1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Decarb with an Instant Pot pressure cooker

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by PhilShifley, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Ron

Ron Active Member

I did this using a normal pressure cooker with I steamer insert and it worked great. My steamer keeps the jar out of the water, it gets heated by the stream instead. I used a small mason far with the lid tightened and then 1/4 turn loosened. My weed was dregs of various batches so I'm sure it had partially decarboxylated already. Due to the age of the weed I cooked it for 15 minutes only and let the pressure release naturally. No smell at all from the pressure cooker. The weed seemed a bit moist when the decarboxylation was complete so I tossed it in a toaster oven at 180f for minutes to dry it out. I then added a whack of coco oil and heated it up in an open pressure cooker (boiling water). When complete it had me stumbling while trying to use my treadmill, awesome!

For those of you worried about ruining good weed try out your setup with an empty jar and make sure it seals and is dry at the end.

2. lyttlefish

lyttlefish New Member

I tried a method posted in another thread. You use pint canning jars instead. It works great. You decarb for 40 minutes with a quick release and you cook with butter or oil for 20 minutes and let it release pressure naturally over 40 minutes.

I am concerned that the canning jars might explode..has anyone had a problem with this?
    Also I am new to this whole system. When I want to decarb, do I just put the aw weed in the jar or veggie cooker ? Is there no liquid required?Sorry to sound so naive. <')))><

3. EdibleNewbie

EdibleNewbie New Member

See my post below.

4. EdibleNewbie

EdibleNewbie New Member

You need to put the metal trivet in, sit the jar on the trivet, the fill the Instant Pot with water until it is about half way up the jar.

5. lyttlefish

lyttlefish New Member

thank you , I will give this method a try.

6. pxl_jockey

pxl_jockey Barely-Known Member

Sealed mason jars with trivet works a treat! I don’t need a special seal for my own dastardly intentions.

Someone expressed concern about canning jars exploding; there’s absolutely no danger of a canning jar exploding in the IP. Its pressure is nowhere near that of the pressure required for canning vegetables and fruits which is what the jars are meant for.

VaporWare, Helios and Squiby like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors