

TL;DR: The FW9’s button is like a vape pen’s button that turns on the heater, and the second vibration is signaling when it’s ready and at temp. Hold down a little extra long at the beginning of the bowl for immediate clouds and enjoy

moondog

Help!
As 3Stock said, the manual explains the buzzes by which the FW9 communicates its status to you.

That very first buzz (or buzzes, depending on which preset temp you're at) is the FW9 acknowledging your button push and telling you what preset level you are at.

Keep holding that button and about 5-7 seconds later , the FW9 will buzz once to tell you the bowl is at temp.

Release the button when you're done with your draw and after 7 seconds the heater will shut off and the FW9 will give you once buzz to let you know that has happened.

You can change the temp level presets, but it takes a bit of concentration to understand the way the FW9 communicates with you throughout the process. The manual does a good job of explaining it but feel free to ask any questions if you hit a snag.

Here's my drawing technique:

My temp settings are:

Level 1 = 370
Level 2 = 380
Level 3 = 390

• I take my first hit at Level 1 just to get some nice flavor/terps and warm things up. Once I get my buzz signifying that I'm at temp, I inhale while heating for 10 seconds, release the button, and then keep inhaling for a count of 20.
  • I then take 2 hits on Level 2. Once I get my buzz signifying that I'm at temp, I inhale for 8-9 seconds, release the button, and then keep inhaling for a count of 20. The first hit yields a nice cloud and the second is even thicker.
  • Finally, 2 or 3 hits on Level 3 that are massive. Once I get my buzz signifying that I'm at temp, I inhale for 6-7 seconds, release the button, and then keep inhaling for a count of 20.
Enjoy!!

rogrog

I borrowed a friend's firewood 4 and it has a flavor that seems to come from the wood or wood treatment (linseed oil, beeswax?). I've also come across some reviews that mention the woody flavor. is this anything to be concerned about, from presumably off gassing of the wood, treatment, or wood glue? I enjoy the vaporizer and might be interested in ordering a newer condition.

rogrog,
Top Bottom