Do strains actually have the flavor that their name suggests?

InspireAndAdmire

Just curious. I'm still fairly new with weed. I notice with the vaporizer, the first 1-4 hits or so you actually can have some flavor to it. But, the only flavor I can point out with vaping is "minty".

The same strain I tried, it smells SUPER fruity/minty. The best smelling strain I've got a whif of. I actually want to keep the bottle I have it hidden in storage as a reminder of HOW GOOD it actually smells.

Does banana kush actually smell/taste like bananas?
Strawberry kush? etc. etc.

InspireAndAdmire,
Reactions: CarolKing

jim-bob

Much like weed, perhaps dog poo has evolved over the years. You probably owe it to yourself to make a more up-to-date comparison. :p

OP - The answer IME is 'definitely maybe'. I've got some 'cherry limeade' that tastes exactly like its name would suggest, but i've also got plenty of fruity-named strains that just taste like, well, weed..

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
If the weed is Organic and soil based the taste will be more intense. Taste depends on lots of factors.
So yes most are named for the taste or and smell. What you buy is not always what the seller says it is. Strains are mixed up sometimes renamed etc.
^^^^^
Exactly...

Organic Soil grown, correctly labeled Strains develop and retain their Terpene profile (Taste) much more efficiently than Hydroponic, Coco, Soil-less applications.

Man... I was kicking myself in the ass (still am) for not getting into exclusive vaporization when I first started growing myself.

To think of all that work I put into my grows to just light them on fire?!?!?
:bang:

I'm soooo grateful to FC!

Taste most certainly matches a majority of the time... There are other factors that dictates the name of Strains however...
Gorilla Glue for example... The Glue relates to the resin...very sticky.

Glass Slipper for example relates to the glassy appearance of the flowers whilst growing.

MinnBobber

Some do and some don't.
And many of use get strains where we are not even sure they really are the strain they say they are :(

For actual true strains, grown, flushed, and cured properly, many do match their name.
e.g. Super Lemon Haze has a very lemony taste. In fact, vaped at about 350 F, one gets an almost singular, pure lemon taste--- like you ran hot air over a lemon drop and into your vape.

friedrich

Little-Known Member
Usually there's a complex mix of flavors which I can't really identify, but sometimes it's pretty clear why they picked the name.

One of the best strains I've ever had was (supposedly) Sour Diesel × Agent Orange; it really tasted like oranges!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

I can buy cannabis at one dispensary and it's not exactly the same taste at another. I wonder about strain mixup too. I've talked with farmers that have named their cannabis themselves. There is a Chardonnay strain of cannnabis and I told the farmer I couldn't find it on Leafly. He said because he named it himself.

Something like Girl Scout Cookies doesn't taste to me like any cookies. I get GrapeApe and it taste like grape. I've gotten Agent Orange and it taste a little of orange, Permafrost has a minty/pine vapor taste. The strawberry cough that I had, had a slight strawberry taste but it was harsh and made me cough so that part was right.

It really depends on how your cannabis is grown and processed is what the farmers have told me.

Last edited:

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
Every plant is different. You could grow 100 blueberry plants and each one will taste a little different. So which one represents blueberry? At some point one person clones a single plant and gives it a name and it spreads it around. It is a great way to share an individual plant, but there might be sister plants that you would like more.

Rab

Theres lots of terpenes of the same kinds mixed together in each strain with some much more prevalent than others and when mixed together they give the green its unique flavor. It depends strongly on how it was grown and how it was dried and cured also which ones come out strongest, although some obvious strains are going to be lemony no matter what which isn't a bad thing at all :D

jXSS0pS1Sw2p2eq176GL_Leafly-Cannabis-Terpene-Wheel-Infographic.png

In my opinion though, people who give off detailed flavor reviews like french roasted coffee grounds with hints of African woodshavings.. Crap like that, are all suggestive subtleties unique to the taster that could be almost anything else while ones such as lemon and chocolate are easy and common to relate to. Which probably gives the strains their names
I have something pretty minty as well atm^_^
--

No, "dog poo" the strain is one of my favorites and from my weed eating days as a kid, they taste different.
Dog shit is one of my favorite strains. It actually smells kinda like you stepped in a turd though, real fresh'un. I'll take your word on the taste! :lol:

nondarb,
Reactions: Joel W.
Top Bottom