Festivals

well depending on what festival it will determine who is playing. For example both rock and hip hop are played at Camp Bisco and Bonnaroo. . . But i've never been to either of those =(

biojuggernaut,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
I attend whenever possible. Last one I went to was Electric Daisy Carnival in Orlando. I love to walk around and just soak in the whole experience. The music, the people, the food, the decorations, it all comes together to create an amazing energy.

CombustionJunction,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
This might be the other side of the world for some of you :) but its kickass .. http://artmospheric.org/en/about
For example Last year there were glowing in the dark cuts of various cells.. and painting of human internals.. and girls dancing on fire... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestinarstvo :D.. So many tradition and modern art on one place.. +DJ's are top of the line atmospheric, trance .ambient.. IDM ..

Abysmal Vapor,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
CombustionJunction said:
I attend whenever possible. Last one I went to was Electric Daisy Carnival in Orlando. I love to walk around and just soak in the whole experience. The music, the people, the food, the decorations, it all comes together to create an amazing energy.

I am a huge trance/house head and I wanted to go to EDC badly but couldn't attend. Ultra 2010 was pretty nuts and I hear they are doing some kind of electro-cruise at sea late summer/early fall.

tranceporter,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I'm off to Mayhem Festival next month... Godsmack, Megadeath, Disturbed - Woot, looking forward. I usually hit a few of the festival type concerts each year and if any of my favs do shows nearby I try to hit those as well.

Lo,

Kelblow

Been to Sonic Rock Solstice in beautiful Wales this summer.Was a good fest,though last year was better.Some good bands like Pre Med,Eclectic devils,Gunslinger,Omnia Opera,Krankschaft,ICU and the like.Do enjoy a good fest though I did have to combust whilst there....Yuk!!!.

Kelblow,

Tuck

I went to the Hangout Festival in May. It was awesome. I may go to Bear Creek and/or DeLuna in the fall.

Tuck,

lepstadder

sounds like jam-cruise , which got raided as soon as everyone boarded the boat last year

lepstadder,

queenb

I LOVE MUSIC & all types of music! Depends what mood I'm in. I like Variety...Went to Electric Daisy Carnival in Vegas, Coachella & also did The Big Four 4 = Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, & Anthrax...would like to try the Jazz Festival next in New Orleans.

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Seems to me most festivals have become a joke. Completely corporate sponsored events, with bands and acts that don't fit the bill at all, but will sell tickets to a crowd that typically doesn't attend said festival. Bonaroo anybody? And here in Chicago Lollapalooza is such a joke.

It's really a shame. America needs some good festivals like the Europeans have.

aesthyrian,
queenb said:
I LOVE MUSIC & all types of music! Depends what mood I'm in. I like Variety...Went to Electric Daisy Carnival in Vegas, Coachella & also did The Big Four 4 = Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, & Anthrax...would like to try the Jazz Festival next in New Orleans.

I have seen photos from the Electric Daisy Carnival only this venue was in LA. They had a fucking "claw" amusement park ride in the middle of the crowd. . .

like :o

biojuggernaut,

SD_haze

aesthyrian said:
Seems to me most festivals have become a joke. Completely corporate sponsored events, with bands and acts that don't fit the bill at all, but will sell tickets to a crowd that typically doesn't attend said festival. Bonaroo anybody? And here in Chicago Lollapalooza is such a joke.

Can't deny this....kanye west for gods sake?
71014-moneyhappiness-vl-vertical.jpg

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
aesthyrian said:

There's still a few good ones, but to be honest in the UK at least things have gone down that same route. Couldn't agree more that it's a joke.

The world famous Glastonbury festival; this years headline act was BEYONCE!!!

For fucks sakes. It's all about mass appeal now, MTV on stage. And in the past festivals weren't something everyone did- over here at least it was slightly 'alternative' almost until the late 1990s probably. Now it's a standard mass appeal activity, with the TV even talking about their televised 'festival season'.

I've given up on festivals entirely now unless they're specific to my musical niche tastes. The rest have just turned into pop. The last one I went to was Reggae Sundance in Eindhoven in Holland. But since the recession that has been cancelled (2009 was the last). It was easily Europes best reggae festival, great names ; Antony B, Toots, Sizzla, Gregory Issacs (rip), Don Carlos, Steel Pulse, Buju Banton to name a few. But no more. Just goes to show the financial pressures on festivals without the big corporate backing I guess....

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Yeah but to be honest mate, screw Glasto since it started putting wankers like Bono and Chris Martin on as headline acts. I've never been but probably still well when I'm nearer middle-age as that seems to be the majority age there these days, plus the festival atmosphere and stalls etc are still supposed to be very good.

The summer in the UK/Europe really is all about festivals. Most people I know just got back from a new techno/drum'n'bass/dubstep festival called Hideout in Croatia, which seems to be the place to go these days, what with Outlook fest there in September going from strength to strength every year too.

EXIT festival's going on right now in Serbia as well, but unfortunately has been a victim to its own popularity, selling wayy too many tickets this year.

The good thing is that with the over-popularity of the big ones like Glasto, Reading, Exit etc. there has been a multitude of new ones springing up, seemingly more each year. Some guys at my university even managed to put on one this year in the park near the residence halls, with some acts that were niche but at the top of their genre. For example Andy C (who always, always SMASHES it), Seth Troxler, MF DOOM (who I've been wanting to see for years), Alix Perez, Grandmaster Flash and DJ Shadow among many more.
The only downside is all the shitty dubstep that gets rinsed these days, see Skrillex/Nero for instance.

There's even festivals for the golden oldies out there. My mum went to one last week that had Prince, The Eagles, 10CC, The Human League, Morrisey, Iggy & The Stooges etc. I'm sure it was fun for her but watching great old acts like that amongst thousands of middle-class, south-eastern mothers getting pissed on Pimms isn't exactly my idea of a good time!

Top Bottom