Enano non-adjustable stems.

PeteyS

Can anyone chime in as to how much the all glass non adjustable stems hold in the Enano.
Or in other words, what is least amount they can hold without being too far from the heater,
and what is the most they can hold without being to close to the heater.

Thanks, all.

Trying to decide on stems is hard.

Pete.

PeteyS,

cannasoor

All right, I know you have an XL, and I can't speak to that or its stems (my Nano is an OG), but I can put 1/30th in an "ice stem" and get very nice results with that.

I don't want to mislead you with OG experience re your XL, but nobody else is answering, and I feel for you :ugh: .

I suspect the minimum load size for an XL stem would be slightly larger, as it has a bigger diameter. I think 0.05 or 1/20th is about the most I would load in an OG stem, as even at that level it starts to affect the flavor a bit (for the worse, though not bad, really).

I've seen several of your posts in other threads, replied to some, but here is my (way too detailed) approach and advice … again, from someone who is very experienced with the OG model, but never even seen an XL in real life:
  • I grind very fine; I don't think that's crucial, as many people report using small, hand-broken nuglets to good effect.
  • I load my screens/stems with the screen "cup style" (open end of screen toward the heater); this is atypical for most here. My screens are about 11-13 millimeters from the end of the stem (measuring from the closest part = open end of the screen). [XL stems apparently use two screens, so that's going to be a bit different.]
  • I pack light, about 1/40th to 1/25th of a gram, so 0.025-0.04, but typically 0.03.
  • I tamp very lightly, but with my fluffy/fine grind that means the volume reduces to about 2/3-3/4 original size. (I don't load by "straw-sucking", but by "pouring" from a small vial of pre-ground; this is partly why the load is so "fluffy"; it sometimes needs to be coaxed from the vial with a quick stir.)
  • I start at very low temps (usually from 4.7 for a slow run up to (starting at) 5.3, for a relatively "hot/fast" run).
  • I use a light draw: it certainly doesn't feel like sucking on a milkshake straw! :lol: I followed someone's long-ago advice (paraphrasing): "Try not to draw at all, then draw *just* the least bit more than that." I draw for approx. 15 seconds per hit (not to full lung capacity).
  • I step up in temps by very little each step, currently standard for me is 0.3 per step (so: 4.7, 5.0, 5.3, etc., are my temp stops).
  • I take about 12-36 draws at each temp stop. My old standard was 12 at each, but lately I've been putting more emphasis on longer times at lower temps, so now a full 36 at 4.7, then 24 at 5.0, etc., down to about 6 draws (or "hits") at my usual max temps of 6.2 or 6.5.
WARNING: nobody I have ever heard from takes anywhere near this many long, slow draws at low temps (or high temps). In other words, I am way out on the lunatic fringe here. I get about 100 draws per stem in a session lately, usually 2 stems in rotation, with my latest "session profile". I am pretty sure about these numbers, as I've built a small "session board" from a picture frame, with a graphic layout of the temps, stem rotation, etc., which I track with a magnetic pawn as I go through the session (there are some metal washers under the graphic, behind the frame's glass, embedded in a layer of craft foam, to hold the pawn at each point in the process). I've been tracking closely this way for the better part of a year.

I have been meaning to write all this up for the E-Nano thread (the OG one) since last December, but my technique, tools (like the board), etc., keep advancing to new levels, so I just haven't had the time. My latest big change was from a uniform 12 draws per stem at each temp stop to going for more draws at lower temps, then slowly decreasing the number of hits as the temp rises. (This gives a kind of triangular wing shape to my latest session board design.) What I have noticed is that if I start low (say 4.7), then the load gets pretty cooked by about 6.2 or 6.5. But if I start higher up, say at 5.3, and just follow the pattern at that level, then I reach the "cooked" level at about the same point in the process. (And if I start at 5.6 or 5.9, I am only going to get far fewer draws out of the stem, maybe as few as 15-20.)

In ASCII terms, my latest session structures looks roughly like this (A / B are here two stems with different strains):
  • 4.7: A A A A A A; B B B B B B
  • 5.0: A A A A; B B B B
  • 5.3: A A A; B B B
  • 5.6: A A; B B
  • 5.9: A; B
  • 6.2: A; B
  • 6.5: A; B {optional, depending on flavor, etc.}
(Here each capital letter is a sequence of 6 draws of about 15 seconds each, pretty closely spaced. The blank spaces in the ASCII give a sense of when I might pause for a sip of water, bathroom trip, etc., with more spaces = possibly longer pause. [Except the FC board software has eliminated redundant spaces: oh, well.] This structure puts more emphasis on longer runs of each stem (A / B) in a row before switching, whereas my older one employed a quicker alternation—see board pattern in picture below. I'm still exploring … .)

Suffice it to say that I monitor my session structures very closely, have refined my technique over several years, and am very consistently happy (ecstatic!) with the results.

===> It is perhaps the case that the herb and the high have made me a bit obsessive about my technique. Just possibly. Maybe.
:ko::rolleyes::clap::rofl:

So this has been way off-topic to your specific non-adjustable stem question here, and way too much info, but I feel like you're in a minor crisis adjusting to your new purchase, and I want to reassure you that with time and attention, fantastic results are within reach … well, at least they have happened that way in my journey, so far. And you probably don't have to be as obsessive about it, either :lol: .

TLDR: grind fine, pack small (0.03?), tamp light, low temp start (5.0?), small temp steps (0.3?), light draw, lots of hits.

OK, here is a quick snapshot of my Nano and the session board, albeit here with the older session pattern. Each row is a temp step, and again, each cap. letter is 6 fifteen-second hits. So on this board a full session would be 84 hits per stem, for two stems. (The C / D are sidecar hits, typically on my Lotus, etc. And the weird A/B alternation pattern is a whole 'nother story … .)

Nano-With-Board.png

Last edited:

PeteyS

Hey canna soor, thanks for the very detailed write up, its great.
Im also very keen on low temp vaping. I first starting off at 6 when i got the vape, but didn't get what i was looking for as i was still learning the ins and outs of the log vape.
I realized that 7 on my dial is where you get reliable vapour on the first hit. But im going to go back to the 6 range and try my technique to try to get some terpy hits.
Can I ask why you take 12-36 hits per temp step. Do you find that it is healthier on the lungs, rather then maxing out the lungs for a one hitter.
I haven't tried the nano xl with multiple pulls yet, Ill have to try it out with shorter pulls. Im sure it will make the hit more comfortable.

cannasoor

Hey canna soor, thanks for the very detailed write up, its great.
Im also very keen on low temp vaping. I first starting off at 6 when i got the vape, but didn't get what i was looking for as i was still learning the ins and outs of the log vape.
I realized that 7 on my dial is where you get reliable vapour on the first hit. But im going to go back to the 6 range and try my technique to try to get some terpy hits.
Can I ask why you take 12-36 hits per temp step. Do you find that it is healthier on the lungs, rather then maxing out the lungs for a one hitter.
I haven't tried the nano xl with multiple pulls yet, Ill have to try it out with shorter pulls. Im sure it will make the hit more comfortable.

So, I think my practices result in part from being someone who has never vaped with anyone else, and who knows no vapers in person. In addition, I am not so interested in super-speedy results, or in huge clouds for their own sake. And finally, maybe from being raised by someone from the Great Depression (USA economic phenomenon), so I tend to be very frugal, at least about some things.

I look at visible vapor as a sign that I am "blowing away" some Good Stuff™, i.e., cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids (I think these are different?). The idea of taking a huge rip and blowing out huge clouds just strikes me as insane, like taking some fancy liquor and chugging a bottle of it so that most of it runs down your shirt. Why would I want to waste it like that? I still understand the impulse, and when I blow out visible vapor, I still take it as a sign that the device is producing well … I just don't want to waste anything good that I don't have to.

I have to admit, I've never really thought about it from a health perspective (as you suggested): just never really occurred to me. (I think of vaping as so much healthier than the alternatives, and so much better tasting, as being worth it no matter what.)

But I have to say, I really probably developed that insight about wasteful clouds in retrospect. The main thing that happened at the time (or rather kept happening) was that I would find some excuse to lower my temps, reduce my load, temper my tamp (!), quit stirring so much, etc., various little aspects of the process which all converged on a "little, low, and slow" approach. These days, if I stick to regimen, I rarely see any visible vapor … and that's great! The high comes on a bit slower, but is well-established 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the process. And it also still builds in the latter part, and comes to a very nice, consistent crescendo.

I guess another aspect of this all is my recent retirement: I am no longer urgent about much at all, but especially the vaping process: I have plenty of time to spend on it, and to get it as right as possible (at least from my own personal perspective of "right"). I mean, I still occasionally start at a somewhat higher temp, partly when I really don't have as much time, e.g., when I don't have 3 hours to spend before bedtime on getting high. But then again, on most nights (or days!), I have plenty of time. I usually do other things, of course, while vaping: reading, music, etc. But I try to exploit the rhythms and focus in a way that maximizes my goals for the session. Sometimes that means vaping relatively casually while I attend to other things. But I try to focus solely on the flavor experience for at least good parts of most sessions, and for the better part of some (if not all parts of all sessions). And I only have so much attention: I can't really focus on the vape if I am also reading heavier stuff, or reading anything and listening to music at the same time.

(I don't suppose the people who are kayaking, or snowboarding, or flying off mountain sides on bush bikes, really worry too much about and the finer points of the vaping experience: they're interested more in their "main show" and that's of course just fine.)

I suppose some other "special circumstances" contribute to my approach. I live in a small city (about 170K pop.) that has 50+ dispensaries with recreation-legal herb of a huge variety of strains, from many different farms. I keep tabs on dispo inventories with tools like Leafly, Dutchie, and WeedMaps, and I have developed a few shortcuts so that I can quickly run through and see what's new and available at almost all of those stores. (Not to mention occasional side trips to nearby cities, including Portland, which has many, many more shops.)

I haven't tried to count lately, but I am probably 15-20 minutes away from 400+ strain choices; more if you count combos of farm and strain as different.

That level of access, plus the good luck of landing on the E-Nano relatively early (it was my second vape, after the Magic Flight Launch Box), led me to become obsessed (well, in a non-technical sense) with flavor. I had no idea when I got back into cannabis after 25 or so years that I could get such flavors. (Even the MFLB made me realize the potential.) I buy almost exclusively in single grams, in order to maximize the number of different strains I can try. I am constantly bumping up against the limits of my storage system, seeing lots of new strains I want to try and can't justify the purchase of, since I already have so many on hand (about 80 at the moment). I get to sample about 3-6 strains per day, depending on number of sessions (1-2 usually) and different combos of vapes and stems (usually 2-3 Nano stems per session, sometimes a "sidecar" or two in the Lotus, Milaana, Sticky Brick, or the MFLB). But all of that amounts to only about a gram or so per week, and my costs are not that high, partly due to small loads and partly to good prices (I average less than $6 per gram, so something less than a dollar a day over the year).

My only real problems have to do with wanting to Try All The Strains!! (like for Pokemon) and, lately, with some mailing issues (I can't really get mail easily at home now, so hard to order vapes & supplies). I've seen quite a few strains come onto the scene, pique my interest, and then disappear before I have the time and storage situation to justify trying a new one.

But I have also found lots that I love, and would get again if I could. Some are easily available as they seem to be local favorites (like Northern Wreck), or just so well-known and loved more broadly that they can always be found somewhere (e.g. Blue Dream).

OK, back to reality here (not actually medicated at the moment, but perhaps last night's leftovers are still making me a bit over-verbal :lol:).

Regarding temps, Nanos are notoriously difficult to compare, not just because of different models, stems, accessories, etc., but because the device is analog, and so a given temp like "7 on the dial" is likely to be very different on two different Nanos (or so I hear). I almost never go as high as 7 anymore, usually topping out at 6.2 or 6.5 after a pretty long run.

I can't speak to your device or situation, but if you have the time (and that's very much a personal thing), I would recommend trying a long, slow sesh or two, starting at least a full step below your usual (6 instead of 7, or even 5.5). I start around 4.7 these days, higher if I want a faster run. And don't pack too much: even others seem to agree with me that, down to a surprisingly low limit, Less Is More with regard to the flavor you get from a given stem or bowl.

What I notice is that if I start higher, the run will be shorter by about a corresponding amount: so I usually end up at 6.2 or 6.5, even if I start at 5.3 or 5.6 instead of lower. Lower starts can be just a hair "wispy", but are not usually so (and my tastes have adjusted). Higher starts of course have more "oomph" at the beginning … but they run out of good flavor more quickly, "spending" it all at the front, and then they hit that "burned popcorn" flavor.

When I do start higher up, I usually regret it at least a little from a flavor perspective. Sure, I get stronger flavor to start, but not necessarily better, or clearer. And when I start lower, I get a better profile all the way along: less "burned popcorn" toward the end, and more just … I dunno … not "fresh", clear flavor (at the end), and not as distinguishable (can't as easily tell one Jack Herer variant from another), but they are still enjoyable, and vary a bit from strain to strain. (I know this specifically because I put 2-3 strains up "against" each other in these compare-and-contrast sessions.)

Regarding the "multiple pulls/shorter pulls" issue: on the Nano I take only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the pull that I could, if I wanted to hit as hard as possible (at full lung capacity). They're not exactly "sips", at about 15 seconds each, but they are not "heroic" hits that strain my system. (Maybe that's the age & retirement effect again.) And I find that a small amount can last a looong time in terms of number of hits, if you start low enough on the temp dial.

OK, I've gone off again—sorry about that! :lol::rolleyes: But I urge you to try those lower temps and lighter loads, at least if you have the time for it.

cannasoor,
Reactions: EzE 23
Top Bottom