Federal Report: Marijuana Effectively Treats Breast and Lung Cancer

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I've been meaning to post this since I first saw it.

Marijuana has medicinal benefits. That’s a fact. But the scope of these benefits, along with cannabis’ alleged “negative side affects” is a contentious and highly debated subject. After clear cut evidence that weed can legitimately treat breast and lung cancer–along with showing zero damage to the lungs–well, the “stoners” win again.
In a recent report, the National Cancer Institute (NCI), part of the Federal government’s National Institutes of Health (NIH), stated that marijuana “inhibited the survival of both estrogen receptor–positive and estrogen receptor–negative breast cancer cell lines.” The same report showed marijuana slows or stops the growth of certain lung cancer cells and suggested that marijuana may provide “risk reduction and treatment of colorectal cancer.”
Referring to the NCI report, Patient Rights attorney Matthew Pappas said, “The Federal government’s continuing attack on people prescribed medical cannabis by their doctors is hypocritical considering the benefits reported by its own National Cancer Institute.” Pappas represents patients in defending their right to reasonably obtain medical marijuana. The patients contend the Federal government and various municipalities are trying to prevent them from obtaining cannabis for medical purposes in direct contravention of state laws. “Cities that ban dispensaries are denying patients the ability to obtain a medicine the Federal government’s National Institutes of Health says fights cancer and they’re doing it with the Obama Administration’s help.” Recently, the City of Los Angeles repealed its ban of medical marijuana collectives after Bill Rosendahl, a member of its city council diagnosed with cancer and prescribed medical marijuana said to fellow council members about the ban, “You want to kill me? You want to throw me under the bus?”
The NCI report also examined whether patients who smoke marijuana rather than ingesting it orally are exposed to a higher risk of lung and certain digestive system cancers. According to the government, 19 studies “failed to demonstrate statistically significant associations between marijuana inhalation and lung cancer.” The report also identified a separate study of 611 lung cancer patients that showed marijuana was “not associated with an increased risk of lung cancer or other upper aerodigestive tract cancers and found no positive associations with any cancer type.” In the area of prostate cancer, the NCI report was inconclusive and suggested further research was necessary. In its report, the National Cancer Institute also identified a “study of intratumoral injection of delta-9-THC in patients with recurrent glioblastoma” that showed tumor reduction in the test participants. [NBC News]​
The federal government reported this incredible news. Marijuana remains federally illegal. That is not kosher.

Link to NCI report Here

General Information

Cannabis , also known as marijuana, originated in Central Asia but is grown worldwide today. In the United States, it is a controlled substance and is classified as a Schedule I agent (a drug with increased potential for abuse and no known medical use). The Cannabis plant produces a resin containing psychoactive compounds called cannabinoids. The highest concentration of cannabinoids is found in the female flowers of the plant.[1] Clinical trials conducted on medicinal Cannabis are limited. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved the use of Cannabis as a treatment for any medical condition. To conduct clinical drug research in the United States, researchers must file an Investigational New Drug (IND) application with the FDA.
The potential benefits of medicinal Cannabis for people living with cancer include antiemetic effects, appetite stimulation, pain relief, and improved sleep. Although few relevant surveys of practice patterns exist, it appears that physicians caring for cancer patients in the United States who recommend medicinal Cannabis predominantly do so for symptom management.[2]
Cannabinoids are a group of terpenophenolic compounds found in Cannabis species (Cannabis sativa L. and Cannabis indica Lam.). This summary will review the role of Cannabis and the cannabinoids in the treatment of people with cancer and disease-related or treatment-related side effects.
References
  1. Adams IB, Martin BR: Cannabis: pharmacology and toxicology in animals and humans. Addiction 91 (11): 1585-614, 1996. [PUBMED Abstract]
  2. Doblin RE, Kleiman MA: Marijuana as antiemetic medicine: a survey of oncologists' experiences and attitudes. J Clin Oncol 9 (7): 1314-9, 1991. [PUBMED Abstract]

BeardedCrow

As I understand, they KNOW it's a benefit to humans, but that is their disbenefit.

Take example the evil pharmaceutical Corps, 'sick people makes profit'.

Cannabis threatens too many corporate seats in my opinion.

One orthe other must go, I choose the cretin corporate assholes.

BeardedCrow,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
As I understand, they KNOW it's a benefit to humans, but that is their disbenefit.

Not trying to defend my post or stir up an arguement, but the information posted on a U.S. gov't website, IMO, is certainly alot more than "KNOW"ing. Maybe "admitting". To quote the article,"The (U.S.)federal government reported this incredible news."

z9

That's great to hear, everything is definitely moving in the right direction. Its about time Federal programs start to advocate its use when the benefits have been clearly proven.

But what about this Bill Rosendahl. He might have been a supporter of MMJ before his diagnosis but the fact that he didn't do anything about MMJ prior to being diagnosed with cancer then saying something like "You want to kill ME?"
What a piece of shit... that's disgusting

“Cities that ban dispensaries are denying patients the ability to obtain a medicine the Federal government’s National Institutes of Health says fights cancer and they’re doing it with the Obama Administration’s help.” Recently, the City of Los Angeles repealed its ban of medical marijuana collectives after Bill Rosendahl, a member of its city council diagnosed with cancer and prescribed medical marijuana said to fellow council members about the ban, “You want to kill me? You want to throw me under the bus?”

Gunky

The whole notion of outlawing the only existing dioecious annual, one of the main grain and fiber species on the planet (not to mention all the medical and recreational uses), is stupid. It's like trying to stamp out wheat or rice.

Gunky,
Top Bottom