eCigarettes Shot Down?

PerseusStoned

Hey everybody,

I'm not sure if you've been following vaporizer news but it looks like the recent eCigarettes have been shot down as delivering "little to no nicotine". This is very disappointing, because a solid vaporizer market would only be good for us as quality and price would improve. However, I found the article a little disturbing. I, personally, know people who have started using those in place of their 10-year habit and have successfully been vaporizing and getting nicotine.

Contributed to the shadiness of this article is the many, many comments which seem to go many ways. Most of the comments are people who have been life-time smokers and converted to Cigs; they attest to its abilities and nicotine deliveries. Some of the comments are from people saying that one, or some, of the eCigarette companies are probably making accounts just to post dissent. A few of the comments speak at a deeper issue however.

If eCigarettes get big, there will doubtless be less tax money going to the state as they are a substitute good for cigarettes. Additionally the tobacco companies, while on the fall, are still very much in political power. Finally, the University where this study has been conducted is currently on tobacco payroll... All of this is very interesting. Let me know what you guys thing.

The Article
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/08/e.cigarette/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Google's first result for "vcu philip morris" (the university and head professor, respectively)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/u...bfcfa5f82361&ei=5124&partner=digg&exprod=digg

PerseusStoned,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Perseus... I am among those who are no longer smoking but am using the e-cigs....for about 7 months. They do give you nicotine but you also exhale and waste a lot of nicotine. The user is in control of how much they use and believe me you can tell if you've had too much nic LOL! I'm actually weaning myself down but I am sure that nicotine is delivered with these devices.

There are a few groups out there trying to keep e-cigs legal, get more scientific studies done, etc.

The FDA was recently shot down by a judge on their position on the e-cigs. There is a lot of studies that need to be done but there is clear cut information showing that e-cigs are not as harmful as smoking. The FDA's motion was torn apart by the judge thankfully but of course there is an appeal in underway.

You can visit www.vapersforum.com and go to the news/campaign section to read the latest news as well as the medical section for links to studies on the subject. Spikey, the woman who runs the site is trying very hard to protect the right to vape (she uses no nicotine liquid herself). She's a major activist and with help is putting out information to legislators, etc.

I personally am very thankful for these personal vaporizing devices and have seen lab results from folks showing health improvements since their switch from smoking. I've also talked with more than a couple doctors that all agree the e-cigs are helping people quit smoking. My own doctor is thrilled that I'm no longer smoking anything. He's even on board with me vaping my herbs ;)

Lo,

PerseusStoned

lo said:
...snip...There are a few groups out there trying to keep e-cigs legal, get more scientific studies done, etc.

The FDA was recently shot down by a judge on their position on the e-cigs. There is a lot of studies that need to be done but there is clear cut information showing that e-cigs are not as harmful as smoking. The FDA's motion was torn apart by the judge thankfully but of course there is an appeal in underway.

You can visit www.vapersforum.com and go to the news/campaign section to read the latest news as well as the medical section for links to studies on the subject. ...snip...
lo, thank you so much for your contributions. Lots of very interesting information here. I'm just curious as why this market seems to be getting so much bogus pressure on it; it seems a financial matter, but its odd to me that more scientists are weighing in in favor of vaporization. As you mentioned, seems a lot of personal doctors are quite happy with it. Good to hear there are those in judicial systems still fighting the good fight though.

brandonflav said:
...snip...I can't even see how there is an argument that these deliver nicotine poorly. When I ordered my nicotine juice I was afraid it wouldn't be strong enough so I got the strongest one on the market at the time; it was so strong it reminded me of when I first started smoking, it got me more then buzzed but less then fucked up.

How much money I saved was sweet too. I spent like $50-75 to make my father and I each an e-cig, got 5 bottles of liq-nic, batteries and chargers, and a bunch of atomizers...snip...
brandonflav, thanks as well. I had a brief stint as a smoker in middle school, but haven't gone back to cigarettes since (I'll admit I smoke a black clove cigarette every year or so). Your personal testament just seems to strike me that there is very much something wrong with the article published. Its good that these e-cigs are so effective.

PerseusStoned,

Lo

FDA, Big Pharma, Big Tobacco & $$$$ is what it's really all about for them... for us common folk - we're just trying to quit the cigs. We're also not paying any tobacco taxes which makes some folks unhappy!

Lo,
After a bunch of research, and a lot of thinking about how much I wanted to quit, I ordered an ecig package from the internet. This was a little over 2 weeks ago. I have been cigarette free since my package arrived in the mail two weeks ago.
Since that time, I have also completely switched over to vaping my herbs instead of combustion. I bought 2 vaporizers within 2 weeks and am in love with both of them. I am looking forward towards the inevitable third. I probably wouldn't have started vaping if I hadn't switched over from "analog" cigarettes. The mind works in funny ways.
My lungs have not felt this good in almost a decade. Ecigs and vaporizers have changed my life, and to believe that there are people out there trying to ban these things has me shaking my head as to what their motivations are. I hope freedom comes out on top in the end.
- S.L.

SkeletonLips,

Lo

Nice Skeleton!! Congratulations as well! Your story is similar to mine and how I found my way here.

If you want to help protect your right to use an e-cig please do go to the vapersforum.com site I mentioned above and sign up for email action list for your state. They would then email you if things were happening in your area. They have groups in the US as well as other side of pond as this is an international debate. Also there is a metric ton of info on the metric ton models of e-cigs out there :) Happy Vaping and welcome to FC :D

You can read more about some of the legal stuff here as well:
http://vapersclub.com/legal.html

Lo,
Top Bottom