Do any vaporizers besides the ELEV8R and the Supreme use "laminar flow?"

Farid

And turbulence will just be attract to those depressed area (aka the botom part of the showerhead).
Depression will bring back laminar way faster than u think. Even more with higher airflow

I apologize if I misunderstand you, by depressed area do you mean an area where the pressure goes from high to low?

Because I would think the bottom of the showerhead would be the opposite, going from low to high pressure (low where the channels narrow through the diffuser and high where it exits into a bigger volume). Because of Bernoulli's.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Pressure drop is a cons here. Which Reduce exchange. A Reason to go more easyly on inhalation.

The other cons will be the chaotic output.
The vapbong for exemple.
A Laminar airflow on a really hot coil. But If u draw not enough, u will end up with chaotic turbulence in the big bowl. And With the higher thermal flow due to more residence time. It ends up hot spotting. One of the only where slower draw will make hotspot.

I agree that a significant pressure drop can be a con for the user (but subjective as others prefer it), though I think the vapor also prefers it. This is what makes vape building tricky is finding the balance of physics versus user experience. Like tons of people dislike the Grasshopper because of its hot vapor output with almost no cooling, because it’s not very comfortable for the user. But from an engineering perspective that’s textbook efficiency since condensation = loss.

Shadooz

I apologize if I misunderstand you, by depressed area do you mean an area where the pressure goes from high to low?

Because I would think the bottom of the showerhead would be the opposite, going from low to high pressure (low where the channels narrow through the diffuser and high where it exits into a bigger volume). Because of Bernoulli's.
I mean Pressure drop

There is first a pressure drop in the bowl, that will reach the showerhead, and because of bernouilli, accelerated the flow. Which will then bring a pressure drop in the showerhead, that will accelerate (because of bernouilli) the flow from the intake. And those accelerations, bring back laminar flow from the negligible turbulence of the 19 inlets..

Last edited:

Farid

Ah gotcha, I thought you were referring to the pressure change relative to the location under a condition of constant flow, rather than the pressure change in one location relative to a change in flow (from the inhale). Now I get what you mean, you've got a good point.

I'm in agreement with inverted, that whether a pressure drop is desired is very user dependent. Some (like myself) like it, while others really want free flowing airflow. From a heat transfer perspective I think it has value, but efficiency is only a small part of the equation, and the user experience trumps all (at least for desktops, where conservation isn't the be all end all).

I think that's one of the reasons my knee jerk reaction to the Supreme inventor's take on this issue is to write it off as marketing jargon. Any time a manufacturer describes their technology as far superior to the rest of the market I have to roll my eyes a little. I think they do themselves a disservice with this kind of presentation because so often any good points they have about technological innovation are overlooked. Egzoset's pulse heating comes to mind here, but that's a whole other topic...

Shadooz

I'm in agreement with inverted, that whether a pressure drop is desired is very user dependent. Some (like myself) like it, while others really want free flowing airflow. From a heat transfer perspective I think it has value, but efficiency is only a small part of the equation, and the user experience trumps all (at least for desktops, where conservation isn't the be all end all).
I don't get why u put pressure drop with user experience...

Your lungs always have to make that first pressure drops by spreading.

But ended with too much pressure drop in the heated part will be inefficient, it must be reduce ...

And The harder u draw, more pressure drop u make.

Pressure drop is always a cons for our vaporizer, it must be balanced with the surface increase of rubies for exemple. What @invertedisdead try to find by trying different 6mm 4mm and 3mm

Last edited:

Shadooz

I put it with user experience because different people prefer to draw at different speeds and prefer different draw resistances.
Draw resistance is a user experience, but pressure drop happen with both, low and high draw resistance. Open airflow or restricted one...

Exemple : Too many rubies will bring draw resistance and too many heater pressure drop. But they are different consequences (just linked in this case by the same cause)

Planck

believes in Dog
What you describe is the flow through the herb chamber, which can be laminar while the airflow through the heater is still turbulent.
I agree that the airflow entering the herb chamber could be laminar and still turbulent through the heater. I can't see how it would be possible for the airflow to be anything but turbulent through the herb(chamber) itself. Perhaps my point is just symantec nitpicking?

------------------- in other news...
Is there any advantage in having laminar airflow anywhere but from herb to my lips?
BTW I discount the whole cooling stems deal, if the vapor is to hot apply less heat, I'd rather have my product in me than condensed in the stem.

Planck,
Reactions: arb

Shadooz

Is there any advantage in having laminar airflow anywhere but from herb to my lips?
As said, it's always a mix between laminar (general flow) and turbulence(local).
Turbulences could only be an advantage for heat transfer area, so -heater- and -herb-

"Could" cause Not always true, Still have to avoid "uneven chaos" and too much resistance

I agree that the airflow entering the herb chamber could be laminar and still turbulent through the heater. I can't see how it would be possible for the airflow to be anything but turbulent through the herb(chamber) itself. Perhaps my point is just symantec nitpicking?
As said too, in a pressure drop induced flow, the micro turbulences that occur very localy, get back to the laminar flow fast.
U can See it with a dropdown flow, mostly laminar, right after the herbs, even if there is micro turbulences in the angle.

The more u pack, the less u grind, the more turbulences u will get. But the flow that hit it is laminar (the convection process) and get back to it less than mm from the screen.
I put a "baking paper" to increase those turbulences right below the herbs :evil:

Last edited:

Hippie

I've definitely seen an improvement in diffusion and more uniform heat spread by placing a disc in the debrid screen in my DiY efforts since following @Alan 's posting on the subject

Shadooz

I've definitely seen an improvement in diffusion and more uniform heat spread by placing a disc in the debrid screen in my DiY efforts since following @Alan 's posting on the subject
U mean a screen between the heat source and the bowl ?

A screen will break the overfocus of laminar flow, spread the heat, yes.
Like the 19 holes of the flowerpot.
And stop photon from halogen too here.
My issue with halogen is it was chosen because of an acceptable joule effect, which is a cons for lighting.
So here, using the joule effect as heater seems under efficient (Watts asked). But it allow all glass heated surfaces.
I was skeptical about boro used as thermal capacitor, but @invertedisdead said to use his Inverzion at really low coil temp.
So i'm always watching, maybe halogen can be a good thermal conductor too 🍿

Last edited:

Planck

believes in Dog
Turbulence could only be an advantage for heat transfer area, so -heater- and -herb-
"Could" cause Not always true, Still have to avoid "uneven chaos" and too much resistance
Sorry I may have wasted your time on that, I was thinking in terms of a vapcap because that is what I use. (No cookie for me) I think turbulent flow in a heating section and an extraction section are prefered and laminar flow is prefered everywhere else. Unless a goal is to introduce additional cooling and mixing downstream of the extraction chamber. Perhaps more succinctly turbulence good where heat transfer is the aim, turbulence bad in the rest of the system.
As said too, in a presdure drop induced flow, the micro turbulence that occur very localy, get back to the laminar flow fast.
Sure, all I am saying is that it is impossible to have laminar flow through the herb.

I put a "baking paper" to increase those turbulences right below the herbs :evil:
What vape are you using?
How is that a desirable thing?
:cheers:

Shadooz

I think turbulent flow in a heating section and an extraction section are prefered and laminar flow is prefered everywhere else. Unless a goal is to introduce additional cooling and mixing downstream of the extraction chamber. Perhaps more succinctly turbulence good where heat transfer is the aim, turbulence bad in the rest of the system.
That's what i've explained...

it is impossible to have laminar flow through the herb.
Ther is still some... Pressure drop attraction...
I'm financial, it's like the long term trend and short scalping.
And when u scalp, u know u still have to deal with the laminar ;)

What vape are you using?
How is that a desirable thing?
:cheers:
I've seen a lot of like from you in that thread, i already said twice i'm with an herborizer.
U read in diagonal ? :rofl:

It desirable as it creates a pressure point right below the herbs, and so warm up the bottom of your bowl.
Like that i could reduce the temp of my herbo, for the same results.

It just add restriction, which is not an issue with the open airflow of the desktop. But different for smaller already resistant flow.

I've done it first to kept all the kief in the bowl.

Never used a vapcap... a shame... but i've seen people doing the same with it and get great results, a #325 mesh

Last edited:

Hippie

U mean a screen between the heat source and the bowl ?

A screen will break the overfocus of laminar flow, spread the heat, yes.

Yes - there's a screen to stop bits being blown back into the heater.
And a Stainless Steel disc between the screen and the heater that must be creating negative pressure in the centre as the air enters the bowl.

niofy

does anyone misses the volcano hot air stile, and found this "hot air system" in other vaporizer???

niofy,

GoldenBud

all 10mm vapes can act as laminar flow vapes I think, I can calculate Reynolds number if you know the velocity of the air/vapor ;)

GoldenBud,
Top Bottom