EVOLV Cricket

Easywider

Simple is the way
Here's how my tub is looking after blocking the 3 middle air intakes on each side of the MP.

Way less splatter and an almost clean bucket. :rockon:

ZSZbzX

Has any found a solution for when the cap on/off magnetic sensor becomes reversed? Mine is stuck like this.

Last edited:

MolassesGrasses

I got my blemished cricket 2 weeks ago and it is by far my favorite concentrate device I have ever used. I have been dabbing around a decade now from back in the days when people didn't know better and used red hot bangers, to thermometers and terp timers for dabs, to the HVT sai on a pico box mod, hunibadgers, puffco proxy and peaks, freight train fusion head for double deckers, and now the cricket.

Of all the devices and methods above the cricket gives you the most high off the smallest amount. A large bb sized dab has made me green out on this device once before which I have not done in years because I was not expecting or respecting the hit it gave me. I have now read every page of this thread because I was weighing getting one or not then looking for the files for the software and people's updates on it and here are my tips on how I have found the best way to use and maintain this device:

Temps- I enjoy 470-555 degrees F for turning your trench-load into 2 impactful dab hits.

Draw speed- Draw slow but it's more about drawing gentle not forcing air + dabs up into it like a straw if it is whistling especially loudly you are going too fast chill act like you are taking deep long relaxed breaths but you don't have to worry too much it works fine on medium draw speeds too just chill out some people don't realize they inhale ridiculously hard every pull and that has been consistent across all types of smoking and vaping over the decades these people likely canoe blunts and joints from pulling like a beast not a gentleman/lady lol.

Cleaning - RELAX. This is the easiest concentrate device I have ever had to clean come on people the last few pages are contrived unnecessary steps likely from stoner paranoia that waste time and energy and materials. I never use ISO unless the device is horribly unusably clogged which is 100% on user error and I did once before. When this happens you take the cap off remove the silicone holder for the glass chimney and the chimney itself which I use the loading tool in the device to GENTLY dislodge which works fine if you suck at that use papertowels to cushion it then push it through behind the towel cushion and you will be fine.

If you clog the glass chimney with dabs what you need to do is simply take the top off, put it in your mouth like you are hitting it, and then blow through it like shooting a blow gun or something and all, or over 95% of the dabs will shoot out of it so make sure you are holding it in your other hand with a paper towel to catch the wax spray. This works 100% of the time I have tried it 100s of times now it is incredibly easy to do you just have to right after a dab while it is still warm. Do this before cleaning the rest of it and if you are using the cricket right you will seldom need to blow to clear the chimney it's really not hard I don't know why people are having such a difficult time cleaning it they are probably over concerned about getting it 100% clean with wax devices they will get like 95-99% clean if you clean them quick and that is 100% ok it won't stink up past your pocket or anything chill the heck out imo.

For daily and weekly all standard use I only use paper towels. I tried q tips, q tips in iso, paper towels in iso, fuck all of them right after you finish your dab and the device is warm take half a paper towel, bunch it up or fold it and wipe the top lid first while it's still warm to remove any wax on it. Then the top of the trench and around the tightening knobs, then inside the trench jam some paper towel in there and wipe that too if you need do it all upside down and pulse the heat for like 1 second and it will remove the wax better than either q tips or Iso wiping will with less mess. Once you get practiced at it it takes less than 3 seconds to clean the device to near spotless and you can wait until the end of a session after 4 or 5 dabs to wipe clean if you want I do all the time.

I got mine for $250 and regret it 0% I made an account after lurking on this site for years to post this because people being so nitpicky about dabbing and paranoid about cleaning or breaking stuff because they do stuff in some super peculiar way is holding back the dry herb and dab device industries and imo dab culture in general by making people think they need some rediculous industrial torch plus terp slurper setup to use them vs this large Juul looking pocketable modern American made thing. I am obviously a big fan of this company now but you can find my reddit posts on u/molassesgrasses and i'm on Troy and Jerry's discord if anyone wants to talk for proof i'm not a shill because i'm sure me cleaning this in a normal efficient way without problem will convince some people on here I work for their company, I don't I just homegrow and press my own rosin and wanted to let people know they don't need and imo shouldn't be shoving plastic down their glass to clean it when you can just blow it loose and the hot dabs run like liquid coating the bottom which you then wipe clean.

Edit- I forgot to mention that the Troy and Jerry show on it is what convinced me to grab one! Jerry did a great job of showing from a user who prefers being efficient the most high from the least material possible how this thing is ideal for us. It isn't for people trying to down a whole half gram dab at once it's for someone who wants one normal sized dab in a 5 to 10 second window including a quick clean wipe down or 3 seconds if you dont give af. Since grabbing this thing I have built up a surplus of allotment in my state's medical system which prior to this for over a year I had maxed out every month.

biohacker

A somebody who has used RDA's for concentrates for over a decade, I can't for the life of me figure out why the Cricket doesn't have some sort of adjustable airflow.

But it does, you can vary the amount of oil you intentionally clog the chimney with. I had it perfect at one point where I could draw as hard as I wanted and it was all good!

I never use ISO unless the device is horribly unusably clogged which is 100% on user error and I did once before.

How is it user error when you deep clean the unit back to virginity, calibrate, religiously size the bb, and use a 5s heatup, resulting in a snap crackle pop right up the chimney, without even having a chance to inhale. And there is also now nothing left to inhale.

florduh

But it does, you can vary the amount of oil you intentionally clog the chimney with. I had it perfect at one point where I could draw as hard as I wanted and it was all good!

lol I mean maybe I'm missing something about how they designed the airflow that makes it impossible. I'm just surprised that a company from e-cig world wouldn't implement adjustable airflow. Every e-juice RDA I had back in the day allowed you to either open it way up or choke down the airflow.

I feel like it would help with splatter. But also... it would help if you're sharing the device. IME getting newbies to do a slow/soft inhale is always a gamble.

MolassesGrasses

How is it user error when you deep clean the unit back to virginity, calibrate, religiously size the bb, and use a 5s heatup, resulting in a snap crackle pop right up the chimney, without even having a chance to inhale. And there is also now nothing left to inhale.

Where are you getting your concentrates? I am confused by this problem because in my state Maryland with our medical program or when I was in Virginia or using flower rosin/hash rosin I press myself I have never had concentrates snap, crackle, or pop since the sketchy days of black market pre-medical cheap concentrates. Maybe your temp is way too high or your device is malfunctioning? I have literally never had wax get ruined or spent or launched or whatever is happening a splatter in my device not one time using tons of brands products and self pressed. The only time wax gets in my chimney is if I load too much and draw too hard. When I blow my chimney free of wax there is typically only a small bit in there still allowing air flow the device has only ever been fully clogged and not clearable through blowing once and that was when I was learning it, loaded too much and pulled way too hard.

The way my blemished unit works I would have to make a mistake to clog it. Have you updated your firmware? I did before using mine much at all so maybe having it updated fixes it?

I am not trying to be obtuse or rude or doubting your claims that this is happening I just cannot mechanically understand how the 5 second heat up could possibly make concentrate launch vertically through the tiny glass tube and clog it that sounds like incredibly bad luck with some instable/sketchy wax to me as someone who has made my own or bought dispensary medical only for a couple of years now and never experienced product like that.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
The “cleaning tool”, is just a thin piece of plastic. It doesn’t do much more then push out a blockage of oil in the thin glass chimney.
It gets MESSY, and just smears the oil inside the glass. I’ve yet to find a BETTER way. Because the glass is so THIN, it’s been a challenge to find something pre-made that would actually clean it. I’ve been trying to find something that is rigid enough to push through that would have some absorption that ISO or my choice of 190 Ethanol (Everclear) would cling too. Even tiny denture brushes and picks are too thick. Even soaking the glass in solvent, it’s still difficult to clean. The Cricket still works fine after pushing out any oil blockage, but for OCD cleaning…. I’m still searching for a BETTER tool……

The chimney is made from GLASS, so NO METAL, in a much earlier post, before I received my Cricket @DJ Colonel Corn reported he broke his with a metal tool, Alan wrench if I recall. I’m not looking to scratch the glass. The ideal tool would be rigid enough to push through, but have some ability to absorb and hold a bit of solvent. Not even sure if a wooden stir stick is thin enough, the ones I’ve tried are too thick. Your suggestions are the same as the current plastic one, only more destructive!

TIP: If you don’t have or lose the OG plastic tool, flattening a PLASTIC cocktail stir stick, works, as well as a standard plastic straw, but ONLY for pushing out the clog, doesn’t solve the residual oil that smears just like the included tool.

I've only had my Cricket for a couple of days, and I have LOTS of thoughts, but I'm working all weekend and too busy to comment much yet. The cap is too loose but not terrible. The airflow needed to be fixed (too open). The cap on/off sensor gets confused occasionally.

I did discover this great way to clean the chimney glass...

Oral -B Superfloss. The link takes you to Amazon where you can get a pack of 50 of the non-mint flavored flosses for $5.

It works perfectly unless you've managed to completely clog up the glass tube. It will probably work then as well, it will just take a couple of them with fresh iso dunks (of the floss, not the mouthpiece). The floss is three parts. One end is hard plastic that's springy and maybe 36 gauge. The middle part of the floss is this circular mesh that gets thicker and thinner as you loosen and tighten your grip on the ends of the floss. The other end is just regular floss material.

You don't have to remove the chimney or glass from the cap. Just thread the springy end through the glass tube and hold both ends of the piece of floss and pull the circular mesh part back and forth in the glass tube. I soak the mesh in 99% Iso and it's fine (haven't tried ethanol so I don't know if the mesh material is OK with it). Scrubs the inside and makes the glass chimney sparkle like new.

52784527406_7d38c1886f_b_d.jpg

52784922635_481555d693_b_d.jpg

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Just threw a couple strips of duct tape over the center 3 ports on both sides, as others have noted this is a huge upgrade IMO. With the way this device works the slightly restricted flow aids in getting the right draw speed.

It’s a really good device but a few things here and there would make it retail ready. Slight detents on the case/cap joint for torsional rigidity (especially for a device marketed as “pocketable”); and either close off the middle ports or come up with a slider to make it adjustable.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I've only had my Cricket for a couple of days, and I have LOTS of thoughts, but I'm working all weekend and too busy to comment much yet. The cap is too loose but not terrible. The airflow needed to be fixed (too open). The cap on/off sensor gets confused occasionally.

I did discover this great way to clean the chimney glass...

Oral -B Superfloss. The link takes you to Amazon where you can get a pack of 50 of the non-mint flavored flosses for $5.

It works perfectly unless you've managed to completely clog up the glass tube. It will probably work then as well, it will just take a couple of them with fresh iso dunks (of the floss, not the mouthpiece). The floss is three parts. One end is hard plastic that's springy and maybe 36 gauge. The middle part of the floss is this circular mesh that gets thicker and thinner as you loosen and tighten your grip on the ends of the floss. The other end is just regular floss material.

You don't have to remove the chimney or glass from the cap. Just thread the springy end through the glass tube and hold both ends of the piece of floss and pull the circular mesh part back and forth in the glass tube. I soak the mesh in 99% Iso and it's fine (haven't tried ethanol so I don't know if the mesh material is OK with it). Scrubs the inside and makes the glass chimney sparkle like new.

52784527406_7d38c1886f_b_d.jpg

52784922635_481555d693_b_d.jpg

Would you believe I have that exact box in my medicine cabinet. Since I never use it, didn’t think about it!
I’ll give it try, NICE JOB!

Timps27

Starting to find the groove with this little guy. My rule is becoming ‘if it looks too small, take a little off’. It’s a true micro-dosing dab rig, I had had a personal moritorium on weeknight dabs. Had. If you’re the kind of person who likes dabs on the smaller side, this thing is rad.

But also sort of identifies another shortfall of the device from a retail perspective. It has a learning curve, I wasn’t too impressed at first. But I’m an experienced vaper who understands the processies at work and has access to the knowledge of amazing FCer’s who share. Is your average brick and mortar retail customer going to have the patience to learn how to make this thing purr?

I’m starting to think it’s more like a [pick your favorite hot small sports car, mine’s GTI]. “It’s just a little car.” But many of them have a whole lotta snap under the throttle and they’ll bite ya if you don’t know what you’re doing. Not too far off from “It’s just a wax pen.”

TonyGazelle

Through some wizardry I found myself with a weekend by myself last weekend. I had no chores and it was exactly what I needed to refresh myself.

I also decided to treat myself to some new concentrates. I grabbed a gram of some terpy nice live budder or sugar, I can't remember.

Aside from 2 rio dabs, I used my cricket for the entire gram of concentrate.

This is my chimney after a nearly a gram of concentrate over the course of 2 days. You can begin to see just a bit of of buildup on the left but barely any.

I am using 3sec warm up with the cap on and stock everything else. Ive posted about using a slow gentle draw and I think it's key. I am also melting my loads as recommended. I've seen success with loading a recommended sized dab or smaller and temp 570 for 2 tasty satisfying hits.

I'm thinking this is going to perfect for the golf course

Im really liking the device. Using it like this and having to charge a few times do have my yearning for an XL version with a larger battery and tub. Wonder if well ever see that?

Last edited:
Hi all! New here and joined because of my Cricket obsession! I have a regular device and one blemished device. As a long term medical patient I am absolutely in love with this gorgeous setup after a day of use! I have a few questions though even after reading every post in this thread... :)

1. Is the O-Ring on the dab tool just cosmetic or does it serve a purpose? I am not a fan of O-Rings as they always degrade and I am hoping this one is just for aesthetics as it appears.

2. How full should the trench be after the pre-melt? A BB sized dab seems to fill the trench about half way full does that sound about right?

3. If you were to just have one temp programmed for daily use for on and off what would they be set too? I am thinking about 190 for cap off pre-melts and about 550 for decent milky dabs for cap on.

4. Heat up time comes set at 1 second. What setting are you all running it at? I am at 3 seconds and after one day of use that seems pretty good but would love your insight.

5. Has anyone found a stand to put Cricket in while not using? I reached out to Buckeye Bud on Etsy who makes stands for Pax and Select vape batteries. However, they said since they use the device for the molding this device is out of their reach price wise to make a mold.

6. If you pre-melt a dab and lay the Cricket on its side all day will the pre-melt start crawling and leak out? I haven't tried yet and don't want to find out the hard way. :)

Excited to be here thanks everyone for all your tips and tricks already! Absolute fire!

OyVape

Hey, @Evolv ,

My new (blem) Cricket simply stopped heating up. Cap off, cap on—nothing. It’s fully charged. I don’t think I’ve even had it for 2 weeks. I cleaned it fully last night and now nothing. What can we do about this?

someTooL

Decided to try a blemished but had an issue with my CC being flagged. Think it went through 2nd time. Does Evolve send notification of order confirmation?

someTooL,

INDIVA

I’ve had this happen to me because my dabber threw the sensors off. I resolved it by locking and unlocking it.

If that doesn’t work you could also reset the device using escribe.
All you have to do is recalibrate it which you can do on the device you do not need to plug it into escribe just recalibrate the tub and problem solved or lack their of

INDIVA,

INDIVA

Wow ok.
Yes you are right about how small dabs are enough to get medicated.

The other point I have to underscore is.. it kinda matters what type of oil one is using.
With the high potency of my current material, a couple few hits and I am very well medicated, extremely.

I have, as well, become a much more modertate concentrate user than I was in the past.

The cricket being so portable IS a huge plus for me, personally.

However, new users can be dumb users, and so I have to report.....

That I broke the glass chimney while cleaning it. Dang ! Good thing Evolv sells replacements.

I also figured I'd pick up an extra trough for the day it might go out.

The glass chimenys can be found here:
https://www.evolvapor.com/products/cricket-chimney-assembly

I'm also looking for some small wooden coffee stir sticks that came with the Cricket !

A nice thing to clean it out with is a 0.7mm / 0.028in allen key.

I broke it with a 0.9 allen , used the wrong one.

Cheers !!
There's actually no need to ever replace a grade 9 ti bucket that I can see as it just would need a good cleaning which all it needs is something like dark crystal cleaner or headdieddies powder cleaner both do wonders but they must be hot and I'm sure there's other products that works great on t.i.. I used the dark crystal cleaner on my cca710 liger 30mm and it looks brand new other than it's colored which is normal

INDIVA,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I could swear when I first got my Cricket it didn't have any auto lock. You locked and unlocked it manually yourself (five clicks) and it didn't automatically lock from an unlocked state after a certain amount of time unused. Now mine does. I can't find a setting for it in eScribe.

So am I on drugs or something?

Haywood,

Timps27

It’s possible a firmware update made a background change but I would imagine that should be documented in a change log or some such other.

Everybody’s on drugs:

Timps27,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Slurpers are dabsolutely amazing.. efficiency and terp flavors galore...it gets u actually ripped...and then hot dunk it in iso 250-300f dabbing temps 515-560 rabidglass is hands down my favorite slurper maker best prices and quality is second to none $40-60 for a complete slurper set pillar and cap is a steal
Slurpers are thee go to home dabbing setup hands down!!!!!
Seems like such high maintenance though to have to dunk the whole thing after every dab! (especially if you sit down and do 3-4 dabs back-to-back 7-10 times a day)

Top Bottom