Da Buddha vs Underdog (tough choices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diebodie

For my budget (200$) and based on some reviews i've narrowed it down to two vapes. The da buddha and the underdog. I was wondering if anyone who's owned both of these machines could give me some insight into which one you preferred and why. I have a few categories of interest: heat up time, hit size, conservation, portability, reliability,ease of use, extra features and customization options.

diebodie,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I have a few categories of interest: heat up time, hit size, conservation, portability, reliability and ease of use.

Hi there. Let me preface by saying I own an UD, and a close friend has a DBV (per my suggestion, because he wanted something relatively hands free to hit while gaming).

Heat up time -
UD: Nonexistent because its always on.
DBV: ~5-10 minutes. However, I remember reading somewhere that 7th Floor had a heating element turned on for years in their factory that hadn't failed yet. I don't know if that's recommended, though.

Conservation
UD: wins this one easily. The UD can hold quite a varying amount, depending on how deep you make your bowl, and how full you load it. Log vapes are known to be very conservative, and accurate with their dosing. If you're running low, you can load as little as you want in the bowl; the UD isn't picky.

DBV: ...isn't a very good at conserving. Don't confuse this with being a bad vape, because that's definitely not the case. It just requires you to load up quite a bit if you want to have a satisfying experience. I forget how much by weight an average DBV bowl is, can someone chime in? Just know it works great, but you're roped into loading up a fair amount per bowl.

Reliable
I'd say both vapes are proven to be reliable thus far. Both well made, and have great customer service if something does go wrong.

Ease of use
This is a difficult question.

DBV: great for the fact you can load a fairly large amount, and hit it many times without reloading. So it shines in group sessions, or while watching watching a movie, etc.

UD: Overall, just very user friendly. Design and use is really simple. It's always ready to go, and I leave mine out on my desk because I also diffuse essential oils with it. I would give the UD the edge here too, just because I can get a session going in about 15 seconds, flat.

Both are great choices, but I think they are aimed at different parts of the market. Do you usually partake by yourself, or with a larger group?

diebodie

Thank you! That was very informative. I think for my style (smoking alone or with 1 close friend) and the conservation element the underdog might be a better choice for me. Appreciate your input man.

diebodie,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Thank you! That was very informative. I think for my style (smoking alone or with 1 close friend) and the conservation element the underdog might be a better choice for me. Appreciate your input man.

Always glad to help... let us know if you have any more questions :)

Peloton,

diebodie

On the UD is the stock temperature good or do i need to purchase a variable power supply? Can you more/less control the temperature through inhalation?

diebodie,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
On the UD is the stock temperature good or do i need to purchase a variable power supply? Can you more/less control the temperature through inhalation?

I used a VVPS for a while. It is nice to be able to control your temp easily. If you're the tinkering type, or perhaps like really low or high temp vapor, it'd be worth looking into. However, my VVPS crapped out on me a while back... apparently they don't like being left on for months on end like the UD does :)

Dave (creator of the UD) says something to the effect of "The stock supply works great for most people, most of the time". I find the stock supply to be adequate now that I've seen just how green the grass is on the other side; I haven't bothered getting my VVPS warrantied since it broke.

As for changing the temperature through inhalation speed, you don't have to worry about that. One of the remarkable things about the UD is the heat retention of the heater core. This means you can hit it many times back to back without having to wait for it to "catch up".

Peloton,
Reactions: diebodie

diebodie

Seems like a damn good vape. Surprised no one talks about it outside of FC. I guess that's why i joined though. ;) Thanks again man.

diebodie,
Reactions: mikeben

Your Highness

Cannasseur
Hi there. Let me preface by saying I own an UD, and a close friend has a DBV (per my suggestion, because he wanted something relatively hands free to hit while gaming).

Heat up time -
UD: Nonexistent because its always on.
DBV: ~5-10 minutes. However, I remember reading somewhere that 7th Floor had a heating element turned on for years in their factory that hadn't failed yet. I don't know if that's recommended, though.

Conservation
UD: wins this one easily. The UD can hold quite a varying amount, depending on how deep you make your bowl, and how full you load it. Log vapes are known to be very conservative, and accurate with their dosing. If you're running low, you can load as little as you want in the bowl; the UD isn't picky.

DBV: ...isn't a very good at conserving. Don't confuse this with being a bad vape, because that's definitely not the case. It just requires you to load up quite a bit if you want to have a satisfying experience. I forget how much by weight an average DBV bowl is, can someone chime in? Just know it works great, but you're roped into loading up a fair amount per bowl.

Reliable
I'd say both vapes are proven to be reliable thus far. Both well made, and have great customer service if something does go wrong.

Ease of use
This is a difficult question.

DBV: great for the fact you can load a fairly large amount, and hit it many times without reloading. So it shines in group sessions, or while watching watching a movie, etc.

UD: Overall, just very user friendly. Design and use is really simple. It's always ready to go, and I leave mine out on my desk because I also diffuse essential oils with it. I would give the UD the edge here too, just because I can get a session going in about 15 seconds, flat.

Both are great choices, but I think they are aimed at different parts of the market. Do you usually partake by yourself, or with a larger group?

I also own both and this post in my opinion is spot on. Dave makes some beautiful pieces that you will grow a personal connection to. The DBV is a sweet vape no doubt...but a Dog is a mans best friend!

Your Highness,
Reactions: Peloton

bigtvapes

I own a DBV and LOVE it, but it's my only desktop vape so I don't know better. I've been looking at the UD for a awhile now and it's on my wishlist for sure. This is a perfect thread for me, interesting points.

bigtvapes,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I own a DBV and LOVE it, but it's my only desktop vape so I don't know better. I've been looking at the UD for a awhile now and it's on my wishlist for sure

All I can suggest is to not spend any time on the UD website, or thinking about what custom creation could be made from the world's most exotic woods... once you see or imagine the one, it's all over. :lol:

Peloton,

headdoctor

I don't own either but I've looked hard at the UD, and I'd reiterate Peloton's post: the UDs are utterly gorgeous. I think that aesthetics matter in a vape (or a car or a camera or a life-partner). While using a vape brings obvious pleasures, there can be pleasure in holding or gazing at a beautiful unit, even when it's not in use.

headdoctor,

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
I own a DBV and have had it for years and i do want to make a contradiction to one pint... in the point when it comes to conservation one reviewer said the UD wins this hands down because you have to put alot in the DBV bowl. that is not entirely true. i have very often run low on my meds and needed to stretch them out till my next pick up. i can and have loaded very small amounts in my DBV (once i put in just enough so that i couldn't see the screen) and have been able to get medicated where i needed to be.

i'm not saying it is better at conservation than the UD... i just wanted to point out that the DBV can be VERY conservative as well.

mmenzie,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I own a DBV and have had it for years and i do want to make a contradiction to one pint... in the point when it comes to conservation one reviewer said the UD wins this hands down because you have to put alot in the DBV bowl. that is not entirely true. i have very often run low on my meds and needed to stretch them out till my next pick up. i can and have loaded very small amounts in my DBV (once i put in just enough so that i couldn't see the screen) and have been able to get medicated where i needed to be.

i'm not saying it is better at conservation than the UD... i just wanted to point out that the DBV can be VERY conservative as well.

Good point mmenzie, you definitely can load a small bowl in the DBV. Hits kind of weak with a small load (unfavorable vapor to air ratio), but will eventually get you there, no? Yes it works, but you can't expect to get as dense of vapor like if you loaded that pinch in something more conservative. Does your experience match mine?

Peloton,

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
Good point mmenzie, you definitely can load a small bowl in the DBV. Hits kind of weak with a small load (unfavorable vapor to air ratio), but will eventually get you there, no? Yes it works, but you can't expect to get as dense of vapor like if you loaded that pinch in something more conservative. Does your experience match mine?

i don't own a UD so i can't compare and i am willing to bet you are very correct in your statement and i am not going to argue it. i just wanted to point out i can load a small amount in. does the bowl get used quicker than a full one... obviously the answer is yes. i however do not notice a taste difference between a full bowl and a not so full bowl, the only thing i notice is that it does not last as long.

mmenzie,

bigtvapes

You're supposed to fill the DBV (based on the manufacturer instructions I'm looking at as I type) wand 1/8 of the way. Thats a smaller load than my Puffit.

bigtvapes,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Given the whip in the DBV, the bigger vapor path will allow for more condensation of THC along the walls of the tube, so even with equal loads there would be a better assimilation using the UD.

But the main reason, IMO, that allows the UD to be much more conservative is as simple as the size of the bowl. In my experience, and since i don't weigh my bowls, i put according to the size of the bowl in the vaporizer in question, and i invariably tend to put more in my DBV, Genie or DV than in my gn0me, WW or LB.

Since i use a similar vaporizer as the UD and i own a DBV, i can say that the main reason i use the WW is since it is so small and pratical.

the UD is always on, otherwise the DBV would heat up quicker. But it has WAY less parts, breakable parts at that, and it is easy to manouver. The DBV is a much less carefree experience, you have to watch out for the wand, to not spill it or break it, or burn yourself.

On the other hand, the DBV is much easier to pass around and have a fun experience with a group of friends and the temp control allows a more controled experience and more versatibility, as well as the possibility to use other herbs.

Taste is about the same, with a slight advantage to the UD, and apart from the glass parts, both units are extremely durable.

The UD works better with a bong than the DBV, although nowadays i just plug my whip in the downstem with no adapter and it is almost as pratical as the UD.

For my daily driver, the UD wins, it allows you to conserve without much concern, pratical and user friendly, and great taste.

The DBV is an acclaimed heavy-hitter which provides a wonderful tasty session and that also works great when you have friends over.

vorrange,
Reactions: diebodie
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom