Different ways to get absolutes

I'm going to make the assumption that you all know what an absolute is.

For this thread, can we all name and describe the different methods and solvents used to make absolutes. The only one I know is using BHO, then dissolved in 190 proof ethanol, winterized to let waxes congeal. then using a syringe filter 0.3um to filter out waxes. Plus somewhere in there using activated carbon, and filtering that out.

Thanks,

SpinLover1,

vap999

Why not consider whatever type(s) of purification methods are done by real chemists these days. Just guessing, this could include multiple types of chromatography, distillation (such as with a rotary evaporator), supercritical carbon dioxide extraction, classic ether-water solvent extractions, etc. Maybe, look for some review articles on purification or check out patents for the state-of-the-art, such as those belonging to GW Pharmaceuticals.

vap999,
I saw that one method in the litterateur was using chloroform, which I rather not use myself for obvious reasons. There is always super-critical CO2 fluid extraction, which to me is kind of a joke.

SpinLover1,

druminfected

SpinLover1 said:
I'm going to make the assumption that you all know what an absolute is.

For this thread, can we all name and describe the different methods and solvents used to make absolutes. The only one I know is using BHO, then dissolved in 190 proof ethanol, winterized to let waxes congeal. then using a syringe filter 0.3um to filter out waxes. Plus somewhere in there using activated carbon, and filtering that out.

Thanks,

my friend does this super pure involving that as the last step, but instead of butane he uses hexane and then mixes that with salt water to remove even more compounds,waxes,etc. and then evaps and follows the rest of the steps you said and what comes out is some super pure yellow concentrate. Of coarse the yield is a lot less too than you would expect with a bho extraction since that has a lot of waxes,sugars,etc still in it.

druminfected,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
How does salt water helps purification ? And how do you remove salt from the end product cuz salt is somewhat alcohol solvable ?

Abysmal Vapor,

Bouldorado

For reaching an absolute quality, I'm not sure how necessary a secondary extraction is. Reason being, is that I can make oils that are very clear and have no solvent taste when smoked, using only butane and a water bath. Color is a pretty good indicator of composition, so I generally regard higher clarity as higher quality. If a butane extracted oil can match the amber appearance of a double extraction, then you can assume purity is roughly equal.

Here's a double extracted oil I made (butane soak and evap + chilled ethanol wash):
P1000898.JPG

Compared to a butane-only extraction of roughly the same material:
P1000894.JPG

Bouldorado,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
^^^ I think, and happy to be corrected, that BHO is a concrete. It can only be called an absolute once it has undergone a secondary extraction specifically to remove the more polar compounds from the waxes, regardless of how it looks.

WatTyler,

Bouldorado

WatTyler said:
^^^ I think, and happy to be corrected, that BHO is a concrete. It can only be called an absolute once it has undergone a secondary extraction specifically to remove the more polar compounds from the waxes, regardless of how it looks.

No, that's correct. I guess that was just poor wording on my part. I intended to highlight that the purity of a dual extracted absolute (clear amber), can be approximated by a single non-polar concrete extraction. Of course a secondary polar extraction will increase purity, removing compounds undissolvable in the primary solvent. The impurities however, do not make up a large portion of the oil, noted by the lack of significant visual change and the absolute/concrete weight difference.

If you want to minimize the number of chemicals used on your extract, a well-purged concrete is the way to go. A single non-polar extraction gives a smoking quality indiscernible from an absolute and also preserves flavor better.

Bouldorado,
Top Bottom