Dewaxing but mixture won't strain

rob555

Ive had 3g of wax dissolved in Everclear that has been in the freezer trying to strain through an unbleached coffee filter for nearly 12 hours now. Very little has gone through. Help?

rob555,
Reactions: Joel W.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
You might try adding some more Everclear to it to dissolve it some more. Make sure the Everclear you add has been in the freezer as well. I remember when I was doing something similar, I'd keep squirting little bits of Everclear onto the filter with a syringe, until all that was left on the filter was a white, waxy substance.

Hope that helps.

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Did you happen to "dampen" the filter(s) with Ethanol (Everclear) prior to your pour?..
This helps a little...

What really kicks up filtering times is a lab Buchner Funnel...

An array here..
https://www.google.com/#q=vacuum+assisted+buchner+funnel&tbm=shop

I would just get the funnel and beaker, and by a Mity-Vac Brake Bleeder as your vacuum assist.

About 60$ total for hand vac, and decent Buchner Funnel.

This is awesome for Winterization and for Qwick wash extracts like Qwiso, or Qwet.
Hope this helps..

Last edited:

herbivore21

Did you happen to "dampen" the filter(s) with Ethanol (Everclear) prior to your pour?..
This helps a little...

What really kicks up filtering times is a lab Buchner Funnel...

An array here..
https://www.google.com/#q=vacuum+assisted+buchner+funnel&tbm=shop

I would just get the funnel and beaker, and by a Mity-Vac Brake Bleeder as your vacuum assist.

About 60& total for hand vac, and decent Buchner Funnel.

This is awesome for Winterization and for Qwick wash extracts like Qwiso, or Qwet.
Hope this helps..
What my man said above about using pressure to push your solution through filter may help.

However, you probably need to dilute your solution with more ethanol first - I tend to find that if your solution won't filter even after long periods using gravity to draw it through, attempts to force it can break the filter or cause spills if you aren't careful!

Out of interest, how much ethanol did the OP dissolve those 3g of wax in?

Top Bottom