Egypt could fall..........

bcleez

Another disturbing news note is that some of these Egyptians are destroying ancient artifacts and relics. Pretty upsetting.

Its even more upsetting how many people are influence by fox news. I hate at work when I go to the copier and I see that someone printed off some bogus fear mongering article.

bcleez,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Yeah that is sad about the loss of ancient artifacts due to fire spreading. Those should have been flown out of the country instead of all the wealthy :lol:

aesthyrian,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Here's something I didn't know. I attribute this directly to Fareed Zakaria from CNN.

"Under the Egyptian constitution, if Mubarak resigns, it immediately triggers a new election within 60 days. And in the midst of everything that is going on in Egypt, that is not the ideal solution."

So if Mubarak resigns, say within 2 days, by April 3rd there is going to be a new election. And that means whichever political group is best organized will likely end up controlling the country. Call me a pessimist, but I think it would end up being the Muslim Brotherhood. Throw Jordan into this and Israel starts to look pretty lonely.

I bet the Saudi royal family is pretty nervous right now.

Tom

tdavie,

stuartambient

tdavie said:
Here's something I didn't know. I attribute this directly to Fareed Zakaria from CNN.

"Under the Egyptian constitution, if Mubarak resigns, it immediately triggers a new election within 60 days. And in the midst of everything that is going on in Egypt, that is not the ideal solution."

So if Mubarak resigns, say within 2 days, by April 3rd there is going to be a new election. And that means whichever political group is best organized will likely end up controlling the country. Call me a pessimist, but I think it would end up being the Muslim Brotherhood. Throw Jordan into this and Israel starts to look pretty lonely.

I bet the Saudi royal family is pretty nervous right now.

Tom

Everyone , well at least the news is caught up in the "muslim brotherhood" taking over when this guy Mohamed ElBaradei is connected to some interesting groups and people. http://www.crisisgroup.org/en/about/board.aspx

Too bad the people of Egypt are mainly getting played in this bloodbath and chaos.

Stuart

stuartambient,

Pappy

shmaporist
Hosni betta smoke some Afghani and walk off into the sunset while he still has two legs. :uhoh: :peace:

Pappy,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
He says he wants to die on Egyptian soil.... I think he'll get his wish, but much sooner than he anticipated.

Stu,

lwien

Considering how fucking old he is, you'd think he'd just say fuck it and leave. :cool:

lwien,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
This is just like the former mayor of my town. He had been recalled once before, (then reelected) and was known for making 'bad decisions' and being a blatant racist.

He got to the point of this clown as well and his mentality was 'Im not stepping down, you have to MAKE me step down'. So our town spent a bunch of $$$ for a recall, then even more for a special election.

People that get that saturated with power and that full of themselves just friggin disgust me.

AGBeer,

reece

Pappy said:
I agree it's a secular revolution but Hosni is overplaying a pair of deuces.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to get it. But to be fair, why should he? This has been working for him for 30 some odd years. I guess he didn't count on the people waking up and recognizing their true power.

reece,

Plotinus

lwien said:
Considering how fucking old he is, you'd think he'd just say fuck it and leave. :cool:

I was wondering this as well. It might be an unintended consequence of international law getting more effective in the past decade or so.

If this were the 70s or 80s, he could probably hop on a plane to Paris or Luxembourg and never have to answer to anyone. These days, though, newly independent countries have a lot more power to demand extradition for dictators, not to mention a lot of effective avenues for recovering stolen assets.

If Mubarak were to leave today, he might escape with his freedom, but he and his family would probably be penniless (not to mention hunted by any number of international law enforcement agencies.)

Plotinus,

bcleez

Plotinus you are wrong, nothing has changed. He would load up his gold bars transfer his money and take off, he has foreign accounts and property all over the world. I am sure a country would proved him with money just to leave. Then he would get a book deal and do speaking engagements.

http://bltwy.msnbc.msn.com/politics/mubarak-and-the-billionaires-club-9429.gallery?photoId=37364

he is a multi billionare

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/egyp...ulated-wealth-days-military/story?id=12821073

thought to be worth 40-70 billion.

bcleez,

Pappy

shmaporist
reece said:
Pappy said:
I agree it's a secular revolution but Hosni is overplaying a pair of deuces.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to get it. But to be fair, why should he? This has been working for him for 30 some odd years. I guess he didn't count on the people waking up and recognizing their true power.
Plus he older than fucking Methuselah! Maybe he got Waldheimer's disease? :cool:

Pappy,

lwien

bcleez said:
....thought to be worth 40-70 billion.

Wow. 84 years old and worth 40-70 BILLION dollars and he won't fucking leave? :o My bags would have been fucking packed days ago and I'd be goin'...........CYA !! :wave:

lwien,

lwien

Ya know, with all of the agression shown by the pro-Mabarik crowd, what is really emerging today is the amazing empathy and cooperation going on between the anti-government protesters. People coming in with food, and sharing it with others even though they themselves have very little. For me anyways, the spirit, kindness and genuine caring for not only their fellow Egyptians but for foreigners, be they journalists or tourists, is pretty fucking inspiring.

Christian Egyptians protecting and helping Muslim Egyptians and visa versa. There is a lesson to be learned here.

The pro-government idiots are a whole other story.

lwien,

OC513

Dabaholic
lwien said:
bcleez said:
....thought to be worth 40-70 billion.

Wow. 84 years old and worth 40-70 BILLION dollars and he won't fucking leave? :o My bags would have been fucking packed days ago and I'd be goin'...........CYA !! :wave:
Exactly. Not sure what his thought process is here....your family is set financially for generations and then some.....your 84 years old, walk off into the sunset. I guess the power really is that addictive. :/

OC513,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
lwien said:
Christian Egyptians protecting and helping Muslim Egyptians and visa versa. There is a lesson to be learned here.

The pro-government idiots are a whole other story.

Totally. That's a beautiful thing to see in this world, and even in events such as this and the Tucson shooting you can still witness amazing acts of pure human courage and compassion. That's great to see Christians and Muslims protecting each other while they pray. Like you said, a huge lesson is to be learned by us all and the young Egyptians are teaching us right now.

aesthyrian,

Gunky

It's kind of amazing, isn't it? The future of a huge, populous country with all sorts of sophisticated armaments is being decided by combat involving rocks, wooden shields, and some horses and a couple camels!

Gunky,

lwien

Gunky said:
It's kind of amazing, isn't it? The future of a huge, populous country with all sorts of sophisticated armaments is being decided by combat involving rocks, wooden shields, and some horses and a couple camels!

Huh? Do you really believe that the future of Egypt is being decided by these pro government thugs or even by the clashes that happened yesterday by the opposing sides? I see those as just unfortunate sidetracks.

What DOES have an enormous impact is the will, courage and compassion of the Egyptian people, above and beyond rocks, wooden shields and camels.

lwien,

Gunky

lwien said:
Gunky said:

Huh? Do you really believe that the future of Egypt is being decided by these pro government thugs or even by the clashes that happened yesterday by the opposing sides? I see those as just unfortunate sidetracks.

What DOES have an enormous impact is the will, courage and compassion of the Egyptian people, above and beyond rocks, wooden shields and camels.

I don't know how much you have been following it but the clashes in the square are very significant. The Egyptians view these as battles in their revolution.

OK, somebody get a stepladder so Lwien can get down off there!

Gunky,

lwien

Gunky said:
lwien said:
Gunky said:

I don't know how much you have been following it but the clashes in the square are very significant. The Egyptians view these as battles in their revolution.

OK, somebody get a stepladder so Lwien can get down off there!

I've been watching it a LOT. I just think that there are a helluva lot more important and game changing things going on here than the skirmishes between pro and anti government protesters.

I think the future of their country is being decided by their peaceful courage to protest and that the attack on them by pro-government forces was nothing more than a diversion and is not something that they look at with pride, but rather look at with disdain and embarrassment that it ever happened in the first place.

But hey, we all got different perspectives on this. Hell, I just got finished watching Fox News and their perspective differs from mine also.

btw, I HATE stepladders. Afraid of heights. Weird. Get me on a chair lift or an airplane, or sailplane and I'm perfectly fine. Get me 3 feet off the ground on a stepladder and I start shakin'. So yeah, if anyone sees me on a stepladder, please help me get down. :/

lwien,
Top Bottom