Decarbing Ground Flower in Hot Oil

Dinkleburry

Hello, I've searched this site forums to see if decarbing flower with hot oil is doable and was not able to find anything, same with google searches. I was looking for a summation of some personal experience with this technique:

1- Finely grind 1 ounce of flower into a Mason Jar
2- Heat 10-14 Fl Oz. coconut oil to 250F
3- Safely pour heated coconut oil into Mason Jar with ground flower and seal the jar with lid
4- Place sealed jar into a deep pot with boiling water/sous vide kit ( w/ exension wire outdoors to keep smell out)
5- Leave in the heated condition for 1 hour
6- Use mesh filter to extract plant matter from Coconut Oil

Curious is this method will yield potent oil. Mainly wondering how long should this stay heated and which temp is ideal once the hot oil is in. Will the heat of the oil suffice? Should I even bother with a hot water bath to keep temps high? I will not be mixing this with anything, just using a 1teaspoon scoop into my mouth.

Dinkleburry,

shredder

Curious is this method will yield potent oil.

I used to decarb something like what you proposed, it worked sometimes, but it was wildly inconsistent. The problem so I understand, is the oil insulates the canna oil so your oil temperature isn’t the canna oil temp, and if you decarb for a longer time to make sure your really decarbing, you chance over decarbing. There are a lot of ways to decarb, but to start it helps to have bone dry weed, and decarb at 240 degrees F for 40 minutes in an oven, or just follow the instructions on a decarb machine or use a soup vide or instant pot.

Dinkleburry

I used to decarb something like what you proposed, it worked sometimes, but it was wildly inconsistent. The problem so I understand, is the oil insulates the canna oil so your oil temperature isn’t the canna oil temp, and if you decarb for a longer time to make sure your really decarbing, you chance over decarbing. There are a lot of ways to decarb, but to start it helps to have bone dry weed, and decarb at 240 degrees F for 40 minutes in an oven, or just follow the instructions on a decarb machine or use a soup vide or instant pot.
Yes, I understand there is a sweet spot with decarbing. Does it matter if it's heated through convection (weed in oven with heat in the air) versus conduction (hot oil w/ ground weed)? I would be applying agitation to the jar to mix up the ground weed every 15mins so temperature is even. I guess I am wondering if the carboxylic acid subgroup requires air to be removed or just heat.

Mainly trying to avoid decarbing weed in open air/oven because it smells up the whole block and I require discretion where I live.

Dinkleburry,
Reactions: shredder

sickmanfraud

Yes, I understand there is a sweet spot with decarbing. Does it matter if it's heated through convection (weed in oven with heat in the air) versus conduction (hot oil w/ ground weed)? I would be applying agitation to the jar to mix up the ground weed every 15mins so temperature is even. I guess I am wondering if the carboxylic acid subgroup requires air to be removed or just heat.

Mainly trying to avoid decarbing weed in open air/oven because it smells up the whole block and I require discretion where I live.

If you want discretion then you should look for a decarboxylation machine. I personally use the Ardent FX. Do your research on the various machines. You could put the decarb machine outside with an extension cord.

Trying to decarb in oil will get you oil that is hit or miss as @shredder mentioned. You would also likely wind up with oil that tastes like a$$.

Unless you get free cannabis, a decarb machine will save you money almost immediately. You will require less cannabis for the same effects.

shredder

You could use a jar to hold your cannabis in the oven to limit the aroma.

shredder,
Reactions: Grass Yes

bulllee

Agent Provocateur
Hello, I've searched this site forums to see if decarbing flower with hot oil is doable and was not able to find anything, same with google searches. I was looking for a summation of some personal experience with this technique:

1- Finely grind 1 ounce of flower into a Mason Jar
2- Heat 10-14 Fl Oz. coconut oil to 250F
3- Safely pour heated coconut oil into Mason Jar with ground flower and seal the jar with lid
4- Place sealed jar into a deep pot with boiling water/sous vide kit ( w/ exension wire outdoors to keep smell out)
5- Leave in the heated condition for 1 hour
6- Use mesh filter to extract plant matter from Coconut Oil

Curious is this method will yield potent oil. Mainly wondering how long should this stay heated and which temp is ideal once the hot oil is in. Will the heat of the oil suffice? Should I even bother with a hot water bath to keep temps high? I will not be mixing this with anything, just using a 1teaspoon scoop into my mouth.
You can decarb using your Sous Vide . Just take your herb and place it in a double sealed bag , decarb @ 197 degrees for 2 hours . Then add your oil, or fat to your weed in a mason jar and Sous Vide @ 185 for 4 hours. Very little smell, almost none. I don't grind my flower I break it up by hand. It's less trouble to filter. Works like a charm :D.

bulllee,

Dinkleburry

Hmm, I guess I will try my method and post results. I am not making this to enjoy its flavor, I would hopefully like to make a potent oil that will be effective. I would simply be dosing on a teaspoon or less of the cannabis infused oil. Thank you for your suggestions <3

Dinkleburry,
Reactions: DrJynx86
Top Bottom