Dry eyes and looking for best consumption method

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBJsMama

Welp, I went 'n had Lasik vision correction surgery two years ago, and I still have dry eyes. The situation is exacerbated, of course, when I smoke my favorite legal herbs. I'm just a-worryin on my corneas and not wanting to scratch them permanently, as they are only 51 years old, so I'm hoping you might be able to point me to some discussion of the best method of ingestion for my favorite flora -- that is to say, the least damaging to mine eyeballs.

I've Googled and not found an answer. My awesome son sent me here. Hope you guys have some ideas...

LBJsMama,
Reactions: steama

max

Out to lunch
Dry eyes can be a Lasik effect. It's also a cannabis use effect.

"Studies indicate that taking omega-3 fatty acid supplements and eating food containing these "good fats," such as salmon, can help maintain a healthy tear film. Drinking plenty of water also can help keep your body — and your eyes — properly hydrated." Dry eyes and Lasik

I don't know why you're worried about scratching your corneas though. Lack of lubrication won't scratch. It takes a foreigh particle in your eye to do damage. I've been wearing contacts for 30 years, and I'm well aware of the eye drying effect of cannabis, smoking or vaping. I just keep a small bottle of saline solution or contact storage solution handy, and add a drop to my eyes if they get too dry.

Jethro

Butane power vape like a Daisy, VaporGenie, The Hammer or a Lotus might be a good choice.

Jethro,

lwien

I had my first case of dry eye about a month ago. Never had Lasik or any procedure done to my eyes. It was awful. Felt that I had something in there all the time. It was really irritating. One eye was a lot worse than the other. It took me about 2 weeks to get totally rid of it and it has not returned. Here's what I did, and btw, I did not moderate my cannabis consumption:

Turned down the brightness a bit on both my TV and my 'puter.
I have a fan that I use in the summertime and rather than aim it at my face like I usually did, I aimed it above my head.
I got some Systane eye drops that I used about 3 times day (Do NOT get the eye drops that are designed to get rid of bloodshot eyes)
I applied a very warm compress (wet washcloth) to my closed eyes every time I took a shower for about 50 seconds.
I got some baby shampoo and washed my eyelashes after that warm compress every time I took a shower.

Blepharitis can be a cause of dry eye and it is a VERY common condition. The above actions wil take care of that as well.

Last edited:

LBJsMama

I don't know why you're worried about scratching your corneas though. Lack of lubrication won't scratch. It takes a foreigh particle in your eye to do damage.

'Cause my ophthalmologist said so. You can, he said, damage your corneas simply by the natural process of blinking if your eyes are consistently not sufficiently lubricated. I did get tear duct plugs, and that's helped a lot, but I don't want to have to give up my recreational use to protect my eyes.

Mostly, I was wondering if anyone had determined which ingestion methods are least likely to exacerbate a dry eye problem, and if folks like me are better off with oil/wax, vaping plant matter, getting all Betty Crocker in the kitchen or the good old-fashioned smoking method.

LBJsMama,

LBJsMama

I had my first case of dry eye about a month ago. Never had Lasik or any procedure done to my eyes. It was awful. Felt that I had something in there all the time. It was really irritating. One eye was a lot worse than the other. It took me about 2 weeks to get totally rid of it and it has not returned. Here's what I did, and btw, I did not moderate my cannabis consumption:

Turned down the brightness a bit on both my TV and my 'puter.
I have a fan that I use in the summertime and rather than aim it at my face like I usually did, I aimed it above my head.
I got some Systane eye drops that I used about 3 times day (Do NOT get the eye drops that are designed to get rid of bloodshot eyes)
I applied a very warm compress (wet washcloth) to my closed eyes every time I took a shower for about 50 seconds.
I got some baby shampoo and washed my eyelashes after that warm compress every time I took a shower.

Blepharitis can be a cause of dry eye and it is a VERY common condition. The above actions wil take care of that as well.

You bring up an excellent point - we have a ceiling fan over the bed and husband keeps it turned on. I wonder if something that simple could help! I'm curious about washing eyelashes -- to remove mascara, or...? (THanks, by the way, for all these responses!)

LBJsMama,

lwien

You bring up an excellent point - we have a ceiling fan over the bed and husband keeps it turned on. I wonder if something that simple could help! I'm curious about washing eyelashes -- to remove mascara, or...? (THanks, by the way, for all these responses!)

Yup. The moving air from fans can definitely dry out your eyes and if you are suseptable to dry eye, it's best to not have that happening, but if your ceiling fan is on at night when you are sleeping, it shouldn't pose a problem, unless of course you sleep with your eyes open.

Regarding washing eyelashes, you have eyelid glands at the base of your eyelashes that create the lipid (oil) layer of the tear film. If those are blocked, you don't get the oils to lubricate your eyes so it's important to make sure that they are not blocked so the washing and heat compresses helps to keep them open and clean.

Dry eye is kinda weird. You can have it, but you're tearing up all the time because your eyes are reacting to the irritation, but the tears are lacking the lubricating oils.

So yeah, eyelash washing, hot compresses, fans, and turning down the brightness of your TV and 'puter can help a LOT.

lwien,
Reactions: LBJsMama
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom