eNail Magic - make your eNail smarter!

JCat

Accessory Maker
eNail Magic is a device I've been working on (1st prototype phase), that sits between your e-Nail controller and your coil, and allows one to run profiles (or scripts) with various steps that turn on/off your e-Nail coil based on temperature thresholds and delays.

This allows one to press a button to start a script, and then it does all the work for you to run complex down-temp procedures to optimize your dabbing experience!

My motivation behind this is I was getting really tired of having to manage the on/off of the coil switch to do various types of modified down-temps with my D-Nail Halo and VROD, as well as I found it was difficult to coordinate and definitely greatly increased the risk of an accident! (ie. burning myself or something else!)

In comes eNail Magic! This is a first revision, so one has to edit the scripts/profiles by editing a JSON file with a JSON or text editor, and there isn't a screen yet on the device (if you want to access the screen you need to ssh into the console) since I didn't have one on hand ... should have a screen added by next week :)

I will also likely be implementing a full Advanced eNail using an Omron E5CC for a base (a version w/ the required communication protocols) so that my application/hardware can enhance an existing quality PID as opposed to re-invent the wheel. I believe this will get the best of both worlds. Industrial quality PID control with the advanced/cool features we all want in our eNails :) One will be able to automatically set PID profiles as well in this scenario (ie. set P/I/D values for different nails etc.)

Anyways ... I've had it plugged in since last night ... and I'm already wondering what I ever did without it!!! :lol:

Here's a video with some demonstration and discussion.

Current Implementation:
  • Right now, the only interface is the rotary dial, which you rotate to pick the profile (it flashes blue the # of times to indicate the profile # since there isn't a screen yet :)
  • When one "clicks" the dial in, it runs the profile, the feedback in the profile is through the RGB light patterns that can be controlled through the script.
  • The console, which currently shows what will be on the LCD/screen, displays the current profile, the current temperature, and an "icon" for the running step in the script if the script is running (and shows some stuff in red right now to indicate a script is running)
  • You can cancel the running script by clicking the rotary dial a 2nd time
  • 4 Step types allowed in a script
    • Temperature Step: runs until a temperature threshold is reached in a certain direction
    • Time Step: runs a delay of [n] seconds
    • LED Step: activates an RGB LED pattern
    • Switch Step: turns the coil on/off
Features coming in the next week or two:
  • Mobile app to run scripts, see enhanced user interface, and edit profiles/steps
  • Mobile app will use Bluetooth to communicate initially (I chose this network based as it doesn't require knowledge of the networks to work ... the Bluetooth communication will allow one to configure/view the network information as well). Bluetooth is a little more complex to implement, but I believe is worth it for these types of devices/applications.
  • LCD or OLED display to show current profile, status, current step, current temp, etc.
Long/Mid Term Features:
  • http/https communication as well for app (maybe not required)
  • full e-Nail (eNail Magic Complete?)
Ideas for profiles/scripts and enhancements are very much welcome :)

Current code is open source, and I'll be publishing the schematics for it as well I believe ... it's not 100% open source though ... I've published it using the Creative Commons Non-Commercial 4.0 (CC-BY-NC-4.0) ... ie. you can freely use it for your own projects, or for educational purposes, and can freely modify, but you can't use for any commercial projects, as the code base (and idea) is owned by me.

ViCKi LEEKX

Fuck Vaporizer Combustion
Great ideas and neat project! I’m most excited by the prospect of a combo unit with the Omron E5CC (or two to support two outputs if it works with your stuff).

Any thoughts about implementing an API later on when the project stabilizes?

I’m dreaming of being able to automate a smart-home environment for relaxation:
  • - / + the temperature on the programmable thermostat (e.g. Nest)
  • dim and color/temperature shift the LED lighting in the house (e.g. Hue bulbs)
  • stream a playlist of choice to audio setup and / or power on TV and tune to favorite input or channel
  • power on PID controller and set to temperature, then gradually roll through an uptemp flower script over the course of a bowl
  • power off all the things at desired time intervals for peace / safety
Thread watched AF! :razz:

ViCKi LEEKX,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Great ideas and neat project! I’m most excited by the prospect of a combo unit with the Omron E5CC (or two to support two outputs if it works with your stuff).

Any thoughts about implementing an API later on when the project stabilizes?

I’m dreaming of being able to automate a smart-home environment for relaxation:
  • - / + the temperature on the programmable thermostat (e.g. Nest)
  • dim and color/temperature shift the LED lighting in the house (e.g. Hue bulbs)
  • stream a playlist of choice to audio setup and / or power on TV and tune to favorite input or channel
  • power on PID controller and set to temperature, then gradually roll through an uptemp flower script over the course of a bowl
  • power off all the things at desired time intervals for peace / safety
Thread watched AF! :razz:
Yeah .. could definitely add an API and support for known smart home stuff. I haven't looked into it yet, but I imagine I would just need to implement the right interfaces and expose the right http/https endpoints and then the smart home ecosystem you have would be able to talk to it ...

ViCKi LEEKX

Fuck Vaporizer Combustion
Yeah .. could definitely add an API and support for known smart home stuff. I haven't looked into it yet, but I imagine I would just need to implement the right interfaces and expose the right http/https endpoints and then the smart home ecosystem you have would be able to talk to it ...
You’ll have plenty of options since you’re planning on offering a mobile app!

If you develop your apps for each mobile platform to communicate via a common API that you define, accessible via standardized protocols, it could aid in making your code base easier to maintain cross-platform. At the same time it allows you to abstract and expose whichever pieces you’d like for 3rd party integration.

Tasker for Android has long been an example of a tool that can be used by developers and power users to automate workflows made up of steps that can be achieved by calls to the OS to control hardware state (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.) as well as parsing common object formats like JSON.

It’s for sure only an idea to consider considering - definiely not a demand! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

ViCKi LEEKX,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
The bluetooth LE is a standard protocol, and one can interface with my documented methods that way for one ...

The HTTP/HTTPS stack will use Socket.IO, and this will also use open standards ... integration will definitely be feasible at some point :)

(Busy working on the mobile app right now though ... the bluetooth sucks to implement as the dev experience is brutal in cordova for this piece as it doesn't allow debugging ... might do a React Native one too though at some point ...)

Think I got almost all the bluetooth stack complete in the client though ... finished the server side yesterday

Top Bottom