Economic starter vape to quit cigarettes?

Adobewan

I imagine this has been covered(multiple times?) but due to new vapes hitting the market all the time, I thought I might ask fresh, but please steer me to a similar thread and delete this if it's redundant.

I have family in tobacco country that I believe could quit combusting if they had good vaporizers. I've made the case for loose tobacco and a vape, have gifted a couple of OG Flowermates as well as a Solo and an OG Inhalator to good results, but I've since thought the form factor of a something like a Vapcap would be so much easier for a cigarette smoker.
There are many of them to convince though, and the biggest stumbling block I've run into is the price of a good vape. They can't see justifying $100 or more when their cigarettes are already so expensive.

I'm not a tobacco user myself but I imagine the dream vape in this case would be a cigarette shape/sized vape, that keeps going for 5-10 mins, that's under $50, like a Vapcap with a larger chamber(?).
I realize there is a price for innovation in this flowering market so this is unlikely, but thought it worth investigating.

Any suggestions from the collective would be appreciated.

Adobewan,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Xmax V2 Pro is $68 after 15% code puffedup at puffitup.com

I prefer a VapCap M if you're cool using a butane torch for each hit.

This kind of question does come around repeatedly and it's similar to guitars and bikes where folks just have an idea of what they'd like to spend without being familiar with the landscape.

If you were someone I knew in real life I'd talk you up into a Fury 2 for $130 with some free glass accessories at the HealthyRips site. This is also typical: getting responses that are way over your budget. I give myself a pass because the <$100 vape options are lame.

So yeah, start with a VapCap M.

Adobewan

VapCap is the most preferred method to quit smoking.
Xmax V2 Pro is $68 after 15% code puffedup at puffitup.com

I prefer a VapCap M if you're cool using a butane torch for each hit.

This kind of question does come around repeatedly and it's similar to guitars and bikes where folks just have an idea of what they'd like to spend without being familiar with the landscape.

If you were someone I knew in real life I'd talk you up into a Fury 2 for $130 with some free glass accessories at the HealthyRips site. This is also typical: getting responses that are way over your budget. I give myself a pass because the <$100 vape options are lame.

So yeah, start with a VapCap M.
Did not realize the Vapcap M was so inexpensive, that's really going to be a step forward for the folks back east. Thanks loads guys!

Skunkport

It's probably not going to work. Temperature is the thing, if you look at the ethnobotanicals thread different herbs all have different vaporization temperatures.

The Philips IQOS heat-not-burn thing works at 350c but does char the tobacco so that is probably around combustion level for it.

Tobacco does start releasing nicotine around 160c so it will give some effect, but there's also quite a lot of bad stuff released, less than smoke but worse than vapor.
Not much nicotine released either within normal weed vaping temps.

Table 4
Percentage of water, nicotine and three TSNAS released at the different temperatures against their levels in the tobacco sample

Tobacco Heating Temperature (°C)
120 140 160 180 200
Water released (%) 13 15 22 20 25 29
Nicotine released (%) - - - 3 7 9
NNN released (%) 0.8 1.4 2.4 1.9 1.5 1.9
NNK released (%) 1.6 2.1 4.0 3.0 3.3 1.6
NAT released (%) 0.3 0.5 0.9 0.7 1.0 2.8

The levels of other analytes also increased gradually with rising temperature, including acetaldehyde (120 to 200°C), crotonaldehyde (180 to 200°C), formaldehyde (180 to 200°C), acetone (160 to 200°C), butyraldehyde (140 to 200°C), methyl ethyl ketone (180 to 200°C) and propionaldehyde (160 to 200°C).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4418098/

C No Ego

I imagine this has been covered(multiple times?) but due to new vapes hitting the market all the time, I thought I might ask fresh, but please steer me to a similar thread and delete this if it's redundant.

I have family in tobacco country that I believe could quit combusting if they had good vaporizers. I've made the case for loose tobacco and a vape, have gifted a couple of OG Flowermates as well as a Solo and an OG Inhalator to good results, but I've since thought the form factor of a something like a Vapcap would be so much easier for a cigarette smoker.
There are many of them to convince though, and the biggest stumbling block I've run into is the price of a good vape. They can't see justifying $100 or more when their cigarettes are already so expensive.

I'm not a tobacco user myself but I imagine the dream vape in this case would be a cigarette shape/sized vape, that keeps going for 5-10 mins, that's under $50, like a Vapcap with a larger chamber(?).
I realize there is a price for innovation in this flowering market so this is unlikely, but thought it worth investigating.

Any suggestions from the collective would be appreciated.
an old fashioned iolite only runs @ 375 F so would be ideal for loose tobacco or pips tobacco . the parts get sticky though and will need cleaning just as any device will

C No Ego,
Reactions: Adobewan

Adobewan

It's probably not going to work. Temperature is the thing, if you look at the ethnobotanicals thread different herbs all have different vaporization temperatures.

The Philips IQOS heat-not-burn thing works at 350c but does char the tobacco so that is probably around combustion level for it.

Tobacco does start releasing nicotine around 160c so it will give some effect, but there's also quite a lot of bad stuff released, less than smoke but worse than vapor.
Not much nicotine released either within normal weed vaping temps.

Table 4
Percentage of water, nicotine and three TSNAS released at the different temperatures against their levels in the tobacco sample

Tobacco Heating Temperature (°C)
120 140 160 180 200
Water released (%) 13 15 22 20 25 29
Nicotine released (%) - - - 3 7 9
NNN released (%) 0.8 1.4 2.4 1.9 1.5 1.9
NNK released (%) 1.6 2.1 4.0 3.0 3.3 1.6
NAT released (%) 0.3 0.5 0.9 0.7 1.0 2.8

The levels of other analytes also increased gradually with rising temperature, including acetaldehyde (120 to 200°C), crotonaldehyde (180 to 200°C), formaldehyde (180 to 200°C), acetone (160 to 200°C), butyraldehyde (140 to 200°C), methyl ethyl ketone (180 to 200°C) and propionaldehyde (160 to 200°C).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4418098/

That's discouraging, but thanks for the informative share @Skunkport. Really bums me out though.

an old fashioned iolite only runs @ 375 F so would be ideal for loose tobacco or pips tobacco . the parts get sticky though and will need cleaning just as any device will
Ahhh, the old Iolite, the vape that turned me from combustion to vaping.
If this old friend can help, I'll be doubly thankful for it in my life!

C No Ego

That's discouraging, but thanks for the informative share @Skunkport. Really bums me out though.

Ahhh, the old Iolite, the vape that turned me from combustion to vaping.
If this old friend can help, I'll be doubly thankful for it in my life!
I'm not sure @ aht level the company is at now... a few years back they were going to add temp control but not sure if it happened... But, is 375 to hot for tobacco ?

C No Ego,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I dont know if you aware that that IQOS shit is total scam.. It is basicly tobacco infused with e-cig liquid.. So you get can get "the worst of both worlds.." IMO one is better off doing just e-liquid or even might try to substitute the nic with CBD in the run.
My personal advise is not substitute one habbit with another. Break the chain, sweat it up lol, whatever you need to do it ,it will be much easier that trying to trick your mind with substitutes.
Maybe you can look up some tobacoo addiction studies ,there some that show that people are more addicted to the ritual(thx to the Pavlorian reflexes) and to the taste than to the Nicotine.
In my country there was a study in which raw tobacco cigarettes were given to a group of smokers who wanted to quit smoking, as a substitute to the regulars..90% of them gave up on smoking them,which adds further weight to the theory that taste is one of the main reasons.
Some people find e-cig liquids delicious, to me they just taste inorganic.. and i would put that trough my lungs ever.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

Adobewan

I dont know if you aware that that IQOS shit is total scam.. It is basicly tobacco infused with e-cig liquid.. So you get can get "the worst of both worlds.." IMO one is better off doing just e-liquid or even might try to substitute the nic with CBD in the run.
My personal advise is not substitute one habbit with another. Break the chain, sweat it up lol, whatever you need to do it ,it will be much easier that trying to trick your mind with substitutes.
Maybe you can look up some tobacoo addiction studies ,there some that show that people are more addicted to the ritual(thx to the Pavlorian reflexes) and to the taste than to the Nicotine.
In my country there was a study in which raw tobacco cigarettes were given to a group of smokers who wanted to quit smoking, as a substitute to the regulars..90% of them gave up on smoking them,which adds further weight to the theory that taste is one of the main reasons.
Some people find e-cig liquids delicious, to me they just taste inorganic.. and i would put that trough my lungs ever.
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know about the IQOS!
Cold turkey quitting does not seem to be happening with these peeps. Even in the face of lung disease, and loss of friends and family. I quit cold turkey many years ago, but I've heard many more stories of failure than success.

Regarding switching to just e-juice, I've tried that route, but some folks suffer throat irritation from it(which surprised me). Unfortunately this is in conservative tobacco country, I don't think CBD oil would be easy to find.

I think the "addicted to the ritual" findings make sense, and to that end, wouldn't the Vapcap solution we've discussed here, cover the cigarette smoking ritual, as well as provide the flavor the smokers crave?

Totally agree about the e-juice taste and aversion to vaping it!

Adobewan,
Top Bottom