1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences between AVB and proper Decarb

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by Truth Seeker, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Well-Known Member

What's the overall difference of effects ingesting AVB compared to a proper decarb such as in the oven or in an Ardent Nova lift etc?

Are there big differences?

Sick Vape likes this.
  2. ginolicious

ginolicious Well-Known Member

I don’t see any personally.

I vape my weed at 185C and I usually decarb it in the oven slightly higher. It’s almost the exact same process in my opinion other than when in the oven you ain’t inhaling any of the effects. But this is my opinion. Without scientific back up. Someone else is gonna school me. But it’s my stoner logic on this one.

3. torkwench13

torkwench13 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere the ABV is not fully decarbed, but I don't recall if there was any science behind that claim. Might be true but here's what I do and it works for me. I tend to vape my herb twice at 200C. It gets nice and toasty brown (not dark brown or black!) and I like to mix one gram of it in nut butter, preferably an oily natural butter, with a little sunflower lecithin, and maybe some cocoa and sugar. I'll eat that maybe on crackers or straight off the spoon and in 30 to 40 mins I'm comfortably good to go for the next few hours! I got the idea from fire cracker recipes as well as other people's inspirations!

4. Jeeshy

Jeeshy Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but I think the AVB would be much much less potent. As you have evaporated most of the THC and sucked it up. But this too is stoner logic :) I don't really cook with decarbed cannabis much myself :(

Andreaerdna likes this.
  5. ginolicious

I add decarb cannabis for my topical creams along with fresh cannabis.

6. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

................................................................................................

You are asking about ingesting ABV compared to full virgin bud that was only decarbed, correct?
    The virgin bud just had almost all the acidic forms (THCA, CBDA, etc) converted to our THC,CBD, etc.
    So it is primed and high test buds.

The ABV will be much much weaker, although there is some variability as :
    I finish all my flower at 445 F cuz it is scarce and expensive, and cuz it never tastes bad thru
    my miniVAP or Herbie at that high temp. Even after all those hits, it works in edibles.

BUT, some have reported here that they vape at 350/360 F so their ABV has way more goodies left
    for edibles. So, there is a big difference in ABV potency.

Andreaerdna and Truth Seeker like this.
  7. Genki88

Genki88 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be decarbing at that temp or any higher..............

Truth Seeker and Gray Area like this.
  8. ginolicious

anytbing I read suggests decarbing at 230C for 20-30 minutes. If I vape at 185c that’s lower than what I normally decarb in the oven. Are ya suggesting I’m decarbing too high?

9. Genki88

Genki88 Well-Known Member

Read again..........carefully......

Gray Area likes this.
  10. Skyscraper

Skyscraper Well-Known Member

Yeah.. In my experience, the proper temp for decarbing flower for edibles is around 230 Fahrenheit, not Celsius.

I don't mess with edibles too much unless making the odd batch of butter from trim/shake..
    The first couple years I vaped I made various edible recipes with ABV, from firecrackers to brownies to olive oil infusions..

IME dosing ABV edibles is very inconsistent, tastes bad and can be rough on your stomach. I honestly also thought it increased my tolerance without getting me noticeably very high. Your mileage may vary as this is all my opinion.

11. ginolicious

Man that took me days to understand haha. I use the decarbed cannabis for topical creams rather than ingestion.

Wow I’m an idiot. I decarb in oven at 230F cause my oven is in F. But my vape. I run at 185-200C. ‍♂️

Genki88 likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors