Did Samuel Jackson give me bad advice?

Bojanglez

so, I followed Sam's advice last night and I used 15 grams of mids and 1 stick of butter (was making a small-ish test amount to try things out) but after about 18 hours in the fridge there has still been no separation, so I basically have a big puddle of brown water with a few, waxy bits on top.

Ewww.

butter.jpg

So, what did I do wrong and is there any way to salvage this? I had thought about perhaps boiling this up again (it boiled for 3 hours last night) but am not sure if I'm wasting my time and was hoping someone here might be able to help out?

thanks in advance!

Bojanglez,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
It looks to me like you didn't get all the butter out of your herb. Did you really squeeze the leftover herb after straining to get everything out of it you could? I don't know that there is much you can do to salvage this..... sorry.

momofthegoons,

Bojanglez

momofthegoons said:
It looks to me like you didn't get all the butter out of your herb. Did you really squeeze the leftover herb after straining to get everything out of it you could? I don't know that there is much you can do to salvage this..... sorry.
thanks for the response - yup, I squeezed it, and I did everything I could to get it out but as you can see, something obviously didn't work.

Meh.

Bojanglez,

Sour Deez

How much water did you use?

Definetly looks interesting, never came out with anything like that. And was the ABV or buds?

People will re-boil their butter multiple times with fresh water after they have waited for it to seperate to get all the green out of their butter so it tastes like actual butter again, so i dont see it hurting boiling it back down with more water, just not sure if that will help.

Also whats the texture of the stuff in the pic? is it like water or butter?

Sour Deez,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Just curious; did you add anything at all which could have emusified your butter/water?

Tom

tdavie,

Tuck

Try throwing another stick of butter in the water and bringing it to a boil then reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Then separate the butter and water. Also use something with a smaller mouth for that.

Tuck,

Bojanglez

Sour Deez said:
How much water did you use?
a large metal pasta pot (very similar to Samuel's in the linked page) filled about 75% of the way. I did top more water during the cooking process to stop it drying out.

Sour Deez said:
Definetly looks interesting, never came out with anything like that. And was the ABV or buds?
it was bud, not ABV.

Sour Deez said:
People will re-boil their butter multiple times with fresh water after they have waited for it to seperate to get all the green out of their butter so it tastes like actual butter again, so i dont see it hurting boiling it back down with more water, just not sure if that will help.
at this point it's a wash, so i'm going to give it a go.

Sour Deez said:
Also whats the texture of the stuff in the pic? is it like water or butter?
it's like sour milk on the top, watery underneath. There is a skin forming but it's barely there.

Bojanglez,

Bojanglez

tdavie said:
Just curious; did you add anything at all which could have emusified your butter/water?

Tom
No, sir. It was just water, my bud and the stick of butter.

Tuck said:
Try throwing another stick of butter in the water and bringing it to a boil then reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Then separate the butter and water. Also use something with a smaller mouth for that.
I'll give that a go.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, it's really appreciated :)

Bojanglez,

treecityrnd

Buds and not ABV? Sorry.

Did you cure your bud before the extraction? Most of the time you don't have to worry about ABV as its already decarb'd. However, you may want to try a food dehydrater or the oven for a little. Usually helps with the extraction process IMO (and definitely with the psychoactivity).

treecityrnd,

Bojanglez

treecityrnd said:
Buds and not ABV? Sorry.

Did you cure your bud before the extraction? Most of the time you don't have to worry about ABV as its already decarb'd. However, you may want to try a food dehydrater or the oven for a little. Usually helps with the extraction process IMO (and definitely with the psychoactivity).
sorry to be dense but even though I'm a long time smoker, I'm fairly new to eating it - could you provide any more details on extraction? how long does it go in the over for & at what temp?

Bojanglez,

Sour Deez

Look up decarboxylation on google. In a nutshell its a process that turns acids into actives. You do it before you add the bud and butter together, i dont believe you can do it after, could be wrong tho?

Sour Deez,

weedemon

enthusiast
ive never seen it turn out like that bud. :(

the colour is totally fucked up too. shuld be a pale yellow/green. :(

there is nothing except water, butter and your herbs that went into the cook?

weedemon,

Bojanglez

Sour Deez said:
Look up decarboxylation on google. In a nutshell its a process that turns acids into actives. You do it before you add the bud and butter together, i dont believe you can do it after, could be wrong tho?
awesome - thank you very much for the tip!

weedemon said:
ive never seen it turn out like that bud. :(

the colour is totally fucked up too. shuld be a pale yellow/green. :(

there is nothing except water, butter and your herbs that went into the cook?
Nope, it was just the herbs, butter and the water. I have made it before via a different method (putting the butter in a bowl that sits in the water so they never actually mix) but this just seemed to go HORRIBLY wrong!

StickyShisha said:
and this was butter, not some kind of low fat substitute?
It was a stick of this stuff so i think we're ok -

productImage_sticks.jpg

Just kidding - it was the same butter my girlfriend uses to cook with, so I think we're ok although I will check the packaging when I get home later.

Thanks again, guys. work has been so busy I haven't had a chance to try and fix this yet (or throw it away), I will update the post as/when I figure out what I'm going to do.

Bojanglez,

Sour Deez

Im betting it has something to do with the butter, thats the only thing i can think of that went wrong.

I make mine in a mason jar, put bud and butter in there and put the jar sealed in a pot of boiling water. I do that for smell reasons, it comes out good. I dont add water with my method but it would help extract some of the chlorophyll, which would help it taste more like butter.

Sour Deez,

Bojanglez

Sour Deez said:
Im betting it has something to do with the butter, thats the only thing i can think of that went wrong.

I make mine in a mason jar, put bud and butter in there and put the jar sealed in a pot of boiling water. I do that for smell reasons, it comes out good. I dont add water with my method but it would help extract some of the chlorophyll, which would help it taste more like butter.
that's how I first made mine and it worked great, I was just curious to try Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackon's recipe - and it cost me 15 motherfuckin' grams o'bud :)

As to the butter, I think that may be the actual problem - I just looked at the wrapper and it's "Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter" - again, forgive my lack of understanding on this subject, is this the 'right' type of butter to use?

Bojanglez,

weedemon

enthusiast
never heard of sweet cream butter. I think that's your issue man.

you want plain butter salted or not. doesn't matter. but regular plain jane butter.

weedemon,

Bojanglez

weedemon said:
never heard of sweet cream butter. I think that's your issue man.

you want plain butter salted or not. doesn't matter. but regular plain jane butter.
so, my girlfriend (bless her!) is telling me this IS regular, plain jane butter but I am going to take a trip to the store tomorrow for investigative purposes!

any one got any brand recommendations?

Bojanglez,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Sweet cream butter is just plain ol' butter.

I do have 1 suggestion. Next time you decide to experiment... don't use 15 gr of BUD. :cool:

BigDaddyVapor,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Do you use well water?, just a thought going by the color of your end product.

DeepFried,

Bojanglez

BigDaddyVapor said:
Sweet cream butter is just plain ol' butter.

I do have 1 suggestion. Next time you decide to experiment... don't use 15 gr of BUD. :cool:
awesome advice - and you're right. If I want to try making this recipe, i should just boil up butter and then estimate how strong it'll be when I add herb.

again, thanks for the stellar advice.

Bojanglez,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
Generally I don't put it RIGHT into the fridge. I let the butter/water mix sit out for a few hours, then put in the fridge overnight, and this is when it usually separates for me. For some reason if it's still really hot and I put it into the fridge, it seems to cool too fast before all the oil and water are completely separated. If this happens I end up with many small round particles of solid butter in the water instead of a solid chunk.

After that I use a spoon to scoop the chunks of cannabutter onto paper towels to remove last water, then put into ziplock bag and into freezer. Later cut into serving size chunks and keep stored in freezer always or it can go rancid in the fridge. Did you ever have any luck?

MikRoOrganix,

Jaytee

I don't really like the Samuel Jackson method.

Next time make a double boiler. Basically, instead of putting the butter and weed right in the boiling water, put a smaller pot in your pot of boiling water, and put the butter and weed in the smaller pot. It works on the same principle (boiling water will stay at 100* C consistently), but the weed stays in direct contact with the butter at all times (making for a more efficient simmering process) and you needn't wait for the butter and water to cool or separate (where it looks like you ran into problems). Other than that, it's pretty much the same recipe.

Good luck on your next batch.

Jaytee,

Khantagious

Double boiler is definitely nice for temperature control. But mixing the whole thing with water has benefits in addition to controlling temperature. The cannabinoid compounds will stay dissolved in the butter, but the undesirable compounds (hydrocarbons, fertilizers, salts) will dissolve in the water, and will not wind up in your butter after you cool the butter and discard the water. You can even repeat the process, replacing the dirty water with fresh, clean water in between each cooling, which makes the resulting butter much tastier.

Khantagious,
Top Bottom