Firefox 4 Beta 7

Rick

Zapman
Anybody trying Firefox 4 Beta 7? http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta/
Would getting the beta version be any different as far as bugs or smooth running? I am relatively ignorant about all this stuff but I love Firefox and Firefox 4 sounds like a new world that I would like to try. Just looking for other opinions about doing the Beta rather than wait for the final version. I still have good old windows XP.
Thanks for any help

Rick,

Mckdenton

i like your taste in web browser, i cant stand anything but firefox, but any beta version of any program or app offered will usually have more bugs and not be as smooth running as the final release of that version. the reason for a beta release is to find the bugs and fix them for the final version :peace:

Mckdenton,

lwien

I was a Firefox user for years. Then I tried Chrome. For me, I like Chrome better. More stable, faster and it has some really nice unique features.

But yeah, beta's are kind of iffy. Sometimes they're ok, sometimes not. Many would say that if you're looking for stability, one should just use the final versions.

But I've always liked to try to be on the cutting edge of things so I was always willing to take the gamble.

lwien,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
It's always a good idea to have two browsers installed if possible. I use Firefox as my main browser, but also have google chrome installed and use it as a backup.

As long as it isn't internet explorer than you're off to a good start, but like Mckdenton said, a beta release will be more likely to crash and have bugs so if stability is what you are looking for then I would just download the latest non-beta version.

aesthyrian,

OC513

Dabaholic
Forefox 4 was supposed to be released but has been pushed back to due bugs. You can try it out and if it is buggy just go back to the older version. I am a die hard Firefox user for home and play. I usually upgrade to betas as soon as they are released but all the articles I read said it is just too buggy at this point so I have not done so yet.

OC513,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
if u want to try a better browser try opera , its the fastest http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/2010/07/05/the-worlds-fastest-stable-browser altho if u like all the add-ons that fire fox is famous for , i dunno if those will werk with opera or if opera has similar alternative?

I've used Opera from the ancient times when you had to pay for it (I did) and Firefox was just somebody's idea. I still prefer it to all others. It is easier to customize than any of the others, and yes it does have an add-on capability (widgets). You probably weren't aware of that because quite a few of the FF add-ons aren't needed in Opera since the functionality is already built in. Also, many new FF features appear in Opera first.

I almost never use Internet Explorer (some Microsoft crap won't work in any other browser) and while I have Chrome I really can't bring myself to like it. For one thing, I like to customize my browser and Chrome is the least flexible of all, even more rigid than IE. I have my own Opera theme and several of my menus are customized. A few minutes to do this in Opera, a few hours in FF and you can't do everything I can do in Opera, a few days for IE and you can do even less, and don't even think about it with Chrome.

Let the religious wars begin!

pakalolo,

Rick

Zapman
Thanks everybody for your comments. I am going to hang loose for awhile as I am very happy with my current edition of Firefox. Being on satellite internet, I probably would not notice the speed increase as much as possible anyway. The magic box is fast enough for this old fart for what I do with it.
It sure has been trouble free which I love.

Rick,

OC513

Dabaholic
I updated to the Firefox 4 beta last night and so far I am loving it.....it is noticeably faster and has all sorts of customization available. So far no crashes.....looking good.

OC513,
Top Bottom