LazyVaper

First question: anyone using some kind of case for their Nano and accessories? I've read through 500 pages of the thread now, and only seen one or two mentions of a case. I know the Pelican (or similar hard shell) cases seem to be fairly popular. Any other suggestions? What size of case are people using for their Nano? I mainly want something quick and convenient for moving the Nano from its "hiding place" out to where I use it, but more structured/secure than a box. I have an extra cotton bag that comes with the Nano, but it's a bit cramped once the cable, two stems, pick, etc is all stuffed in there. My ideal case would be just big enough for the Nano, cord, up to four stems, GonG, spare screens, E-Pick, ABV bag, and grinder.

Now, about the cable...

If you ever figure out the cloth covered adapter, let me know. I have always thought that nano would benefit from having a thinner, more flexible cord.

I spent a little time yesterday searching for such a cable, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted.

Just to give a little background: the connector that plugs into the Nano is an IEC 3270 C7. It is often simply referred to as C7, or sometimes called a "figure eight" connector. Google "IEC C7" for lots of examples.

The cord that comes with the Nano is 18 gauge, typically written 18AWG (AWG = American Wire Gauge). With wire gauges, the smaller the number, the bigger the wire. So 22AWG wire would be smaller than the stock cable, and 24AWG would be smaller still. In this application, we want stranded wire (i.e. a bunch of really small wires bound together) rather than solid core.

Lastly, the stock dimmer device is a Zing Ear ZE-04 (says so right on the case). I don't believe there's anything special about this, just a standard AC "dimmer" circuit.

So... I think we can quite safely get away with 22AWG wire. What we need is a two-conductor cable. In the brief time I spent looking, I wasn't able to find two-conductor 22AWG cable with a single cloth covering. But I found plenty of single conductor 22AWG wires covered in cloth---just do a search for "guitar cable". If you give up the cloth-covering requirement, then there are countless options.

I think the quick, easy and cheap way to address the cable issue is to find a 22AWG IEC C7 cable. Here's one I found on ebay, and here's one I found on Amazon. What you would do here is cut off the non-Nano end (i.e. the end meant for the wall). Then take apart the stock Nano dimmer, and un-solder the stock part that goes to the Nano. Replace it with one of these cables. The run from the wall to the dimmer will still be thicker, but the part between dimmer and Nano will be smaller.

If you want to get even fancier (which is what I intend to do), you can replace the dimmer as well. As this is a simple circuit, these dimmers are cheap and readily available on ebay, here is what I am getting. (Note I also found plenty of example circuits online, you can DIY your own for even more geek cred.) Going by the pictures of that particular dimmer, it looks like there's a fuse in there, so I can add a little extra safety by replacing whatever stock fuse with a really low current one. Furthermore, I intend to put that dimmer in it's own little weighted box, so it will stay put on the table. The net result will be similar to having one of the nicer VVPS units that DC powered logs use (though still not as precise).

Lastly, if you really want precise VVPS-style control for your Nano, grab a variac transformer. Search for "PHC Enterprise SC-3M", I think that unit would probably be ideal. Not cheap at $65, and also big and heavy (6x6x6 in, 6 lbs). But, you get a voltage readout, and a truer waveform (though that likely doesn't matter for a pure restive device like the Nano's heater).

As always, don't attempt any of this if you aren't completely comfortable working with mains voltages. It's very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Doing any of this will almost surely void your warranty as well. But if you like to tinker like I do, you've likely voided the warranty on everything you own already!

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
First question: anyone using some kind of case for their Nano and accessories? I've read through 500 pages of the thread now, and only seen one or two mentions of a case. I know the Pelican (or similar hard shell) cases seem to be fairly popular. Any other suggestions? What size of case are people using for their Nano? I mainly want something quick and convenient for moving the Nano from its "hiding place" out to where I use it, but more structured/secure than a box. I have an extra cotton bag that comes with the Nano, but it's a bit cramped once the cable, two stems, pick, etc is all stuffed in there. My ideal case would be just big enough for the Nano, cord, up to four stems, GonG, spare screens, E-Pick, ABV bag, and grinder.

I use a Peace Pouch brand case. It's corduroy and stuffed with something cushion-y. I usually just put the e-nano, a stem, and the dental pick in that. And put the peace pouch in a small nondescript backpack, putting grinders and so on in the backpack.

They used to sell them at vapeworld. may still be able to find them on-line. not that they are super well-made or anything. But it is a little pouch built exactly for this purpose. I have a larger one from them that the zipper started separating on with very light wear, but my little one i use for the e-nano is holding up good.

Back on the dental pick note. If anyone is looking to pick something like these up, I'm pretty sure i got my set for under $10 at harbour freight.

Last edited:

ghost

Is it safe for the heater and the wood to keep the nano running 24/7?

I ask because I was thinking the other night about when the last time I turned it off was, and I have had it running for about 3 weeks straight now 24 hours a day at temp 6.5.

Should I not do this?

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
They say on the website to login and go to recent orders and start the RMA process that way. I just did that. If they hurry up and give me the address to send it to, I could have it back by Fri... but I'm not too worried about it.

I'm pretty sure I could unscrew the bottom and repair the thing w/ a soldering gun and a trip to JK Electronics, but might as well send it on a visit to it's birthplace.

Epicvape on top of it. Got my return 1 day shipping label sent to me today. :tup:

DarkSm0ke

For whatever reason seems like my nano is working okay with the new cord I purchased from Epic. I have been using the heat soak method on the glass stem as described in previous posts with good results :)

I don't know what is up with the other two cords. I will have to check it out when I have time. Back on the nano train!

@ataxian all of those pieces of glass you have, all of the connectors and widgets, you sir remind me of a Dr. Frankenstein of sorts, piecing together this and that to get your nano working.

Dr. ataxian = CIVILIZED

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped

I ask because I was thinking the other night about when the last time I turned it off was, and I have had it running for about 3 weeks straight now 24 hours a day at temp 6.5.

Should I not do this?

Nah.... it's fine. Suggest you kick it down to 5 or lower while leaving unattended, but I usually forget to do this with mine. My first lovely cherry nano (prob one of first 20) ran like this for years unless I was away from home for more than 36/48 hours. Never a problem other than cord having to be replaced a couple years in - probably due to my abuse while wrapping quickly and not being careful when taking it out to visit others.

For whatever reason seems like my nano is working okay with the new cord I purchased from Epic. I have been using the heat soak method on the glass stem as described in previous posts with good results :)

I don't know what is up with the other two cords. I will have to check it out when I have time. Back on the nano train!

@ataxian all of those pieces of glass you have, all of the connectors and widgets, you sir remind me of a Dr. Frankenstein of sorts, piecing together this and that to get your nano working.

Dr. ataxian = CIVILIZED

Cords and connections to dial are definitely the weak points. Not too surprised the new cord fixed you right up. FWIW, I think Epic has these done in China - tho they do test before shipping. Detachable/replaceable cord was genius move on Epic part IMO. Even my old V1 Cherry still runs great, and the only time it needed to be fixed was issue with the cord (short at dial). I really need to order a new one next time I pick something up. My custom Amboyna Burl has the removable cord, too. I still love m original V1 Cherry, but it sits on the shelf looking pretty since I got the Amboyna. It is just too f'n gorgeous not to use.

Need a new pic, but this one shows it off pretty well.

yX9s3cw.jpg

btw.... this pic is about 3 months old, and those cracks still look exactly the same.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

Should I not do this?
Since the inception of the NANO I have left mine on 24/7?

For the $ the best value. (my opinion)!

GSC all day long was devastating!

However I was CIVILIZED (my opinion)!

PROMISE!

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Good to know @flotntoke ! I am actually going to get an extra cable probably the next time I order from Epic. The nano is a beast but the cords get worn out in time. By the way, your Amboyna is gorgeous work of art!

Yeah... I still think it's a good compromise of durability cost. I don't know about others, but I'm usually pretty rough with my cords. They're constantly being twisted and flexed - especially if you're using a bubbler and don't have everything sitting in a specific area on a desk or something. $20 maintenance/replacement every couple - 3 years isn't too bad at all IMO.

Thanks for compliment on my lovely girl. I sometimes forget about how pretty she is since she's my daily driver. Then stop to take a good look and am still smitten with her good looks.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
all of this talk about cords brings to mind my one nano-vation. I use a carabiner wrapped around the cord, around a shelf bracket. I used to drop the e-nano sometimes. now the cord reaches long enough to use it while seated at the desk AND I can't drop it all the way to the floor, the cord is too short :D

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Yesterday after one year of owning the Enano I finally broke a GonG

I dropped it with the 18mm GonG still in it and it broke, I got incredible sad over it because I KNEW I would break the 14mm because the curse ... THE CURSE !!!!

so today I broke the 14mm by dropping it in a sink :rip: but the funny thing was that I was totally calm the second time because I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN !

and now Epic vape stopped selling adjustable GonG ? :whoa:

the curse is real

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
Yesterday after one year of owning the Enano I finally broke a GonG

I dropped it with the 18mm GonG still in it and it broke, I got incredible sad over it because I KNEW I would break the 14mm because the curse ... THE CURSE !!!!

so today I broke the 14mm by dropping it in a sink :rip: but the funny thing was that I was totally calm the second time because I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN !

and now Epic vape stopped selling adjustable GonG ? :whoa:

the curse is real
https://epicvape.com/product/18mm19mm-adjustable-gong/

nah, I think maybe you missed page 2.

actually, reminds me I should have a spare for that, just like my spare stems.
Plus, I want one of those little mini-tubes.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive

ACE OF VAPE

Vape outside the box
Manufacturer
They say on the website to login and go to recent orders and start the RMA process that way. I just did that. If they hurry up and give me the address to send it to, I could have it back by Fri... but I'm not too worried about it.

I'm pretty sure I could unscrew the bottom and repair the thing w/ a soldering gun and a trip to JK Electronics, but might as well send it on a visit to it's birthplace.
Not sure why your email wasn't seen. Carisa is answering all emails every weekday now, and sometimes weekends from home. Sounds like you should get an RMA and send it in.

Note: Earlier Nanos had the heater press fit into the stainless steel sleeve. Excessive drops could dislodge it causing the heating properties to change. Later units have a washer and screw to hold it in place and are fairly impervious to falls.

Last edited:

DarkSm0ke

Not sure why your email wasn't seen. Carisa is answering all emails every weekday now, and sometimes weekends from home. Sounds like you should get an RMA and send it in.

Note: Earlier Nanos had the heater press fit into the stainless steel sleeve. Excessive drops could dislodge it causing the heating properties to change. Later units have a washer and screw to hold it in place and are fairly impervious to falls.

I emailed your site one week ago regarding my nano having issues maintaining heat and never got a response @ACE OF VAPE . I finally worked it out myself, but I ended up buying a HI that was available since I was getting no response from Epic and needed to be able to medicate. Now I have two cool log vapes.

DarkSm0ke,

olivianewtonjohn

Has anyone read this https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScBOPx3YguI-AnhDG-KBruO681JMzcTmwF4Dn8g118X8gL4eQ/viewform and does this apply to the Enano ceramic heating element that is ceramic ?

got a bit worried and thought I should share for some discussion

The source is an ecig company, makes me alittle suspicious. But moving on, id saying they're linking using ecig with

"silicosis is a form of occupational lung disease caused by inhalation of crystalline silica dust"

Hmm, if that were true shouldnt we see more cases of occupational lung disease since so many people vape now?

Also:
"Ceramic coils will absorb more e-liquid. E-liquid is vaporized and evaporated when the coil is working. High pressure from the vapor will expand and damage the structure of the porous ceramic material. Loose powders will fall off and go into the lung.

Causing death"

Causing death? What? How many people have died from ecigs? I would think we would know by now thanks to the large vaporizing community.

DarkSm0ke

Has anyone read this https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScBOPx3YguI-AnhDG-KBruO681JMzcTmwF4Dn8g118X8gL4eQ/viewform and does this apply to the Enano ceramic heating element that is ceramic ?

got a bit worried and thought I should share for some discussion

I read this a while back, and there is a very thorough discussion here:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/b...er-of-ceramic-heating-elements-in-vapes.8573/

I don't think we have much to worry about with these log vapes. Ironically, if you read the end of the thread there is a pretty good flame war going on until the thread was closed and moved to ABV, LOL.

Top Bottom