Farewell to the ice bong?

QueenofVAS

Hi. I’m a recent convert to the world of dry herb vaping and I’m currently obsessed with butane, or rather analog, dry herb vaporizers. I also am a glass fiend from way back (both heady and scientific). I have some large bongs (ice bongs, a multistage recycler, ash catchers, etc.).
I’m seeing a lot of setups that are smaller, and more of a direct path when it comes to cooling the vapor. Is there a reason for this? Should I consider selling these pieces, or is there a place for them to be used without resorting to combustion?

QueenofVAS,
Reactions: vapefritz

Marcus

I like using my tall ice bong with butane vapes.

I can fill them up, take a breath and then have a big rip off it with the vape out of the piece.

The elev8r works like a charm for this.

:clap::tup:

Madtater

I don’t have the lung capacity for large pieces (yet). Ice not withstanding. So i stick to smaller glass around the 6-10” size.

Honestly, i have been doing tap warm/hot water rips and find the terps are way more pronounced. Not talking about steam coming off of the water hot, but just water to the point right before steam comes off. First one i did was a bit weird, but after that i find i can take in a bigger rip without irritation.

I didnt believe it until i tried it, but it works for me🤷🏻‍♂️

QueenofVAS

I don’t have the lung capacity for large pieces (yet). Ice not withstanding. So i stick to smaller glass around the 6-10” size.

Honestly, i have been doing tap warm/hot water rips and find the terps are way more pronounced. Not talking about steam coming off of the water hot, but just water to the point right before steam comes off. First one i did was a bit weird, but after that i find i can take in a bigger rip without irritation.

I didnt believe it until i tried it, but it works for me🤷🏻‍♂️
Interesting 🤔

QueenofVAS,
Reactions: Madtater

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Interesting 🤔

Yeah lung capacity, but also airflow, depending on the ice tube bong, and the perk, water level etc with the shape, that all affects the extraction depending on the vape you are using, like with pure convection it depends so much on the inhale, so a nice smooth perc can help get the full function, however others have no problem using the traditional bong with downstem and minimal diffusion and plenty of chug... So it depends on the piece, the vape, the load and other variables along with your own user preferences beyond that... Just need the right stuff to go with whatever setup you like!

vapefritz

When I still smoked I always preferred large glass bongs, still currently using one with a ball vape and it is working alright.
But I did try it on a smaller glass piece of a friend and honestly it's just a bit better. My theory:

- Smoke is just hotter, so cooling is more beneficial. Vapor is cooler, cooling it too much leads to too much condensation of the good stuff you actually want in your lungs.
- Smoke is "dirtier", benefits more from filtering. There is basically nothing in vapor you want to filter out, at best you are going for a slightly smoother taste.
- Different way of consuming: With smoke, especially when mixed with tobacco as often done here in Europe, I always pulled slowly until the glass was full, then inhaled in one big, quick draw, held it for two seconds, exhaled just as quickly. With vaporizers, I inhale very slowly and exhale very slowly. If I try to do it just as quickly as with smoke I have to cough. Also I enjoy the flavor way more that way, so that's actually a plus.

Long story short seems that what made large pieces good before does not really apply to vaping and I'm getting a smaller glass piece for sure 😁 That said it will work with whatever glass piece and always taste great and be enjoyable, it's really just about fine tuning and everyone has a personal taste!

rizlafreak

two dog star
My guess is, good vapor specific pieces come down to two things mainly: Good percolation without a lot of glass surface area -so naturally less volume too-, where the good stuff condensates. the warmer the water and glass piece the better the flavor as less condensation occurs due less temp. differential, maybe?

Last edited:
rizlafreak,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
When I still combusted, I preferred larger bongs with multiple perks (bubbling chambers) and larger stacking chambers. The focus was taking large kits while cutting down the harshness of the smoke as much as possible by filtering out as much of the smoke's ash as much as possible. So, as many bubbles as possible and as much ice as possible made sense.

Now that I vaporize all the time, the focus move to still taking larger hits sometimes, but condensing the vapor and conserving flavor have become the main goals now. I do want to cool it just a little bit, and add a little water to filter out any plant matter that may make it through the screen, but I still want to condense as little vapor on the inside surfaces of the glass and into the ice and water as possible. So, instead of large pieces with multiple complicated chambers with no ice, I've migrated to medium to smaller size pieces with only one small simple perc chamber (simple meaning a few holes with larger bubbles, rather than many holes with smaller bubbles) and no ice. In fact, there are many here who often recommend butting warm to hot water in your piece because they find it easier on the throat with vapor.

Anyway. Just a few thoughts. Have fun with your continuing GAS adventure!

Ramahs,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

I didnt believe it until i tried it, but it works for me

I read about using warm water in my water piece. Tried it a few times, and indeed it caused me less coughing than any other combination of things I’ve tried. I don’t do it every time as it adds another task to do before a session and the water cools off quickly. I recommend everyone at least try it once …. :)

vapefritz

Just a little update, I received this way smaller bubbler a few days ago:
Before that I was using a pretty massive 50cm beaker bong (made out of 9mm glass, I love this thing). Still got it from combustion times. New smaller one is way better for my ball vape! Now I use it at 10 degrees lower temp, don't ask why, seems to just be the different draw. Taste and effect have improved. For me personally it really seems to be true, different rules apply for vaping, and small really seems to be the way to go!

Top Bottom