dotLeaf

maremaresing

I intend to run my ovens into the ground to the point that they stop working, then purchase the updated parts. If it's really cosmetic and all that, I should be good for quite some time. Hopefully I can get a discounted price on the new ovens when that time comes.

I'm biased as I've worked QA/Product Support for a few small LLC similar to dotmod. Saying something that isn't perfect (like a crack) isn't quite fair when a glistening full product was promised. That said, this is a first release and doing a full recall and sending out new stuff unnecessarily will toss a grenade in their supply lines and bottom lines. The oring thing is fine once you know to be careful inserting the oven, the cracks are cosmetic so far (except in the cases they are not). Every new vape has teething issues.

I knew what I was getting into and am beyond happy with what I got and the service they have given me. It's a $160 vape with build quality and CS and performance like a $300+ vape. Dotmod gets a pass from me.

I recently bought one and its not heating up. Any tips? On setting 1 and 2 it takes like 3 sec then vibrates, at setting 3 and 4 it vibrates immediately. Im touching the oven and its cold. faulty oven?

Contact dotmod directly for stuff like this. We are all dotleaf users like you, and don't have access to their troubleshooting or warranty support.

Last edited:

Deecee

I intend to run my ovens into the ground to the point that they stop working, then purchase the updated parts. If it's really cosmetic and all that, I should be good for quite some time. Hopefully I can get a discounted price on the new ovens when that time comes.

I'm biased as I've worked QA/Product Support for a few small LLC similar to dotmod. Saying something that isn't perfect (like a crack) isn't quite fair when a glistening full product was promised. That said, this is a first release and doing a full recall and sending out new stuff unnecessarily will toss a grenade in their supply lines and bottom lines. The oring thing is fine once you know to be careful inserting the oven, the cracks are cosmetic so far (except in the cases they are not). Every new vape has teething issues.

I knew what I was getting into and am beyond happy with what I got and the service they have given me. It's a $160 vape with build quality and CS and performance like a $300+ vape. Dotmod gets a pass from me.

Contact dotmod directly for stuff like this. We are all dotleaf users like you, and don't have access to their troubleshooting or warranty support.
True but people in this thread know how they normally work and i needed help. So its not ok to ask for help on how something should work here? friendly ppl ftw

purpletweed

Saying something that isn't perfect (like a crack) isn't quite fair when a glistening full product was promised. That said, this is a first release and doing a full recall and sending out new stuff unnecessarily will toss a grenade in their supply lines and bottom lines.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they need to do a full recall, but it's reasonable to replace cracked ovens for customers who'd like them replaced. It's not great to expect your early customers to bear the cost of your growing pains, insufficient QA, or soft product launch -- that should all be factored into the price. This isn't really an attack on dotLeaf specifically, though; just a general point.

maremaresing

True but people in this thread know how they normally work and i needed help. So its not ok to ask for help on how something should work here? friendly ppl ftw

2qBSV1K.jpg

Sorry for the terse initial response. That seems like a DOA unit, and I'm really sorry to hear you have it and can't get using your new vape. Could be a faulty temp sensor, or something else. Dotmod CS would have a good record of what they have seen in prerelease and now, and how to counter it. They are really approachable, and you should totally email them!

I don't think anyone is suggesting they need to do a full recall, but it's reasonable to replace cracked ovens for customers who'd like them replaced. It's not great to expect your early customers to bear the cost of your growing pains, insufficient QA, or soft product launch -- that should all be factored into the price. This isn't really an attack on dotLeaf specifically, though; just a general point.

That's a very good point, and I encourage anyone who really wants a replacement oven to push past the initial response and explain that. Initial response is damage control, but dotmod really seems to care about making this a good experience.

maremaresing,
Reactions: Jah75

Deecee

2qBSV1K.jpg

Sorry for the terse initial response. That seems like a DOA unit, and I'm really sorry to hear you have it and can't get using your new vape. Could be a faulty temp sensor, or something else. Dotmod CS would have a good record of what they have seen in prerelease and now, and how to counter it. They are really approachable, and you should totally email them!

That's a very good point, and I encourage anyone who really wants a replacement oven to push past the initial response and explain that. Initial response is damage control, but dotmod really seems to care about making this a good experience.
I emailed them and the retailer before I posted here, the retailer wants me to make a video lol. No response from dotleaf yet.

Easywider

Simple is the way
I emailed them and the retailer before I posted here, the retailer wants me to make a video lol. No response from dotleaf yet.
A video would help.. But it sounds like a connectivity issue.. If your using a good battery and your contacts are clean then it sounds like a job for Dotleaf team.

Last edited:
Easywider,

purpletweed

I hope so! I asked in a follow-up.

Please let us know what they end up saying. I've been able to find mentions of firmware updates for for the dotSquonk, but nothing for the dotAIO (the most similar other product of theirs). However, I would be a bit surprised if the dotLeaf didn't support firmware updates by the user, given that it does have that legitimate USB-C.

purpletweed,
Reactions: vapen00b

Easywider

Simple is the way

I agree with these points and have the same sort of outlook when I adopt a new product. But the oven cracking is only cosmetic until it affects resistance. Once resistance is effected the Dotleaf currently does not have the logic written into the firmware to deal with such issues and your Dotleaf turns into a Dotlighter? DotOven? one of those. At this point, the unit becomes unusable unless you purchased extra ovens.

@kineticsam will do :tup:

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
If your using a good battery and your contacts are clean then it sounds like a job for Dotleaf team.
Reads like a catchy advertising slogan/rhyme! I think you're missing your calling. :lol:

Not saying it’s time to bring out the torches and pitch forks, but a responsible developer would honour their warranty with a repair or replacement and a thank you for purchasing their product. Hopefully that’s the course they’ve charted. A small investment in CS now that pays big dividends later.

SixStringToker

Naked member
I've run two bowls thru it and am impressed so far. Tasty hits and good vapor production; gotta love that immediate vapor! The piece in the photo above works really well with the Dotleaf. A plain-jane j-hook works really well, too tho the vapor gets a bit toasty on the back of the throat using boost. One nice thing about the j-hook is that you can comfortably hold it with your thumb positioned right on the fire button, ready to rip.

50808489567_794692f596_o.jpg

I'm not a fan of the two delrin adaptors; they get stuck in my glass. Does anyone have a source for a steel, titanium, or glass 510>14mm adaptor?

Last edited:

buckhakeesah

I've run two bowls thru it and am impressed so far. Tasty hits and good vapor production; gotta love that immediate vapor! The piece in the photo above works really well with the Dotleaf. A plain-jane j-hook works really well, too tho the vapor gets a bit toasty on the back of the throat using boost. One nice thing about the j-hook is that you can comfortably hold it with your thumb positioned right on the fire button, ready to rip.

View attachment 5011

I'm not a fan of the two delrin adaptors; they get stuck in my glass. Does anyone have a source for a steel, titanium, or glass 510>14mm adaptor?
One thing I noticed in the pic you shared, yours has a hole for accessing the temperature adjustment button, unless you modified your cover, yes? Curious now. I don’t have that on mine.

I don’t dig the sticky delrin adapters either but am happy they offered it.

This little green guy is growing on me.

maremaresing

No they definitely drilled that out, and I'm lolling over here because I considered getting a plastic cover and doing the same. Then I became chill with sticking to a level and it's not so hard to lift the magnetic cover and change it.

The 18mm delrin adapter sticks like it's it's job lol. The 14mm one works great. I understand why @khelek41girl uses a glass reducer for the 18mm. Given that I can't find anything like this on the market, it's a huge value add to the cost of the unit to get them.

purpletweed

A friend of mine just shared the following communication he received from customer support regarding his cracked oven:
Hi cody,
thank you for reaching out to us regarding this issue. I currently have my first batch of chambers en route made of a new material to prevent the heat fracturing. please allow me to the beginning of next week to receive them and i can get you a replacement sent out. In the meantime could you please verify your correct mailing address to prevent any delay once they arrive.
Kind regards,

So it looks like folks’ll be taken care of.

MikeRotchHertz

A friend of mine just shared the following communication he received from customer support regarding his cracked oven:

So it looks like folks’ll be taken care of.
They replied similarly to my request, and will be sending the new one out free of charge when it arrives!

I also noticed on the shipping notification, it was labeled as upgraded heating chamber (black).

I like the idea of a black chamber and an improved material or design choice. So far, impressed in the way they've handled everything and how quickly they are adapting.

darco

While waiting for my replacement parts that Dotleaf has shipped to me, I couldn’t help but wonder if there is a design flaw that’s causing nearly every tank to crack (Besides the choice of material and tolerances of course). And then it occurred to me that this vape does one thing quite uniquely in comparison to most other vapes of its type.

Now while I haven’t opened up any of the newer vapes and only my Herbal Aire, Solos, Vapirs and few others, I am assuming most vapes have a temperature sensor Independant of the coil to monitor the temperature that the software regulates. The DotLeaf is clearly not doing that since there are only 2 contact points going into the chamber from the device (which obviously are for power). So I am assuming they are using the variance in resistance of the coil to gauge and regulate the temperature. This is the way temperature control in Ecigs work. To my knowledge a tiny fraction of the Ecig user base have successfully gotten temp control to work for them. The reason is not just because the method of measuring temperature is inferred and not direct, but it’s because it’s extremely easy to throw off this kind of temp control by any fluctuations of the resistance. Now considering that the contact is made using just a spring, I would assume any material or even finger oil stuck onto the bottom contacts of the chamber would throw the resistance off by a large margin. My experience with temp control in ecigs echoes this - I had to keep my atomizer and mod connection threads squeaky clean for temp control to work reliably. And even then I would have the occasional overheating.

the only other herb vapes that I can think of that deploy such temperature control are the ones that are ecig mod based vapes such as the stempod. For an on demand convection vape, temp control is kinda optional because you could regulate the temperature by draw and how long you hold the button down. But for a session vape, temp control is crucial.

I’m still hopeful Dotleaf can pull it out in the software some how.

My advice to current users would be to always ensure that the contacts of the mod and the chamber to each other are absolutely clean for predictable performance.

buckhakeesah

Shit. I'm just counting down the days of use now seeing all these cracked heaters. There appears to be a metal or stainless ribbon that seems to making contact near the bottom of my heater. Maybe that is it. Ill see if I can get a pic to share. So far no cracks.

Even with these flaws, I like the design. Man if this thing was full convection...hehe...I love how it all comes together and I hope they continue to improve it.

Last edited:
buckhakeesah,
Top Bottom