Do people know you vape?

digglover

Hey Guys,
So as I relatively new stoner (I started late haha) I ran into this issue today...

A good, well-meaning friend of mine asked me if I smoked pot today. I told him I didn't because I know he is against weed (for whatever reason). I told him this because I didn't want to make it an issue between him and I - I know people judge and make assumptions based on activities you partake in.

I want to know what you guys do when confronted by people who wouldn't be cool with you partaking in herb. Do you tell them? Not tell them?

I figure this is an issue I'm going to run into from now on and wanted to hear other's thoughts regarding it. It would be so much easier if people were more informed and it was legalized. But it isn't and so we've got to deal with what we've got :/.

digglover,

Beezleb

That knowledge can be used against you by others in todays society. Ive seen girlfriends call jobs and tell them so and so smokes weed or what have you.

Generally, my rule is, if your not in that world, its best you dont know.

Beezleb,

hedgewitch

You didn't REALLY lie, you don't SMOKE, you VAPE :lol: That's the smartass answer. In reality I don't let very many people know as I live in a small town and it wouldn't be a good thing for the job situation, ect. so I am hiding in the closet! I didn't start till I was 20, but I've been at it for 30 years now! Some people know I smoked when I was younger, but they probably think I give it up when I grew up. Ha, ha, what do they know? :D

hedgewitch,

lwien

Ya know, ya get to a certain age and the term "fuck it" takes on a whole new meaning. I have no problem in letting people know I partake. Actually thinking about getting a t-shirt with only one word in the upper left hand corner........VAKED !

lwien,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I lie, to everyone... whether it be family or friends, even friends that are ok with pot and people that smoke pot themselves.

Employers, staff at University, aquintances... HELL NO.

I'm a solo user, there's just no need.

If I want to hang out and chill with someone, I'll have a bourbon.

Besides my few "internet" friends, nobody in real life knows that I toke the herb. Been an everyday toker for 10 years, it hasn't always been this way, but loose lips sink ships.

Chubba,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Hmmm you make me want to look up your IP address so I can find all your friends n' what not. I gotta shout at them that ol' Chubba vapes tough :ko:

Haha just kidding bro....but denial is a bitch. And doing drugs alone sucks for the most part....its the best when you can kick back with some true friends and vake fat bowls.

:2c:

Hennessy1414,

Purple-Days

"Holing your joint while the neighbors decide, 'why is a vegatable something to hide?' " Call Any Vegatable, Frank Zappa.

Don't ask, Don't tell. Is another quote that come to mind.

"Just say NO !" , Nancy Reagan. Hey, Nancy says, lie your ass off. :uhoh:

Fortunately I live where there is no need to lie. No family left to lie to either. No job concerns. But there was a day... I usually tried to look straight, Visine, short hair etc. and 99.9% of the time it just never came up. Most dopers just assumed I didn't and the others didn't suspect (especially Johnny Law).

Purple-Days,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i'm with the "don't tell anyone" peeps. for more than 40 years.

you may not be your best friend's best friend.

Hippie Dickie,

lwien

I've smoked weed for over 40 years too and have never been busted and if the subject ever came up, I never denied it. Guess it has a lot to do with where you live.............and some luck.

But here's another question on the same lines. When you go to a doctor for a physical or see him/her for the first time, and they ask you if you have ever partaken in recreational drugs, what do you tell them?

For me, I have always told them the truth, including docs or nurses in private practice as well as the VA, and never once even got a raised eyebrow. So even the gov't knows I smoked, and this was wayyyyy before it was medically legal here. And again, never had an issue with the law. I figure ESPECIALLY in a medical situation, that they need to know the truth about EVERYTHING.

lwien,

Beezleb

Yea, becareful what you say to docs.

It can negatively affect serious medical things like transplants, even in medically allowed states. Once again I only recommend talking about it with people that you have too.

Generally I found, those who speak on things when they dont need too tend to cause problems for themselves. Its not about if you should or should not, but ask yourself how can it affect your life. For each person and circumstance that answer could be different so no one can really answer that for you.

Stealth is an important aspect to vaporizers for a reason. While public opinion and views of weed are getting more acceptable we still are very far from where we need to be for me to be comfortable to tell someone its fine.

My advice on the issue:
Dont talk about it with others who are not part of that world and only tell docs if you are going for a medical weed card. Otherwise that information does not really have a big impact on the medical care you will be receiving or play any realistic role in your docs treatement decision of you for general medical issues.

It can also be used against you in child disputes and divorces. Far too risky information to allow people to indiscriminately have at this time.

Beezleb,

masejl12

This topic just made me think of what happened last year. I was 23 and my younger brother just turned 18. I went an visited my family and was staying in my brothers room. While I was unloading my luggage in his room, I opened his closet and got a huge whiff of ganja. This was a hard decision because no one in my family knows I toke. Anyways long story short, both me and my bro toke up whenever we see each other, and nobody in the family knows our little secret. "If everybody smoked a blunt, relieved their mind, the world would be a better place." - Bone Thugs N Harmony

masejl12,

lwien

I guess I should clarify something. I just related my personal experience. I surly wouldn't encourage anyone else to be as forthright as I have been regarding smoking bud.

lwien,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
But here's another question on the same lines. When you go to a doctor for a physical or see him/her for the first time, and they ask you if you have ever partaken in recreational drugs, what do you tell them?
again, i tell no one. and i keep my hair short and i work full time (and a half, at least).

Hippie Dickie,

Choism

I only tell to those who partake. No need in wasting my breath and time trying to explain to ignorant minds. Cannabis use shouldn't be kept a secret. It's a shame.

Choism,

owin

Choism said:
I only tell to those who partake. No need in wasting my breath and time trying to explain to ignorant minds. Cannabis use shouldn't be kept a secret. It's a shame.
exactly. I do the same. All my friends that smoke know I vape. I try to get them to vape but most are too retarded to see the benefits. Oh well.

owin,

cannabananabis

Well, not being a member of what I'd consider to be the adult workforce, I have few bearings in answering such a question. Now - unlike certain others, I don't advertise my recreations, but if asked whether I smoke (even, or ESPECIALLY by someone against it), I always answer truthfully - albeit obvious exceptions. I know my facts, and I'm 100% confident in the morality of cannabis usage, so I hold little taboo at this point.

Regardless, it is of my upmost opinion that one should be judged by conduct not by what one does in his/her free time. Therefore, my feeling is if you don't like that I smoke, don't worry about it. It's a victimless crime, and its ethics as well as its addictive properties are no one's business but my own. Not so for legality, unfortunately.

Now, in any high-class job one might be precautious of letting co-workers knowing, but in general I wouldn't worry about an ex-girlfriend, etc. calling work and saying you smoke. The truth is, you can't be fired because 'someone said you smoke' - if your boss sees you high at work, if he/she sees you making stupid mistakes as though you are, thats different, but come on; a phone call saying someone smokes? I have my doubts about its effectiveness. This is not to mention, despite all the prejudice and taboo surrounding it, marijuana is by far the most socially accepted illegal narcotic (government's label, not mine).

One more thing I want to address, I agree with Iwien that you should always tell your doctor. I understate how much I smoke during physicals because for those it's always followed by a brief "mara-juh-wanna is bad mmmkay" type of spiel. However, given any medical problems, I think you should always be fully honest with doctors. Your family doesn't have to know - doctor-patient confidentiality - but if there's a problem your doc damn well does. You never know what is and isn't a contributing factor.

At present time, I consider myself an open cannabis user (better than pot smoker ha), but mind you that is after 2 years of secrecy and a lot of acceptance from parents, as well as others.

peace :peace:

cannabananabis,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
cannabananabis said:
The truth is, you can't be fired because 'someone said you smoke' - if your boss sees you high at work, if he/she sees you making stupid mistakes as though you are, thats different, but come on; a phone call saying someone smokes? I have my doubts about its effectiveness.
Maybe the phone call won't get you fired but the surprise drug test might, depending where you work/ what kind of security clearance you have.

Not so funny story: Friend of mine called me the other day. His friend went and told his doctor he had a "heavy" cannabis habit (smokes 2g a day :rolleyes: ). Long story short , doctor called the dmv and had his driver license revoked. No drivers license = can't work. So now he's gotta go to a detox program (paid by work, but still) for 3 months cause one doctor freaked out. Keep in mind this is in Canuckistan , lords knows what could of happened further south...

loose lips sink ships indeed.

Skunkypete,

Beezleb

It was probably a law that made the doctor inform the DMV. If not, lawsuit but im pretty sure ive heard of that before and the doc was required by law to inform them and im sure that varies from state to state.

Beezleb,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
I'm pretty open with it. I see no reason to treat it any differently than other things that are legal and I'd prefer not to even pretend to treat it like it is because I really don't think there's any need in my position. As I see it, the worst that could happen is that I smoke a joint with someone.

Pseudonymous,

Skuzzer

I don't advertise the fact that I do, but if someone asks I generally wouldn't lie.

Has resulted in me sharing joints with some interesting people at times (bosses at christmas parties etc)

Skuzzer,
Top Bottom