cyber monday - maybe an ipod touch?

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
i'm thinking of getting one - i don't really care about games but for handheld internet and personal assistant apps like appointments and reminders, plus of course music and the occasional movie.
should i spend extra for the 3rd gen - is it a significant improvement or is the 2nd gen fine enough?
anyone feel that the zune is a better option?

thanks.

jeffp,

Trixer

I honestly feel that the zune is a better option. I have not used the Zune touch, so I can not say specifically on that, but I have used all models of ipod, and all other models of the zune. I find my zune meshes better with my life (PC, and xbox 360) plus zune has the super kewl 15 dollar a month thing for unlimited music downloads, and well everything.. which I am sorry rocks so hard core (I know I have it)

Though Ipod has came along way both with itunes and the handhelds them selves, defently if your going to get one get 3rd gen, no sense in skipping improviements (after all they wouldnt be there if they weren't needed )

But take some time and look to see how each will mesh into your life, for instance that move.. on your ipod... what if you wanted to steam it to your 360 to watch it on the tv... or what if you wanted to stream all that music and moves on your home pc to your zune or 360.... can your ipod do that, hmm?

Ipod has a better support for apps, however with XNA (platform used to build stuff for the Zune) getting more and more popular by the day, Its only a matter of time really before we start seeing zune out shine the IPOD.

Trixer,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Ive got an older 30 gb zune and love it, but i disagree with alot of the above statements, Zune will never catch up to the iphone / ipod touch in apps. It wont happen unless microsoft creates a phone to mix in with the zune platform ( the mighty zune phone! ) and even then it would take a long time.

The zune pass is pretty damn cool but as soon as you stop paying for it all of the music you have downloaded will stop working and i find it much easier to hook up with TPB and UTorrent.

I am all for the itouch / iphone AS LONG AS THE USER IS PLANNING TO JAILBREAK! A jailbroken itouch / iphone is sweet as hell, some of the jailbroken apps will blow your mind.

Oh and if you want to stream media from your computer to your console ( 360 / ps3 ) use the media server client Tversity on your computer, easy squeezy vapor peezy.

Survivalism,

FEAR420

Bottom line is this...if you get an Ipod Touch,will you jailbreak it or not?? I have a 30GB Zune original & a 16GB Black iPhone 3G. The itunes interface is MUCH BETTER than the crappy Zune software that always freezes,hangs & crashes and its a CPU/GPU WHORE :mad: I personally was a Zune fanboy until I got my Iphone and saw how much easier it is to make playlists & sync up exactly what you want. Zune is good for just playing music & movies...If you wanna use apps to,then the iTouch is the way to go. Then just jailbreak it and go from there... Why Should I Jail Break??

Risk Free:
Jailbreaking is not unlocking! It is risk free. Everything that works before jailbreaking continues to work after. Jailbreaking only adds features. Jailbreaking is risk free and cannot void your warranty. You can simply restore in iTunes at anytime to get back to a factory state. You are not alone, many people are doing it. There are over 3 million jailbroken devices now!

FEAR420,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
i just KNEW that the discerning potheads on FC have the best general info on many unrelated matters...
i guess iTouch is the way to go, all in all, the 3rd gen. thanks...
(a friend in my building knows how to "jailbreak" it and it's an open offer to me....)

anyone use media monkey in place of iTunes?

jeffp,

Trixer

Hmm, I didnt know we were talking about the IPhone here, I only assumed that we were discussioning MP3 players and not phones.. maybe I was mistaken...

See a few things to think about... first off I tend to like to keep my things as legal as possible, so I dont do alot of downloading music.. I mean I do.. but why worry about it when I can pay 15 a month and have all the songs I Want.. no worry with sifting through torrent files.. or anything like that...

All my songs are properly labeled with proper genre, artists, and albums... something thats very hard to find in torrented music (or limewire, bearshare, whatever you want to use)

Further more, yes zune will catch up, because making stuff for the zune is about 10 times easier then making it for the ipod.. the closest hting to easy you get with the ipod is using unity3d engine... and thats only good for games. You heard it first guys, 3 years.. zune will win (think of a market that mircosoft competes in and it doesnt have the best... really...more people can argue a few.. but at the end of the day everyone knows microsoft puts out good products.. yeah I said that too)

Iphones are nice... I mean I guess.. I really dont do much with mine anymore.. I prefer my blackberry over my iphone.. might cell it (haha see what I did there with cell.. and sell)

Yeah, you can use playon, or tversity or any of those other programs to stream media through out your house.. but why.. when using an MS product it all just works together? Trust me I have worked with play on and tversity both of them are subpar programs at best, however I Would say playon is defently better most likely why it costs..

Jailbreaking is risk free, pretty easy, and really lets the ipod shine.. but why? I mean why buy something that you have to "jailbreak" to get the features you want.. why not just buy something that is limitless for the future... allows awesome applications to be built easy (check out xna you might learn something too) and regaurdless of what anyone says, or thinks. Will sooner or later take over the mp3 market just like MS takes over every market.

Really you should do your own research, see what you think, and if your already biased about one product then your most likely just going to be looking for excuses to use that one and could careless about the other one.

Zune to date I have heard no crazy horror stories about, and ipod.. well just google. I have owned both and never had any problems with either.. I just felt that the zune.. as I said earlier meshed much cleaner into my life style, from home to on the road there was always a reason to have my zune.. Ipod well.. it sits in my night stand more often then my pocket...

Trixer,

FEAR420

Only reason I mention the iPhone is because its what I own & know,aswell as the 30GB Zune player.Not to mention,the only real diff between the latest iTouches and iPhones is that one has a phone,the other doesnt...

FEAR420,

Trixer

FEAR420 said:
Only reason I mention the iPhone is because its what I own & know,aswell as the 30GB Zune player.Not to mention,the only real diff between the latest iTouches and iPhones is that one has a phone,the other doesnt...
Agreed completely, however a phone and a mp3 player serve very diffrent jobs in ones life, if we can include cellphones in the mix I would ditch both the iphone and zune and get something else lol....

So which one did you end up getting bro.. did you get the ipod or did you join the dark side (we have cookies, and girls like us!)

Trixer,

FEAR420

jeffp said:
anyone use media monkey in place of iTunes?
Ive used most apps that can sync an ipod/phone just to test them out & honestly,its easier to just stick with iTunes.Also,I dont think any 3rd party apps can sync apps to the iTouch...not 100% sure on that though. You can also try winamp if you have that,or do a google search for "itunes alternatives",probably a buncha new apps out now from the last time I checked.

FEAR420,

hopandstop

Have had an iPod Touch for about a year. It's a great device. Sturdy and great to pass the time. Agreed with FEAR420... sticking with iTunes is about as easy as it gets.

Also, a small detail I enjoy is, with Macs at least, you can plug and play with the iPod Touch. No having to click eject. Just plug in/unplug.

The Zune is a nice looking device. Have only seen and used in stores, but for the time being the iPod Touch is much more developed (in terms of available applications) as a multimedia device. That's not to say the Zune isn't capable of this in the near future.

hopandstop,

Trixer

hopandstop said:
Have had an iPod Touch for about a year. It's a great device. Sturdy and great to pass the time. Agreed with FEAR420... sticking with iTunes is about as easy as it gets.

Also, a small detail I enjoy is, with Macs at least, you can plug and play with the iPod Touch. No having to click eject. Just plug in/unplug.

The Zune is a nice looking device. Have only seen and used in stores, but for the time being the iPod Touch is much more developed (in terms of available applications) as a multimedia device. That's not to say the Zune isn't capable of this in the near future.
Agreed completely, but I am one of those dudes who looks towards the future, plus as much as I hate to say it, im a closet fan of microsoft products, they really do a great job assuming you dont buy their shit when it first comes out lol.

Trixer,
Top Bottom