Firewood Vaporizer

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Oh that's awesome, so happy for you! Yeah the finish is just the extra oil, you can ask him exactly what he used, if you want to try to use the same thing and make a perfect match with your WPA, might as well wait till you have them in hand to see in person how they are though? I don't think it will be significant honestly... All my FW7 stuff is unfinished though (FW8 will be finished)
Yeah thanks, I was very happy to find one in such great condition. I remember sharing some pms with you about used options and the ovens looked…pretty terrible, tbh. Not at all what I’d call lightly used. This looks like it was someone’s backup and saw maybe a bowl or two, if that!

attackpoints

My FW was unfinished and my WPA finished. I miss the contrast sometimes! I probably have only oiled my FW twice, but it's crazy how over time it's darkened to almost be the same shade as the WPA.

This is it last year-

Here it is now-

guess the back still looks pretty light...oily fingers? :lol: just saying, time and use will also darken it up!

gotbadvas

This vape kicks a serious amount of ass! My favourite part about the 7 was doing the twax method and I can safely say it works just as well if not better in the 8. I load up 4 twax caps before I leave for work and I’m set for the whole day, it’s fantastic. I’ve already said this but this vape needs more love.
I have to say I think the FW8 looks really good. I was able to get a FW7 pretty early on. Mine came with the skinny glass stem. It is probably overall my favorite vape. I mainly use it as an at home portable desktop. I just don't want to risk anything happening to it outside. If anything were to happen to the FW7 and it could not be repaired I wouldn't hesitate to get the 8.

It feels more stoney to me more like a battery powered torch vape. I admit I like high temps and dark duff and don't flavor chase though I have had my FW7 on the second factory preset pretty much since I got it. I could combust a bowl if I wanted but would have to really try.

I think the oven being removable is a nice feature and don't think the FW7 is really better or worse in the oven aspect. I would like to be able to take my oven out and clean it. I never combusted but the lower 1/3 of my oven is black from hash and moonrocks / caviar. It's not a big deal but being able to clean it would be nice.

I just loaded mine with a thin layer of GG #4 and dropped a decent little piece of Sour Garlic Cookies sugar on top. I like how each hit has more punch so I don't have to take as many and I don't feel like I am wasting anything with the power it has.

I really need to clean this poor thing that's one of the things I don't like about it. Kind of hard to complain about it when it goes so long between cleanings though but I have some globs of reclaim forming in my glass charlie stem.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
It feels more stoney to me more like a battery powered torch vape. I admit I like high temps and dark duff and don't flavor chase though I have had my FW7 on the second factory preset pretty much since I got it. I could combust a bowl if I wanted but would have to really try.

I think the oven being removable is a nice feature and don't think the FW7 is really better or worse in the oven aspect. I would like to be able to take my oven out and clean it. I never combusted but the lower 1/3 of my oven is black from hash and moonrocks / caviar. It's not a big deal but being able to clean it would be nice.
It definitely has a heavy conduction signature and gets one where they need to get very well! Both the 7 and the 8. And I would agree that the oven is neither better or worse, although I’m starting to think the 8 has a bit more power.

I got to thinking when I get home, how this would be a beast if I could get a wpa for it. So I did some digging around and found my OG light wood Nonavong (sans any tip or cap and I then used the little stem adapter glass+silicone bit that Marc included with the 8 and made a little half half connection to fit the Nona.

Safe to say it rips fat, I’ve been clearing fully packed caps with one rip at 420°f

gotbadvas

Glad to hear it's equal or better in power. Hell I have nearly one hit killed a bowl in my FW7 with the glass charlie stem I put on. I didn't think I was getting a hit because I wasn't used to the extra cooling. Then I blew the hit out and had to sit down.

pudgewack

What is the best way to use concentrates with the Firewood 7 and/or 8? I only use them with flower.

The FW7 is one of my favorite vapes and is what use for my "adventure" vape. I also have a FW8, but haven't liked it as much mainly due to the capsules. Although I do like the cleanability of the capsules, they turn out to be a pain as my normal usage doesn't benefit from multiple caps. But it would be nice to take a couple caps on my bike rides; one with a concentrate and second with just flower.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
What is the best way to use concentrates with the Firewood 7 and/or 8? I only use them with flower.

The FW7 is one of my favorite vapes and is what use for my "adventure" vape. I also have a FW8, but haven't liked it as much mainly due to the capsules. Although I do like the cleanability of the capsules, they turn out to be a pain as my normal usage doesn't benefit from multiple caps. But it would be nice to take a couple caps on my bike rides; one with a concentrate and second with just flower.
Best way to do it is to put the dab or whatever in the top 2/3rds of the bowl with a little skiff of weed on top too. That was definitely my favourite way to use the 7. Same with the 8 now too and I’ve found the capsules to be great in that regard, I can just load up 4 fat dab sammich caps and I’ll be set for like 12 hours.

gotbadvas

I put my dab on top but I always hit it to melt it in before I try tilting the FW7. Seems to work just as good if you top it off with some herb though. I don't really like loading the FW7 but I am just dumping from my grinder and kind of helping guide it with a bamboo stick so I am pretty much an idiot. I really need to get a scoop and tamper setup I know it will be 90% better loading experience.

I have tried the metal gauze type pad from the Fury 2 once and found it to be a waste of concentrate. I was using rayon in my TA one day and ran out of butane before I could heat it so i took and put the rayon + dab into the FW7. It works good if you want to hit only concentrate but I need to test more. I don't like how fibers can get snagged on screens that's one thing I don't like about them.

gotbadvas,
Reactions: Grass Yes

PossumMD

I have used hash in mine (had a bowl with hash in like 45mijs ago), I find the flavour gets pretty fucking bad by the end of the bowl. Co you do have to push it a bit to get all of the goodness of the hash out. The bud is pretty much black and will crumble into dust if you so much as look at it, let alone touch it.

And I dunno how I feel about the 8. I love the quicker heat up time, I love the better flavour, I love that it hits hard as fuck, but I hate the capsule system with a firey passion. Partly cos I hate that I have to wait for it all to cool to empty it, partly cos dropping the capsule in the oven is so haphazard, and partly cos it's a bunch of small parts that just kinda blend in with my desk. I also do love that it handles small and large loads equally, I just get a reduction in number of hits. I think if my TM2 was working properly, I would sell this on...

gotbadvas

I wanted to get the wpa for my FW7 but it's pretty pricey for a piece of wood tbh. I might do something like @Arawfish did with this O'Connell walnut hybrid stem / wpa that's for a dynavap. I just need to get a piece of tubing that I can cut to the right length and I will have it so it won't retract all the way so when extended I can use it as a 14mm wpa. I think @RogueGuy has the Ti tubing maybe I will just get him to make me a stem. I guess the problem with my plan is it will push the stem back in when I go to mate it up to the water piece.

gotbadvas,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I wanted to get the wpa for my FW7 but it's pretty pricey for a piece of wood tbh. I might do something like @Arawfish did with this O'Connell walnut hybrid stem / wpa that's for a dynavap. I just need to get a piece of tubing that I can cut to the right length and I will have it so it won't retract all the way so when extended I can use it as a 14mm wpa. I think @RogueGuy has the Ti tubing maybe I will just get him to make me a stem. I guess the problem with my plan is it will push the stem back in when I go to mate it up to the water piece.
You can use the DV BB9 stem, if you cover the airport. Lots of other DV WPA stems work too.

However I can't recommend the FW7 WPA enough. It is probably one of my favorite features of this vape. That straight shit to the oven is something special. The fact that we can't do that on the 8 was another reason I passed on it. Totally agree that the WPA seems expensive, and you still need another adapter to use it. But IMO, it is well worth it.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I have used hash in mine (had a bowl with hash in like 45mijs ago), I find the flavour gets pretty fucking bad by the end of the bowl. Co you do have to push it a bit to get all of the goodness of the hash out. The bud is pretty much black and will crumble into dust if you so much as look at it, let alone touch it.

And I dunno how I feel about the 8. I love the quicker heat up time, I love the better flavour, I love that it hits hard as fuck, but I hate the capsule system with a firey passion. Partly cos I hate that I have to wait for it all to cool to empty it, partly cos dropping the capsule in the oven is so haphazard, and partly cos it's a bunch of small parts that just kinda blend in with my desk. I also do love that it handles small and large loads equally, I just get a reduction in number of hits. I think if my TM2 was working properly, I would sell this on...
You need to order a set of ceramic tweezers, it’ll cost you like 10 bucks. It’s made the capsule system such a breeze.
I definitely don’t wait for it to cool down to take them out either. I’ve got a little wooden tray that I just dump it into right after I’m done, and then load up a fresh one and back in action in less than 10 seconds.

gordontreeman

Oh, look what just arrived 😄

For being used, it is in astonishingly good condition and more or less looks like new!

Very excited to take it for a spin. Unfortunately I just had surgery, and sometimes consuming cannabis makes me hyper aware of any discomfort in my body in a bad way so I might have to hold off for a few days before trying it. I’m shocked at how small it is, though. I can see why it’s so many peoples out-and-about/dog walking vape. I wasn’t expecting an enormous vape, but I guess something larger than this!

Between this, my tp80, toad, and woodscents (and some dynas) I have amassed a nice little collection 😅

Hi pal ,yeah can be frustrating but try these small changes you mind feel better ,
once iam finished a bowl,quick tap and tip the cap out into an old insulin test strip holder ,or any wee tub or my rolling tray ,any hard surface can handle them in a minute,
try putting the cap in with the vape upside down not drop in but placing in ,a wee wiggle and so much easier,iam the same fucked hands so this works really good just put you thumb where the herb is , i thought id have bother with all these too but its been so good ,
only thing was my damaged oven lid id to buy an other and 5 weeks to get to Scotland,
i kinda load it same way i load the mighys cap s
but no waiting on it cooling ,open straight away and tap either back of vape or if it doesnt move on edge of tub or surface you’ve chosen ,gently though ,very it doesnt need much ,
someone many pages back suggested the loading upside down which which thought at the time thats the way ive loaded my mightys for years m
just got a replacement tm2 on Thursday after firsts wood problem and notworking right either ,
but think i like this as much as tm1 and the 2 ,,, wouldnt part with any all in my top 5 right now ,
anyway hope helps abit
G

Vaporware

@gordontreeman Everything really is coming up Milhouse! :rofl:

I haven’t actually used my FW7 since I got the Toad…I do prefer stem loading and usually prefer pure convection heating, but the FW7 is easily my favorite regulated portable and well worth having if you’re going to have a few vaporizers. Glad you got one in good shape.

I guess with the low availability of the Nomad/Toad and still relatively small number of FW7s out there compared to anything mass produced, anyone would be lucky to have either one let alone both!

The only reasons I haven’t bought a FW8 (setting aside my aesthetic issues which I could get over) are money to some degree and honestly I just don’t really need it when I’m already at least doubly covered with top of the line portables and desktops. :shrug:

Despite my small issues with the FW8 though, if anyone’s on the fence, as long as the 8 sounds like something you’d like I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. The 7 has been one of the best portables for the last couple of years and by most accounts the 8 performs as well or better with some interesting features you may not see again any time soon! :2c:

gordontreeman

@gordontreeman Everything really is coming up Milhouse! :rofl:
My feet are soaked, but my cuffs are bone dry!

I haven’t actually used my FW7 since I got the Toad…I do prefer stem loading and usually prefer pure convection heating, but the FW7 is easily my favorite regulated portable and well worth having if you’re going to have a few vaporizers. Glad you got one in good shape.

I guess with the low availability of the Nomad/Toad and still relatively small number of FW7s out there compared to anything mass produced, anyone would be lucky to have either one let alone both!

The only reasons I haven’t bought a FW8 (setting aside my aesthetic issues which I could get over) are money to some degree and honestly I just don’t really need it when I’m already at least doubly covered with top of the line portables and desktops. :shrug:

Despite my small issues with the FW8 though, if anyone’s on the fence, as long as the 8 sounds like something you’d like I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. The 7 has been one of the best portables for the last couple of years and by most accounts the 8 performs as well or better with some interesting features you may not see again any time soon! :2c:
I figure the FW7 will be a fun companion vape with the added conduction. Aside from the Dynas--which I don't use very often--all of my vapes are full convection, which is a little more my speed. But variety is the spice of life and all. I had wanted a 7 for quite a while, too--it was the very first vape someone recommended to me when I was looking to get my first many moons ago.

I think the 8 looks fine from an aesthetic standpoint, I am just not convinced that the capsules would be anything but a niggle for me. More power to those who enjoy them though, Marc certainly makes a beautiful little vape. Some part of me is tempted to snag one just in case, I'm just not convinced it would be a device that would pass the reach test for me given the quirks of its usage.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Do you all think it’s safe to call the 8 a flop compared to the success of the 7?

I know it’s only been about 6 months since the 8 first got into peoples hands but with the whole mail in cheque thing while also only being available to Americans (at first) definitely hindering the 8s potential, do you think that might expedite the release of the 9? Either way I’m curious to hear what others think might happen with the 9, or what they might want to see happen.

PS. Here’s some freshly squeezed Firewood juice:

Vaporware

I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing the FW8 is only a “flop” next to the 7 which was by far the most popular Firewood so far.

There are a couple of things I don’t love about the 8, and I already have a 7 and a couple of the other best portables available, so since I also don’t have a lot of money to throw around I haven’t bought one yet (although I may give in and buy one at some point)…

It’s possible the 8 is selling better than we think, but it’s hard to make significant changes like a new battery system, capsules, etc. and get the same amount of love from the same people so I suspect it’s selling slower.

With mostly positive reviews and a lot of good features though, I think it could still sell a lot more units and even be better than the 7 for some people.

There is another portable that fits me even better, but it’s hard to get. If I had to order any portable dry herb vaporizer I could get today, it would probably be the FW8 and I’d be choosing from a short list. I just don’t need anything right now. Maybe my VAS is in remission?:shrug:

Whether or not it reaches the same sales numbers as the 7 though, I would not consider it a flop. :)

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing the FW8 is only a “flop” next to the 7 which was by far the most popular Firewood so far.

There are a couple of things I don’t love about the 8, and I already have a 7 and a couple of the other best portables available, so since I also don’t have a lot of money to throw around I haven’t bought one yet (although I may give in and buy one at some point)…

It’s possible the 8 is selling better than we think, but it’s hard to make significant changes like a new battery system, capsules, etc. and get the same amount of love from the same people so I suspect it’s selling slower.

With mostly positive reviews and a lot of good features though, I think it could still sell a lot more units and even be better than the 7 for some people.

There is another portable that fits me even better, but it’s hard to get. If I had to order any portable dry herb vaporizer I could get today, it would probably be the FW8 and I’d be choosing from a short list. I just don’t need anything right now. Maybe my VAS is in remission?:shrug:

Whether or not it reaches the same sales numbers as the 7 though, I would not consider it a flop. :)
Yeah, I only meant “flop” when directly compared to the 7. The device itself is far from being a flop, that’s for sure.

I think you’re right that it might be selling better than it seems, since most people aren’t posting here or on Reddit, but simply just based on how quiet this thread has been, how the weekly drops no longer need to happen, and how minimal posts there have been on Reddit (seriously there’s like 10 total posts in 6 months, 1 of which is mine) I don’t think the numbers are anywhere near close, not that it really matters of course. I know I’m enjoying it and I know many others are too so that’s the part that counts.

It’s a nice feeling when vas feels like it’s in remission haha, I thought I had things under control too, until I caved and got the 8.

Kinda silly buying so many vapes but we’re collectors right? Collecting is what we do.

gordontreeman

I think @Vaporware probably nailed it. Not having tried the 8 I’m maybe talking out of my ass, but it’s hard to imagine it’s a flop in the sense that it seems to still produce great vapor and it looks fantastic. However, the 7 was a runaway success once word got out. I remember first eyeing it in like March of 2020 when I was first looking to buy my one and only vape (😂😂😂). At the time it was new and not terribly well known outside of fc. I passed because I thought if I was only going to have one, a vape that could be a desktop or a portable would fit my needs better, but shortly after it just exploded and Marc never kept them in stock.

Next to that I think it’s fair to say the 8 hasn’t been as successful. I think most people perceive that the capsules are more of a pain than they’re worth. I know some people adapt with tweezers and special loading trays, but I can’t help but think I’d rather just not need any of that. As I’ve said before I get his motivation with the battery, but the price is a huuuuuuge turn off for the average consumer, and I think the fact that there were still safety issues with the early batches really turned a lot of folks off (broke trust in a “what’s the point if you can’t do any better” sense and/or just made people think it was just a cash grab). I can see where these notions come from even if I don’t really agree (at all with the last bit). The total package just ends up feeling like a step back from what the 7 achieved, especially with products like the tm2 widely available.

I still wouldn’t class it as a flop personally in the grand scheme of things. It’s just most naturally compared to a vape that people really, really loved.

PossumMD

You need to order a set of ceramic tweezers, it’ll cost you like 10 bucks. It’s made the capsule system such a breeze.
I definitely don’t wait for it to cool down to take them out either. I’ve got a little wooden tray that I just dump it into right after I’m done, and then load up a fresh one and back in action in less than 10 seconds.
I have multiple pairs of ceramic tweezers and it doesn't make my experience any better. I have to wait for it to cool to unload into my abv jar anyway...

PossumMD,
Top Bottom