Did anybody else read the 'Marijuana is safer" book? Discuss.

OK, so AGBeer posted a link for a free PDF copy of the book 'Marijuana is safer - Why are we driving people to drink' last week.
Who read it and what did you learn?

I for one thought I was pretty well-read on the subject but in fact learned quite a bit.

For one thing, most of America has been and is being woefully mis-educated about our little green friend and its relative safety compared to alcohol. In fact, the DEA's judge concluded in 1988 that "Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest
therapeutically active substances known to man ..." The World Health Organization later agreed but knuckled under to US pressure and modified their statement.

Also, if you don't know who Harry J. Anslinger was, you definitely need to find out, in order to really understand why we are where we are, law-wise.

But, the big thing I got out of it is that it seems Big Alcohol (brewers and distillers) may be contributing quite a bit to the continued prohibition of cannabis in America. Wait till you find out just how many beer and liquor lobbyists are spreading money around DC. :uhoh:

It makes sense really, if you think about it. Who stands to lose the most (besides foreign drug cartels) if marijuana is legalized and actually becomes known by the public as the "safer alternative" to drinking that we know it is?

That's right, the alcohol industry. I believe beer and hard liquor sales would almost certainly be hurt to some degree if pot was easily and legally obtainable to everyone of legal age. While I don't think keg parties will become extinct at colleges, I do think a whole lot more toking will be going on and that will mean less money to spend on the hard stuff ... and probably less inclination in that direction anyway.

I'm sure they will stay in business because responsible drinking is still somewhat safe and quite a few people will keep on drinking and staying addicted, getting drunk, getting sick, getting in brawls and beating their spouses.
But imagine how many won't. :)

Howie Feltersnatch,

panasonic

I liked it, except the part about the "lines to use when talking to people". I know it's not that big of a deal, but it definitely read a lot like a "lines to use when helping people find God"

panasonic,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I will say that this book helped further educate me on several things as well. And like you Howitzer, I too was surprised about the big bev companies and how they (mau) secretly have a hand in all of this as well!

For the longest time we have been pointing the finger at big pharma and tobacco, while the BMC conglomerate is behind the scenes helping to pull some strings as well. I think I plan to re-read this book again as I read it rather briefly the first time. Awesome reading, very well laid out and plenty of very valid points and arguments.
Great read that I recommend for anyone (consumer or not) :)

AGBeer,
Top Bottom