Firefly 1, 2, 2+

Dr. G

Old Resident
Same here Dr. ...thanks for posting this... I'll be warming up my OG Red for a session tonight (thanks as always to @Jill NYC ❤), in remenberace of the great vape Firefly was and the innovations we had hoped to see ...

firefly.jpg
Perfect post...and the Red OG was a beauty...I finally got one after really looking hard...if only they would give it one last make over it would be revolutionary again...the design is just so very beautiful...it needs a gold bowl, a stir stick, better airflow, how hard is that? Anyway, I gave up long ago. Its like Vessel...they have the most beautiful vapes but, not one for herb...I keep begging them for one. To NO AVAIL. Oh well...

Modicum

Hey Doc , get yourself a magnetic shirt collar stay. It's flat , unobtrusive & sticks to Fireflys of all race , colors and creeds .

maremaresing

Just put my red firefly on to charge. It definitely is one of the prettiest vapes I've ever seen, and a total shame they haven't created an 18650 version that takes pods and an updated heater.

It's disappointing and messy to use, and that battery life is the pits. No wonder they gave it a docking station in the later versions (which aren't nearly as attractively designed). Plus the proprietary battery is so expensive and... proprietary.

maremaresing,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I was busy posting here on this thread in the past...lots has changed since then. My opinions have changed because now fortunately I have most of the vapes on the market and can have an honest opinion for myself. The Firefly when it first came out was very innovative and attractive when it first came out. I just do not enjoy the difficultly of the air flow and lack of stir stick which of any vapes around this one would have to require one. They never improved it. For years...the same model. Sad. Then, I discovered the Airvape Legacy Pro and other vapes that have equal or surpassed in flavor. I did finally get a silver and red OG models...still looking for a black one just to complete my collection of the Firefly...which I loved at one time.
Well, they did improve it once for the FF2 (and incrementally for the Plus) but it’s been seven years without a reboot which is too long in this industry. I think having their main design visionary leave the company to focus on other technologies did not help them.

There’s still a chance they could overhaul it into a more effective, easier to use convection vape, but it doesn’t appear they are headed that way, alas.

Modicum

Mitch , you are The Godfather of the Firefly , I learned so much from you starting with the OG all the way to the 2+. Sadly with the slow reducing of it's price it's likely going the way of the Grasshopper. Hey if it lasts until Christmas it might get to $149. or less depending on inventory . I think I'd buy another one . The whole pipe thing makes one feel a little bougie.

simba

@weedanwine
Always wanted to try one of these, and recently one came into my hands. A friend wanted to trade it out for the Argo, so I said I'd list it for them in the classifieds.

Of course I had to spend some time to make sure everything was working fine.

I'd always been curious about the Firefly but the price and some design features had put me off, mainly the mouthpiece design.

My first hits on this thing came easily. Got some nice hits and the honeymoon feeling of a new vape 😂 so you get bit more effect from the same amount of herb.

I like the vapour quality you get from this vape but I don't think I could keep it in my collection. It's difficult to keep clean, it feels like you could never clean the mouthpiece part properly and the battery doesn't seem great. I also find the position you hold the vape in becomes awkward and a bit tiresome after a couple of bowls.

Certainly an interesting vape and I'm glad I've got to try it out and spend a little time with it, ultimately not one that could fit into my collection.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Nice Simba, that lines up, I do miss my OG as I've said, I hardly ever use the FF2+ I have now, but for the 100 or 125 I spent on it brand new from someone on Reddit it it was worthwhile enough for fun nostalgia and a few great hits lol until battery fully dies

Vinter

Brough my FW9 to the employee appreciation party the company I take cannabis photos for put on last night. A few people were definitely impressed with the flavor, and the OG guy who writes up all the descriptions said it's tastier than his Volcano and needs one now... ha!

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Mitch , you are The Godfather of the Firefly , I learned so much from you starting with the OG all the way to the 2+. Sadly with the slow reducing of it's price it's likely going the way of the Grasshopper. Hey if it lasts until Christmas it might get to $149. or less depending on inventory . I think I'd buy another one . The whole pipe thing makes one feel a little bougie.
Thanks! You are too kind. I spent a lot of time with those vapes in their early days, and had a few that failed so I got pretty good at working them. I do think they had the most transparent flavor of any portable I’ve used, particularly the first version, but I’m also too lazy in my old age now to wanna work at coaxing vapor out of one of them.

2014-2016 was a fun time though. Seems like a whole different world ago! :lol:

miklskon

Just putting one foot in front of the other.
I've been reading all through this forum with great interest. I'm a huge fan of the FF2. Since I grow and cure my own, I really appreciate how this unit brings out the full flavor and all the subtleties of my dry herb. No doubt this unit has air flow issues, and being a bit of a tinkerer all my life, I couldn't help but tear this thing apart and experiment with different modifications. I'm pretty pleased with my most recent mods whereby I've opened up the air flow of the original unit, and then restricted it back just a bit with a homemade plate I've cut out and punctured and inserted on top of the existing plate. Now I'm getting very consistent clouds and full-blown flavor as well. I'm actually looking for another Firefly 2, if anyone has one for sale.

Dr. G

Old Resident
I've been reading all through this forum with great interest. I'm a huge fan of the FF2. Since I grow and cure my own, I really appreciate how this unit brings out the full flavor and all the subtleties of my dry herb. No doubt this unit has air flow issues, and being a bit of a tinkerer all my life, I couldn't help but tear this thing apart and experiment with different modifications. I'm pretty pleased with my most recent mods whereby I've opened up the air flow of the original unit, and then restricted it back just a bit with a homemade plate I've cut out and punctured and inserted on top of the existing plate. Now I'm getting very consistent clouds and full-blown flavor as well. I'm actually looking for another Firefly 2, if anyone has one for sale.
I love the Firefly always have...it was my first vape ever...but, since then...I own the Airvape Legacy PRO...which is for me better flavor and really great air flow...you might want to try it and not have to do all that work. It is a shame that Firefly just stopped improving their units...I don't think they will be around much longer.

miklskon

Just putting one foot in front of the other.
Well, I've already pretty much spent my lifetime budget on the Vapes I presently possess. Each one has its own pros and cons, but each one, when properly appreciated in their own right, delivers a decent product. But I'm a tinkerer, and I love tinkering almost as much as I enjoy growing and enjoying what I've grown! But I'll definitely check out your recommendation for my next lifetime when I get a new vape budget! ✌🏽🤠👌🏽

2013: The Firefly Vaporizer from the old FC

View attachment 548

2016: Firefly2 from the old FC

View attachment 544

2019: Firefly2+ from the old FC

View attachment 545

The Firefly2+ is basically the same as the FF2, but it comes with an updated firmware package/app update to help heating and battery efficiency. But the biggest change was in the oven screen, which now has slightly more airflow than the FF2 screen.

Firefly reduced the price a bit for the FF2+ model which is great, but it comes at the loss of a spare battery, a second concentrate pad, and the brush and pic.

You can send in your FF2 to have it updated with the new screen and firmware update, or you can update the software/app yourself if you do not want to spend the $30 or so to send it back to Firefly for the full update with newer screen. (most can notice a difference in the draw pressure, but some can not).

For best use, this vape requires a slower loner draw than most other vapes. The heater will stay on for 26 seconds at a time, you may or may not need that entire draw time to get results depending on your heat settings and what you are using in the vape. A general place to start on temps is 360F for flower and 470F for concentrate pad use. When using with flower you will have better results stirring and not using a fine grind normally. Using whole buds can also help with reducing the buildup of reclaim. The vape shines when using concentrates with the pad. In fact many still use their FF2's only for this reason. Pressing flower and then using with the FF2's works very well. You can reuse the pads a few times before you will need to clean them. Soaking in ISO is recommended, you may need to let soak for longer periods to let everything breakdown and release from the pad. Use a small container and try rinsing and re-soaking a couple times for best results. You can torch the pads...but then tend to not last as long that way.

With convection heating that is on-demand, the FF2(+) are great vapes with cool vapor paths and the ability to do both flower and concentrates on the go.
Regarding your comment:
"You can send in your FF2 to have it updated with the new screen and firmware update, or you can update the software/app yourself if you do not want to spend the $30 or so to send it back to Firefly for the full update with newer screen. (most can notice a difference in the draw pressure, but some can not)."

Well, I've contacted Firefly directly several times here just recently, specially inquiring about a possible upgrade on my Firefly 2, and this is the most recent response I've received:
53Z66vMtHm4TVGFJzR16TIoa2XTTjPa0ZCRloGPGApr1NElV9Enm0dQVSddZ_iH_K0AKIB1V8RiMsEE8JNzQJOYk8DGhPykVnlf__-WWL90JvVYiO1X8VnYgYfSIuLctIBHnawnu3a2x=s0-d-e1-ft
Penny (Firefly)
Aug 8, 2023, 1:35 PM MDT
Hi Miklskon,
Can you send us the link where you found this information? We are not aware of any promotions like this and currently do not handle or repair any older devices.
Please let us know how we can assist. We are happy to help!
Thanks,
Firefly Customer Support"

- - - end of citation

2013: The Firefly Vaporizer from the old FC

View attachment 548

2016: Firefly2 from the old FC

View attachment 544

2019: Firefly2+ from the old FC

View attachment 545

The Firefly2+ is basically the same as the FF2, but it comes with an updated firmware package/app update to help heating and battery efficiency. But the biggest change was in the oven screen, which now has slightly more airflow than the FF2 screen.

Firefly reduced the price a bit for the FF2+ model which is great, but it comes at the loss of a spare battery, a second concentrate pad, and the brush and pic.

You can send in your FF2 to have it updated with the new screen and firmware update, or you can update the software/app yourself if you do not want to spend the $30 or so to send it back to Firefly for the full update with newer screen. (most can notice a difference in the draw pressure, but some can not).

For best use, this vape requires a slower loner draw than most other vapes. The heater will stay on for 26 seconds at a time, you may or may not need that entire draw time to get results depending on your heat settings and what you are using in the vape. A general place to start on temps is 360F for flower and 470F for concentrate pad use. When using with flower you will have better results stirring and not using a fine grind normally. Using whole buds can also help with reducing the buildup of reclaim. The vape shines when using concentrates with the pad. In fact many still use their FF2's only for this reason. Pressing flower and then using with the FF2's works very well. You can reuse the pads a few times before you will need to clean them. Soaking in ISO is recommended, you may need to let soak for longer periods to let everything breakdown and release from the pad. Use a small container and try rinsing and re-soaking a couple times for best results. You can torch the pads...but then tend to not last as long that way.

With convection heating that is on-demand, the FF2(+) are great vapes with cool vapor paths and the ability to do both flower and concentrates on the go.
Also, this was an earlier reply from Firefly to an earlier inquiry regarding upgrade possibilities for my FF2:

Penny (Firefly) Jun 8, 2023, 12:29 PM MDT
Hi Miklskon,
Thank you for reaching out to us about your Firefly device. Based on the model number you provided (FF_EFO433A9), it does appear that you have an older version of our Firefly vaporizer.
In response to your query about upgrades,
I would like to clarify that the improvements we've made, such as enhanced airflow for a smoother draw, quicker heat-up time, and longer battery life, are incorporated into our newer model, the Firefly 2+.
Unfortunately, these are not upgrades that can be added to older models. The newer models are complete units that have been redesigned with these enhancements in mind.
If you're interested in these improvements, the best course of action would be to consider purchasing a newer model.

- - - end of citation

Am I sleeping hard on this one? I always wanted to try this vape as people used to rave about the flavor, but it seems like I remember tons of people saying this was their most regretted vape purchase.

I’m a big believer in the science behind “uptemps” aka dynamic vaporization as Firefly calls it. Enough that I had MaxVapor add uptemp functionality to their e-nail controller via a firmware update. The idea of vaporizing compounds linearly in order of their boiling point always made a lot of sense to me with my concentrate devices that operate on the same principals. You really need that temperature ramp to extract the full spectrum or you end up fractionationally distilling or degrading compounds.
Great post! I've wondered about this very thing, "ramping up vaping temperatures linearly. "
I'm an avid homebrewer as well, and when we process our mash of crushed malted barley grains, we take exactly the same approach, ramping up the temperature through the different stages so as to extract all available flavors and sugars from the starches.
So it naturally occurred to me that the same principle would apply to vaping properly dried and cured herbs.
My Firefly 2 seems to do an excellent job of just this! You definitely have to be patient with it, and learn what temperature settings and vacuum draw best works for you. But once you find that magic technique, it's hard to beat with any other vape I've personally worked with.

kcmochris

Got some blueberry muffin concentrate. Brought the FF2+ out of the wood works -- man, this device is still the best for flavor. Need to get a new battery as it will usually die after one load. But still, charges up on the unit charger in decent time. Bummer the iOS doesn't work anymore. Thankfully the desktop computer website works: https://fireflyvaporwebapp.com/devices

simba

@weedanwine
Got some blueberry muffin concentrate. Brought the FF2+ out of the wood works -- man, this device is still the best for flavor. Need to get a new battery as it will usually die after one load. But still, charges up on the unit charger in decent time. Bummer the iOS doesn't work anymore. Thankfully the desktop computer website works: https://fireflyvaporwebapp.com/devices

I managed to find an old Android 8 device that still runs the app

Modicum

I found out that once you take your time & learn the intricacies of any FF, you learn to enjoy it. It's frustrating yes but with wonderful rewards especially for flavor seekers. I loved doing it Sticks way of a whole bud roast then breaking it up and off you go again.
I've never had a FF whose mouthpiece stayed in place, they have sent me 2 sets and you guessed it ,they fell off . " EVERYTHING MUST GO" may be imminent but I know that I would grab another one at a great Christmas price.

Silveradio

I also love vaping whole nugs too, then flipping and breaking it up…feels like i get everything out of bud that way…I’ve had the FF2 since 2016…one of the first batch of orders…Finally gave her to a good friend who absolutely loves it…I now have two FF2+’s one gold I use for flower and one blue I use for concentrates…the blue one I just recently got brand new for $130.00 on sale included tax and shipping…I just couldn’t resist that deal…I’m a casual puffer so I love the flavor draws off of these Firefly’s and with upcoming outdoor harvest going on and a NugSmasher iq for making rosin my fall and winter is gonna be fire

ondemander

I wonder if they improved the airflow or heater strength recently or if it's still the same. I don't miss the restricted draw or mess to stir every other hit. The flavor was always one of.the best though. How good is flavor if you have to carefully concentrate on your inhale speed and take looong hits that leave you out of breath?

Silveradio

I’m a 72 year old fart and the finickiness of the Firefly doesn’t really bother me…it probably would be a different story if I vaped a lot more on the FF2+..I do think there is better airflow on the Firefly now…don’t really listen for that whistle anymore 😝 and as far as concentrates go the FF is the only vaporizer that can heat up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit with a fine tune adjustment to boot

budski

cantre member
ok, 1st thought's after a few bowls; I was hoping the gold ALP caps would fit but just slightly too big, however, I found I can dump the cap into the bowl and use the ALP cap lid as an herb screen to keep the vapor path clean (wiping it every bowl sucks) this also seems to restrict air flow in a positive way keeping more heat in the bowl, giving a powerful hit once it's warmed up. The ALP dose cap tool works perfect to load the firefly bowl neatly, don't pack it to hard.
FF2+ feels a bit cheaply made in the hand, I would have been very disappointed if I had paid full price. I'll give it a full shakedown and see if it stays in rotation.

Top Bottom