DHO, dimethyl ether, dimethyl hash oil, cannabis extraction, procedures and recipes

marcofreccia

Hello everyone . I'm doing several researches on dimethyl ether extraction.
I am learning many things But what I can't find is the correct procedure. There is information on the chemical composition of the gas, the dangers etc etc but no one tells us how to actually prepare ash oil.
I would like everyone to write their own extraction method here.
Does cannabis have to be in flower or ground ? Fresh or dry ?
Do you decarb the cannabis first or is it not necessary? Do you have to press it in the tube or just fill the tube without crushing it ?
Do you put baking paper or silicone mat in the container? When the liquid forms, the pan is placed in a bain-marie until the gas evaporates.
Then is it always necessary to purge in a vacuum chamber? I have also read to put the extract in ethyl alcohol, dissolve the extract and leave it in the freezer for 24 hours and then filter it and let the alcohol evaporate completely. Is it correct ?
I thank all those who will tell their method, what they think is best and that we exchange suggestions to get the best result.
If you also tell us your level of experience, it is welcome. Thank you all !

marcofreccia,
Reactions: GoldenBud

XMAXVAPORIZER

Manufacturer
I did it once or two, setup is identical to bho, put the whole flowers in the tube, don't grind it cause DH is already a pretty strong solvent, grind will give you shitty dho, I did it dry cause with fresh flowers the amount you can load is smaller and it's more tricky to load without to pack it too tight. I did fresh frozen flowers extractions a few times, taste is outstanding (even too much for my liking) but be carefull the blow-backs if it was packed too tight, yield is lower for sure.
You decarb only if you intend to use the dho for edibles, if flowers are dry you can pack it tight. I recommand you to extract directly in a flat and large pyrex dish, you'll have to scrape the dho with a razor blade but it's safer than to extract on a silicone mat or baking paper.

It's a lot more work to purge dho than to purge bho, extract directly with your pyrex dish sitting on 65°C water (bain-marie), with bho with a small extraction yield it's enough to remove the butane (I add a few drops of iso/etho to keep the wax runny enough for the tane evap process and wait an extra 24h to be sure the extra alcohol get time to evaporate too). With DHO it will be not enough, I had to purge it again in my baking oven until it stop to bubble up at 65-70°C.

Final result didn't meet my expectations, too much fats and chlorophyll, taste was off, large yield though... but not worth it in my humble opinion (but I understand I gave up pretty fast and never looked back anymore...)

marcofreccia

Hi . Thank you very much . I tried once . With old flowers so as not to waste good harvests. I noticed exactly what you say. The flowers must be fresh and should not be pressed. Even decarboxylation should not be carried out, as instead i had read on other websites .
If you grind the herb you don't get as good a result as well . Thank you for the confirmation, I had some doubts and I will follow your advice. I'm waiting for a new harvest. In the meantime I got a vacuum chamber, a vacuum pump and material for winterization (filters, alcohol, filtration kit)
Luckily i found a bottle of pure alcohol , like everclear .
They told me that selling it in Malta was prohibited but I managed to find a shop that sells it, at least it's food grade and it's good for a start
If you grind the herb you don't get as good a result as you say. Thank you for the confirmation, I had some doubts and I will follow your advice. I'm waiting for a new harvest. In the meantime I got a vacuum chamber, a vacuum pump and material for winterization (filters, alcohol, filtration kit). I think winterization is mandatory if you want to eliminate wax and chlorophyll . In the future perhaps I will equip myself with tools such as the vacuum oven but at the moment I want to do some tests to practice.
The best thing is to keep a note of all the operations so that you can correct them for future extractions or change some parameters. I'll do an update soon. Thanks

marcofreccia,

marcofreccia

I did it once or two, setup is identical to bho, put the whole flowers in the tube, don't grind it cause DH is already a pretty strong solvent, grind will give you shitty dho, I did it dry cause with fresh flowers the amount you can load is smaller and it's more tricky to load without to pack it too tight. I did fresh frozen flowers extractions a few times, taste is outstanding (even too much for my liking) but be carefull the blow-backs if it was packed too tight, yield is lower for sure.
You decarb only if you intend to use the dho for edibles, if flowers are dry you can pack it tight. I recommand you to extract directly in a flat and large pyrex dish, you'll have to scrape the dho with a razor blade but it's safer than to extract on a silicone mat or baking paper.

It's a lot more work to purge dho than to purge bho, extract directly with your pyrex dish sitting on 65°C water (bain-marie), with bho with a small extraction yield it's enough to remove the butane (I add a few drops of iso/etho to keep the wax runny enough for the tane evap process and wait an extra 24h to be sure the extra alcohol get time to evaporate too). With DHO it will be not enough, I had to purge it again in my baking oven until it stop to bubble up at 65-70°C.

Final result didn't meet my expectations, too much fats and chlorophyll, taste was off, large yield though... but not worth it in my humble opinion (but I understand I gave up pretty fast and never looked back anymore...)
" I recommand you to extract directly in a flat and large pyrex dish, you'll have to scrape the dho with a razor blade but it's safer than to extract on a silicone mat or baking paper " Why is better ? I saw many videos with baking paper .

XMAXVAPORIZER

Manufacturer
Cause baking paper is covered with a thin layer of silicone, I remenber it was yet not recommanded to use it with tane... Dimethylether being more agressive I wouldn't use baking paper too... Peoples use it for convenience but the chemicals in the silicone could leach in your final product though. Really, this is just add scrapping to the process! Try to find the razor blades sold to clean the windows, you can find it in every hardware shops and it's not expensive.
To be honnest everything I learnt is coming from this forum and its awesome members, please take time to read a thread about butane extraction process and a DME thread exists too.

FC will be your best friend now :evil:

marcofreccia

Cause baking paper is covered with a thin layer of silicone, I remenber it was yet not recommanded to use it with tane... Dimethylether being more agressive I wouldn't use baking paper too... Peoples use it for convenience but the chemicals in the silicone could leach in your final product though. Really, this is just add scrapping to the process! Try to find the razor blades sold to clean the windows, you can find it in every hardware shops and it's not expensive.
To be honnest everything I learnt is coming from this forum and its awesome members, please take time to read a thread about butane extraction process and a DME thread exists too.

FC will be your best friend now :evil:
Brilliant. I did not think about it . Yes, it could be unhealthy. That's why I opened this thread to delve into the various details. Thank you

Okla68

Lost count of how many Ethanol Extraction I have made using Everclear.
Freeze everything !!! Dryed, cured flower, the EC....Break larger buds, DO NOT GRIND...WHEN FROZEN(24 HOURS) in qt jar, cover with frozen temp EC ! LIGHTLY swirl while still in freezer(too much agitation it releases too much Chlorophyll, EC will also dissolve chlorophyll if left exposed too long)....about 60-90 seconds...pour thru frozen coffee filter while in freezer...once filtered, pour into a pyrex cakepan sit on a a slow cooker base till evapped. Scrap with a razor blade...if you dry heat it too long, the result will shatter minute particles everywhere...I gather mine into a class Concentrate container(lid off) and let sit for 24 hours to finish the crackoff of the alcohol. If you want to Decarb, just sit the lil jar back on the heat base till it quits bubbling.
Ive made some absolute Top Shelf Shatter...of course, final product is determined by strain as to whether it turns shattery or pasty.
Had "oldtimers"(like me) say it ranked at the Top of Concentrate theyve done !

Keeping ALL MATERIAL FROZEN TEMP gives the best results...too warm or too much agitation releases too much Chlorophyll. Once filtered, the EC may have a Green tint to it. Briefly sit it in the sun and it will turn Golden in color. Then pour it into the cakepan on the heating base. DO NOT OVER DRY....Once it cools when you try and scrape it, it splatters minute glitter EVERYWHERE....SCRAPE WHILE STILL RATHER WARM TO PREVENT THIS !!!
If done properly, it will result in a piece of Amber Glasslike Shatter. Some strains will eventually become more Budder like after a few days exposed to the air.

Last edited:

marcofreccia

Lost count of how many Ethanol Extraction I have made using Everclear.
Freeze everything !!! Dryed, cured flower, the EC....Break larger buds, DO NOT GRIND...WHEN FROZEN(24 HOURS) in qt jar, cover with frozen temp EC ! LIGHTLY swirl while still in freezer(too much agitation it releases too much Chlorophyll, EC will also dissolve chlorophyll if left exposed too long)....about 60-90 seconds...pour thru frozen coffee filter while in freezer...once filtered, pour into a pyrex cakepan sit on a a slow cooker base till evapped. Scrap with a razor blade...if you dry heat it too long, the result will shatter minute particles everywhere...I gather mine into a class Concentrate container(lid off) and let sit for 24 hours to finish the crackoff of the alcohol. If you want to Decarb, just sit the lil jar back on the heat base till it quits bubbling.
Ive made some absolute Top Shelf Shatter...of course, final product is determined by strain as to whether it turns shattery or pasty.
Had "oldtimers"(like me) say it ranked at the Top of Concentrate theyve done !

Keeping ALL MATERIAL FROZEN TEMP gives the best results...too warm or too much agitation releases too much Chlorophyll. Once filtered, the EC may have a Green tint to it. Briefly sit it in the sun and it will turn Golden in color. Then pour it into the cakepan on the heating base. DO NOT OVER DRY....Once it cools when you try and scrape it, it splatters minute glitter EVERYWHERE....SCRAPE WHILE STILL RATHER WARM TO PREVENT THIS !!!
If done properly, it will result in a piece of Amber Glasslike Shatter. Some strains will eventually become more Budder like after a few days exposed to the air.
Lots of good advice. Can I use this method in the winterization phase? From what I understand you are talking about ethanol extraction. I want to extract with Dimethyl first. Then for the product I get I can follow your advice. One thing caught my attention. In order for shatter to become gold I have to put it in the sun. How long ? Until it changes color? Here in Malta the sun is very strong, could the temperature be a problem? Thank you

marcofreccia,
Reactions: Okla68

Okla68

Lots of good advice. Can I use this method in the winterization phase? From what I understand you are talking about ethanol extraction. I want to extract with Dimethyl first. Then for the product I get I can follow your advice. One thing caught my attention. In order for shatter to become gold I have to put it in the sun. How long ? Until it changes color? Here in Malta the sun is very strong, could the temperature be a problem? Thank you
It takes about 45-60 minutes. Not temp related as ive done it when 32°F outside.
Its Not putting the Shatter itself into the sun, but, the filtered solvent wash prior to drying in the cake pan.
I have pics of the Amber crystal, but dont know hiw to load them.

Last edited:

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
" I recommand you to extract directly in a flat and large pyrex dish, you'll have to scrape the dho with a razor blade but it's safer than to extract on a silicone mat or baking paper " Why is better ? I saw many videos with baking paper .
I can't remember the name of the product we used .it wasn't baking paper but similar and expensive. It was to not agitate the terps with scraping up the oil. You could spray directly on paper then move to vac chamber. I'm pretty sure it's all discussed in concentrate for noobs
I apologize it's been a long while since I've made my own.
Edit I think they were ptfe sheets. Fold edges in like a a square bowl blast into.
Save the scraping out of the pyrex. And saves the terps.

Last edited:

marcofreccia

I can't remember the name of the product we used .it wasn't baking paper but similar and expensive. It was to not agitate the terps with scraping up the oil. You could spray directly on paper then move to vac chamber. I'm pretty sure it's all discussed in concentrate for noobs
I apologize it's been a long while since I've made my own.
Edit I think they were ptfe sheets. Fold edges in like a a square bowl blast into.
Save the scraping out of the pyrex. And saves the terps.
You are right . i found this virgin PTFE sheet, non-stick, resistant to Dimethyl ether (DME) and n-Butane gases. It's a company based in Europe . Soon i will make an order from them . Looks very professional for butane , dimethyl and accessories .

Top Bottom