Decarbed Flower got Moldy?

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
About a week ago, I decarbed about 1-1/2 oz of tossed salad flower that I had so I could make some edibles. I separated 2 grams out of the larger batch for a test project and put it in a small jar. I looked at the jar this morning and it was covered in mold. It is stored in the same place I store all my grown/cured flower, and none of it has any evidence of mold, so I don't believe it's the environment of the closet. The larger jar of decarbed flower also has no evidence of mold, but I promptly threw it in the freezer until I can find out what is causing this, because I really don't want to lose the whole batch. Has anyone else had this happen, and what could cause it?

GoldenBud

mold can grow in an organic compound as well, you checked your cap of the jar?
it had some pickings of some organic material? was the jar wet?
try wiping your jars before storing

shredder

About a week ago, I decarbed about 1-1/2 oz of tossed salad flower that I had so I could make some edibles. I separated 2 grams out of the larger batch for a test project and put it in a small jar. I looked at the jar this morning and it was covered in mold. It is stored in the same place I store all my grown/cured flower, and none of it has any evidence of mold, so I don't believe it's the environment of the closet. The larger jar of decarbed flower also has no evidence of mold, but I promptly threw it in the freezer until I can find out what is causing this, because I really don't want to lose the whole batch. Has anyone else had this happen, and what could cause it?

Mold spores are everywhere, especially this time of year. When the conditions are there, they grow. My guess is the buds you jared were too moist. I've lost water hash that way, I stored it before it was totally dry.

I wouldn't freeze damp buds either. Freezing breaks down cellular walls making it even easier to mold once thawed. I'd dry them properly and store normal.

nickdanger

Mold spores are everywhere, especially this time of year. When the conditions are there, they grow. My guess is the buds you jared were too moist. I've lost water hash that way, I stored it before it was totally dry.

I wouldn't freeze damp buds either. Freezing breaks down cellular walls making it even easier to mold once thawed. I'd dry them properly and store normal.
Thanks, I'll pull them out of the freezer and lay them out to dry. It must have been more damp than I thought when I jarred it. I put it in the freezer out of panic...

nickdanger,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
To avoid mold, you need to watch closely your relative humidity (RH %) and your temperatures. Mold can grow anytime, anywhere if there is stagnant air, mold spores (environmental and hard to avoid), the right temperature (above 70F) and the right humidity (usually above 70%).

Get all of those in check and you will avoid mold. Best of luck on your next effort, and stay safe!

nickdanger

@psychonaut Thanks for the tips! I'm usually really careful because I have a lot of cured flower stored in jars, but I guess not careful enough with this small amount that I had decarbed. Luckily, it only ruined 2 grams. The large jar was fine, thank goodness. Have plans to do some cooking this weekend, and that would have messed up those plans.

shredder

To avoid mold, you need to watch closely your relative humidity (RH %) and your temperatures. Mold can grow anytime, anywhere if there is stagnant air, mold spores (environmental and hard to avoid), the right temperature (above 70F) and the right humidity (usually above 70%).

Get all of those in check and you will avoid mold. Best of luck on your next effort, and stay safe!

Unfortunitally there are different kinds of mold. A big one where I live thrives in damp 40-50 F degrees. Lots of outdoor grows in MI get bud rot ( Stachybotrys, and there's 50 species) as growers try to ripen a crop in less than ideal conditions.

shredder

I think these mold will die in the freezer

The trouble starts when you take it out and it thaws. If it's used right away your probably all right. It also helps if it's bone dry. Moisture and mold go together.

When your freeze herb, freezing breaks down cellular walls making it easier to mold when thawed. Damp herb is worse. Dry herb is bothered less, but then dry herb doesn't mold easy anyway, and doesn't need to be frozen.

When the conditions are right for mold and I have plants hanging that aren't drying fast I seal a room and run a dehumidifier to dry them. A smaller alternative is to use a food dehydrator. But you need to keep checking because too dry buds aren't good either.

Top Bottom