Eating ABV. Any way to curb what it does to my tummy?

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
I love eating my ABV and the benefits I get from it (pain relief and sedation). I usually just sprinkle it on PB toast. It can really mess with my stomach though. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'd like to possible try coconut oil for pills.

Poostuff

Please delete
I'd be interested too. I've never been able to digest anything properly with either herb, ABV or extracts. Seems to sit in my stomach & cause acid reflux.
My problem is I've always had stupid sensitive digestion & it makes sense that edibles would help, vaping does, but unfortunately even with coconut oil/lecithin mix they don't go down well.
I'm wondering if people still make tinctures & if can you cook with those.
Banana is a good suggestion @CarolKing but sometimes consuming fruit after a meal or snack can make your indigestion worse. Fruit before a meal is fine & bitter herbs like dandelion root are also great.
Avoiding it completely would be even better, I'm open to other ideas.

MinnBobber

I usually just sprinkle it on PB toast. It can really mess with my stomach though. Is there any way to solve this problem
.....................................................................................
I sometimes eat ABV mixed with honey and peanut butter, warmed in microwave. Luckily it doesn't take much for me but eating that much "green grass" is still hard on the tummy---unless you're a cow :)

Simmering ABV on low heat with coconut oil, straining out the most of the plant material, and then using coconut oil is far easier on the tummy.
You cannot squeeze all the oil out so you do lose some but for you, probably worth the extra effort.

Madcap79

I usually eat no more than a tablespoon of ABV. I feel good for most of the day. I've simmered ABV in half and half and put about the same amount in coffee. That might have been worse on my stomach. Maybe I'll try the coconut oil. It's just so convenient to eat it straight. Haha.

I usually eat no more than a tablespoon of ABV. I feel good for most of the day. I've simmered ABV in half and half and put about the same amount in coffee. That might have been worse on my stomach. Maybe I'll try the coconut oil. It's just so convenient to eat it straight. Haha.
If I was you I would avoid eating the plant material. Perhaps separate it into coconut oil and retain only the goodies. It really fucks with my stomach as well.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The gases in a ripe banana helps with indigestion and heartburn. That isn't all that much ABV. @lwien sprinkles it on his oatmeal.

What put me out of commission for 18 hours once was an ABV peanut butter/chocolate milkshake. ABV can be a crippler.

Madcap79

If I'm simmering in a crockpot, can i just pour reclaim iso into the mix? Will it boil out?

Edit: I have 14g of ABV barely covered with coconut oil and simmering in a water bath in my crockpot on low. might try it out tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Madcap79,
Reactions: Rave88

Rave88

If I'm simmering in a crockpot, can i just pour reclaim iso into the mix? Will it boil out?

Edit: I have 14g of ABV barely covered with coconut oil and simmering in a water bath in my crockpot on low. might try it out tomorrow. Wish me luck!
please do, and let us know for how long you kept it on the stove.

Sounds like you're having fun!

I'm also about to play with some finely powdered AVB, dont have a whole lot like 14g, but I have enough for maybe a muffin? :lol:

Rave88,
Reactions: Madcap79

Jethro

My guess is that yes, reclaim has been decarbed by heat, it would extract well into a crockpot cook. I make crockpot butter a lot but I think it would have to be a lot of reclaim to make me think about crockpotting it. I'm guessing, but yes, my thoughts are it will work good. Please report back!

CarolKing, yes ABV can DESTROY you! I got so sideways from chocolate chip cookies I couldn't walk one time. Vaping is such a more efficient way of using flower than smoking it. You have all this ABV to completely extract everything from the plant. I love it!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I have soooo much ABV saved up. I have been temped to buy the 150 proof Vodka or higher if I can find it. Put like a huge amount in the alcohol (as much as I can fit). Let it sit in a dark place or in the freezer for 6 weeks or so and see what kind of tincture I can come up with.

I have the Mag Butter Maker but I want to try the cold method. Using ABV if it didn't turn out it wouldn't be a big deal. Before I do it I will read up on it.

Jethro

Good idea! Please do and update with results! I think I can get Everclear here in NH if I order it... what would you do with the tincture? Just add to anything you are eating or drinking? Or a little drop on it's own?

Jethro,

Madcap79

Didn't throw in the Iso with reclaim in it as I used a mason jar with a lid so the Iso would have nowhere to go. Strained the oil this morning. Got maybe 1/4 cup of oil. I licked my utensils and I have a mild body buzz. Nice and mellow. I was thinking of making brownies and adding the modest amount of kief I have to the mix. Or would it be better to just knock off a tsp or so and eat it straight? Open to opinions. Thanks. I'm not really sure how potent the oil is.....

Madcap79,

Jethro

If you add kief I would decarb it first! I think it makes a difference. Even though you add heat while cooking I believe there is a difference between wet and dry decarbing. I wouldn't cook the kief without vaping it first. At least lightly. Or put on a piece of alum. foil and put in oven at 275 for 15-20 minutes first. Just my opinion FWIW probably works great either way.

Jethro,

Madcap79

Yeah, I was hoping it could decarb while the brownies baked. My only concern is, if I make the brownies without the kief it may not be potent enough. At the same time, the kief I have isn't terribly much, so I don't know how much punch it would add anyway. I also don't want them to be too much. This is how my brain works. Like it's life or death and I don't wanna fuck it up. Haha. Sigh....

It's only a little ABV, not sure why I care so much. Anyway, I'm rambling....

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I was thinking of making brownies and adding the modest amount of kief I have to the mix. Or would it be better to just knock off a tsp or so and eat it straight? Open to opinions. Thanks.
I think the kief decarbs as you cook the brownies. I've added it in the past and had very strong results. I think I added about 1 Tablespoon to a packaged brownie mix. But here's an important tip... Add the kief to the oil and mix it well before adding it to the mix. I didn't and there were pockets of kief in the batter. As a result, some brownies didn't do so much and others were like LSD. I was off edibles for 3 years because of them.

MinnBobber

I'll put in my vote for decarbing kief. But, the key temp to stay below is about 246 F or you'll be losing some goodies.
Most decarb instructions say kief takes less time to decarb than bud. I would do 220 or 225 for an hour in the oven first.
Bud/flowers need to be decarbed before using in brownies and kief is no different in that it has not been exposed to high temps to decarb it.
I think for max effect, you need to be certain and decarb first.

Sounds like others may disagree.

MinnBobber,
Reactions: KidFated.

Madcap79

I was planning to do that because I was worried about uneven doses. Would you happen to know how long they can be stored? I want to make the brownies now but want to save some for when my brother visits.

Well, the brownies bake at 350 but probably for not enough time to convert the goodies.

I have soooo much ABV saved up. I have been temped to buy the 150 proof Vodka or higher if I can find it. Put like a huge amount in the alcohol (as much as I can fit). Let it sit in a dark place or in the freezer for 6 weeks or so and see what kind of tincture I can come up with.

I have the Mag Butter Maker but I want to try the cold method. Using ABV if it didn't turn out it wouldn't be a big deal. Before I do it I will read up on it.

I just did a small batch with ABV with 180 proof, 10g abv watercured 6 days 4oz everclear let sit 3.5 weeks, strain and let the alcohol evaporate off to around half of what it was.

Still tasted like ass, almost sweet but still gross. Roughly half a shot got me pretty medicated after 1-1.5 hours, couch lock and sleepy mainly but my body felt good. After a good nap I've come to the conclusion that this is night time stuff! I'm going to go for a 10 day watercure this time to see if it lightens the tincture and lessens the taste. It was bearable but lingered a little, I may let the next batch evaporate more and buy some dropper bottles. I was familiar with the process with fresh flower but this was my first batch with abv. I had been making qwiso and firecrackers with it before but I believe this is more effective albeit time consuming.

Anyways OP, watercuring has helped me in both cooking and tinctures with taste and the occasional unsettling feeling on my stomach. I've also started two abv stashes, one lighter one darker, use each accordingly.

nondarb,
Top Bottom