does more vapor production equal more of the good stuff entering the body?

david8613

Does more vapor production equal more of the good stuff entering your system? Do you get less good stuff from vapor less tokes?

david8613,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
to a certain extent, to some extent some vapor IS just thicker without being more potent. I posit that certain terpenes just produce thicker vapor. I've had stuff that looked like smoke, i kept checking to make sure i hadn't actually combusted, but it didn't work any better than usual. just had really good visuals. And I've had stuff with the wispiest looking vapor that still worked great despite the unsatisfying clouds. huge variations even in stuff from the dispensary with testing results within a couple points of each other (not that I really trust the testing).

same with how much it makes you cough, some is harsher without being stronger, or milder without being weaker.

david8613

My question was actually towards a device that produce more or less vapor. Not really the herb.

david8613,

lwien

My question was actually towards a device that produce more or less vapor. Not really the herb.

It's not really that simple. More or less vapor not only has to do with the herb, but also, how finely that herb is ground, how moist or dry the herb is, at what temp setting are you using on your vaporizer, what inhalation techniques are you using with a particular vaporizer, how much are you loading into your vaporizer, etc etc etc.

As you can see in my sig, I've used a many different kinds of vaporizers and I can get all of them to produce more clouds than my lungs can handle, and I'm a runner so my lungs are in pretty good shape.

lwien,

lwien

the MFLB instructions say that exhaling big clouds of vapor isn't a good thing - the optimal scenario is essentially exhaling nothing, meaning all the vapor stayed in you. makes sense to me.

I disagree with that. For me, when taking the same amount of hits, I ALWAYS get higher when producing clouds versus not producing clouds regardless which vaporizer I'm using. The rebreathing technique that I use probably has a lot to do with that though.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I guess I was confused at the question. Basically what @lwien says. I too have several vaporizers. I've lost track but I think I'm at 14 now. I can get huge clouds with most of them. It comes down to your herb that you are using.
The higher temps the bigger the clouds.

A water tool will take away some of the vapor clouds and flavor.

I love my Milaana big clouds and big hits - plus it's a portable. It comes down to how well you get medicated IMO. I also like flavor. The Mi has both.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker

all other things being equal, if there's more vapor then it is a bigger hit, so more medication presumably, in that one hit.

you can get at least middling clouds out of my weakest vape, the mflb if you kief it up. or weak clouds out of my biggest hitting vapes with poor material

Last edited:
rabblerouser,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
I think the normal bent is for 'clouds' of vapor.
However, that may NOT be the best approach.
It's certainly more visual!

When I use my Herbalaire, I play with it a bit to find the point where I can see a light vapor filling the bag... it doesn't have to be clouds, when I fill a bag my way, it's still tasty and potent.

When I crank it up temp and airflow-wise as the piece of bud diminishes what it has to give up freely, I can still get CLOUDS, they are just a bit nastier/harsher.

I'd try and say whether one way or the other hits my body pain/spasm/insomnia better than another, but currently the 'pain meters' are pegged :( Nothing seems to be making much of a dent.

So I propose an experiment in which you all are the guinea pigs!

Play with your favorite vape (use a notebook or device to take notes), tune your vape temp and airflow to emulate my approach with bag-filling. Note how many hits you took and what your perception is of what it's doing to your cerebral and body highs in relation to pain/spasticity/insomnia (or on the other side of things, an energizing strain). Repeat later with higher heat/airflow for CLOUDS and take the same notes.

If someone can figure out how to do this with a whip or TonG or GonG adapted vape as well, cool!

Share your info with us :)

looney2nz,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I think the normal bent is for 'clouds' of vapor.
However, that may NOT be the best approach.
It's certainly more visual!

When I use my Herbalaire, I play with it a bit to find the point where I can see a light vapor filling the bag... it doesn't have to be clouds, when I fill a bag my way, it's still tasty and potent.

When I crank it up temp and airflow-wise as the piece of bud diminishes what it has to give up freely, I can still get CLOUDS, they are just a bit nastier/harsher.

I'd try and say whether one way or the other hits my body pain/spasm/insomnia better than another, but currently the 'pain meters' are pegged :( Nothing seems to be making much of a dent.

So I propose an experiment in which you all are the guinea pigs!

Play with your favorite vape (use a notebook or device to take notes), tune your vape temp and airflow to emulate my approach with bag-filling. Note how many hits you took and what your perception is of what it's doing to your cerebral and body highs in relation to pain/spasticity/insomnia (or on the other side of things, an energizing strain). Repeat later with higher heat/airflow for CLOUDS and take the same notes.

If someone can figure out how to do this with a whip or TonG or GonG adapted vape as well, cool!

Share your info with us :)

that's why I started out with "All other things being equal"...

Temperature / airflow play a Big role as do the strain / dryness / grind other people mentioned.

I'm not sure I'll do the whole experiment, but I think you have motivated me to turn the temperature down for strains I know give great vapor to begin with, maybe see how low I can go / if they get get tastier and stay cloudy enough to satisfy me visually.

rabblerouser,
Reactions: looney2nz

Baron23

This is a question for which I have never found an supported answer....what components of cannabis produce visible vapor when heated? All substances, when boiled off as a gas, are not visible.

Is it mostly the remaining water? Is it THC? Is it something else but which correlates very closely with THC vaporization so clouds are indeed a good indicator or....??

Personally, my subjective experience is clouds = cannabinoids and > clouds = > cannabinoids.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
The MFLB was my first vape and I have never been able to get it to cloud up the way my other vapes do. BUT - I get just as high from the MFLB with no clouds as I do with my cloudy vapes.

Funny thing is ... I judge whether the MFLB bowl is done by the color of the ABV. With my cloudy vapes, once it stops producing vapor I ass-u-me it's beat and reload.

His_Highness,

darbarikanada

and isn't it possible that 1 big cloud hit = 2 less visible cloud hits (or something like that)? if you're going to experiment, how about vaping an equal amount of the same weed, once maximizing clouds - however you do it (type of vape or temperature or whatever), and once minimizing clouds (I suppose you'd have to do the experiments far enough apart, time-wise, that your tolerance is similar both times). if all those visible clouds are just wasted (sic) weed, you should get higher off the less clouds/more hits, method.

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
IME Bigger rips = Much more baked

Big rips are relative, and some of the ones I take I imagine would make many small rippers head spin and send them on a white knuckle ride :p ;) Stepping your exhale, to make the most of it is the way to go.. I use the IceMan breathing technique personally ;)... IMO taking in more cannibinods in a shorter time will always be greater than the opposite approach, in terms of getting more baked.. I've tried many times to get just as baked off many small rips, and concluded that people who say a bunch of small rips over time can get you just as baked, must not aim to get nearly as baked as I do.. We all have our ceilings set at our own heights, and we all call that ceiling baked, or really high, or whatever..... IME The type of rips I like to take, small rips have never been able to compete w/... I like to get baked, then more baked, not just medicated enough :lol:

iVapeTooMuch

Oh I Member
This is a question for which I have never found an supported answer....what components of cannabis produce visible vapor when heated? All substances, when boiled off as a gas, are not visible.

Is it mostly the remaining water? Is it THC? Is it something else but which correlates very closely with THC vaporization so clouds are indeed a good indicator or....??

Personally, my subjective experience is clouds = cannabinoids and > clouds = > cannabinoids.
You're right, the vapor produced by whatever substance isn't visible. The vapor, intially hot, cools down and condenses the water molecules in it and around it, but it's not very dense so it floats. It technically is a cloud!

Last edited:
iVapeTooMuch,

MinnBobber

and isn't it possible that 1 big cloud hit = 2 less visible cloud hits (or something like that)? if you're going to experiment, how about vaping an equal amount of the same weed, once maximizing clouds - however you do it (type of vape or temperature or whatever), and once minimizing clouds (I suppose you'd have to do the experiments far enough apart, time-wise, that your tolerance is similar both times). if all those visible clouds are just wasted (sic) weed, you should get higher off the less clouds/more hits, method.
I was going to write the same. X2

I think the above here is the real question, not : from the same material/ same bowl, which will get you higher, same # of hits with one being big vapor exhaled and one whispy exhaled. The big vapor exhaled obviously, because you obviously vaped out a lot more of your herb to get the big vapor..

But, given the exact same amount of same herb in same vape, which gets you more medicated:
- big, max hits with lots of vapor exhausted OR
- many more small hits with little or no vapor exhausted.

For me, it is clearly more small hits with little or no vapor exhausted. For me, big hits with big clouds only waste a lot of goodies that my lungs never got to absorb as they were overloaded with goodies.

For others, some say they need big ol hits or they never get medicated, even if they take many more smaller hits.

Baron23

You're right, the vapor produced by whatever substance isn't visible. The vapor, intially hot, cools down and condenses the water molecules in it and around it, but it's not very dense so it floats. It technically is a cloud!
Do you know that for a fact? Any sources? I have no idea what the visibility is of THC or terpene vapor.

I ask because I feel that I have vaped some pretty damn well dried herb and still get big clouds and real high. I'm not saying that the visible component is not water vapor...but I guess I am saying that I don't know and have some subjective data points that raise questions about it all.

Baron23,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Does more vapor production equal more of the good stuff entering your system? Do you get less good stuff from vapor less tokes?

It's very important to remember that different chemicals have different vaping temperatures. Simply setting your vaporizer to a higher temperature unlocks MORE chemicals all at one time.

If you slowly step up your vaping temperatures from a very low 330F up to 430F in 5F degree increments, you're going to get very minimal vapor production at each temp setting.

Whereas if I reload the vaporizer, crank it to maximum temperature, take a rip and exhale. Naturally I'll get a HUGE milky rip. Because more active compounds are being released at one time.

Does the smoker in me not enjoy that massive cloud? Absolutely I LOVE getting a huge milky rip and blowing a huge stinky cloud into the room.

Does that larger cloud mean I am getting MORE MEDICATED than taking smaller "sips" off my vape? Ehhhh I haven't been given any definitive scientific studies to prove to me it does or does not. (although by all means - if someone has any studies showing otherwise, PLEASE give me links, I'd LOVE to read them!!!)

Personally? I LOVE to cloud chase. When I have the ability to cloud chase, you can bet your ass I will do it (with raw herbs, fuck concentrates). But when I'm looking for MAXIMUM conservation of my herbs, I "temp step" my vaping. I start at low temps - vape until no vapor is produced, and then jump up 20F in temperatures and start vaping again.

Top Bottom