herbivore21

Ok, so with the 250w Isolated transformer, it does seem to heat up warmer, i can get steady cloud draws. However, I cannot get herb to combust at level 10, no matter what!

@ACE OF VAPE : It seems I have a problem! Please help - which components, if any, could be damaged by 240vAC power being run through the unit briefly?

I have worked as a technician repairing/building air purifiers, vacuums and computers. I can check each element to see what the issue might be so as to find a resolution?

Thanks so much :)

Update:

Ok, I just got it hot enough to combust again on level 10, after a good 20 minute warm up!

However, doing some reading - those resistors in the bottom of the unit could be acting funny since having been fed too much voltage. Seeing as the ZE-04's are apparently able to handle both 120v and 240v AC, it makes sense to me that the next thing up the line would be these resistors. If so, I think this could account for my funny heating experiences. See this thread on an electronics forum about resistors getting weird when overloaded.

See here for info Andy gave on resistors: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/e-nano-from-epicvape.7844/page-64#post-403850

Edit: Yup, cooked wire going into a resistor in the bottom of the unit. Not game to take it apart but this is the issue, can see residue from it on the bottom of the casing.

Last edited:

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
Or is there something strange with the Aussie grid?

The current flows backwards. :brow:
Nothing strange with the Aussie grid.
I've run many different 110v items here on stepdowns with zero issues.
My ebay Cloud+ is currently running from a 100w isolated toroidal stepdown.

Edit: Yup, cooked wire going into a resistor in the bottom of the unit.

Yeah, was waiting for that discovery but hoping your unit came through unscathed... bummer man. :(
You going to attempt repair or send it in?

canj00digit?,
Reactions: Osn Dosn

herbivore21

It's such a simple unit man, I am sure the repair is something I could do. I just need to confirm with Andy what the resistor is that has cooking around it and fix it for good measure. I have gotten the unit to work properly with the new step-down transformer now. The Ceramic heat element is fine, the wood is perfect, the stainless steel unstained.

However, there is noticable yellowing around one of the resistors, marked UL (circle around the letters, looks like a logo) 13 MX/ETC 22-14 from what I can read.

Replacing this will have me happy. I have cleaned away any residue from the wire melting. I will not use this again or attempt any repairs til I speak to Andy, but I think this is eminently fixable.

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
It's such a simple unit man, I am sure the repair is something I could do. I just need to confirm with Andy what the resistor is that has cooking around it and fix it for good measure. I have gotten the unit to work properly with the new step-down transformer now. The Ceramic heat element is fine, the wood is perfect, the stainless steel unstained.

However, there is noticable yellowing around one of the resistors, marked UL (circle around the letters, looks like a logo) 13 MX/ETC 22-14 from what I can read.

Replacing this will have me happy. I have cleaned away any residue from the wire melting. I will not use this again or attempt any repairs til I speak to Andy, but I think this is eminently fixable.

I think waiting to speak to Andy is a good idea but, like you said, I would guess that it's just the resistors that took the damage.

canj00digit?,

herbivore21

spoke with him, they are just crimp terminals, I am on my way home from electronics store with brand new rohs certified (by the same certifiers to boot!) terminals, will be fixed in no time!

Edit: Just got home, called Andy on a better line and he was most happy to tell me all about the inner workings and design. This is an incredibly well made unit, very simple, very small, very strong. I will trim the cable back a little and connect the wires with a new terminal, then, back to vaping like I should be!

Big, big thankyou to @ACE OF VAPE , I've never had such effective customer service before for a product built overseas! I am completely confident that so long as I could get my hands on the part, I could replace any part of this unit, it is really that elegant and simple of a design!

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
spoke with him, they are just crimp terminals, I am on my way home from electronics store with brand new rohs certified (by the same certifiers to boot!) terminals, will be fixed in no time!

Edit: Just got home, called Andy on a better line and he was most happy to tell me all about the inner workings and design. This is an incredibly well made unit, very simple, very small, very strong. I will trim the cable back a little and connect the wires with a new terminal, then, back to vaping like I should be!

Big, big thankyou to @ACE OF VAPE , I've never had such effective customer service before for a product built overseas! I am completely confident that so long as I could get my hands on the part, I could replace any part of this unit, it is really that elegant and simple of a design!

Glad you got it worked out! Anxious to hear how you like it when functioning properly.

herbivore21

Man, the crack in my 15 arm tree is the next thing I need to tend to! I just finished fixing the E-Nano, 8 minutes of warming up left and I'll see how it goes! Just wanna burn off for a bit on max heat and get rid of any dust or whatever that may have settled in the unit! :)

So easy to fix, all I can see in the main unit (after the dimmer switch) is 2 x wires from ceramic heater, 2 x wires to LED, 2 x wires from mains, both connected with ROHS certified (by UL Environmental) closed end crimp splicers. These parts are separated from the stainless steel chamber by a ceramic plug.

There is nothing to worry about in the electronics of this piece, it is incredibly well made!

Caligula

Maximus
Man, the crack in my 15 arm tree is the next thing I need to tend to! I just finished fixing the E-Nano, 8 minutes of warming up left and I'll see how it goes! Just wanna burn off for a bit on max heat and get rid of any dust or whatever that may have settled in the unit! :)

So easy to fix, all I can see in the main unit (after the dimmer switch) is 2 x wires from ceramic heater, 2 x wires to LED, 2 x wires from mains, both connected with ROHS certified (by UL Environmental) closed end crimp splicers. These parts are separated from the stainless steel chamber by a ceramic plug.

There is nothing to worry about in the electronics of this piece, it is incredibly well made!

So would you say it would be easy to replace the power cable with a less stiff version and the dimmer switch with something a little higher end (I think @ataxian posted a touch pad digital dimmer switch a while ago)?

herbivore21

so, so easy!

Oh my baby jesus! This tastes incredible, it generates cloudage, but takes an inordinate time to first get warmed up here, I need to figure out how to safely test that this is pulling 15w through with my multi meter. Anyone know? It took me a solid half an hour to warm the unit up enough to get clouds, which I only get at 10.

Last edited:

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
The output load for the digital dimmer is 400watts minimum and 800watts maximum. The switch that is on the enano is 150watts max? :shrug:

1_gr8_underdog,
Reactions: ataxian

herbivore21

Wow, mine seems to have come good temperature wise but takes about 30 mins to warm up (I am wondering if the switch or heater, more likely switch was damaged by the accidental 240vAC overload) to adequate heat! It is brilliant after that, nice and clean tasty vapor, everlasting bong rips - this is what I wanted from vaping. I can't imagine combusting now (have been for past month). Well done, Andy! @ACE OF VAPE

EDIT: Why not one of these dimmers guys? http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MACL-153M-WH-Maestro-150-Watt-Multi-Location/dp/B008X3CHM0 Configurable dimmer presets to scroll through on a coloured touchpad of your choosing!

I want it!!!!

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
So would you say it would be easy to replace the power cable with a less stiff version and the dimmer switch with something a little higher end (I think @ataxian posted a touch pad digital dimmer switch a while ago)?
The way it is is fine!
However if you want to revise it?
Very simple and easy to do.
It's only an electric cord and a dimmer switch. Like I said the one that is on the NANO is fine.
I'm going to add a temperature reading to mine. I may buy a second NANO while I have my current one torn apart.

The NANO is one of my drivers.

herbivore21

I can't see myself using anything else! Cheers man! I'm debating tricking this thing out! Will be back with pics if I do!

EDIT: OH MY GOD!

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Maestr...ywords=lutron+maestro+led+150w#productDetails

150w electronic wireless dimmer that can be used with a companion sensor that will adjust power to your preferred setting automatically when you walk within range. You walk in the room, the E-Nano warms up for you. The E-Nano is the Zippo of vapes. I have no doubt. The most elegant design I've seen in a vape with excellent components and workmanship. But imagine teching it up and having the zippo from the future? People with better knowledge of dimmers and cartridge heaters than me: Can this be done? If so, any considerations I should be aware of?

@Caligula, how about this for a dimmer?

*Homer Simpson style drools*

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
I can't see myself using anything else! Cheers man! I'm debating tricking this thing out! Will be back with pics if I do!

EDIT: OH MY GOD!

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Maestro-MRF2-6CL-WH-Multi-Location-Incandescent/dp/B00HRUNOUO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1393908283&sr=1-1&keywords=lutron maestro led 150w#productDetails

150w electronic wireless dimmer that can be used with a companion sensor that will adjust power to your preferred setting automatically when you walk within range. You walk in the room, the E-Nano warms up for you. The E-Nano is the Zippo of vapes. I have no doubt. The most elegant design I've seen in a vape with excellent components and workmanship. But imagine teching it up and having the zippo from the future? People with better knowledge of dimmers and cartridge heaters than me: Can this be done? If so, any considerations I should be aware of?

@Caligula, how about this for a dimmer?

*Homer Simpson style drools*

:mmmm:

herbivore21

I am seriously considering grabbing a kill-a-watt, a touch-button programmed swipe dimmer with wall mounted sensor and then use faston blade connectors in the bottom of the Nano to switch between the standard dimmer and the HFD (Herbivore Future Dimmer, lol) at will!

Caligula

Maximus
I am seriously considering grabbing a kill-a-watt, a touch-button programmed swipe dimmer with wall mounted sensor and then use faston blade connectors in the bottom of the Nano to switch between the standard dimmer and the HFD (Herbivore Future Dimmer, lol) at will!

...and a new knife?

1343003229003.jpg

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I know Paul Hogan is a national treasure to you guys. :D

herbivore21

haha I am one of those big old hippies who doesn't identify with any nation state so I take no offence ;)

EDIT: (I edit so much don't I!?)

Check this out, for the lazy vaper to mod into the E-Nano:

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MRF2-3LD-BL-Maestro-Wireless-Plug-In/dp/B003WHNU8M/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1393911564&sr=1-10&keywords=lamp dimmer lutron

Run a straight power cord from the Nano into the power point and have a separate wire for your control with this set up. Looks to be able to be linked with wireless sensors too! *drools more*

EDIT: Damn, day 2 and I dropped my gong and shattered it :(

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
haha I am one of those big old hippies who doesn't identify with any nation state so I take no offence ;)

EDIT: (I edit so much don't I!?)

Check this out, for the lazy vaper to mod into the E-Nano:

http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MRF2-3LD-BL-Maestro-Wireless-Plug-In/dp/B003WHNU8M/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1393911564&sr=1-10&keywords=lamp dimmer lutron

Run a straight power cord from the Nano into the power point and have a separate wire for your control with this set up. Looks to be able to be linked with wireless sensors too! *drools more*

EDIT: Damn, day 2 and I dropped my gong and shattered it :(
rewire it to plug into 220?

Enchantre

Oil Painter
so, so easy!

Oh my baby jesus! This tastes incredible, it generates cloudage, but takes an inordinate time to first get warmed up here, I need to figure out how to safely test that this is pulling 15w through with my multi meter. Anyone know? It took me a solid half an hour to warm the unit up enough to get clouds, which I only get at 10.
On the very bright side, you can just LEAVE IT ON! Turn the dial down below 7, but just leave it on (assuming you have a safe place for it - I have mine on my night stand) and turn it up just before use - it will take a minute or two, maybe, to get hot enough. Then, just dial it down a little, IF you want to (mostly to preserve the wood's natural moisture level-it is kilned now, however, so even less chance of splitting), but don't turn it off :)

Welcome :tup:

Top Bottom