Donut ceramic atomiser - My first dab

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Hi,

I have finally manage to squeeze some rosin (must use sticky bud, not dry!), and am now grinning away while typing this post having had my first ever dab - loving it :rockon::leaf::rockon:

My concern is the ceramic is looking rather black in places, like spot welds.

I only had my dab pen on 3.8v (3.3v didn't seem to do anything?), it goes up to 4.8v.

I'm so concerned I never smoke again, and would appreciate feedback as to whether I'm doing things right, and can be assured, there is no combustion going on.

Thanks,
1DMF

SkmG9vu.jpg

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
Pens tend to get real hot real quick so will cook your oil and don't taste that great imo. So that looks normal to me.

Get a Dabbie (as I have just done as a backup to my constantly failing Errlectric) or an entry level black leaf rig for under a one'er and step it up.

As far as I'm aware pens do not offer the full dab experience.

h3rbalist,
Reactions: 1DMF

Izan

Hi,

I have finally manage to squeeze some rosin (must use sticky bud, not dry!), and am now grinning away while typing this post having had my first ever dab - loving it :rockon::leaf::rockon:

My concern is the ceramic is looking rather black in places, like spot welds.

I only had my dab pen on 3.8v (3.3v didn't seem to do anything?), it goes up to 4.8v.

I'm so concerned I never smoke again, and would appreciate feedback as to whether I'm doing things right, and can be assured, there is no combustion going on.

Thanks,
1DMF

SkmG9vu.jpg
It is so pretty and clean!!!
A TC device makes a huge difference.
On an EGO type battery- 4 volts will give you about 20 Watts output...feather the power button...If you have a clear/glass path..watch the output and try for consistency of vapor/density.
As noted by many...a 4mm-4.5mm "ball" is a good size per load.

Cheers
I

Izan,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
You will get some staining on the ceramic disc heater. This is mostly caused by plant wax and other components in the rosin that don't burn off cleanly. Try pulsing the button to keep it from getting too hot. If it begins to taste burned let off the button and reload, rather than trying to squeeze the last wisp of vapor out of it, those discs are notorious for failing with too much power applied so be careful with higher settings.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Good to know things look normal.

I agree it doesn't taste that great, but it doesn't taste horrible either, and it certainly gives you a slap round the face from just a couple of tokes.

The pen is definitely going to achieve my goal which is a quick hitter while out and about, without the stinkyness of my Davinci Ascent.

Making the Rosin is hard work and expensive, and I haven't mastered the technique yet, but is something I definitely want to pursue.

The button on this dabstorm pen doesn't heat for very long, and seems to flash (turn off) after 10 seconds, is that still too long and I should pulse it?

Edit:- OMG , I just pressed a decent amount of rosin, put into a small ball and stuck in the dab pen. I only had to press the button a second and vapour came pouring off, and tasted lovely, just like the pressed flowers smell.

OK, now I realise, you need to put a decent amount of Rosin in, and it melts instantly you press the button, I wasn't using enough rosin the first time, and like you say @DieHard , if you do it right with the right amount of Rosin, you don't and shouldn't burn the shit out of it, trying to get vapour.

This is nice, real nice, damn it, looks like I'm going to have to invest in a press, I like this Rosin very much.

I'm still getting hammered from the left over flowers in my vape also, so it's totally win , win :love::science::leaf::rockon:

Last edited:
1DMF,
Reactions: Izan

Izan

watch the dab one time.. it should start to sizzle after 3-5 seconds (maybe less). That first sizzle is about the temp you want to maintain...so at about (estimated) 6-7 seconds...let off the button for two seconds and then hit it again for 3-4 seconds... If you make it to cut off... you may be burning/combusting.
As you learn your unit, it will perform better.

Rosin wise... hash or kief is MUCH more efficient then flowers.
If you can do a bubble run or dry sift, your squishing will be more satisfying and productive.
nugs taste great, but 12%-15% return is frustrating and feels "wasteful".

Have fun
I

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
It sounds like your device heats fairly quickly. It might get pretty hot overall and you could change its performance and flavor with different button pulsing / lower power levels, the methods suggested by Izan and others are certainly worth a try.

You mentioned it didn't output much vapor at 3.3V, and 3.8V worked a lot better. Can you adjust it to an in-between setting?

Last edited:
SamuraiSam,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
You mentioned it didn't output much vapor at 3.3V, and 3.8V worked a lot better. Can you adjust it to an in-between setting?
Yes it has a variable dial from 3.3v - 4.8v

Now I know it was lack of product , I'm going to try again on 3.3v and see if it works when a decent amount of Rosin is in it.

Problem being current Rosin making is poor yield due to total newbie with hair straighteners... but I am going to invest in a 10 ton press in a few weeks ;)

1DMF,
Reactions: nondarb

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
yeah getting a decent pen and some nice concentrates is great! I just got one and the flavor and everything is fantastic. Makes vaping flowers taste iffy now lol though my usage is def going up with it. Glad you were able to figure it out, hopefully you get making Rosin down pretty weld and start seeing some killer yields

vapebuddy13,
@1DMF I'd love to see a video of your first proper dab with a rig! You're going to love it dude.. Pens are nice and conservative but the real experience is a proper dab. You can get excellent rigs cheap on Dhgate they usually come with cheap nail and dome but I prefer a thick quartz banger and carb cap.

That said I try and use pens (and concentrate pads) to conserve my yields, when I get started dabbing I tend to do to many and piss away my stash.

nondarb,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Well the last thing I want to do is spoil vaping flowers and do nothing but dabbing, I really just want a stealthy out and about quick hitter, and it seemed to me a dabpen was better than a grasshopper.

I hate how expensive making this Rosin is, but I do enjoy the intense flavour and potency, so probably won't get a rig just yet, especially till I have my production nailed.

OK you can vape the squished flower, but it tastes a bit popcorn, so need to continue to enjoy my Solo and bubbler by not squishing all my stash!

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I'm sure you could pick up a nail and carb from dh gate to fit....
Anyway I know rosin tech is more appealing to you right now...

If we meet in summer I will gift you some material to practice with...
UK street weed is too expensive for this shit, and of a lesser quality...

kellya86,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Anyway I know rosin tech is more appealing to you right now...
Yes, it is, I know it's considered a bit of a mugs game in terms of yield, but it is also the cleanest way of getting concentrate without chemicals.

Plus as my Father-in-law died last night from smoking (COPD), having literally watched someone slowly die from smoking, really has made me a total and utter combustion and chemical fucker when it comes to my lungs!

Yeah, I know, still got to get a handle on my alcohol consumption!

If we meet in summer
I'd like to think that's a when! - Can't wait.

1DMF,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Shit mate really sorry to hear about your father in law...

I completely understand your concerns with chemicals and what you ingest...

This is why I prefer flowers, organic grown, nice and safe....tried and tested..

kellya86,
Top Bottom