d-limonene and extracting

jambandphan03

in flavor country
well, I'm looking forward to getting some of this, and having a chance try some things out. I have some reclaim iso that looks pretty dark, would like to see what it does with that.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

Venomous

an interesting looking effect happens when you put a few drops of d-lim into a pie dish and then run BHO into it. I was trying to add flavour while making the extract of regs, but what it made looked like a broken butter sauce as the butane was evaporating as if the butane oil mix was separating. the finished product had a SillyPutty texture.

So how did the putty taste?

Thanks for sharing that. The texture of my reclaim went from "black glass" to beautiful, deep amber, taffy. :) I can do anything with it now, even string dabs . . .

You're not making this easy you know. Has there been a full tutorial made on using this machine yet?

Venomous,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I may have thrown a little confusion in there, sorry folks, I just thought that extracting machine was cool, and might help us understand the process a bit. It has nothing to do with the DIY we are attempting to come up with, which is still up in the air at this time... I'm just going to pull the youtube link, so it doesn't offer more confusion, while I can still edit.

jambandphan03,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Right . . . lets be scientific, well if you READ the links I provided it gives a HUGE scientific insight as to what these guys are doing and why. I say again, if you understand CA law, and what these guys are doing you can put together a thought experiment, in your mind, that will allow you to understand what they are doing and why. They say their process takes 3 weeks. Why? INFUSION, and they admit to using grape seed oil. So. They are starting with bubble hash and then using a 3 week infusion to grape seed oil, then probably refining with some kind of alcohol wash, d-limo, and centrifuge and filtration action, maybe even through activated carbon granules . . .

The point of all of this is to examine the organic chemistry involved and see if we can improve our medicine with it. :peace:

Is D Lim making you blind or does it twist something in the understanding another human?

I'm out T-Dub & you are right, I will go and read for 14th time the PG site and believe all their marketing blabla as word of god!

BTW stable oils that you can sculpt, touch, modify or shape by hand without sticky residues is just clean oil, but you might not believe me as it is not stated on PG's site...my god!

Oh and just food for thoughts...:
The cig companies said for years the flavor additives were only there to "enhance the experience of smoking" and in the 60's a cig was good for your throat. We discovered afterwards ammoniac & co was not enhancing anything except our addiction!...
Irak did not carry mass destruction weapons...though we had extensive reports saying they were!...
OBL did not bomb the towers though I can read pages of scientific bullshit & figures explaining about how he did...Should I go on?

And if your point is to understand the organic chemistry involved then my questions about your 2nd ISO bath, the utility of this second bath etc... are totally relevant! Or me trying to understand what was behind this 2nd bath is my contribution to this quest!
And me trying to say we shouldn't believe/apply PG's site's data to our results as we are not using at all the same process... is also me whiling to go further with this organic chemistry quest, BUT IN THE RIGHT WAY!

Now I will not interfere anymore in your literal interpretation of PG's datas...have fun my friend! After 2 years of doing 2 times/week extractions and refining my final product & process (soaking, temperature, pressure, filtration, vac purge...) and as one of my fav. original products to do runs is bubble hash... I have nothing to do on this thread where my imputs are totally useless & irrelevant, I agree!
;-)

FLskwat,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Subbed. i have been curious about this solvent for a while. The boiling point of this solvent is is actually more then thc. Does that mean this solvent can only be removed by vac purge? Thats not the impression i got from those that have tried using it.....

Puffers,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
ok, everyone's opinion and experience is valid. just cuz t-dub finds some validity in using limon due to PG's use of it doesn't diminish whatever reasons flkswat has for wanting to use it. "we" don't need to use PG's use of limon as a reason, but that doesn't mean that if someone on this thread chooses to that the rest of us must or that he is entirely false in his reasoning. your first post on this thread could be construed as semi-hostile so that may have set the tone for further responses.
Am I following correctly? Cause I see no interest in "flavoring" my extracts...they are pretty darn tasty already! ROFL
i don't see why t-dub finding validity in using what data PG provides to try to understand this new solvent. he might find something in there that helps us. it may be damaging to use (in response to your comparison to tobacco additives), but that is neither here nor there. as the OP states, we aren't trying to justify it's use due to safety as we aren't doctors. we are assuming it's safe and trying to figure out how to use it. the "RIGHT WAY" to experiment sounds a little contradictory. am glad that you have a lot of experience and that you are methodical in your approach, flkswat, but t-dub is way out in theory stage and you are harassing him about how that will affect process, imho. on the other side, t-dub did seem to miss that you already were familiar about the PG's data and seemed to misconstrue your intentions (which objectively seemed more personally aggressive than they likely actually are). this is all from my twisted perspective. maybe i'm totally full of it. has happened before. my interests are not to attack, but to clarify and hopefully reach understanding so that we can go forward in a helpful collaborative effort. if that isn't part of your interests then there isn't much point in participating on a thread such as this, imo.
Flkswat, you may have wanted to know why t-dub did a secondary ISO wash, but it might have come off like, "well, why the hell did you do that?!". i was glad that you backed off a little when he explained that he wasn't sure, just experimenting, but your next barrage of dissent over bringing PG's data to the thread seemed more than a little over the top. then t-dub snapped back, then you did, and it's just gettin' worse. if you both admit that maybe you were over-reacting, we can all move on. otherwise it's all kinda pointless, imho.
again, hate me, say i'm crazy and full of it, but regardless, this isn't helpful. i am trying to be.
anyway, there's a dollars worth of opinion for ya.

Subbed. i have been curious about this solvent for a while. The boiling point of this solvent is is actually more then thc. Does that mean this solvent can only be removed by vac purge? Thats not the impression i got from those that have tried using it.....

boiling point has also been a concern of mine, which is why i was so surprised at how easily it evapped off. there is definitely some still in the product. hope to have a few runs done in a few days so i'll have a few different piles to experiment with this weekend.

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
+1000 Bob, my bad as I/my ego can snap when people do not hear what I'm saying and give me the same link I know as only explanation for a question that comes from knowing the content of that link and not seeing the relationship between a certain part of the process and the link...
I woke up this morning, saw T-Dub's answer and literally went like: "common', really, again?" :bang:
Please move on as I'm totally willing the community to achieve this quest and yes my tone was probably part of the problem SO SORRY about the unconstructive attitude from my side !

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
This whole thing started with me sharing in a private conversation. I wasn't expecting to get barraged with questions regarding process on something that happened once and that I am sharing . . . AND I didn't start this thread either . . . the reason I keep referring to reading material is because I am a thinker and do many "thought experiments" before bringing things into reality in my lab. What these people do say, and what they don't, in reflection with the law, speaks volumes about what they are dong.

If we can use d-limo to clean and enhance our medicine I am really interested in that. :peace:

jambandphan03

in flavor country
not entirely, I'm just having kinda bad time tonight, and wanted to help smooth things over, but just feel like I'm making it worse... :\

I hope this thread can get back on track while I'm gone this weekend. Hate to leave it in such a state but... I'll be gone thurs-sun

jambandphan03,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
not entirely, I'm just having kinda bad time tonight, and wanted to help smooth things over, but just feel like I'm making it worse... :\

I hope this thread can get back on track while I'm gone this weekend. Hate to leave it in such a state but... I'll be gone thurs-sun
sorry to hear that jam. i definitely know the feeling. sounds like its calming down already tho. enjoy your trip or whatever it is ur doing. we'll be here when ya get back.

Bob Loblaw,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
OK, I've just ordered myself some limo and ISO, I'm gonna be making some ABV QWISO soon.

So my options seem to be
  • Use limo as solvent, instead of ISO
  • Use ISO as solvent, throw in a few drops of limo during the purge
  • Use ISO as solvent, then re-dissolve in limo
I'm not sure which I'll use yet :shrug:
I'm leaning away from the 1st one though...

Frederick McGuire,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
what is making sense to me right now, based on what T-dub's experience was, is to make the oil, using as minimal of the alcohol solvent as possible to get a decent quick wash, evap off until it's mostly gone, drop in a few drops of the D-lim to see if it will cause the same separation of the contaminants, then use a smaller amount of alcohol to liquify it enough to filter, and then complete the evap/purge. I think the idea is to only use a few drops of the D-lim so you are adding a little as possible to get the desired effect. This will probably be how I conduct my first attempt unless we figure out a better way before my supplies show up.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: t-dub

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Fred I'm not sure using D-Lim as principal solvent is what you are aiming for, though it is with ABV so an experience is never bad!

I would do my traditional extraction with my chosen solvent (Tane-yes I know it's against CA laws, but basically all of this is against the laws of my country-, C02, ISO, heptane whatever!)
Then do my purge the way you are used to (low heat, vac, whipping, whatever!)
Then take part of my end product and try putting a little D-Lim on it: precipitates that you must separate form the oil.

Taking out the D-Lim here seems to be the tricky part: natural evap., filtration, freezing to separate...you have different options I suppose, and those need to be tested!

FLskwat,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I have also been reading about people doing a dry ice extract, to get the kif, and then turning that into oil to bypass exposing the solvent to a bunch of the plant matter. I know there is still plant matter in the dry ice kif, but not nearly as much as exposing leaf/bud to any of the solvents directly. Seems like a worthy idea to test out, if you are trying to avoid the chlorophyll. If you don't know about the dry ice extracting, look it up on youtube. Pretty safe and simple process, I want to try out some time soon. I am very curious to see what the D-lim can do... and curious to see what you guys find out with using other solvents including butane.

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
I have also been reading about people doing a dry ice extract, to get the kif, and then turning that into oil to bypass exposing the solvent to a bunch of the plant matter. I know there is still plant matter in the dry ice kif, but not nearly as much as exposing leaf/bud to any of the solvents directly. Seems like a worthy idea to test out, if you are trying to avoid the chlorophyll. If you don't know about the dry ice extracting, look it up on youtube. Pretty safe and simple process, I want to try out some time soon. I am very curious to see what the D-lim can do... and curious to see what you guys find out with using other solvents including butane.
I have been thinking about doing exactly this with trim. I can get a half or a whole pound of trim fairly cheap. Rather then using tons of solvent I was thinking about dry icing and then running it through the solvent.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Taking out the D-Lim here seems to be the tricky part: natural evap., filtration, freezing to separate...you have different options I suppose, and those need to be tested!
Tricky for who? Bob and I have gotten this stuff to evap easily. You couldn't clean carpet with it if it didn't . . . Can we please READ before commenting here?

t-dub,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
i haven't been able to remove all the limon from my bho. flavor definitely stays around. is probably less noticable w/ ABV. just got done doing a tami run. last run i cleanup up w/ limon. i didn't thoroughly clean the extraction tank of the limon residue and this next batch of oil has limon flavor to it. thankfully it's spread through a 6 gram run so it's not too strong. will mix it up with my large stash. will probably even out a little more as there is 10 or so grams in there. i am interested in getting a cleaner evap. also want to find out what limon is soluble in. i think that if there is something that works that way we will be much better off than trying to evap all of the limon thru heat and vac.

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: FLskwat

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I guess with just a few drops and my coffee warmer it wasn't an issue for me, but with the Tami, thats a whole other deal . . .

t-dub,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Go ahead and comment if it will ADD to what we are learning here without needlessly alarming people then offering no solutions . . .

t-dub,
Top Bottom