Eyelid twitches?

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
So for a bit of time now I have had a problem with eye twitches. I have noticed it in the past few months when I have started using cannabis more and more. I mainly vape at night with my MFLB (about 2 hours before bedtime), and most of the time I fall asleep slightly buzzed and don't notice the eye twitching stuff and just conk out. But when I am sober and laying down in bed and trying to close my eyes and keep them closed, my eye lids will twitch and it will cause me to not be able to sleep (i took a week T-break 2 weeks ago, this is when I mainly noticed it). (they twitch as if I am still blinking with my eyes closed). If I focus on relaxing I can go a slightly longer period of time without twitches, but it still happens.

Also, this rarely happens during the day, only when I close my eyes. (today is the only day that my eyes started twitching during the day, but I think it is due to eye strain (I have been doing a lot of computer stuff lately))

I am not sure if this is from cannabis use or from stress or something else. Any ideas? Or has anyone had any experience with this? I know this is kind of random haha.

Elluzion,

lepstadder

Look at your diet.

Try eating more fresh fruits and veg

also make sure you are plenty hydrated

increasing the amount of phytonutrients and potassium can benefit muscle health

start with a banana

also stress could be a factor, or previous facial trauma...

lepstadder,

midnight rider

naturally you should get an eye exam especially if you haven't had one in the last year to rule out any problems.
if your eye exam is good, ....
how's your water intake? dehydration is never good. avoid excessive caffeine, diet sodas and fake sugars.
sometimes a magnesium, calcium and/or potassium supplement can help with twitches and muscle spasms. try emergen-c, it has lots of valuable vitamins and minerals most of us can use. if you're diabetic or have heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, etc, don't take anything new without checking with your doctor first. :peace:

edit: was composing as you posted lepstadder hence some of the duplicate info

midnight rider,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
lepstadder said:
Look at your diet.

Try eating more fresh fruits and veg

also make sure you are plenty hydrated

increasing the amount of phytonutrients and potassium can benefit muscle health

start with a banana

also stress could be a factor, or previous facial trauma...

I am very good with my diet. I am primarily vegan and eat many vegetables and fruits. I sometimes get off track but am on most of the time. I stay very hydrated with my klean kanteen water bottle. I drink A LOT of water. I don't drink caffeine, or diet sodas, or drink alcohol, or take in any fake sugar.

I actually had face trauma over the summer when I blacked out from lack of oxygen after taking a waterfall bong hit. I blacked out and hit my face and chipped my tooth. But after that event I never noticed the twitches because I didn't get high for a while after that.

So i'm not really sure.
midnight rider said:
naturally you should get an eye exam especially if you haven't had one in the last year to rule out any problems.
if your eye exam is good, ....
how's your water intake? dehydration is never good. avoid excessive caffeine, diet sodas and fake sugars.
sometimes a magnesium, calcium and/or potassium supplement can help with twitches and muscle spasms. try emergen-c, it has lots of valuable vitamins and minerals most of us can use. if you're diabetic or have heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, etc, don't take anything new without checking with your doctor first. :peace:

edit: was composing as you posted lepstadder hence some of the duplicate info

Read the post above, but yeah. ha. Maybe I should have an eye exam.

Elluzion,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
My first guess at what would be causing this would be stress. IMO, it has nothing to do with cannabis. I also have eye twitching on occasion, and usually it is stress induced. It doesn't necessarily need to be my own stress..... for example, I have very few real problems of my own. But I have friends and family with a whole heap of problems. They all call me to vent and for advice. As soon as the phone rings these days, my eye starts to twitch. In fact, it's twitching right now thinking about it. This might sound as if I'm kidding, but I'm really not.

You mentioned you are doing a lot of computer work right lately. Is this due to increased work load? I would take a look at your life and habits and see if any of them are causing more stress than usual. Since this is an involuntary muscle reflex, I don't know what an eye doctor could do for you. I would try to find some relaxation techniques instead.

momofthegoons,

Cleanfiend

I cannot substantiate the following claim, but thought it might contribute to the discussion:

Long ago, I had heard that a police officer can perform a field test for marijuana intoxication by instructing you to close your eyes and then shines a flashlight at your eyelids. If they twitch, then (supposedly) you are high.

Anecdotally -- I have found that my eyelids do indeed twitch when high. I am highly skeptical, however, of the field-test and would have a fun time if an officer ever tried to administer one on me.

Cleanfiend,

crawdad

floatin
for me i have the most eye twitches when i use the computer a lot or for long periods of time. the staring at the screen seems to induce them but it takes a while. i work on a computer all day long so try to not use one at all when at home unless for just a very short time.

might try taking a couple days off the computer or attempt to extend your rest a bit, best of luck. i know how annoying it can be.

crawdad,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
I was always told by my mum, my doctor and my gf that eyes twitching is the symptom for a combination of stress, lack of sleep and a lack of several nutritional substances (magnesium, calcium...). Altough google seems to confirm it, I am not a doctor and cannot confirm this is 100% true!
A lack of magnesium can also be detected if you have small "white spots" on your nails for example...

FLskwat,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
momofthegoons said:
My first guess at what would be causing this would be stress. IMO, it has nothing to do with cannabis. I also have eye twitching on occasion, and usually it is stress induced. It doesn't necessarily need to be my own stress..... for example, I have very few real problems of my own. But I have friends and family with a whole heap of problems. They all call me to vent and for advice. As soon as the phone rings these days, my eye starts to twitch. In fact, it's twitching right now thinking about it. This might sound as if I'm kidding, but I'm really not.

You mentioned you are doing a lot of computer work right lately. Is this due to increased work load? I would take a look at your life and habits and see if any of them are causing more stress than usual. Since this is an involuntary muscle reflex, I don't know what an eye doctor could do for you. I would try to find some relaxation techniques instead.

Yeah it is probably stress induced. I am back at school and overwhelmed with everything at the moment. Also it is probably due to a lot of computer use as well. I wouldn't have thought that it would be cannabis. I do get small eye twitches when I vape cannabis but normally it relaxes my eyes.

The computer work is due to having notes on my computer (trying to study off of it). Also I have been playing computer games more increasingly over the past few weeks, so I am sure that this is a factor as well.

Thanks for the info though!

Elluzion,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
FLskwat said:
I was always told by my mum, my doctor and my gf that eyes twitching is the symptom for a combination of stress, lack of sleep and a lack of several nutritional substances (magnesium, calcium...). Altough google seems to confirm it, I am not a doctor and cannot confirm this is 100% true!
A lack of magnesium can also be detected if you have small "white spots" on your nails for example...

Thanks for the good info, I will look into more magnesium. Anyone know any magnesium rich foods off the top of their head?

Cleanfiend said:
I cannot substantiate the following claim, but thought it might contribute to the discussion:

Long ago, I had heard that a police officer can perform a field test for marijuana intoxication by instructing you to close your eyes and then shines a flashlight at your eyelids. If they twitch, then (supposedly) you are high.

Anecdotally -- I have found that my eyelids do indeed twitch when high. I am highly skeptical, however, of the field-test and would have a fun time if an officer ever tried to administer one on me.

The field test sounds interesting, I'm not sure about that. I usually get random bodily twitches when high.

Elluzion,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Just found this for anyone interested:

Sources of magnesium: The best way to obtain magnesium is through unprocessed whole foods from the vegetable kingdom. Magnesium is a core component of chlorophyll and makes it a very important mineral for plant photosynthesis. Chlorophyll gives plants their green pigmentation. Dark green algaes and leafs such as chlorella and spinach are great sources of magnesium because of their high chlorophyll content. Foods high in magnesium are frequently high in potassium and dietary fiber as well. Most nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews), seeds and legumes contain high amounts of magnesium. Other high magnesium foods include apples, organic soy, apricots, avocados, beet tops, berries, black walnuts, Brazil nuts, cabbage, coconuts, comfrey leaves, figs, dulse (red algae), dark green leafs (kale, chard, collard), walnuts, and watercress. Also, whole grains such as millet and brown rice.

source: http://hlifemedia.com/2010/07/mineral-profile-magnesium/

Elluzion,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Exactly, spinach, all type of nuts and avocados are great health sources!
Also remember that Banana is the fruit with more magnesium and that dry fruits have more magnesium then fresh ones!
Chocolate, "fat" fishes (salmon, herring...) and seafood are also known sources of magnesium!

FLskwat,

GreenLeaf

Are you getting enough rest? When I don't rest enough that happens to me and once I get enough rest I'm fine.

GreenLeaf,
Top Bottom